Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You need to not live in wonderland. Must send you on that letter from the Nigerian prince that wrote to me. He'd shure love to meet you.......

I'd hardly call knowing how elections work as wonderland, maybe to you it is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I'd hardly call knowing how elections work as wonderland, maybe to you it is though.

OK you win. Obviously you know stuff. That feel better?

Knowing when you're being ripped off is such an important life skill so obviously missed in electioneering college.

OK you win. Obviously you know stuff. That feel better?

Knowing when you're being ripped off is such an important life skill so obviously missed in electioneering college.

That depends on your view of being ripped off, obviously the people of Sligo/Leitrim don't feel ripped off. Maybe they would if he refused to turn up to the Dail or his constituency offices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

http://www.djei.ie/corporate/ministersoffice/johnperry.jpg

This is the chap.

My local T.D.

Only ever saw him at funerals. Always first in the queue to offer his condolences.

He'll go the same way as his FF predecessor.

To even mention his name now draws some serious abuse.

Still haven't paid btw :pac:

And the way this referendum campaign is going, they're in for some slap.

Que se vayan todos.
    That depends on your view of being ripped off, obviously the people of Sligo/Leitrim don't feel ripped off. Maybe they would if he refused to turn up to the Dail or his constituency offices though.

Whoa! Hold your horses there boss.

I, as one of this person's constituents, feel proper ripped off like.
    And furthermore, to make the assumption that all of the people that he claims to represent don't feel ripped off is taking the p1ss tbh. The fact that it seems to be obvious to you would suggest that you are rather ignorant of the situation.

Sorry now, but I feel compelled to just not allow this excuse for a public representative to be defended round these here parts without it being taken exception to.

I would much prefer if he didn't budge from his Ballymote bolthole from now until he gets booted out. It would cost less for a start. And his presence in the Dail only serves to makes things worse as far as I'm concerned.

And don't get me started on his blueshirted buddy, Tony 'I'm Catholic if nothing else' McLoughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

You mean to tell me that in this day and age of technology he cant video confrence to his offices? He has to drive, actually, he has to be chauffeur driven to his offices?

• Advertisement

Pete M. wrote: »

Whoa! Hold your horses there boss.

I, as one of this person's constituents, feel proper ripped off like.
    And furthermore, to make the assumption that all of the people that he claims to represent don't feel ripped off is taking the p1ss tbh. The fact that it seems to be obvious to you would suggest that you are rather ignorant of the situation.

Sorry now, but I feel compelled to just not allow this excuse for a public representative to be defended round these here parts without it being taken exception to.

I would much prefer if he didn't budge from his Ballymote bolthole from now until he gets booted out. It would cost less for a start. And his presence in the Dail only serves to makes things worse as far as I'm concerned.

And don't get me started on his blueshirted buddy, Tony 'I'm Catholic if nothing else' McLoughlin.

We'll see if he gets booted out, I'll hazard a guess he won't though despite your wishes. Fair enough, I'm sure not everyone is happy but he doesn't really have many options. Either not turn up to the Dail or his constituency offices I'm sure would annoy a lot more of his constituents then the current situation.

We'll see if he gets booted out, I'll hazard a guess he won't though despite your wishes. Fair enough, I'm sure not everyone is happy but he doesn't really have many options. Either not turn up to the Dail or his constituency offices I'm sure would annoy a lot more of his constituents then the current situation.

He's three offices, and the dail don't open seven days a week. Let's be clear here. What you're doing is taking the p1ss.

Fair play n'all. But this sh1t not funny. Kids need that money for education and healthcare. Sligo TD should be put away for that kind of scam. That's the truth.

He's three offices, and the dail don't open seven days a week. Let's be clear here. What you're doing is taking the p1ss.

Fair play n'all. But this sh1t not funny. Kids need that money for education and healthcare. Sligo TD should be put away for that kind of scam. That's the truth.

I know he has 3 offices, should he not visit them or just 1 or two? Dail doesn't need him to be open 7 days a week for him to hit those numbers.

Hazard away. You'll be wrong :cool:

It's not just my wishes. He really has cooked his own goose.
    It is clear to me that you have either very little to no real knowledge of local politics in this neck of the woods or else a very partisan one.

Either way, he is gone next time round and the sooner that is the better.

Pete M. wrote: »
    Hazard away. You'll be wrong :cool:

It's not just my wishes. He really has cooked his own goose.
    It is clear to me that you have either very little to no real knowledge of local politics in this neck of the woods or else a very partisan one.

Either way, he is gone next time round and the sooner that is the better.

As I said we'll see. I think your chip on your shoulder might be swaying your view.

• Advertisement

I know he has 3 offices, should he not visit them or just 1 or two? Dail doesn't need him to be open 7 days a week for him to hit those numbers.

The guy is far out passing the longest number of miles the US postal lorries do per day.

US postal lorries deliver post, he's a fvcking TD. Work it out for yourself.

The guy is far out passing the longest number of miles the US postal lorries do per day.

US postal lorries deliver post, he's a fvcking TD. Work it out for yourself.

So still no conclusion as to why he should do, solid and logical input. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

So still no conclusion as to why he should do, solid and logical input. Well done.

Because he's (it would appear quite obvious to me, and I suspect even dvpower, who hasn't even attempted to defend these expense claims) obviously fiddled his expenses.

30,000€ a year, that equals to give or take €600 a week on fuel for Christ sake :eek:

I presume he drives a car, (petrol or otherwise) and not a Boeing/Cessna or a Robinson helicopter?

my job involves covering a lot of the country on a daily basis, (all 32 counties) and I return home to my own house most evenings, I go through a fill of diesel every other day (give our take) which at €70 a fill comes to 140-210 a week, which obviously means even at my busiest, if not go over 11,000 year in fuel expenses.

I'd take a wild presumption here, but I'm betting if this thief was in opposition ATM, he'd be calling for the resignation of the TD in his area claiming these obvious sham expenses.

At least Dick turpin wore a mask chucky, but thanks for defending him, and you guys expect to strand at our front doors, cap in hand, asking for a hundred euro?

Whistle for it, FG. You've proven you can't be trusted with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    Because he's (it would appear quite obvious to me, and I suspect even dvpower, who hasn't even attempted to defend these expense claims) obviously fiddled his expenses.
    wtf. Why would I want to defend lavish, possibly fraudulent, expense claims?

Isn't Wasn't this thread about the HHC?

They should investigate - starting with rechecking the odometer readings.
    ‘Mileage paid to Ministers of State is strictly based on mileage driven, and odometer readings are provided to the Department at the beginning and end of every month.’

dvpower wrote: »
    wtf. Why would I want to defend lavish, possibly fraudulent, expense claims?

Isn't Wasn't this thread about the HHC?

They should investigate - starting with rechecking the odometer readings.

I'm speaking in your favour dv, you seem to acknowledge wrong doings and don't try to excuse them!

And righty so.

As I said we'll see. I think your chip on your shoulder might be swaying your view.

Which one would that be now?

Have a few on each :P

You know me so well :cool:

Poosted on bookface today

Fifty Eight per cent of people in this country have refused to register for the Household Tax, 61% in this City and 63% in the County.
    TRUTH IS ALWAYS THE FIRST CASUALTY IN ANY WAR.
    We do not accept the government figures as they understate the number of households liable to pay, calculations by independent academic expert using the Governments own figures show that almost 1 million Householders have rejected this Tax.
    This represents a significant defeat for the Government at the hands of a mass movement of popular resistance to the Charge.
    If such large numbers of people are willing to put themselves in conflict with the government over a €100 household tax, it’s clear that the government have little hope of imposing Property and Water Taxes next year.
    But they clearly have not got the message; they intend to ram thro an annual standing metering charge of 40Euro on 1.6 millions homes, and hundreds of Euro in water Charges each year.
    They intend turning Water into a commodity, with access restricted, and users charged, this is the well worn path to Privatization. Look at the Waste industry an essential service provided by local government for over a hundred years, now all but in private hands nation wide. Denial of this by Fine Gael and Labour Ministers are lies;
    Irish Water, was set up by Gov as a subsidiary of Bord Gais which itself is targeted for privatization, and will be subject to EU competition law, that ensures that any State Monopoly that generates revenue must be open to others to compete in.
    Irish Water intends to have a core workforce of 1000 employees , whereas, there are over 4,000 employed by Local Authorities in the Water Industry, these jobs and the local knowledge and expertise that is involved in them, will leak away over the next number of years just like the 40-50% of treated water lost thro’ leaking pipes.
    If Water Conservation is truly the objective, it makes more sense economically and socially to invest in the replacement and repair of leaking pipes.
    Contrary to the lie that Water is free, it is paid for by you from your taxes ie Income Tax and Indirect Taxes like Vat, it is vital therefore that water continue to be funded thro’ central taxation and ACESS not dependant on income.
    In the 80s and 90s the Waterford Combined Residents and Tenants along with local Trade Union Activists fought Water Charges, and along with similar Campaigns around the country forced the then Government to abolish those Charges.
    These Campaigns boycotted these charges, united people, resisted Disconnections- Reconnected people when water was cut off, Defended people in court with Legal Assistance, large Demonstrations were mounted on the day of court appearances, by work colleagues, neighbors’ and friends. The result was a victory for People Power.
    Today the CAHWT is firmly established in every corner of the country, mass non registration is a fact .We are already stronger that we were in the 80s, together we can defeat this Austerity agenda.
    If we reject Property and Water tax as being imposed to repay private Debt of the International Fianance Gamblers, then it makes good sense to reject the Fiscal Compact, that will commit us to a more intense Austerity for the next 20 yrs.

