Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Coarse Fishing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CoarseForTench

COYW wrote: »
    Plumb for depth like the other posters have mentioned. One thing though, if you are fishing off the bottom your float will not have to go under or dip to indicate a bite, particularly if you are fishing for the likes of tench or bream. They feed off the bottom and will lift the bait causing your float to rise out of the water, so keep an eye for this.

So wait, Do I want the bait to hit and lay on the ground or do I want it higher up in the water for perch and roach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Like I said, I've never seen it before. I'll try it out over the weekend and see if it makes a difference.

Yes its worth trying if you are fishing with the float right on the line. If you are using a eyed float rubber its not so important as these will fold anyway.

If you are using a standard match rod put a big bodied waggler on, clamp it tight and drop it in the water. Pull it sideways and see if you can feel the drag from the float and look at the float as it moves through the water.

Then add a gap and repeat, you should see the float now folds more easily and drag should be less. it will be most noticeable with the bigger floats but the effect is the same for smaller ones.

This is the idea:

Float.jpg

So wait, Do I want the bait to hit and lay on the ground or do I want it higher up in the water for perch and roach?

For tench and bream generally you want the bait lying on the bottom. Roach and perch will take baits lying on the bottom and suspended in the water - you can vary on the day and see how they are feeding.

If you are feeding a trickle of maggots little and ofter they might well come up in the water.

tin79 wrote: »
    For tench and bream generally you want the bait lying on the bottom. Roach and perch will take baits lying on the bottom and suspended in the water - you can vary on the day and see how they are feeding.

If you are feeding a trickle of maggots little and ofter they might well come up in the water.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yes its worth trying if you are fishing with the float right on the line. If you are using a eyed float rubber its not so important as these will fold anyway.

If you are using a standard match rod put a big bodied waggler on, clamp it tight and drop it in the water. Pull it sideways and see if you can feel the drag from the float and look at the float as it moves through the water.

Then add a gap and repeat, you should see the float now folds more easily and drag should be less. it will be most noticeable with the bigger floats but the effect is the same for smaller ones.

This is the idea:

Float.jpg

My waggler fishing on canals is limited as i'd normally use a pole but it makes sense.

Thats the great thing abput fishing, theres always something to be learned.

• Advertisement

[IMG]http://Waggler rig 3.gif[/IMG]

This is the rig I'm planning on using with my 3lb line, Size 14 hook and '2No.4's' (That's what it says on the float) stick float.

Would this work on a canal and with my type of stick float?

Hopefully the picture will come out

*EDIT*: Sorry, It didn't come out. I've said this before but here it is: (The first one down) http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/rigs/float_fishing_rigs/14455-the-basic-waggler-rig.html

2 no 4's is very light.

2 no 4's is very light.

I'm not too sure if you know or not, I didn't say it too clearly, What I mean by '2No.4's' is my stick float, well, It says in small writing '2No.4's' I don't mean '2No.4's' as in the shot weights.

I'm not too sure if you know or not, I didn't say it too clearly, What I mean by '2No.4's' is my stick float, well, It says in small writing '2No.4's' I don't mean '2No.4's' as in the shot weights.

That usually means that it only takes 2 No 4's to cock the float.

My waggler fishing on canals is limited as i'd normally use a pole but it makes sense.

Thats the great thing abput fishing, theres always something to be learned.

Yeah it would be most noticeable at long range with a big bodied waggler.

I think that is what keeps me enjoying fishing alright after so long (getting close to 30 years) so many options and new things to learn.

I started off waggler fishing on the canals, took up fly fishing, fly fishing on the midland lakes, did some salmon angling, then pole fishing on the canals, then pike, lure fishing for pike and perch, then back to the canals for tench, did a little carp fishing, few summers catfishing, got more into sea fishing, ray and conger, wrasse on the float, bass, stick float on small rivers, boat angling at sea, tope and spurdog, surface fishing for rudd, trolling for big trout.

Such great variety.

I would say at the moment my favourites would be float fishing for big wrasse and stick float fishing on the rivers.

• Advertisement

Maybe you guys can help me with something. Where would be a good, Quiet spot on the grand canal? I wouldn't really like to fish near the city center with all the gougers swimming in the canal and causing chaos. Again, Somewhere quiet and isolated that has a good stock of fish.

Also, Do I cast normally or do I just 'lob' it on a canal?

Anyone want to help? I'm going tomorrow :)

around hazelhatch is a decent spot and should tick your boxes.

around hazelhatch is a decent spot and should tick your boxes.

Thanks

Well, I'm off in an hour to the grand canal, I'll tell you guys how I got on

Jesus This is embarrassing, I went to the tackle shop and they had no No.8's, So I'll go tursday. Right now I have AAA's, BB's, 6's, 4's and 1's. All my floats are labeled 2No.4's.
    Anyone have a diagram of a rig I could make out of those shot weights and floats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

my advice would be to go with what you have! you already have a lot more tackle than I had when i started :) you have number 6 shots, which are 1/2 the size of number 4. so just use two number 6 shots instead of 1 number 4. this may come in very handy when you run out/lose a particular size shot. I have all the weights wrote on my seatbox in marker :)

Fishing is not an exact sceince, far from it. you dont need exact rigs, fancy floats, fancy shotting patterns, propper rods, propper reels to catch fish. Learning where to fish in the water, what floats to use, what rods to use, what shotting pattern to use.....will come with experiece. for the moment, id advice to try and get somebody to show you the ropes at the river/cannal bank if possible. This way they can give you tips on everything from mixing ground bait to hooking maggots and you wont develop bad habbits. Tight Lines

my advice would be to go with what you have! you already have a lot more tackle than I had when i started :) you have number 6 shots, which are 1/2 the size of number 4. so just use two number 6 shots instead of 1 number 4. this may come in very handy when you run out/lose a particular size shot. I have all the weights wrote on my seatbox in marker :)

Fishing is not an exact sceince, far from it. you dont need exact rigs, fancy floats, fancy shotting patterns, propper rods, propper reels to catch fish. Learning where to fish in the water, what floats to use, what rods to use, what shotting pattern to use.....will come with experiece. for the moment, id advice to try and get somebody to show you the ropes at the river/cannal bank if possible. This way they can give you tips on everything from mixing ground bait to hooking maggots and you wont develop bad habbits. Tight Lines

Thank you, that's all I want to know. I guess the only reason I'm out to get all the fancy and good quality gear is because when I normally fish, I literally can't catch a thing! I swear to god, you go fishing with me for 10 hours, you'll catch something but I wouldn't even catch a cold hahaha. Again thanks!

Went fishing in hazelhatch today, Didn't even get a bite :( (Same as usual). I'm looking up coarse fishing tutors near dublin right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Went fishing in hazelhatch today, Didn't even get a bite :( (Same as usual). I'm looking up coarse fishing tutors near dublin right now...

That's a shame, it's easy for us to explain in our own words how to set up but it's difficult putting it into practice without someone there to show you.
    I'm sure someone here will invite you to a session somewhere, I know I would if I was planning any coarse fishing. I get great satisfaction teaching someone how to fish and watching them catch thier first fish.

• Advertisement

That's a shame, it's easy for us to explain in our own words how to set up but it's difficult putting it into practice without someone there to show you.
    I'm sure someone here will invite you to a session somewhere, I know I would if I was planning any coarse fishing. I get great satisfaction teaching someone how to fish and watching them catch thier first fish.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

if you get one good lesson you will learn a lot, and after catching a few fish you will get confidence! I was in the same boat until i was shown the ropes, never caught a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

If you can make it to Kilcock tomorrow evening il give you a few hours on how to catch fish

louthguy25 wrote: »
    If you can make it to Kilcock tomorrow evening il give you a few hours on how to catch fish

I don't think I can make it, Sorry, I have something important on, Thanks anyway :)

Last night was hard fishing ruined a bit by a canal boat steaming through the swim but still managed a bream of about 2lb, a small roach and a small perch il let you know next time im heading out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Last night was hard fishing ruined a bit by a canal boat steaming through the swim but still managed a bream of about 2lb, a small roach and a small perch il let you know next time im heading out

I always found the swim would light up about ten minutes after a boat passed, just me??

god, I would love to have your talent to be able to catch fish...

On another note sounds tempting to go with you next time, I Hope you wouldn't mind? I'm 16 by the way

Ah its not that im any good at it, i just learned tips and tricks from other fishermen and after a few years you just get to notice little things that someone new to fishing wouldnt...

Yea il show you the ropes next time i go to kilcock as i have a lovely swim set out up there, can you make weekdays or evenings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Ah its not that im any good at it, i just learned tips and tricks from other fishermen and after a few years you just get to notice little things that someone new to fishing wouldnt...

I fished there yday and caught some night roach on maggot. Changed to corn and a cocktail of corn and red maggot later, post 7pm, as I was getting blighted by roach about an ounce or so on the drop. Was using a 16 hook, fishing off the bottom on the waggler. Needed to drop down to an 18 or 20 for them.

Was feeding a mix of corn and maggot for the 5 hours or so I was there. Switching to corn was a good move as I bagged a few big roach and a hybrid. Will pop up and ground bait a swim there and also pre-bait before I fish there next time.

Advertisement