Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reflective coating on torch-on felt

• 31-03-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I had a large area of flat roof covered a good few years ago.

It was done in 2 stages -the second area was done a few years after the first.
    I could see that the first area had been finished with a reflective coat and was expecting the 2nd job to be finished the same way.

When the job was nearly done I said ,casually , to the Roofer " I suppose you'll be putting on the reflective coating now"
    He said back "That isn't necessary" and sure enough he left it at that.

Would that make sense ? Is that reflective coating not always worth the bother and expense -or could he have been pushed for time and not wanted to return the next day ?

(in my own mind I was quite prepared to take his word as I had confidence in him -and liked him as well)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

This might be what you are looking for http://bostik.ie/diy/product/rito/Silver-Shield/302

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

thanks but what about his statement that it wasn't necessary?

Are there quality grades of torch-on felt that don't benefit from a reflective reflective roof coating?

When he said it I assumed that he meant that the quality of the product was such that it would last as well without the coating.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The top surface on any torch on felt will degrade after a few years.The paint will slow down the process.You pay's your money and take's your chances.

Your man might have had to start another job the next day,thought the paint is rubbish ect,ect

Isn't that degradation partly due due the effect of the light (UV) and partly due to the effect of movement caused by expansion?

Is there another cause?

If the roll was kept in storage would it last indefinitely ?

So why wouldn't a protective coating last indefinitely in theory?

Yes

Don't know

Probably

Theory on a roof??

• Advertisement

mp22 wrote: »
    Theory on a roof??

maybe off topic:)-well I was wondering if the reason the protective coating didn't protect indefinitely was because it wears off and people don't bother (like myself) to renew it

Advertisement