Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need inspiration-edging for beds

Options
  • 31-03-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

i always get great advice here, now i need more advice/ideas

i have an area of concrete to side of house. it runs 125feet. i want to edge it with something, so far i have thought of railway sleepers, but i'm not mad about those
    when it is edged, i want to fill with soil and have beds, they will back oout onto a lawn
    ideally i would love to have a little brick wall, maybe a half a foot high running the whole length. i've been looking at bricks. some lovely ones but they have holes in them, so when the wall would be built, what could i put into the holes? i would probably need a top for the wall, but that will increase the cost
    i saw some lovely bricks in a hardware with no holes but the sales assistant said that they are really only for indoors.

does anyone have any ideas to make this area more than an eyesore!
    hoping someone might have some ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

125 foot of concrete, is that a typo, what are the dimensions or a photo would be great. i have a concrete area at my house where a shed used to be it was fences off but was an eye sore. there also was a stack of about ten pallets. i cleaned off the pallets and concrete build four raised beds for vege's and i'm putting up a diy picket fence from more pallets to go around my vegetable plot. all in so far i haven't spent a thing except for seeds. an idea for you depending on the size of the area is to build the red bricks as normal but turn the top row o n their sides and plant marigolds or something in the holes which would then hang down over the wall and look very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    125 foot of concrete, is that a typo, what are the dimensions or a photo would be great. i have a concrete area at my house where a shed used to be it was fences off but was an eye sore. there also was a stack of about ten pallets. i cleaned off the pallets and concrete build four raised beds for vege's and i'm putting up a diy picket fence from more pallets to go around my vegetable plot. all in so far i haven't spent a thing except for seeds. an idea for you depending on the size of the area is to build the red bricks as normal but turn the top row o n their sides and plant marigolds or something in the holes which would then hang down over the wall and look very nice.

Your veg plot sounds really lovely and thats a great idea to plant into the top of the wall. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Similar situation myself last month.

Didnt know what to do with a long narrow patch down the side of the driveway.

My girlfriend dug it all up and transformed it with a raised bed made from railway sleepers.

2.35 tons worth of new topsoil,farmyard manure,grit and fertiliser pellets mixed in.

Bareroot hornbeam hedging planted and thats then underplanted with around 150 "lilley of the valley" which will spread/multiply over time.

These will flower in mid to late May and give off lovely white flowers with strong scent too.The bees will love it.:)

Just my 2 cents worth and maybe give you a few ideas?

Regards..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

that looks great and such an improvement from what was there. its amazing what can be done with a bit of imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

thanks for the ideas guys
    nope, 125ft...its not a typo!
    i am not able to upload photos....
    i know a picture tells a thousand words. its almost like a courtyard

its a big area of concrete, a rectangular shape. the length of the area is 45ft and the width is 80ft, but i only need to edge 125ft (one length and one width), as the house comes up to one side and there is hedging on the other.

i really like the idea of bricks, paddy your area is transformed lovely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement