Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Software Engineering ?

Options
  • 31-03-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm currently finish a level 7 degree in Civil Eng and next year I can go on to level 8 Civil but I can also do this course http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/courses/higherdiplomaincomputing/ (higher diploma in computing) when I finish that course I can go on to do MSc in Software Eng. Do you think this is a good choice and are there many jobs in this field.
    The reason I ask is because whilst I like Civil Eng. I don't see many job opportunities in Civil and as I'm in my 30's with a wife and kids I don't want to emigrate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

If I were you I would do the Level 8 in Civil first then worry about the Diploma/MSc.

A lot of jobs still require a Level 8(Honours) Degree and its handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

So what your saying to me is that a level 8 (honours) degree is better than a masters, that doesn't make sense to me mate

What I am saying is that a lot of companies initially look for a level 8 irrespective of the Masters.

If for instances you only did the level 7 and higher diploma in computing you may not pass the initial screening as you do not have a level 8. (I believe Intel for instance requires a minimum of Level 8 so even if you had the Masters you may not get an interview as you only have a level 7).

Having the Level 8 looks better on the CV and also gives you a fall back in that you could get work as a Civil Eng if you needed to. (which would be harder with the level 7).

If I were you I would finish the level 8 and try and go directly to a M.Sc bypassing the Higher Diploma.

The higher diploma is a LEVEL 8 does this not count, bit confused here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I have never seen a company look for a masters in soft eng, I think it would be a year wasted. Best to get out in the work place and get experience. a degree is a starting point and is very quickly replaced by years experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Smoggy wrote: »
    I have never seen a company look for a masters in soft eng, I think it would be a year wasted. Best to get out in the work place and get experience.

I agree.

Guys I think your missing the point, if you look at the link http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/courses/higherdiplomaincomputing/ the higher dip in computing is for people like me who want to switch to computers but seen as its just one year surly I would need the masters to get me up to the level of a graduate who has been studing computer science for 3/4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

UCD have a MSc Conversion course that says they require a level 8 but I think they are flexible - worth looking into anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Smoggy wrote: »
    I have never seen a company look for a masters in soft eng...

I've seen company's look for people educated at the MSc. level, Google and IBM to name but two. Also a lot of jobs will ask for a BSc. in Computer Science or equivalent. This is more than equivalent.

OP I think this is a good idea, the diploma cross trains you and the MSc. gives you a chance to demonstrate expertise which is important when lacking work experience. The link doesn't provide an actual syllabus though so I can't comment on this particular course.

I still think the op would be better getting his Level 8 degree in Civil and then doing a conversion course.

A level 8 degree is a level 8 degree.

• Advertisement

Evil Phil wrote: »
    I've seen company's look for people educated at the MSc. level, Google and IBM to name but two. Also a lot of jobs will ask for a BSc. in Computer Science or equivalent. This is more than equivalent.

OP I think this is a good idea, the diploma cross trains you and the MSc. gives you a chance to demonstrate expertise which is important when lacking work experience. The link doesn't provide an actual syllabus though so I can't comment on this particular course.
    Thanks for the reply evil phil
    here is the masters http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/courses/mscinsoftwareengineeringft/ , let me know what you think bro

From reading the link the minimum entry requirements are a Honours Degree (Grade 2.2) which afaik is a Level 8 Degree.

I know I sound like a broken record but do the Level 8 in Civil.

You will be a fully qualified Civil Eng. You can then do a conversion course or even look for work as a Civil Eng.

I bet in 10 years time you will be glad you have the level 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

amen, being fully qualified in civil engineering will go no way in helping the OP get into IT ... and no IT company is going to hire OP because of his level 8 Civil Engineering degree. OP is in his 30s with a wife and kids and I know if I was in his shoes I wouldn't want to sit around and wait another year to become fully qualified in a field where no jobs exist.

I have lots of friends who did Civil Engineering - all very intelligent lads - and now they are all out working in Oz after many months unemployed here.

amen wrote: »
    From reading the link the minimum entry requirements are a Honours Degree (Grade 2.2) which afaik is a Level 8 Degree.

I know I sound like a broken record but do the Level 8 in Civil.

You will be a fully qualified Civil Eng. You can then do a conversion course or even look for work as a Civil Eng.

I bet in 10 years time you will be glad you have the level 8.
    If you read the thread properly the first link http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/courses/higherdiplomaincomputing/ will get me into the masters, so basically I will have a masters in two years, the way your telling me to do it is get my civil level 8 (which takes 2 years) and then go down the it route which will take another 2 years, so I'll be in the same both in 4 years, plus I will only get funding for one level 8 course,
    I think I've made my mind up, thanks for your opinion guys

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

bennyineire,

Have you considered doing a L7 in Software Development? I did a Level 7 in Software, went out on work placement for six months in my third year, was offered full time work at that company and have never looked back. Once you're out there working, and building up years of experience, no company cares hugely whether the degree you are holding is a 7 or an 8! The company I work for are crying out for developers -- and currently interviewing graduates out of college. They won't turn someone away because they only have a level 7 but they definitely aren't interviewing Civil Engineering students ;)

I will probably do the Level 8 someday - there is talk in the college of offering it remotely, so I'll probably end up on that road eventually.

The reason I am suggesting that is that I think (and everyone else is more than welcome to correct me here) that you might learn more doing the Level 7 than you might do trying to do a hdip and masters - where you will be sitting around people who have all of the ground work and time done.

As I'm already doing a level 7 I won't get funding for another level 7, if I want to go the I.T. route I think doing the hDip and masters is my only route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hey guys, I'm currently finish a level 7 degree in Civil Eng and next year I can go on to level 8 Civil but I can also do this course http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/courses/higherdiplomaincomputing/ (higher diploma in computing) when I finish that course I can go on to do MSc in Software Eng. Do you think this is a good choice and are there many jobs in this field.
    The reason I ask is because whilst I like Civil Eng. I don't see many job opportunities in Civil and as I'm in my 30's with a wife and kids I don't want to emigrate.

I would spend one year finishing the civil degree then one year doing the masters conversion course in UCD, same timescale no? And you have a full degree and a full masters instead of a diploma and a masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I did a level 8 Graduate Diploma in DCU and then a Computer Science Masters in UCD. Took me 2 years and about €4k in fees, didn't have a problem getting an inverview for graduate jobs after that. I do some helping out with graduate recruitment for my current company and they told me I wouldn't have got an interview without a Masters. The big companies with minimum requirements just scan all CVs and bin the ones that don't meet them.

Would disagree with some of the opinions on this thread. If you want to work in software development then go straight to the Computer Science Masters if you can get in. Finishing the civil degree would be a year wasted, not the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I've been through something very similar in a previous recession. Basically, the market for civil in Ireland is awful with tales of long hours and less than minimum wage, but healthy enough abroad. So if you continue civil, you'll have to emigrate.

Advertisement