Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

jluv wrote: »
    But as we are discussing a tax which is being introduced rightly/wrongly as an introduction to a property tax,necessery to alleviate the debt/lower borrowing for our country,then I think the fact that this "waste" of money is still happening is relevent.

But ya see, Lugha & co. don't want to discuss core issues. Know what I mean?;)

Remember, these folk support the continued borrowing of €400m a week in order to perpetuate the waste that you talk of. And then don't want it discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

But as we are discussing a tax which is being introduced rightly/wrongly as an introduction to a property tax,necessery to alleviate the debt/lower borrowing for our country,then I think the fact that this "waste" of money is still happening is relevent.
    First, the exchange from which you quoted my post was (bizarrely!) about whether or not the exchequer would be better off by 40 million if they unexpectedly acquired 40 million! Another poster made an irrelevant (to this point) reference to waste.

Secondly, addressing waste is important but it is not relevant to the HHC. Can you make an argument that there will be less waste if we retain the old indirect funding mode for LA than if we adopt the direct funding mode? Addressing waste is done by examining where money is spent, not where it is raised.

You could argue that unemployment, or our borrowing rates or this upcoming treaty are relevant in terms of addressing our deficit but I don’t see how they are relevant to whether we adopt the HHC or not.
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    Remember, these folk support the continued borrowing of €400m a week in order to perpetuate the waste that you talk of.
    Do we? Can you cite any of my posts (or anyone else’s for that matter) to support this claim?

Oh, and Freddie, any chance of an answer to my question? You know, 20 billion deficit? Instant adjustment, yes or no? ;)

lugha wrote: »
    First, the exchange from which you quoted my post was (bizarrely!) about whether or not the exchequer would be better off by 40 million if they unexpectedly acquired 40 million! Another poster made an irrelevant (to this point) reference to waste.

Secondly, addressing waste is important but it is not relevant to the HHC. Can you make an argument that there will be less waste if we retain the old indirect funding mode for LA than if we adopt the direct funding mode? Addressing waste is done by examining where money is spent, not where it is raised.

You could argue that unemployment, or our borrowing rates or this upcoming treaty are relevant in terms of addressing our deficit but I don’t see how they are relevant to whether we adopt the HHC or not.

Do we? Can you cite any of my posts (or anyone else’s for that matter) to support this claim?

Oh, and Freddie, any chance of an answer to my question? You know, 20 billion deficit? Instant adjustment, yes or no? ;)

Ya see Lugha. Case proven by the above post. Waste is not relevant to the "household charge"; the €400m a week borrowings are not relevant. The High PS/CS wages and "entitlements" are not relevant. According to you and yours.

And how many times do you have to have a question answered? In the private sector a company gets into trouble. It's expenditure cannot exceed its income. So swinging pay cuts and redundancies are enforced. I've been a part of it. It isn't pretty. But it happens. And that's what needs to happen in Ireland's PS/CS. Call it "instant adjustment" if you want. But this is real world economics Something you appear to have very little understanding of.

Oh, and regarding your new question:

The Irish government needs to borrow about €20bn per annum (or around €380m a week) in order to run the country i.e. our total expenditure exceeds our total income by €20,000m.

This is another economic fact to which you appear to be completely oblivious. And as for 'citing your posts to substantiate this'? Give me a break. There are people (myself included) pointing out the glaringly obvious, but, in true Public Sector form, you want to wish it away. Not gonna happen.

The reality is that the Government has to reduce Public Sector cast and wages in line with European norms. There is no other way.

Here's another little nugget for you:

http://pdosullivan.wordpress.com/tag/silvio-berlusconi/
    We saw the latest set of Exchequer Returns from the Department of Finance earlier this week, providing a snapshop of Ireland’s public finances to the end of Q3. At first glance, my initial reaction was: “Austerity? What austerity?”

Total voted expenditure by the Irish government in the first 9 months of 2011 was €33.4bn versus €33.2bn in the same period last year. And no, this does not include the €10.7bn paid to recapitalise Irish financial institutions in the year to date. Ireland borrowed €20bn in the first 9 months of the year, which will cost a ballpark €1bn a year in interest payments annually, or roughly double the year-to-date spend on the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation. The longer we delay the necessary fiscal consolidation the more of our budget will be eaten up by interest payments at the expense of frontline services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Would be interesting to see him try to back up some of the claims he makes about other posters with a bit of evidence all right.

I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Would be interesting to see him try to back up some of the claims he makes about other posters with a bit of evidence all right.

Ah Francis. I have to give you marks for trying!:D Yourself, Lugha, & Co. have consistently driven your PS agenda through this thread like a steamroller, with scant regard for economics or the world outside the Public Sector.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Ah Francis. I have to give you marks for trying!:D Yourself, Lugha, & Co. have consistently driven your PS agenda through this thread like a steamroller, with scant regard for economics or the world outside the Public Sector.

Again the claim without any evidence to back it up.

You really do fall into these things quite easily.

Yourself, Lugha, & Co. have consistently driven your PS agenda through this thread like a steamroller, with scant regard for economics or the world outside the Public Sector.
    How do you make that out Freddie? I have consistently made clear that I do not think PS wages and SW payment levels can remain at levels set in boom / bubble times. My question to you (which you have yet to answer) relates to how the adjustment is made, and in particular, if you would have opted for a solution without the IMF / ECB and adjusted for the 20 billion deficit in one swoop.

Of course you did not (can not?) answer this and you attempt to disguise your non-response with the most brazen use of the straw man argument I have ever seen.

Not only do you address a different question that the one I put to you (I ask how to deal with the deficit, not why it had to be dealt with) but you go further and completely misrepresent my position on the “why” question, suggesting that I am against PS / SW reform when the opposite is the case!!!

Not to worry! I’m in no rush. Take all the time you need to come up with an answer! :) (Of course, the longer you take the more suspicious I become that you didn't really think your master plan through ;) )

How do you make that out Freddie? I have consistently made clear that I do not think PS wages and SW payment levels can remain at levels set in boom / bubble times. My question to you (which you have yet to answer) relates to how the adjustment is made, and in particular, if you would have opted for a solution without the IMF / ECB and adjusted for the 20 billion deficit in one swoop.

More than likely. At the ver least I would have painted the picture required for the people involved and proceeded with a structured plan to reduce costs.

straw man
    Not only do you address a different question that the one I put to you (I ask how to deal with the deficit, not why it had to be dealt with) but you go further and completely misrepresent my position on the “why” question, suggesting that I am against PS / SW reform when the opposite is the case!!!

I refer you to my answer above. Like the rest of your kind, you dance around the core issues, while lecturing people for not paying the "household charge". But hey - you're consistent!
    Not to worry! I’m in no rush. Take all the time you need to come up with an answer! :) (Of course, the longer you take the more suspicious I become that you didn't really think your master plan through ;) )

I think have answered you more than adequately at this point - although your blinkered view allows you to deploy the "does not compute " PS option.;)

Now let me ask you: what's your "master plan" to eliminate the deficit - without forcing the cost on the already-burdened Private Sector workforce?

Again the claim without any evidence to back it up.

You really do fall into these things quite easily.

The truth hurst Francie, doesn't it?;) There really is no logic to your own argument, so a little deflection helps.:)

And, as usual, the blinkers are on, allowing you to completely ignore post #2974. As I said, you're consistent.:)

• Advertisement

More than likely.
    Finally, an answer! It took you long enough, are you sure you don’t work in the public sector? :)

So you would have made an instant adjustment of 20 billion. And what would you say to the majority who think the economy could not sustain a blow like that and might have turned us into a third world country? Or is that of no great importance as long as manners was put in them PS workers?
    Now let me ask you: what's your "master plan" to eliminate the deficit
    My plan is the same as most people’s plan, a combination of new taxes and yes, extensive cuts in public spending, in particular in PS wages and SW over time. And the HHC / property tax is a fairly sensible charge to introduce towards this end.

I know this will shock and disappoint you, and you possibly won’t even believe me, but there are actually some people posting here who are wailing about our budget deficit but are opposing measures introduced by the government to help address it ;)

Finally, an answer! It took you long enough, are you sure you don’t work in the public sector? :)

So you would have made an instant adjustment of 20 billion. And what would you say to the majority who think the economy could not sustain a blow like that and might have turned us into a third world country? Or is that of no great importance as long as manners was put in them PS workers?

My plan is the same as most people’s plan, a combination of new taxes and yes, extensive cuts in public spending, in particular in PS wages and SW over time. And the HHC / property tax is a fairly sensible charge to introduce towards this end.

I know this will shock and disappoint you, and you possibly won’t even believe me, but there are actually some people posting here who are wailing about our budget deficit but are opposing measures introduced by the government to help address it ;)

Protesting is the word I'd use Lugha. Maybe if a simultaneous attempt had been made to arrest the PS/CS/SW gravy trains people might not have had such an issue with €100. But when you don't do any of the above, and then exempt 160,000 households from a household charge then what else can you expect really?

BTW when you say "over time" how much time are you talking, given that we're borrowing €20Bn a year to fund these farces?

And still no comment on post #2974..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

This does not compute with some people or they chose to ignore it as it suits their agenda.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    This does not compute with some people or they chose to ignore it as it suits their agenda.

Hoping it will somehow magically go away....while in the meantime attempting to stifle those who, rightfully, fight to expose it.

Isn't it funny how since the current government came into power all of these "free" services have appeared. Water, libraries, public lighting, footpaths etc. LOL.

So what exactly have our taxes been spent on all of these years.

Free stuff = propaganda. Don't believe it for one second people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't understand 400,000 or 447,000 which is 14.47% unemployment from recent figures. This makes the base of workers plus unemployed over 3 million but we are supposed to have 1.8 million at work plus the 447,000 is nowhere near 3 million?

When we were bringing in hundreds of thousands of workers to fill our jobs there was still 4.5% unemployment so that means we have effectively 90% of people who want a job have one now. And plenty of people just don't want to pay for anything eventhough they have the money.
    Explain further please.

Tax evaders who were hit by the Revenue to the tune of €120 million in the last quarter of 2011, typical of every quarter this last ten years. These are not poor people.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0314/1224313270436.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1213/breaking44.html

And there is something like €120 billion held in personal savings, some of those people could easily afford €100. The €40 million mentioned as being possible extra income for the Government could turn out to be an underestimate. The Revenue will be interested in the database to identify absentee landlords who may not have paid tax on their rental profits and who may owe €2200 per property in NPPR.

I thought it was €220 for NPR?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I thought it was €220 for NPR?

It is €200 a year since 2009 so people liable from the start should have paid €800 by now. But if they didn't pay they owe €2160. The NPPR is the same self declaration system as the Household Charge and the money owed will remain on the title of the property to be collected eventually. It will likely be done away with when the Property Tax is established but the arrears will still be there.

https://www.nppr.ie/Faq.aspx#fk0

So by how much will waste decrease if we retain our current indirect mode of funding La? Or conversely, by how much will it increase it we adopt the proposed HHC?

My estimate in both cases in zero. Which means that waste is not relevant to whether or not we adopt the HHC. That does not mean that waste is not as issue to be addressed in general.

Have you an argument as to why the waste issue will worsen if we fund LA directly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I notice Mr Hogan has come out saying that people who don't pay by the end of the year might not get their tax clearance certificate.
    I thought this wasnt a tax? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

So by how much will waste decrease if we retain our current indirect mode of funding La? Or conversely, by how much will it increase it we adopt the proposed HHC?

My estimate in both cases in zero. Which means that waste is not relevant to whether or not we adopt the HHC. That does not mean that waste is not as issue to be addressed in general.

Have you an argument as to why the waste issue will worsen if we fund LA directly?

So you want LAs with no accountability? The issue is that waste has risen and will rise if left unchecked.

If I had to fund one thing with my household charge fee it would obviously be a programme of improvemnet. Not a gold plated pension scheme for pen pushers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I notice Mr Hogan has come out saying that people who don't pay by the end of the year might not get their tax clearance certificate.

"Might not"
    More spoof.
    Fuck all good a tax clearance cert if is when there is no work out there.
    Still though, there's plenty of internships created with the pension raid...........

Still not paying.

So you want LAs with no accountability?
    I have suggested nothing of the kind. And how does rejecting the HHC and retaining the current method of indirect funding do anything to increase accountability?
    The issue is that waste has risen and will rise if left unchecked.
    But how does opposing (or for that matter supporting) the HHC do anything to check this waste?

It's quite simple the more you give wasters the more they will waste. Just look at the money thrown at them during the boom and the waste that ensued.

An example is Dublin City Council and the incinerator which will never be built and if it does get built they won't have enough waste to cover the quantity required since they have sold off their waste collection to Panda. These people do not have a clue how to spend money. It has been proven.

Another example is Wicklow County Council and it's purchase of land for over €3,000,000 and now it's worth less than half a million. Its on a flood plane.

Up to 40% of water wasted in substandard water mains.

You could create a thread just on LA waste through the past ten years. And this does not even cover waste buy government departments. We are talking about 100s of millions if not billions.

It's quite simple the more you give wasters the more they will waste.
    They are not getting more. €160 M < €170 M
    You could create a thread just on LA waste through the past ten years. And this does not even cover waste buy government departments. We are talking about 100s of millions if not billions.
    You are simply restating that waste is an issue that needs to be addressed. This I am not disputing.

I ask how will waste be effected one way or another if funding is via direct or indirect means? You might as well argue that unemployment is an important issue, therefore I will oppose the HHC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

It is €200 a year since 2009 so people liable from the start should have paid €800 by now. But if they didn't pay they owe €2160. The NPPR is the same self declaration system as the Household Charge and the money owed will remain on the title of the property to be collected eventually. It will likely be done away with when the Property Tax is established but the arrears will still be there.

https://www.nppr.ie/Faq.aspx#fk0

Not quite.
    If your property was rented out through the RAS scheme it only became liable for the NPPR this year.
    The councils changed their own rules to get more money.

And there is something like €120 billion held in personal savings, some of those people could easily afford €100. The €40 million mentioned as being possible extra income for the Government could turn out to be an underestimate. The Revenue will be interested in the database to identify absentee landlords who may not have paid tax on their rental profits and who may owe €2200 per property in NPPR.

You've lost it. You really have. Do you think that €86Bn is equally divided?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

The amount of money generated for LA during the boom was massive and was not managed properly.
    If they couldn't manage that kind of money,how is €100 from a select few going to make a difference?
    I do believe a property tax will have to be introduced but the management of these funds will have to be extremely different from before to have any kind of impact or commitment from home owners.Hence the need to see changes start to happen now to reduce "wasteful" practises.
    I believe we are all winners at the moment as at least the HHC has made people wake up and start questioning whats going on in our country.
    Now to find a thread dedicated to the water meter charge:D

It's quite simple the more you give wasters the more they will waste.

Well, just look at the "unfinished estates", many of whom had bonds lodged with Councils to.......finish the estates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

mikom wrote: »
    "Might not"
    More spoof.
    Fuck all good a tax clearance cert if is when there is no work out there.
    Still though, there's plenty of internships created with the pension raid...........

Still not paying.

Yea, but what has a household charge got to do with TCC's.

Maybe someone from the yes side could explain how not paying a 'charge' to the local council has anything to do with tax matters....

Should be good!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement