Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    I repeat, how can something that costs a person €1,000 a month, considered an ASSET ?
    "certain tax rises are inevitable"....we have already had a LOT of tax rises.
    " if you think spending adjustments alone will bridge the gap, you're delusional."...I'm delusional ?!!....overspending by €400m a week and you think that a combination of spending cuts plus tax rises will bridge this gap....perhaps, but only if the ratio was 90% spending cuts to 10% tax rises, also what is your timeframe for all this?...tick tock....
    Also, we WILL need another bailout in approx 20 months time if not sooner!...there is not a hope in hell we will be able to re-enter the bond markets for years yet....
    And what if the economy fails to grow?....a very real possibility given the governments attitude towards introducing new taxes.
    "the longer you leave off paying, the more you'll ultimately pay."...the way I see it , the longer I leave off paying, the greater the chances of this failing....especially if we have a change of government...who knows??
    night all....

Nope, I actually think a combination of spening cuts tax rises and growth will bridge the gap in time - what's your alternative if we get cut off from bailout funds considering you believe we can't re-enter the bond markets.
    As for another bailout being required - quite possibly, but not if we don't comply with the terms of the Memorandum of understaing entered into - one of the terms of this was the introduiction of a propert tax.
    What if the ecoonomy fails to grow? - we're probably ****ed - so I guess you believe we should just give up - I'm sure our children and grandchildren will be delighted with our attidude when they inherit the basket case of Ireland.
    By all means leave off paying on the basis you believe the tax will be revoked - hell of a chance to take and I don't like the odds. Not something I'll be doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

What if the economy fails to grow? - we're probably ****ed

Indeed - and as the current policies of the illegitimate Regime are certain to ensure no growth one can only assume that's what you want :rolleyes:
    By all means leave off paying on the basis you believe the tax will be revoked - hell of a chance to take and I don't like the odds. Not something I'll be doing.

If you imagine the current EU establishment policies can work I'd reckon your assessment of the "odds" is akin to imagining you've a 2/1 chance of winning the lottery!

Are you keeping up with events in Spain, Holland and France?

No?

Then maybe you should.

We are watching the inevitable working out of policies based on fantasy :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

This economy has no chance of growth in the short to medium term. The UK is in recession the rest of Europe is on its knees and we are spending more than we make in taxes on wages, pensions and social welfare. What this government wants is those of us still working to pay more and get less. This is the future. We don't have people of ability working in government. They are too concerned with having shills trawl thr Internet feeding the masses propaganda. Hell we had our own leader give a state of the nation that we were not responsible for the mess we are in and then go to Europe and say we were all mad on a crazed spending spree. And now we have nothing but arrogance from small minded ministers who have no backbone.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Indeed - and as the current policies of the illegitimate Regime are certain to ensure no growth one can only assume that's what you want :rolleyes:

If you imagine the current EU establishment policies can work I'd reckon your assessment of the "odds" is akin to imagining you've a 2/1 chance of winning the lottery!

Are you keeping up with events in Spain, Holland and France?

No?

Then maybe you should.

We are watching the inevitable working out of policies based on fantasy :cool:

I bow to your superior knowledge of fantasy.

Let's imagine for a minute you're right though, and the whole EU collapses.
    We're totally cast adrift, with no access to external funding to make up the deficit. No country will lend to us and we've 20 odd billion of deficit to make up.
    The spending cuts and tax rises which would be required to balance the books would make the Household Charge look like the Teddy Bear's Picnic.

I guess you'd be happy with this scenario?
    It would probably allow you to dream of establishing some ****ed- up new world order.

Such a shame that the most vulnerable in our society would be the ones which would suffer the most.
    Where's my old age pension - sorry no money
    Job seekers allowance - sorry, no money
    Disability allowance - we're in a darwinian world now, sorry.

I guess you'd probably look on them all as collateral damage? A sacrifice to the greater good?

Never mind Bill, you've probably got your little survivalist compound up the mountains somewhere, with enough guns and canned goods to see you through, eh?

Or are you **** off, while sitting in the comfort of your little first world bubble, posting radical-chic bollox on forums?

mod: poster banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I bow to your superior knowledge of fantasy.

Never mind Bill, you've probably got your little survivalist compound up the mountains somewhere, with enough guns and canned goods to see you through, eh?

Or are you **** off, while sitting in the comfort of your little first world bubble, posting radical-chic bollox on forums?

WOW!, Just a quick check in and the bould frannie is asking bill if he's '**** off' or is he with his guns in his mountain compound???
    Too much vino frannie??
    Is the pressure of being a twit getting to ya?

Reckon that little rant will be embarrassing in the morning.

Sometimes you just gotta laugh!:D

mod: poster banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

It's called a birth rate - Ireland is lucky enough to have a positive one which is the envy of many Europoean countries.
    People die - others are born, they eventually buy houses.

Why don't you enlighten them about how stupid they will be, when they can just rent them "like the rest of europe", who seem to have it all worked out, and we should be mimicking.
    I myself am more optimistic that we can make the necessary adjustments over a number of years to avoid any sharp slumps in the economy.

You must be speaking personally, because that sharp slump has happened. Hoorah! for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Jeez... Get a room...

gerryo777 wrote: »
    WOW!, Just a quick check in and the bould frannie is asking bill if he's '**** off' or is he with his guns in his mountain compound???
    Too much vino frannie??
    Is the pressure of being a twit getting to ya?

Reckon that little rant will be embarrassing in the morning.

Sometimes you just gotta laugh!:D

To be honest Gerry, the big flouncy off 'good bye' posts, tend to lose a bit of their dramatic impact, when you're back a couple of posts later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So.....Much...... Anger......

Reminds me of the father next door from "American beauty"
    Suppression tends to do that, I guess.

To be honest Gerry, the big flouncy off 'good bye' posts, tend to lose a bit of their dramatic impact, when you're back a couple of posts later.

:D:D:D

Never said I was gone forever.

You, on the other hand can't seem to exist without some internet ranting.

So....Much.....Anger......

Ha Ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/73-in-donegal-fail-to-pay-100-levy-192111.html

Looks like we were being fed lies about the numbers paying...

In total across the country, 685,442 have paid the charge out of the estimated 1.6m liable.

I thought it was supposed to be over 900,000 that had paid :confused:. Glad to see that it isnt :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,952 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

D_murph wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/73-in-donegal-fail-to-pay-100-levy-192111.html

I thought it was supposed to be over 900,000 that had paid :confused:. Glad to see that it isnt :D.

Yes I always suspected that the numbers were being exaggerated.
    The threats are not working and the people have had enough.
    I suspect it will be the same with the water and I also suspect that when its up and running it will be sold off to some private company who will increase the charge substantially annually.

:D:D:D

Never said I was gone forever.

You, on the other hand can't seem to exist without some internet ranting.

So....Much.....Anger......

Ha Ha!

Says the second highest poster in the thread.

I've over a hundred posts to try to catch up with you.

Says the second highest poster in the thread.

I've over a hundred posts to try to catch up with you.

I was making my point up until the deadline, happy enough now as it looks like less than half have paid up.

Point made!

I've no need to be on as much now.

What's your excuse frannie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Lol, so when the truth be told, more or less a million households didn't pay?

I'm surprised at the govt telling us lies again. :rolleyes:

Edna will be in serious trouble now with Angie baby!

I was making my point up until the deadline, happy enough now as it looks like less than half have paid up.

Point made!

I've no need to be on as much now.

What's your excuse frannie?

I'm being paid by the Government to post here.
    Professional Shill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its a bit early for those who haven't paid to be declaring victory. The government aren't going to back down on this, they can't, they have no choice. the accumulated fines and interest will have to be paid if you ever want to sell your property, and the longer you wait the more it will be. If you don't plan on selling your property before you die then whoever inherits it won't be able to sell it until the fines and interest are paid off. I wonder if people will be brought to court and forced to pay up or go to prison? I'm in favour of that more than the fines route. If only our prisons weren't so overcrowded.

Article makes no sense.
    Only source quoted for the figures is the LGMA which is reporting entirely different figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Hijpo

MadYaker wrote: »
    Its a bit early for those who haven't paid to be declaring victory. The government aren't going to back down on this, they can't, they have no choice. the accumulated fines and interest will have to be paid if you ever want to sell your property, and the longer you wait the more it will be. If you don't plan on selling your property before you die then whoever inherits it won't be able to sell it until the fines and interest are paid off. I wonder if people will be brought to court and forced to pay up or go to prison? I'm in favour of that more than the fines route. If only our prisons weren't so overcrowded.

Lmao id go to prison, my partner and child would have it easier and id have more luxuries in there than i do in the real world. If prison was a deterant you wouldnt have so much blatant disregard for the law and life for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

They'll have fines attached to the resale value of their properties. Big feckin' swing.

You angry 'cause yor ma made you pay it?

• Advertisement

I will live in a tent on Salthill Pier before I pay it. Me and the other million.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Irish Times on 23 April had the figure over 921,000.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0423/breaking37.html

How to explain the difference? Well the Times say that 206,000 payments received by post have yet to be processed. No mention of that in the Examiner.

