Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best place to live in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Competition announced in today's Irish times for the best place to live in Ireland.

For me there is no contest - it's Waterford city. And I'm not a Waterfordian, I've lived in several different Irish cities, and the quality of life in Waterford is second to none.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/0331/1224314147840.html?via=mr

Limerick?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 decriain

Has already been decided =sniff= my hometown, Carlingford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Competition announced in today's Irish times for the best place to live in Ireland.

For me there is no contest - it's Waterford city. And I'm not a Waterfordian, I've lived in several different Irish cities, and the quality of life in Waterford is second to none.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/0331/1224314147840.html?via=mr

Ah i have to disagree, one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, one of the worst places for radon occuring gases in homes, one of the worst hospitals in the country?

Theres many much better counties than Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Ah i have to disagree, one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, one of the worst places for radon occuring gases in homes, one of the worst hospitals in the country?

Unemployment yes, radon is bad thoughout most of Ireland, worse in west than here. Besides, the radon issue is well highlighted at this stage, if you are concerned, you should have a vent fitted which pretty much takes care of the issue. All newer houses would have been fitted with a radon barrier also. http://www.rpii.ie/radon-map.aspx

You are plain incorrect on WRH, the service out there is fantastic especially when you consider the budget there is a lot less than hospitals seeing similar patient number. Added to that WRH was the first hospital in the country to get a Green rating from HSE (most others on red or amber)
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0226/health.html

Maybe you meant one of the worst funded hospitals as the stats for patients seen and funding show WRH to be one of if not the most efficient major hospital in the country. All this is happening when the HSE is meant to have a policy of the money going with the patients, this is clearly not happening and money is being given out according to politics.

Spank monkey, that statement to me smacks of someone giving out just for the sake of giving out, complaining about their area when they dont know the true picture, the grass is greener etc. Not only are you doing the mgt. and staff of WRH a disservice but you are leaving your local area and people down also. May i suggest you contact the IDA, Ministers for jobs, TDs highlighting the employment situation. Also, some positivity about our own area would be beneficial for keeping people's morale up and positivity. Im all for complaining when i see inefficiencies and downright parish pump politics in this country but at the end of the day, Waterford is a great place to live, Im sick of Waterford people bad-mouthing the place,if you dont feel like that why are you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Instead of spouting the standard negative crap that you get on this site, why don’t you explain why these other places are so much better? You must have lived in a lot of places around Ireland to be so sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Waterford County Rocks!!!!

The city has so so so much potential & I really hope it is realised!

Dungarvan ticks all the boxes for me! (& No I am not from the town)

When you all start patting yourselves on the back standards drop! The less critical you are the less gets sorted, if you really are proud to be irish youd accept that the place isnt in the running for one of the best places to live and focus on what needs to be done to get it upto spec. although Ireland in general, as said often before in the media and other places is a kip. I think one of the biggest problems is its people thinking that its so great, whats so great about it any than any other country? nothing!

and as for waterford regional, id rather be operated on in cambodia than WRH nothing against the staff, its the MRSA thats taking over the place, I wouldnt want to be opened up in that hospital as youll come out sicker than when you go in, Ive heard so many stories of "Operation a complete success but MRSA was stronger"

If you dont like what i say just ignore me simples

My name was copied off another name on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

, its the MRSA thats taking over the place,

You are funny, you make 'the' MRSA sound like the Nazis marching in to Poland.

I love visiting Waterford City as ive said on another thread but Galway is my favourite and of course my beloved home town of Dundalk!

Spanky people can be positive without having the hear no evil see no evil Waterford tinted goggles on. Knocking everything does not move things forward it is counter-productive and morale sapping, believe me I know having worked in the Public Sector(yes those nasty people who are all at fault for everything)!! Some paddys could live in Utopia and still find something to complain about:mad:

As for WRH, in fairness it was the third worst ranked hospital about 3-4 years ago for cleanliness. Much effort was put in to turn this 'round but it takes an age to get some of the 'egos' in such work places to change work practice from the cleaners to consultants...bring back the scary matrons i say. I always found this hard to imagine as Our Ladys, Drogheda as my old regional hospital is awful as i'm sure you all know from watching news, scandal after scandal. As for patient care, well a building is just a building and the staff all tend to be educated at the same insitiutions nationwide; Frontline staff have their limitations and do their best with the very odd idiotic exception. If things have gone bad it is to do with inept mananagement and their lack of medical insight in policy development(the sort of policy that makes supervising cleaning the responsibility of a jumped up pen pusher)!! Off topic i know...

When you all start patting yourselves on the back standards drop! The less critical you are the less gets sorted, if you really are proud to be irish youd accept that the place isnt in the running for one of the best places to live and focus on what needs to be done to get it upto spec. although Ireland in general, as said often before in the media and other places is a kip. I think one of the biggest problems is its people thinking that its so great, whats so great about it any than any other country? nothing!

and as for waterford regional, id rather be operated on in cambodia than WRH nothing against the staff, its the MRSA thats taking over the place, I wouldnt want to be opened up in that hospital as youll come out sicker than when you go in, Ive heard so many stories of "Operation a complete success but MRSA was stronger"

If you dont like what i say just ignore me simples

My name was copied off another name on here

We could choose to ignore you but why not easily poke holes in the credibility (or lack of) in your post. Backed up with nothing but a stream of negativity and rumour. I dont think many people on here could be termed 'cock-eyed optimists', we all have pointed out things that are wrong. A lot of us here have tried to be proactive about the jobs issue, being critical points out bad things but it doesnt sort anything, that is the Irish attitude of complaining for the sake of it and doing nothing proactive.

As i said before spankmonkey, if you are so negative about the place, why not leave, you'll be complaining about your new home in no time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

If you go anything short of saying that Waterford is the best place in the world to live then people here will usually tell you to move somewhere else if it's so terrible. It's one thing being proud of where you live or where you're from but some people are deluded. I'd say if you compained about global warming on this board some people would ask you why you don't move to another ****ing planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

letsbet wrote: »
    If you go anything short of saying that Waterford is the best place in the world to live then people here will usually tell you to move somewhere else if it's so terrible. It's one thing being proud of where you live or where you're from but some people are deluded. I'd say if you compained about global warming on this board some people would ask you why you don't move to another ****ing planet.

Yup some people are very sensitive about dear old Waterford, be prepared to get lynched if the town is mentioned in any bad light.

S28382 wrote: »
    Yup some people are very sensitive about dear old Waterford, be prepared to get lynched if the town is mentioned in any bad light.

I think most on here have a healthy positive attitude to Waterford while some are just moaning and negative consistent complainers. I think what really annoys people is this overly negative attitude and people writing unfounded and untrue complaints.

Max Powers wrote: »

I think most on here have a healthy positive attitude to Waterford while some are just moaning and negative consistent complainers. I think what really annoys people is this overly negative attitude and people writing unfounded and untrue complaints.

Ah I wouldn't say there is much moaning or complaining I think it's more of a persons right to air their views no matter what the subject may be. If a person has a good or bad view of the town then they should be allowed to express it without getting hung from certain people, I mean this website is about good friendly banter,debate,information and many other things and I think it should remain that way but unfortunately when somebody goes and has a different or negative view some folks just go mental over it and I don't really think that is a good thing for the forum regardless of the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Ah I wouldn't say there is much moaning or complaining I think it's more of a persons right to air their views no matter what the subject may be. If a person has a good or bad view of the town then they should be allowed to express it without getting hung from certain people, I mean this website is about good friendly banter,debate,information and many other things and I think it should remain that way but unfortunately when somebody goes and has a different or negative view some folks just go mental over it and I don't really think that is a good thing for the forum regardless of the subject.

There is nothing wrong with airing negative views as long as you can back them up with some kind of reality and in turn generating a debate. But that is not what is being talked about here, it is negativity with little or nothing to back it up other than a perceived inferiority to other parts of the country which is not debate but just damaging. I mean the radon comment for god sake, you would think radon was particular to Wateford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

No, People round here are f*ckin fed up with negativity, either you are part of the problem or part of the solution and what we see a lot of here is just pure baseless negativity, and when questioned it turns in bluster and bullsh*t.

Sure any of the sensible people round here will be the first to admit there is issues and problems with Waterford, but they will see the other side of the coin as well and will try counter any argument with the good side.

I love this county and the city, I love where I live, 10 minutes from the Sea, 15 from the mountains, beautiful views, but I have to travel 110Km to work in the morning, I know there is difficulties about this place but it's my home county and I bloody love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

That's fair enough but there are others on here who whenever they see any negative comment about Waterford they go on the attack and tell people that they should move if they don't like it. For example, if you say that Galway has a much better night life some idiot will come on and tell you to **** off up there if it's so great. That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. Obviously, there are people who give out about everything, often with no foundation, but there are other who have genuine gripes and they seem to be shot down more often than not as if some people think that if we don't say anything bad about the place it'll suddenly become a great place to live and everyone will want to move here.

There is nothing wrong with airing negative views as long as you can back them up with some kind of reality and in turn generating a debate. But that is not what is being talked about here, it is negativity with little or nothing to back it up other than a perceived inferiority to other parts of the country which is not debate but just damaging. I mean the radon comment for god sake, you would think radon was particular to Wateford.

Yeah I understand the backing up bit and of course its always a stronger argument when it's backed up but even so some one will always tell ya to move away if you don't like the place, or that your some kind of alien for thinking Waterford is ****, we all know Waterford is not the only place in Ireland but seen as we are from Waterford I think we should be allowed air our views without being attacked from people, Waterford is a lovely place but it also has its bad points and people shouldn't be shot down if they choose to point out the bad points.

well said BBman. i have been guilty of saying to people, if you are so negative about the place, why not leave, but if i was as negative about a place as some posts, i would leave so i why not ask the question. im all for criticising bad things like unemployment, poor public reps, but unsubstantiated opinion should be highlighted too, 'just the facts please maam'.

Agreed.

I have lived in many nice places and yes waterford has some nice things but im entitled to my opinion its not the nicest county in Ireland, there are many many problems, i do act on my complaints, i do contact my local councilor or guards if needs be, and as far as backing up facts there are some things or names you just cant mention on public board.

This town has so many problems its unreal, i never even mentioned that there is a dump in the centre of the city that theres so many horses roaming around its like the wild west, oh yeah but the dump is unused, tell that to the toxic gases it releases and the leakage.

your talking about on a competitive level and many other counties are better than this one, close to the sea etc etc.

i think you should be able to accept a counter arguement by someone who isnt blinkered by the fact they grew up here.

This is one of the things that makes it the best county to live in ?

I spoke to a guard recently from Limerick and i said you must be happy to have gone to a quieter county and she told me waterford was much much worse.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056598825

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mdiff

I'm from Louth. I looked at a prev post that shows Carlingford getting the top spot for best place to live in ireland and I compared some of the postings with the Irish TImes.

A reasonable degree of overlap but the Irish Times stuff is very 'cheerleadery', i.e. gushing comments about how wonderful things are. WHere's the balance? Surely not EVERYONE thinks all those towns are so great?

Although that other site is open to abuse too. Example, someone calls Drogheda the Calcutta of Co.Louth. A bit harsh.

mdiff wrote: »
    I'm from Louth. I looked at a prev post that shows Carlingford getting the top spot for best place to live in ireland and I compared some of the postings with the Irish TImes.

A reasonable degree of overlap but the Irish Times stuff is very 'cheerleadery', i.e. gushing comments about how wonderful things are. WHere's the balance? Surely not EVERYONE thinks all those towns are so great?

Although that other site is open to abuse too. Example, someone calls Drogheda the Calcutta of Co.Louth. A bit harsh.

That comment about Drogheda is very harsh but its an example of how myopic people will complain in an unfounded manner about their area/county/country, yet they are unwilling to do the slighest thing about any of it, stereo-(and to large degree)typical Irish attitude. Also agreed, the Irish Times thing is a bit of a 'cheerleading exercise' but a lot of people in general are proud of where they come from, recognise the problems (eg highest unemployment in south east) but there are a lot of positives too to be highlighted. A lot of negativity around these days and people are wallowing in their miserableness, I guess you could call the thing a bit of positivity, all submissions will be judged on their merits taking into account unemployment rate, services, quality of life, etc etc in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

IMO I think Waterford is not the City it once was and I wouldn't say it's the best place to live in Ireland and I'm a Waterford woman born n bred.

Between jobs lost, shops and pubs closing its fallen by the wayside. Also its gotten very rough on weekend nights down at the cross by Masons. I normally stay up around Ballybricken coz I can't be bothered with the hassle of town.

There just seems to be an air of doom and gloom around the last couple of years and its not getting better.

Even in terms of night classes, things to do (not publife) at weekends, community spirit and promoting itself, its all just...not even here anymore. So so sad to see :(

deiselack wrote: »
    IMO I think Waterford is not the City it once was and I wouldn't say it's the best place to live in Ireland and I'm a Waterford woman born n bred.

Between jobs lost, shops and pubs closing its fallen by the wayside. Also its gotten very rough on weekend nights down at the cross by Masons. I normally stay up around Ballybricken coz I can't be bothered with the hassle of town.

There just seems to be an air of doom and gloom around the last couple of years and its not getting better.

Even in terms of night classes, things to do (not publife) at weekends, community spirit and promoting itself, its all just...not even here anymore. So so sad to see :(

What nightclasses, things to do at weekends etc are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Its like the wild west sometimes out by ballybeg, everytime i go there theres horses loose on the road and wild dogs, last week there was a car burning out in the field where the travellers keep their horses, a couple of nights ago there was 2 big fires in the other field they have, the firebrigade seem to be out that way an awful lot, just seems like bedlam.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

eh..bally..no...rath...um..ennis...kil..clon..mordor

You what?

Another reason why wateford isnt the best place to live in Ireland!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056617293

• Advertisement

Another reason why wateford isnt the best place to live in Ireland!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056617293

I know especially when you take into account there is no crime in places like Limerick or Dublin

Advertisement