Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giving my cat pills

• 31-03-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭

hi all, im hoping someone can give me a bit of advice. i have a 10 month old tom cat who got attacked by a stray cat a few days ago. i had to bring him to the vet because his leg swelled up. turns out, it got infected. the veterinarian gave me anti-biotic pills to give to him but im not quiet sure how to do it and im feeling a bit anxious about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

If they are big you might need to half them. I usually put a pill (or half a pill) into a little tuna and feed by hand. The smell of the tuna, and their excitement at getting it, often means they don't notice I am giving them a pill ;).

You might have to do this when they are particularly hungary though so make sure to do it before he eats. And check that they don't spit out the pill.

If attempts to give the pill doesn't work there is some new injectable antibiotic they can sometimes use now, though it might not suit every infection type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

you can open his mouth by lightly squeezing the sides....keep the sides squeezed to keep his mouth open and then place the pill on the back of his tongue.
    then gently hold his mouth closed until he swallows...if he doesnt swallow gently rub his adams apple area and he should swallow
    ive seen my vet do this and its the easiest way for mine, they are very clever about eating around pills and sniffing them out!

heres a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsOg5ArX3vQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would just mix it into the cat's favorite food and wait until feeding time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

If you are unable to give pills to your cat, ask for the medicine in liquid form. This is what we do. We then mix the medicine with our cat's favourite gravy based food.

We tried giving pills a few years ago, without success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Some good advice here:

http://www.ukvetsonline.co.uk/medicating-your-cat

A Pill Popper syringe will help to save your fingers - most Vets sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If he'l take them in food you can half it or crush it up into wet food. If not then you'l have to shove it down his throat.
    Easiest Most effective method is to place your left hand over his head and place an index finger and thumb either side of his mouth into the little crevice behind the big canines, then hold the tablet in the other hand between your index and thumb and use your little finger to push down his lower law and place the tablet as far back as you can on top of his tongue, as far back as you can, it'l feel like your sticking it too far back but if it's too far forward he'l use his tongue to spit it out, as soon as you've the tablet placed shut his mouth tight but keep the head elevated back a bit, then massage the throat or blow on his nose until he swallows a few times. Your first attempt is really your only attempt, your chances of success decrease rapidly each time as he'l grow wise! If you've nobody to hold him for you then wrap him all up in a towel leaving only the head out and squash him in between your legs until your nearly sitting on him, best method I'v found for restraining when I'm on my own and don't want my arms to resemble paper going through a shredder!

Alternatively there are little green pill poppers that you stick the pill into the end and shoot the pill into his mouth, not foolproof though as if you don't get the placement right they can still spit them out. If tablets are still a complete no go then go back to the vets, there is a long acting antibiotic injection you can get that lasts 14 days, more expensive than pills but less stress for both of ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Zapperzy wrote: »
    If he'l take them in food you can half it or crush it up into wet food. If not then you'l have to shove it down his throat.
    Easiest Most effective method is to place your left hand over his head and place an index finger and thumb either side of his mouth into the little crevice behind the big canines, then hold the tablet in the other hand between your index and thumb and use your little finger to push down his lower law and place the tablet as far back as you can on top of his tongue, as far back as you can, it'l feel like your sticking it too far back but if it's too far forward he'l use his tongue to spit it out, as soon as you've the tablet placed shut his mouth tight but keep the head elevated back a bit, then massage the throat or blow on his nose until he swallows a few times. Your first attempt is really your only attempt, your chances of success decrease rapidly each time as he'l grow wise! If you've nobody to hold him for you then wrap him all up in a towel leaving only the head out and squash him in between your legs until your nearly sitting on him, best method I'v found for restraining when I'm on my own and don't want my arms to resemble paper going through a shredder!

Alternatively there are little green pill poppers that you stick the pill into the end and shoot the pill into his mouth, not foolproof though as if you don't get the placement right they can still spit them out. If tablets are still a complete no go then go back to the vets, there is a long acting antibiotic injection you can get that lasts 14 days, more expensive than pills but less stress for both of ye!

Not sure, but aren't there tablets which are not supposed to be crushed? Like time release antibiotics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Not sure, but aren't there tablets which are not supposed to be crushed? Like time release antibiotics?

Not aware of any that can't be crushed, maybe there are some. If the OP knows the name of the tablets I know a few that definitely can be crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

If I ever have to give a cat tablets that can't go in his food, I do this...
    • Kneel on the floor with the cat between my knees facing away from me
    • Close my heels together so they can't back out
    • Hold face, and put fingers in corner of their mouth which makes them open it
    • Throw in pill quickly ;) and hold mouth shut for a few seconds in the hope that they swallow it!

I have to give tablets to my cat starting tomorrow, pretty much the same thing happened to ours but on his face. Luckily they can both go in his food and as he is spoiled he gets half a pouch of food we should be OK! :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Zapperzy wrote: »
    If you've nobody to hold him for you then wrap him all up in a towel leaving only the head out and squash him in between your legs until your nearly sitting on him, best method I'v found for restraining when I'm on my own and don't want my arms to resemble paper going through a shredder!

I should have properly read your post properly first! Great minds think alike...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I pop them into a piece of soft cheese, the low low triangles. They eat it no problem for me! No scratches, shoving or squishing involved! Feed them a bit of cheese without the pill first to give em a taste for it though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

hi all, thank you for replying. its greatly appreciated !! my room mate gave him the pills while i held his mouth open. it was nt too difficult and he swallowed the pills with no problem.

Advertisement