There has been some very poor journalism on this and related topics and the Examiner report seems to be another example.

The Sunday Times made up a story two weeks back saying that people would have to pay a lump sum of up to €600 for water meters. This set the news agenda for the next few days until the Government announced that there would be a standing charge just like there is for other utilities and no lump sum payment. The following week instead of apologising for misleading the nation (there was absolutely no mention of the possibility of a standing charge in their article) the Sunday Times accused the Government of a "communications fiasco". Laughable. So you don't want to believe everything you read in the papers.

The Irish Times on 23 April had the figure over 921,000.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0423/breaking37.html

How to explain the difference? Well the Times say that 206,000 payments received by post have yet to be processed. No mention of that in the Examiner.

There has been some very poor journalism on this and related topics and the Examiner report seems to be another example.

The Sunday Times made up a story two weeks back saying that people would have to pay a lump sum of up to €600 for water meters. This set the news agenda for the next few days until the Government announced that there would be a standing charge just like there is for other utilities and no lump sum payment. The following week instead of apologising for misleading the nation (there was absolutely no mention of the possibility of a standing charge in their article) the Sunday Times accused the Government of a "communications fiasco". Laughable. So you don't want to believe everything you read in the papers.

I don't usually bother reading the papers, mainly because they have become like blogs for their owners.

But if the Government doesen't communicate properly, the "bloggers" fill in the gaps!

Now when will the official figures of payments for the end of March be available (after the postal applications etc have been processed).

I don't usually bother reading the papers, mainly because they have become like blogs for their owners.

But if the Government doesen't communicate properly, the "bloggers" fill in the gaps!

Now when will the official figures of payments for the end of March be available (after the postal applications etc have been processed).

Surely our hardworking, ever efficient PS staff in the 29 county councils can't have taken a month already to process the few postal payments.

A month???

And still not processed??

And they demand our money to support these type of inefficiencies?

They can **** right off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Hijpo wrote: »
    Lmao id go to prison, my partner and child would have it easier and id have more luxuries in there than i do in the real world. If prison was a deterant you wouldnt have so much blatant disregard for the law and life for that matter.
    Do you find it depressing that you've screwed up your life to such an extent that your family would be better off if you were sent to prison?

dvpower wrote: »
    Do you find it depressing that you've screwed up your life to such an extent that your family would be better off if you were sent to prison?

Maybe his family would be happy that he put food on their table rather than on some German bondholder's table. People have gone to prison in the past for honourable purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Well if i cant afford to bring them on holidays but if i went to prison they would get trips away, i live in a town near a beach and loads of prisoners partners get to come here with there kids. My missus would would single parent supplements and if she dropped her hours to part time hours would be entitled to.medicalcards and mortgage relief etc when im in prison id lounge around all day playin playstation and xbox and hit the gym now again not to mention boost my edication for free.
    It would be a hell of a lot easier than it is now. Id get out in a few months maybe a year? Who knows the justice system doesnt seem to have a regular pattern for dealig with offences.

Screwed up my life? Lmao what kind of an ass hole are you to post such a comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

dvpower wrote: »

dvpower, no matter what you think to hijpo, that is an a**hole post.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Well if i cant afford to bring them on holidays but if i went to prison they would get trips away, i live in a town near a beach and loads of prisoners partners get to come here with there kids. My missus would would single parent supplements and if she dropped her hours to part time hours would be entitled to.medicalcards and mortgage relief etc when im in prison id lounge around all day playin playstation and xbox and hit the gym now again not to mention boost my edication for free.
    It would be a hell of a lot easier than it is now. Id get out in a few months maybe a year? Who knows the justice system doesnt seem to have a regular pattern for dealig with offences.

Screwed up my life? Lmao what kind of an ass hole are you to post such a comment.

It's dv, what would you expect? Same as frannie, they know no matter how they massage the figures, well under 50% have paid so they have now reverted to type and are lashing out the insults, you just gotta laugh at them.

They're probably not aloud to speak their minds in their own homes/workplaces so they come on here to 'vent'.

Leave them at it.....

• Advertisement

It's dv, what would you expect? Same as frannie, they know no matter how they massage the figures, well under 50% have paid so they have now reverted to type and are lashing out the insults, you just gotta laugh at them.

They're probably not aloud to speak their minds in their own homes/workplaces so they come on here to 'vent'.

Leave them at it.....

haven't been banned from the thread yet

......unlike certain other posters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement