Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Majors Fantasy golf

• 31-03-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭

I was thinking of setting up a league for the 4 Majors of golf starting with the Masters next week.

Was thinking of a paid league.....say a fiver a man or even a tenner.
    Open to suggestions:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The golf forum usually run a good competition. No money at stake though.

Not sure if they're doing it this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

How would it work? Is there are site for it?

Always happy to try some non-football fantasy games. The forum needs some alternative sports.

The Irish Times run one but it's for the whole season I think. A new thread has been created over on the Golf forum about it. Only 3 replies so far.

http://irishtimesgolf.fantasyleague.com/index.aspx

As for the competition for the Masters, here's an example of a boards run competition for the 2010 US Open:
    U.S. Open Prediction Competition 2010

Slight change to the rules for this one, following the comments after the Masters.

Each player gets 5 picks:

1. Top 5 - One pick from the top five in the official world golf rankings - Woods, Mickelson, Stricker, Westwood, Furyk

2. British/Irish - One pick from Ireland/Britain (not in the world top 5)

3. Other European - One pick from the European entrants for the tournament (not in the world top 5 or from Britain or Ireland)

4. American - One pick from the American entrants for the tournament (not in the world top 5)

5. Rest of the World - One pick from the non-American and non-European entrants (again not in the world top 5)

A person's score will be determined by the best 4 scores from their 5 players. If two or more picks from any player fail to make the cut, they will be eliminated from the competition.

The closing date for entries is 10am Thursday. It will be up to everyone to make sure their own picks are valid.

In the event of a tie, the person's 5th pick will be taken into consideration.

I will try to post updates after each round but can't guarantee that.

For a list of entrants see: http://www.usopen.com/en_US/scores/groupings/index.html

A lot of work has to be done by whoever organises it. About 60/70 people entered into that competition.

There is potential for a bit of banter as the tournament progresses but that was usually in the main thread.

It's not an easy thing to predict and chances are you'll go completely bust.

I don't think there has been a competition like this for around 2 years on the golf forum. If you went on there and drummed up a bit of support and got people over here I'm sure it'd take off in no length.

From the Irish Times link: "Only teams registered before 13:00 BST on Thursday, 5 April will score points for the first tournament of the competition - the triple-weighted Masters Tournament."

I'd say we're best aiming for that. Those interested can sign up there this week, then we'll at least have an "official score-keeper".

Unless someone wants to take the time to make their own up here and keep track of all our scores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭bazwin

ye i've entered the private league on the Irish Times Fantasy football....free as well....I think last year you had to pay for it.

The fantasy league i was thinking of setting up was at

http://www.4majors.com/

I've being playing in it for the last few years. Came third last year.

I can set up a private league if there's interest plus you still have a chance to win prizes in the overall competition :)

• Advertisement

Looks good alright.

I just have a question about one of the rules.

"The only restriction is that the same golfer cannot be selected on your team for all four majors."

Does this mean we need 20 separate golfers (5 for each tournament)?
    Or is it just referring to the "main man" selection, and you can have the same 5 in each tournament, but only use an individual as "main man" once?
    Or does it mean once you have a "main man", you can't use him again at all in future tournaments?

Never mind. Just read elsewhere "...each golfer can only be selected for a maximum of three tournaments!" - that clears up my question. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I just signed up for that. Let me know if you set up a mini league.
    bazwin wrote: »
    ye i've entered the private league on the Irish Times Fantasy football....free as well....I think last year you had to pay for it.

The fantasy league i was thinking of setting up was at

http://www.4majors.com/

I've being playing in it for the last few years. Came third last year.

I can set up a private league if there's interest plus you still have a chance to win prizes in the overall competition :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I used to do the Yahoo Fantasy Golf. It was enjoyable!

Oh I've joined the 4 majors one if we're gonna have a competition there.

I haven't followed golf enough in the last few years to be throwing money at it, so I made a FSA league just for fun. I'll leave any money leagues to you pros. :)

Here's a link to the league, but I think you need to click "My Mini Leagues > Join Mini Leagues" then enter the password.

Password: harrington

I won't be doing paid leagues either coz I'm a tight arse! I've joined carlcon's league...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭bazwin

ok folks.....I've setup a paid league. 10 euro entry fee. I can accept payment through Paypal or through 2 other poker sites i play regularly on .

If you can P.M your email address when payment has been sent. I can then foward you on the password :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Also a tight arse so i joined the free one..........

carlcon wrote: »
    I haven't followed golf enough in the last few years to be throwing money at it, so I made a FSA league just for fun. I'll leave any money leagues to you pros. :)

Here's a link to the league, but I think you need to click "My Mini Leagues > Join Mini Leagues" then enter the password.

Password: harrington

Cheers, just joined. Someone else in there has a VERY similar name to me!!

Had Mahan in my team, and now he's gone and won this week! Might have to drop him now!

I literally know nothing of current form. Going mostly by past results. K.J Choi had a very consitent tournament last year, he could be retired now for all I know, but he's in my team! :p

Had Mahan in my team, and now he's gone and won this week! Might have to drop him now!

Ha I don't think anyone has ever won the week before and then gone on to win the Masters.
    I literally know nothing of current form. Going mostly by past results. K.J Choi had a very consitent tournament last year, he could be retired now for all I know, but he's in my team! :p

He's still playing. Hasn't been a great season for him though. He is usually in the mix around Friday or Saturday of the Majors. Unfortunately he lacks the staying power and then he collapses on the Sunday. He could have had a few Majors by now imo if he was able to close the deal.

Cheers, just joined. Someone else in there has a VERY similar name to me!!

Are you being cheeky with two teams? :pac:

I kid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Aha we can see each others teams brilliant :p

Does anyone else look at the people's real names and then look at their boards usernames and see if they match up? Or am I just weird?

Carlcon is fairly easy to figure out!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Does anyone else look at the people's real names and then look at their boards usernames and see if they match up? Or am I just weird?

Carlcon is fairly easy to figure out!

With the internet being what it is, I assume most saw "Mary" and panicked, knowing a woman was in their midst. :p

And yes, my username clearly took a lot of time to develop. :pac:

With the internet being what it is, I assume most saw "Mary" and panicked, knowing a woman was in their midst. :p

And yes, my username clearly took a lot of time to develop. :pac:

Haha, yeah I have a mind game advantage without even trying too hard! It usually means nothing when I consistently do crap in Fantasy games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Just signed up now. It appears my team is unique, which given my knowledge of golf is probably not a good thing :D

cmonnnnnnn Steve Stricker :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Joined there for the craic. Doing fairly well in the F1:).

Micko my main man for the golf. Should at least get a run for my, well you know what i mean.

Joined there for the craic. Doing fairly well in the F1:).

Micko my main man for the golf. Should at least get a run for my, well you know what i mean.

golfballs?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

manual_man wrote: »
    golfballs?

Exactly:)

I've made us a new thread, specifically for the first tournament of the 4: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77946927#post77946927

With the football winding down, it won't hurt to get used to having other sports with their own "matchday" threads.

So I just logged into the 4 majors webiste this morning, and I see the boards league is still there.

Will people be playing this year? I thought it was a bit of craic, easy to pick a team, and only have to pick players 4 times a year.

Anyway, I've picked my players - no Rory...controversial!!

Advertisement