Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After four years... I need a new keyboard!

Options
  • 31-03-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭

This was something I thought I'd be posting a few months from now, as a want. As it turns out, it's more of a need. After four years my trusty Logitech G11 has finally started to die. I've got a few keys that aren't registering, a broken wrist rest, and random unrecognisedness from device manager.

So!

I'm looking for keyboard suggestions. I've had my eye on the K90 from Corsair since it came out, but I'm not sure I want a keyboard that I do more typing on to have MX Red switches (I'd prefer browns, ideally, but I don't know of one that fits the bill that has them). The problem is that I'm just not sure, because I've only been able to try a couple of mechanicals, and that wasn't for very long. If there's anyone around Maynooth-ish that has one with black/blue/red switches, and some free time, that would be a great help.

I'm looking for:
    A generally high quality keyboard
    Preferably mechanical, but it doesn't have to be
    That's backlit
    And has Media controls (preferably dedicated)
    And a few macros.

I've also been looking at the Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth from Razer, but I can't seem to find anywhere around here that stocks it.

I'm posting this from a generic Dell yoke, so there's no huge rush to this I suppose, but I'd like a fancy keyboard sooner rather than later. :P

Any and all suggestions / comments wlecome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

you mentioned k90, but what about k60? cheaper, and less buttons ( mmo whoring ), but looks like a great thing.

i have set my eye on it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The K60 does look nice, but because of bad eyesight, I find backlit keyboards a lot nicer to use, so it has to be the K90 (Pity, because I don't need that many macros).

Think I might just go ahead and order the damn Corsair...

I'd buy it from HWVS, as they're in with the cheapest, even with the delivery (counts as a bulky item) if it wasn't for the damn German layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You tried amazon? It looked decent priced there last time I was looking in to it.

Carefull with pixmania though, I newer can understand where their stuff is coming from. Last time I got phone with Spanish menus and shiet...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,379 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Overclockers have the Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth instock, Serephucus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Recommend the SteelSeries 7G....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Looks like a nice one alright. I think I'd still go for the Corsair though because of the media keys. Specs are pretty similar otherwise.
    Headshot wrote: »
    Overclockers have the Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth instock, Serephucus.

Link? I could only find the regular Black Widow, and the Ultimate (not the same as the Ultimate Stealth).

Sorry Serephucus. It wasnt the stealth I saw on Overclockers. I didnt even know razor had another mechanical keyboard. Is there such a big difference between them?

They're basically identical except that the Stealth uses brown switches vs. blues, so they don't make that very loud clicky noise that the other one does. Browns also have tactile feedback*, where as blues are linear.

*Tactile vs. linear is very hard to explain if you've never tried a mechanical keyboard before. The only way I can describe it is that you sort of feel something shift in the key, and notch into place, when it registers. With a linear key, you need the same amount of force the whole way down, and the key registers very close to the top, so you don't have to bottom-out. You can type perfectly well with a feather-light touch almost, which is something I'm not a fan of. I find tactile keys really nice to type on, which is the cause of the decision between the BW US - not as nice of a keyboard, but better keys, or the K90 - much nicer keyboard, but not as nice keys.

Edit: Switch sound comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

go the corsair one you were on about in a previous thread....after looking at it meself Im going to take the plunge aswell...

I currently have the logitech G110.. its nice but one needs something nicer:cool: you know what i mean!

That Cooler Master one actually looks quite nice. If the brown-switch model was available here, and if it had blue backlighting (it doesn't) I might look into it.

For now, I've decided to hold off on the keyboard. A few personal things have changed for me, so I'm not sure I'll have the money available. I also want to at least wait for PAX on the off-chance that Corsair decide to bombshell new products (as is their trend).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Problem with mechanicals is that the only ones available are either american layout (cheap) or UK layout and filco (expensive)

The K60 and 90 from Corsair come in UK, IIRC. I'm pretty sure the Black Widow does tioo.

Advertisement