Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom speed increase

Options
  • 31-03-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Quick one lads, I have a 7mb package with eircom. I just noticed today that im downloading at over double the speed. My router says that my speed is 15355/765 (kbps):confused: I hope im not jinxing now. Have eircom upgraded speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you done a speed test online?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The speed test online would be less accurate if anything than what the router reports. It seems that eircom have indeed substantially increased the speed of that line. They've upgraded most of the old top-tier ADSL packages to "up to 24mb" whenever their exchange is upgraded to ADSL2 over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Speedtest.net gives me a speed of 13.08 Mbps. So do you reckon eircom have accidently notched up my speed or is it ligit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom forum.

If you're on NGB, you get the highest speed your line can handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

What area are you in? Eircom have been doing some stuff related to their FTTC rollout in some exchanges. Maybe that explains your speed boost.

Unfortunately I lost 1000kbps on my NGB connection last week, again presumeably related to some work they did on the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I never requested to go onto the NGB & I have not been informed if I have been switched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Quick one lads, I have a 7mb package with eircom. I just noticed today that im downloading at over double the speed. My router says that my speed is 15355/765 (kbps):confused: I hope im not jinxing now. Have eircom upgraded speeds?

Hi Richard tea,

Thanks for your post. If you PM your phone number I can check which broadband package you are currently on.

*NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times.
    NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases). See www.ngb.ie for more information.

If you need Technical Support directly :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 8am - 10pm (7 days).

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement