Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Guinness in Sydney

Options
  • 31-03-2012 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I had almost given up trying until I found the Duck Inn in Chippendale. It could have been a one off but the Guinness was excellent in there.

Does anywhere else serve proper stuff that doesn't taste like bitter scummy dish water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Welcome Hotel, Rozelle. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Good Guinness does not exist outside of Ireland. The terrible truth right there. I lived in Oz for a couple of years and the amount of times an Irish person who had been living there a few years said "if you are looking for a decent pint then head to O'whatever's pub". I dutifully went along and had an awful pint. I live in Italy now and there is a pub in Rome I was told to go for a Guinness and again, just diabolical.

Sorry folks, if you think it is a decent pint you are having away from the oul' sod, you are fibbing to yourselves. It is a simple pleasure that I miss dearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

population wrote: »
    Good Guinness does not exist outside of Ireland. The terrible truth right there. I lived in Oz for a couple of years and the amount of times an Irish person who had been living there a few years said "if you are looking for a decent pint then head to O'whatever's pub". I dutifully went along and had an awful pint. I live in Italy now and there is a pub in Rome I was told to go for a Guinness and again, just diabolical.

Sorry folks, if you think it is a decent pint you are having away from the oul' sod, you are fibbing to yourselves. It is a simple pleasure that I miss dearly.

Yeah, definitely not going to be as good as a pint at home. I just mentioned the Welcome as it's the best pint out of a bad bunch. Wouldn't compare to any pint at home but it's the best you will find 20,000ks from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

Welcome Hotel, Rozelle. That is all.

Had a few there last night and by far the best pint of Guinness in Sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Interesting point. I believe it has a lot to do with your surroundings as well though. If your sitting in one of the great Dublin Pubs - somewhere like McDaids, Mulligans or Neary's the atmosphere is always great and the punters who drink there are real characters.

Compare that to some Irish 'themed' bar like say Bridie O'Reillys which is plastic, and can be full of muppets the pint is just not the same. The 28 degree weather doesn't help either I suppose

Also worth mentioning that the ol' Guinness quality control team doesn't operate outside Ireland so that's gotta factor into it as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If it was not for Guinness some of us would not go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

$7 Guinness in PJ O'Briens all Month if you want to give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pa_

The pint I had in the Duck Inn was better than an average Irish one. It is frequently sub standard in Ireland but usually drinkable. The head was a bit too foamy but it tasted the way it's meant to taste.

The best Guinness IMO is rarely available in Ireland - the 7.5% export stuff they drink in Africa/Asia, delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The trick is to find a gaff that is pulling plenty of pints, if it's been sitting in the line for a while it's going be rank and will polite your line.

Also Guinness in Australia tend to market the Extra cold stuff, as a rule I never put that stuff near my mouth back home. The draught is what I used to drink and it has a red cap on the keg but the Extra cold has a blue cap, not sure what the difference is inside but its defnitely not just the 2.5C colder as it has a sharper taste.

pa_ wrote: »

The pint I had in the Duck Inn was better than an average Irish one. It is frequently sub standard in Ireland but usually drinkable. The head was a bit too foamy but it tasted the way it's meant to taste.

The best Guinness IMO is rarely available in Ireland - the 7.5% export stuff they drink in Africa/Asia, delicious.

I seen bottles of the extra strong stuff in an offo in st kilda, have to get around to buying a few bottles. Whats it like? But less creamier and more bitter in guessing??

I've had a few 10%-14% porters, such as the Russian imperial stout.. Packs a punch

• Advertisement

Normal Guinness is light and refreshing but the export one is full bodied and you can taste the flavours more. It's slick and goes down easy too, easily the best stout if not overall beer I've drank.

Edit - the 6% "Guinness Extra" they sell in Australia isn't great - it's just carbonated regular Guinness which I don't like. The 7.5% foreign extra is in a different league.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

$6 in the PorterHouse

My favourite irish bar in australia

yeah i said that

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    The trick is to find a gaff that is pulling plenty of pints, if it's been sitting in the line for a while it's going be rank and will polite your line.

Surprised Durty Nellys wasn't mentioned. Prob selling the most Guinness around Sydney consistantly. Considering how small it is say something about the quality I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Welcome Hotel in Rozelle, best pint of Guinness i have had in a while, as good or better than home.

I sampled it in the Welcome hotel. Pretty average - looked the part but tasted a bit bitter/off.

The Rose, The Duck Inn and the Shannon hotel, all in Chippendale have served me up perfect guinness in the last month. Better than the Welcome Hotel and as good as almost anywhere in Ireland.

One thing I don't like is that "extra cold" stuff. It doesn't need to be cold at all.

I know it ain't anywhere near Sydney but the Landsdowne Rd pub in Surfers Paradise is doing $5 PINTS... and they ain't too shabby

Advertisement