Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fin removal

Options
  • 31-03-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

hi
    i was thinking of removing the two outer fins from an 8foot 4 bic board. leaving big center one. has anyone tried this and what was it like surfing......or is this a crap idea...what ye reckon

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It will turn better if you leave the two fins in as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Try it out. I reckon you'll probably need a bigger longboard style fin fin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

elheffe wrote: »
    hi
    i was thinking of removing the two outer fins from an 8foot 4 bic board. leaving big center one. has anyone tried this and what was it like surfing......or is this a crap idea...what ye reckon

you should definitely try it for the craic and to learn.
    those side fins would dig in most when you've turned and are trimming on the wave, without them you're going to be a lot slippier in the tail i'd imagine.
    don't think it's going to work particularly well since the fin in that board is prob not a longboard style big fin.
    my biggest longboard is single fin but it's about 9 inches or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

elheffe wrote: »
    hi

Nobody has asked this yet...

Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I would recommend trying it out, as you have said, the centre fin is bigger than the other two, so you will still have some control.

It is a good idea to try it as it is, then take a break during the session and take out the side fins and try and see how it feels different. Great to learn about your board and what you want out of it. Even though your board is a minimal, I would also encourage you to take out the centre fin and leave in the side ones just to get another different feel. The board will likely feel much looser.

Experimenting with different boards, different fin types / set ups can be good fun but think about what you have done and how it feels, you will learn more and more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭elheffe

interesting one.... going to try it out during the week, something different and interesting..... thanks for all the replies...
    cheers

Advertisement