The massive mountain of debt placed on the people of this country thro’ no fault of their own, must be written off or written down, by voting NO we send that message to Europe, as this Government has on their own admission has failed to do.
    A plethora of recent surveys have shown Poverty on the increase, while the top 10% of the population increased their Income by 8% the bottom 10% saw theirs decrease by 26%.
    Just under half the workforce has less than 100 Euros each month to spend after paying their bills, while 1 in 5 children are going to bed hungry.
    Mean while the Sunday Times Rich List show the 300 richest people increased their wealth by 12 billion, up from 165 million per person to 210 million each.
    We demand that the burden of Austerity be shifted onto those most able to bear it, a wealth Tax must be introduced immediately along with a list of other measures and taxes.
    It seems Min Phil Hogan Kenny and Gilmore hell-bent on provoking a confrontation with the People. The People are ready for that confrontation and we will win, and win policies that put society and its citizens ahead of the banksters.
    Don’t allow politicians, including those who were part of the previous corrupt Government, and those of the current Government who sat thro’ the boom and proposed to lower taxes even further, who never once walked out of the Dail or alerted us to the cathostrophic crisis about to befall us, and the so called expert economists who got it so wrong, to rob you of your anger, to mesmerize you with their voodoo economics, and down right lies, these are the same people who cheer led the greed of the Celtic Tiger and destroyed the lives of hundreds of thousands of our people.
    Reject their Property and Water Tax.
    Vote No to the Austerity Treaty.

Hijpo wrote: »
    TRUTH IS ALWAYS THE FIRST CASUALTY IN ANY WAR.
    From the horses mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

A

Is Phil Hogan a law breaker/tax evader for not paying his equivalent of the household charge in Portugal?

A simple yes or no will do.

Thanks ;)
    No. Simple enough?

Are you serious? It's not the equivalent.
    It's a dispute between two private individuals, just as if he disputed a hotel bill.

If the charge were levied by the local authority you might be on to something but instead you are illustrating your piss poor understanding of the law.

dvpower wrote: »
    From the horses mouth.

So you agree that the government is jockying figures to form facts that plump up there propaganda?

the principle is the same though. hes not paying because hes not happy with services, were entitled to hold the same opinion about the services we recieve arnt we?

• Advertisement

the principle is the same though. hes not paying because hes not happy with services, were entitled to hold the same opinion about the services we recieve arnt we?
    another piss poor, self serving example by the "let someone else pay brigade".

He has a contract with the company to provide certain services, he feels the have not fulfilled their side and has not paid yet. He bought the apartment know there would be service charges and presumably has no difficulty with that. It's the level of service that is causing the dispute, and it's a civil matter.

Say I'm self employed. and earning 500k a year. Do you think I have a should be able to choose whether or not I pay my taxes? or just "de ordinary man, Joe" that should have a choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

After looking at the form. There is a box to be ticked that asks if you are exempt from the tax.

With so many trying to find work and on the dole at the moment, they dont have to to pay. And rightly so. They will tick said box and not pay.

Are the government using this great number of people to beef up their count on those who have registered and payed.

Nearly everyone I have spoken to said they have not payed. How could the % of normal people that I have asked differ so much from the government result.

I think they are lieing about the number of people who have payed. Even 50% seems off to me.

(and then they ask me to vote yes, thay can take a massive flying f--k to themselves .)

bluesteel wrote: »
    Say I'm self employed. and earning 500k a year. Do you think I have a should be able to choose whether or not I pay my taxes? or just "de ordinary man, Joe" that should have a choice?

Im "the ordinary man, joe" and i have no problem paying taxes as i have been for the last 10 years and iv no problem paying the other charges like tv licences etc infact when i was let go for a year i was told i was entitled to very little as my partner (who i am not married to) had a full time job, but when she tried to claim my tax credits she couldnt because we wernt married even though we shared the same mortgage burden and have a child together so that was us ****ed over, luckily i had no intention of frauding the welfare system as i get a sense of pride in saying "i have a job" and was back working as soon as i found work. SO, seen as iv been paying taxes yet still dont avail of any "benefits" or "entitlements" from my taxes when i do get stuck for a few bob they can use the taxes i do pay at the moment to sort out the mess and can sing for any extra money, i seem to be scratching there back but get a kick i the arse in return.

Id just like to point out too, that if you or any of the other YES brigade had any balls you wouldnt be getting walked all over by them now and you wouldnt have this pissed off attitude towards the people that are standing up to them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

gsxr1 wrote: »
    After looking at the form. There is a box to be ticked that asks if you are exempt from the tax.

With so many trying to find work and on the dole at the moment, they dont have to to pay. And rightly so. They will tick said box and not pay.

Are the government using this great number of people to beef up their count on those who have registered and payed.

Nearly everyone I have spoken to said they have not payed. How could the % of normal people that I have asked differ so much from the government result.

I think they are lieing about the number of people who have payed. Even 50% seems off to me.

(and then they ask me to vote yes, thay can take a massive flying f--k to themselves .)

Being on the dole does not exempt a home owner from the charge. As regards how many have paid the only measure that makes sense is to see how much of the €161 million target set by the Government has been collected so far. I think you will find it is well over 50%.

On another aspect it seems that there is proof now that houses which are being sold are having the unpaid charges collected by the solicitors.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2012/0510/1224315837387.html

No. Simple enough?

It's a dispute between two private individuals, just as if he disputed a hotel bill.

If the charge were levied by the local authority you might be on to something but instead you are illustrating your piss poor understanding of the law.

He refused to honour a legally binding contract.

Surely that's not too difficult for you to comprehend?

Being on the dole does not exempt a home owner from the charge. As regards how many have paid the only measure that makes sense is to see how much of the €161 million target set by the Government has been collected so far. I think you will find it is well over 50%.

On another aspect it seems that there is proof now that houses which are being sold are having the unpaid charges collected by the solicitors.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2012/0510/1224315837387.html

not even two whole months have passed yet from the deadline.
    It'd be hard to fathom that a measly 111€ would hinder the sale of a house, buy then that's just from my point
    Of view.

Edit, taken from your link.
    Not that it’s the only time that the sale of property forces the vendor to clear outstanding charges. Where a development is run by a management company, homeowners can’t sell their property unless they are up to date with management fees.

let's hope Phil isn't planning on selling up in the Algarve just yet either so.

He refused to honour a legally binding contract.

Surely that's not too difficult for you to comprehend?

er, it's in dispute. So you have intimate knowledge of the contract and the performance thereof? No you don't.

It may go to court and then the Judge will adjudicate.

Have you ever disputed a contract/charge? Ever return a faulty item? :rolleyes:

er, it's in dispute. So you have intimate knowledge of the contract and the performance thereof? No you don't.

It may go to court and then the Judge will adjudicate.

Have you ever disputed a contract/charge? Ever return a faulty item? :rolleyes:

numerous posters oh this thread have referred to the non payers of the household charge as law breakers and tax evaders, (but its a charge, not a tax)

Phil refused to pay his service charge, reasons being that he was 'unhappy with the service received.'

Close to a million people refused to pay for the household charge, with many on this threa d giving reasons that they too won't pay because they 'are not happy with the current services/lack of services provided in their area by the LC.'

Why are they law breakers for refusing to pay for a charge they're currently far from happy with, so in your own words, are 'disputing' charge applied, but Phil isn't?

Tell the truth , this its you Phil, isn't it? ;)

So you agree that the government is jockying figures to form facts that plump up there propaganda?

No. But I agree that some people are happy to lie or attempt to misrepresent others when it suits them, as you have just demonstrated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Actually folks, it doesn't matter much what threats the current regime make - they won't be in power long enough to carry them out :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement