Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info on mark on west highland terrier

• 31-03-2012 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

hi, i dont know if anyone can help, i have a 3 year old female westie and i just noticed a mark on her, its like under the skin and a circle of hair has fallen out around it, now it might be a bite but she wouldnt be in contact with any other dogs so i know she wasnt fighting, any ideas, thanks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

Hi Op maybe its an allergy? My own dog started losing circles of hair last year after we changed his food. Changed it back to one with less cereal content in it and problem solved. Alternatively maybe its ringworm but hope thats not the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Could be ringworm. Best get it checked out by the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

our dog had something like that last year too, vet said to get canesten cream and rub it on her :o wasnt long telling the pharmacist that it was for my dog :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Google ringworm and if you think it might be ringworm then separate her from all your other pets (even though chances are they've already been exposed to it) and have mininal contact with her yourself, wear gloves if possible as it can be passed onto humans. And when your ringing the vet tell them you think it may be ringworm, last thing they want is her passing it onto every other dog in the waiting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

jeeez ringworm!!! my sister had a very bad case of ringworm when she was a child, got it from a calf on my nans farm, on her face and head!!! i have a 2 year old daughter myself now, i must put her in the shed till mon and take her to the vet, i have 2 westies, so if it is theres a chance he may have it aswell, ill take both of them to vet , thank you all very much for your opinions, i do think it might be some kind of bite maybe, or could it be a tick thats got infected, i clipped them both a few weeks back so might be something aswell,
    ill attach a pic anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP, my Westie has had both ringworm and hotspots, it's hard to tell which from your pic but looks more like a hotspot to me. Ringworm starts as a pus filled lump then has a definite outline so it could still be early stage ringworm. If it turns out to be a hotspot then that will be diet related.

Hi OP, my Westie has had both ringworm and hotspots, it's hard to tell which from your pic but looks more like a hotspot to me. Ringworm starts as a pus filled lump then has a definite outline so it could still be early stage ringworm. If it turns out to be a hotspot then that will be diet related.

can i ask as a westie owner what you feed yours? ive always fed mine from birth on dry beta sensitive with a small spoon of tuna mixed once a day , i never feed treats, if theres meat left over from dinner i ussually mix that in with their food but thats it, i've always been fairly consistent on the food but as there both getting older do i need to change there diet in peoples opinion. , thanks again for your help. ill defo take to vet on mon and let you know how i get on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

i have a 2 year old daughter myself now, i must put her in the shed till mon and take her to the vet

You're putting your daughter in the shed?? :D it doesnt look much like ringworm to me, more like a hot spot but its hard to tell from a picture, you are best off bringing her to the vet to be certain. Let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

can i ask as a westie owner what you feed yours? ive always fed mine from birth on dry beta sensitive with a small spoon of tuna mixed once a day , i never feed treats, if theres meat left over from dinner i ussually mix that in with their food but thats it, i've always been fairly consistent on the food but as there both getting older do i need to change there diet in peoples opinion. , thanks again for your help. ill defo take to vet on mon and let you know how i get on :)

No chicken of any discription and after a plethora of food trials I've settled on alternating every 6 months between Barking heads lamb and rice (green bag) and Barking Heads Salmon & Potato (pink bag), I use Wainrights or Natures harvest trays of wet food, cut into sticks and freeze to use as treats. I also use Wainrights charcoal bones (lamb and rice) and freeze dried duck treats. I give her some boiled veg occasionally that we're having for dinner, just because she likes them. Have also used raw/frozen peas on occasion as training treats.

No problems at all since switching to BH and it doesn't really matter any more if she goes hoovering up crumbs the kids have dropped

No chicken of any discription and after a plethora of food trials I've settled on alternating every 6 months between Barking heads lamb and rice (green bag) and Barking Heads Salmon & Potato (pink bag), I use Wainrights or Natures harvest trays of wet food, cut into sticks and freeze to use as treats. I also use Wainrights charcoal bones (lamb and rice) and freeze dried duck treats. I give her some boiled veg occasionally that we're having for dinner, just because she likes them. Have also used raw/frozen peas on occasion as training treats.

No problems at all since switching to BH and it doesn't really matter any more if she goes hoovering up crumbs the kids have dropped

thanks for the info, im coming to the end of the batch of dog food i have, i might slowly change there food, ill speak to the vet on monday and get both dogs looked at , as i only clipped them a few weeks ago i might have nipped her, you never know, mind you ive washed them last week and saw nothing then, ill get back to you on mon and let you know what he says:)

• Advertisement

well i took both of them to vet which they were both well chuffed about..... NOT!!! they hate the sight of the place, especially samba, he lost his 2 best friends in there (tessties) ha ha , well he said cody has a very small cist probably caused by a infected tick, he gave both them there yearly jabs and out the door we went, well chuffed, thank you all again for the advice, ill be hanging around this area of the forum a bit more in future :0)

Advertisement