Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

And plenty of people just don't want to pay for anything eventhough they have the money.

Aint that the truth.

I pay roughly 40 euro a month for SKY tv, but recently, the amount of people I've came across who have discovered ingenious ways of getting similar televison services that I pay for, for free is amazing.

Now, I'm in no way trying to insinuate anything here, just in case you take me up wrong, but these people I'm talking about, have almost the exact same setup of satellite tv equipment you have listed in your sig,

Imagine that.

You wouldnt do anything remotely similar to these people that I refer to as 'Sky TV robbing bastards' though, because your a law abiding, tax paying citizen of the state, and would pay up for anything and everything you use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Ghandee wrote: »
    Aint that the truth.

I pay roughly 40 euro a month for SKY tv, but recently, the amount of people I've came across who have discovered ingenious ways of getting similar televison services that I pay for, for free is amazing.

!

It's called Freesat. It's broadcast from the Astra 2 satellite that your sky signal comes from and it's not remotely illegal to receive it.

Far more sensible than paying €40 a month to some multinational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It's called Freesat. It's broadcast from the Astra 2 satellite that your sky signal comes from and it's not remotely illegal to receive it.

A multinational that actually provides employment.

Compare that to the €150 or so we pay a year for a tv license to finance RTE.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    A multinational that actually provides employment.

Compare that to the €150 or so we pay a year for a tv license to finance RTE.

You want to give a multi-national €40 every month, you go right ahead.

I'm sitting pretty here with my Freesat service and my HHC paid.

Who's smart and who's stupid I wonder?

But what about the exchequer losing out on revenue, that would be collected via the VAT on SKY payments Francie?

The countries in finacial difficulties, and every little helps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Well, just look at the "unfinished estates", many of whom had bonds lodged with Councils to.......finish the estates.
    If I could Thank this 50 times I would..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

So now people are stupid if they want to pay for a better choice? You throw that people are stupid around alot. Consider yourself ignored as you are not worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

My son works in England ,he says the English think the Irish are very like the ethnic people in their country ,they want everything but will pay for nothing .

P.S He pays £147 council tax and there nothing he can do

Well if it makes your "wondering" a little easier.....I'm smart..

flossy1 wrote: »
    My son works in England ,he says the English think the Irish are very like the ethnic people in their country ,they want everything but will pay for nothing .

I'm not against property tax. I oppose the discriminetory HHC and the reason it was introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

can you pause/rewind on your Freesat?

can you pause/rewind on your Freesat?

With the right receiver.

Btw Francis.

Using the setup listed in the sig, via a Linux based box can quite easily be configured to receive paid for SKY channels for free, or in laymans terms, can be used to by pass encrypted channels that SKY broadcasdt, and expect to be paid by people viewing them.

I think you will find that using mentioned method to obtain these services for free, is far from being remotely legal.

Ask publicans who have been caught showing Premier League matches who declared their subscription as being domestic, rather than a commercial one.

http://business.sky.com/CustomerZone/FightingFraud/

BTW, i repeat, I am in no way insinuating anything. Merely observing something.

But what about the exchequer losing out on revenue, that would be collected via the VAT on SKY payments Francie?

The countries in finacial difficulties, and every little helps?

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy there are people like you around to subsidise me. Just like the late payers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

flossy1 wrote: »

Tell him to move to Ireland.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy there are people like you around to subsidise me. Just like the late payers.

Thats not answered my question though?

More side stepping?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    So now people are stupid if they want to pay for a better choice? You throw that people are stupid around alot. Consider yourself ignored as you are not worth reading.

excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep.

Thats not answered my question though?

More side stepping?

Because your question was 'stupid'.

Join the dots................

:D

Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Aint that the truth.

Now, I'm in no way trying to insinuate anything here, just in case you take me up wrong, but these people I'm talking about, have almost the exact same setup of satellite tv equipment you have listed in your sig,

Imagine that.

You wouldnt do anything remotely similar to these people that I refer to as 'Sky TV robbing bastards' though, because your a law abiding, tax paying citizen of the state, and would pay up for anything and everything you use!

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You will be happy to know that I do not indulge in the practice you describe and I'm glad that you are not insinuating that I do. I could however describe here how that practice is carried out but that would be against the rules on Boards and would get me banned. But when people say "Dont Register, Don't Pay" which breaks the same rules nothing happens to them strangely.

I'm not sure how I should feel about you investigating my background but if you are genuinely interested in the hobby of satellite TV I will give you one site for starters.

http://www.lyngsat.com/

I can receive about 35 satellites and not just the group at 28 East from which you get your Sky. Which means I don't feel the need to give Uncle Rupert €40 every month. And I can assure that people do not need a system anything like mine to become a "Sky TV robbing bastard".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Jesus, you get subsidised a lot frannie. Sounds more like freeloading to me....

BTW, i repeat, I am in no way insinuating anything. Merely observing something.

Bit like your 'good girl' post then?

