Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Roasting Joint

Options
  • 31-03-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

So I'm cooking roast beef today and I have a beef roasting joint from Dunnes. I know there are plenty of threads on here about how to cook various joints of beef, but my problem is that it doesn't actually say what cut of beef it is. Nowhere does it say whether it is a round roast, rib roast or whatever.

All it says is beef roasting joint. Any ideas what it is likely to be and how to tackle cooking it to achieve something approaching medium rare. Cheers in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

If it's boneless, which it probably is, I would reckon on 15 minutes per pound at about 160 degrees. Then I would let it rest for at least 20 minutes somewhere warm.

Size and shape comes into this as well - something wide and flat will cook faster than something more compact.

Do all your normal rubbing and seasoning before you start cooking.

You can always give a too rare slice a minute under a grill, or similar. It's impossible to take something overcooked back to rare!

Advertisement