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You will be happy to know that I do not indulge in the practice you describe and I'm glad that you are not insinuating that I do. I could however describe here how that practice is carried out but that would be against the rules on Boards and would get me banned. But when people say "Dont Register, Don't Pay" which breaks the same rules nothing happens to them strangely.

I'm not sure how I should feel about you investigating my background
    but if you are genuinely interested in the hobby of satellite TV I will give you one site for starters.

http://www.lyngsat.com/

I can receive about 35 satellites and not just the group at 28 East from which you get your Sky. Which means I don't feel the need to give Uncle Rupert €40 every month. And I can assure that people do not need a system anything like mine to become a "Sky TV robbing bastard".

Hardly?

Its in your sig?

I'm glad you don't obtain sky illegally, genuinely I am.

Only became remotely interested in the contents of your sig, when I was up home over Easter (south county Derry) and was offered a system similar to your listed one by a friend, then shown how said system works when again up home last night and today to attend a funeral.
    I declined however.

Moving on so......

You never replied to my earlier post on how refuse collection actually is included in the French version of the property Tax.

excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep.

Bit like your 'good girl' post then?

This is how you come across Francie.:D

Hardly?

Its in your sig?

I'm glad you don't obtain sky illegally, genuinely I am.

Only became remotely interested in the contents of your sig, when I was up home over Easter (south county Derry) and was offered a system similar to your listed one by a friend, then shown how said system works when again up home last night and today to attend a funeral.
    I declined however.

Moving on so......

You never replied to my earlier post on how refuse collection actually is included in the French version of the property Tax.

How about this for moving on. Your friends in the North are operating a property tax. Domestic rates are a tax, a tax on ownership and occupation. Listen to the podcast at just after 18 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/oyb

How about this for moving on. Your friends in the North are operating a property tax. Domestic rates are a tax, a tax on ownership and occupation. Listen to the podcast at just after 18 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/oyb

We've not moved on though.

You posted 'facts' that weren't true, whether or not you did so to mislead folk on this thread is debatable.

Secondly, 'my friends' in the north aren't operating a property tax, we've been through this on the other thread (which you failed to respond to, when I pulled you up on it)

Rates are in the north, and existed before SF joined a coalition government. (they inherited it)
    My friends and relations in the north aren't metered on their water on top of the rates, they don't pay for refuse collection on top of the rates, same for emergency services call out charges, free healthcare, no tolled roads,coupled with vastly reduced yearly car/motor tax, fee education, lower vat rates, no usc, etc etc etc.

Your argument is null and void, end of story.

Edit, just listened to after eighteen minutes in of the podcast.

I assume you heard him explain what the rates are used for?

Refuse collection, education and healthcare, roads etc etc etc.....

So, will the government start providing these services for free again?

Why post a link to a podcast that confirms what we've all been saying?

Were being asked to pay twice for the same services.

There is no real point arguing with you, is there? Your oblivious to what's taking place around you.

We've not moved on though.

You posted 'facts' that weren't true, whether or not you did so to mislead folk on this thread is debatable.

Secondly, 'my friends' in the north aren't operating a property tax, we've been through this on the other thread (which you failed to respond to, when I pulled you up on it)

Rates are in the north, and existed before SF joined a coalition government. (they inherited it)
    My friends and relations in the north aren't metered on their water on top of the rates, they don't pay for refuse collection on top of the rates, same for emergency services call out charges, free healthcare, no tolled roads,coupled with vastly reduced yearly car/motor tax, fee education, lower vat rates, no usc, etc etc etc.

Your argument is null and void, end of story.

Edit, just listened to after eighteen minutes in of the podcast.

I assume you heard him explain what the rates are used for?

Refuse collection, education and healthcare, roads etc etc etc.....

So, will the government start providing these services for free again?

Why post a link to a podcast that confirms what we've all been saying?

Were being asked to pay twice for the same services.

There is no real point arguing with you, is there? Your oblivious to what's taking place around you.

But the tax is determined by reference to various criteria applied to a person's house. Which is a property tax used to provide some local services. Not everyone in the North is happy with the rate being applied to their property or to the level of services which they receive. In other words they think it is unjust and unfair. Does Sinn Fein allow them to use this to avoid the tax?

And there is big pressure on the government in the North to charge for water separately, it could well happen in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

I see on the SBP today (front page) that pensioners might escape paying the charge upfront and it could be levied when their home is sold or ownership transferred instead.

Also mention of "a possible exemption for homeowners who paid high levels of stamp duty". Rumour has it that top rate taxpayers are next in line for a watered down household charge.

Glad I didn't pay and will hold out. Who says people power doesn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Steven81

Just paid the tax, said i would hold on and see what happens but main reason i paid it would be if i sold the house in years to come, by that stage with penalties and interest it could be substantial, FF, FG it doesnt matter who, they will get the money out of us someway/ sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Dont forget to ask if they pay stamp duty on having a credit card. I just noticed that on my bill this month. A tax on the wealth in a credit card no doubt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement