Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

hondasam wrote: »
    Yes I agree with you it should be rezoned.
    I don't think he should be hammered with tax just because he did not sell or build.
    I suspect that this land isn't zoned for residential use at all, but is just agricultural land that could be used for residential use. If this person didn't ever intend to develop or sell the land (as mishkalucy suggested), then why would they apply to have it zoned as residential land at all?

If it is residential land and they don't intend to develop it, it should be pretty straightforward to get it rezoned back and avoid any tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

mishkalucy wrote: »
    If you had read my first comment with regard to this (post 3455)you would see that I clearly stated it was indeed a farm and that he lived on it.
    I never said that he applied for zoning, you said that.
    I simply said he lived on it so therefore it was his home.

DV doesn't read all the post, just see's the bit he wants to see and jumps on that.
    Probably the most disingenuous poster on here.

If you had read my first comment with regard to this (post 3455)you would see that I clearly stated it was indeed a farm and that he lived on it.
    I never said that he applied for zoning, you said that.
    I simply said he lived on it so therefore it was his home.

And I said:
    dvpower wrote: »
    It is a tax on residential sites, so unless this OAP is sitting on 20 acres of residential land then she won't be paying tax on it.

And you said:
    It is indeed a residential site, as I said he lives in what basically is a shack on it.

So, is it residential land or a residence with 20 acres of non residential land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I suspect that this land isn't zoned for residential use at all, but is just agricultural land that could be used for residential use. If this person didn't ever intend to develop or sell the land (as mishkalucy suggested), then why would they apply to have it zoned as residential land at all?

If it is residential land and they don't intend to develop it, it should be pretty straightforward to get it rezoned back and avoid any tax.

I never said he had it zoned residential!
    I said it was residential as he lived on it and that there has been a dwelling house on it(the one he still lives in)for over 150 years.

I never said he had it zoned residential!
    I said it was residential as he lived on it and that there has been a dwelling house on it(the one he still lives in)for over 150 years.
    So is the 20 acres residential or non residential?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

So is the 20 acres residential or non residential?

See above post(3485)

See above post
    I'm going to take it from that that the land (the 20 acres) isn't zoned for residential use and that this person couldn't just choose to start building houses on it.
    That being the case, it isn't a residential site, its just an ordinary small farm (agricultural) holding with a single residence on it.

It is interesting to see the unconstrained outrage by some of the anti HHC people here at the prospect of property speculators being taxed on their land banks.
    Is there anything you guys don't oppose? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm going to take it from that that the land (the 20 acres) isn't zoned for residential use and that this person couldn't just choose to start building houses on it.
    That being the case, it isn't a residential site, its just an ordinary small farm (agricultural) holding with a single residence on it.

It is interesting to see the unconstrained outrage by some of the anti HHC people here at the prospect of property speculators being taxed on their land banks.

You've conveniently turned a person, OAP at that, from a farmer with a few acres he can't afford to farm anymore, (physically or financially by the sounds of it) whose family have farmed, lived and died on the land he still resides on,

Into a speculator/developer with a twenty acre land bank who must be screwed with tax to the hilt, in one swift swoop.

Bravo DV, Bravo

If only the country had more geniuses like you, the country wouldn't be up on blocks at the minute. :rolleyes:

I'd just be wondering when you last seen a property speculator in Ireland...:D

BTW, a lot of these guys paid over vast sums to the local councils during the boom, did you ever stop to think about the waste of this money by the same councils on vanity projects, self indulgence, junkets to exotic climes on 'fact-finding' missions?
    Maybe you should direct some of your anger in that direction.

I extended/renovated my home in 2009 and had to pay the local council approx. €13,000 for 'services' provided.
    Now, they haven't done anything for me for that money, the road outside is still full of potholes, the hedges remain uncut and they certainly did nothing inside the boundary's of my property.
    Extortion is the only word for that, what other word could be used for demanding money and not providing anything in return.

And you want me to pay more?

Not a ****ing hope!

gerryo777 wrote: »
    I'd just be wondering when you last seen a property speculator in Ireland...:D

BTW, a lot of these guys paid over vast sums to the local councils during the boom, did you ever stop to think about the waste of this money by the same councils on vanity projects, self indulgence, junkets to exotic climes on 'fact-finding' missions?
    Ah property speculators, a great bunch of lads :pac:

• Advertisement

Once again, deflect from the question posed.
    True to form dv.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

You'll need more than Fr. Ted to dig you out of this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Segment from rtes the week in politics 3rd/6th/2012 just two days after the yes vote being carried on whats expected on future property taxes in Ireland.

20 acres of residentially zoned land is a land bank, no matter what you think the OAP considers it.

If the OAP isn't only seeing what the land is potentially worth they can ask the council to rezone it for agricultural or some other use. Simple.

No. I'm suggesting that they have land zoned for the purpose that they intend to use it. It most certainly wasn't residential land for centuries.

Ordinary men and women don't own 20 acres of residential land that they can just sit on. Property speculators on the other hand...
    It is NOT residential land until it is sold as such or developed! until then it's farmland, anyway who zoned it?

It is NOT residential land until it is sold as such or developed! until then it's farmland, anyway who zoned it?
    It appears that is just agricultural land, not zoned for residential development at all.

One of the problems during the boom was that of landowners getting agricultural land zoned for residential development and then sitting on it, drip feeding it on to the market, to extract the highest possible price and making huge profits for doing virtually no work at all.

If the property tax does turn out to be a site valuation tax, it will hopefully help to curb this practice the next time around.

It appears that is just agricultural land, not zoned for residential development at all.

One of the problems during the boom was that of landowners getting agricultural land zoned for residential development and then sitting on it, drip feeding it on to the market, to extract the highest possible price and making huge profits for doing virtually no work at all.

If the property tax does turn out to be a site valuation tax, it will hopefully help to curb this practice the next time around.

Could just have a time limit after a certain amount of time of doing nothing it goes back to agricultural land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

eth0 wrote: »
    Could just have a time limit after a certain amount of time of doing nothing it goes back to agricultural land

simple sensible solution, wont work for government though............

Could have both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

D_murph wrote: »
    Well, this is just like clockwork. The yes vote is in and now this comes up straight away...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/letter-plan-to-target-household-tax-dodgers-3126782.html

This shower of cunts dont waste much time or even try to be subtle do they? :rolleyes:

Hi D_murph,

All I can say is, anybody who thought that this would'nt come up this quick is living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

D_murph wrote: »
    Well, this is just like clockwork. The yes vote is in and now this comes up straight away...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/letter-plan-to-target-household-tax-dodgers-3126782.html

This shower of cunts dont waste much time or even try to be subtle do they? :rolleyes:

Closely followed by this gem --

Berlin says bank deal for Ireland would send wrong signal
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...317296513.html
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny raised the bank debt issue with German chancellor Angela Merkel last Friday, but senior German officials dispute Mr Kenny’s interpretation of Ireland’s fiscal treaty vote as a “message to European Union leaders” for a “just” debt deal.

“We see no need for movement at the moment,” said Martin Kotthaus, spokesman for finance minister Wolfgang Schäuble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Could have both.

you could but there'd be absolutely no point.

you could but there'd be absolutely no point.
    ... if you want to give extra tax breaks to property speculators.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Closely followed by this gem --

Berlin says bank deal for Ireland would send wrong signal
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...317296513.html
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny raised the bank debt issue with German chancellor Angela Merkel last Friday, but senior German officials dispute Mr Kenny’s interpretation of Ireland’s fiscal treaty vote as a “message to European Union leaders” for a “just” debt deal.

“We see no need for movement at the moment,” said Martin Kotthaus, spokesman for finance minister Wolfgang Schäuble.

Can all You Yes voters now see that you should keep at least some cards to maybe bargain with. Need I say any more.:rolleyes:

jbyrne10 wrote: »
    Can all You Yes voters now see that you should keep at least some cards to maybe bargain with. Need I say any more.:rolleyes:

We might as well have the drunkard cowan fighting for us, or the sleazebag ahern, or the local alco.
    These people have no clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

In Sundays Business Post yesterday

Revenue set to collect property tax

10 June 2012 by Cliff Taylor
    The Revenue Commissioners look set to be given the role of collecting the new property tax, meaning it can be deducted from PAYE incomes.

Glenalla wrote: »

The Revenue Commissioners look set to be given the role of collecting the new property tax, meaning it can be deducted from PAYE incomes.
    So why don't they just put another 1% on income tax, same difference!
    Mind you, they wouldn't need another quango to do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I will go postal if they try to take anything else out of my measly wages. My disposible income I have left every week in €12.82

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't see Seanie Fitz and his Fianna Fail buddies struggling to pay Household Taxes. Seanie is supposed to be struggling to survive on his dole of 188e per week yet is partying in an exclusive hotel in Poland at the European Championships.They are paying 550e per night and living the high life after ruining the country yet Hulk Hogan would prefer to chase down lads who are trying to feed their families and pay a mortgage. SICKENING.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/euro-2012-seanie-fitzpatrick-joins-fans-in-poznan-from-550anight-hotel-3134076.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

kwalshe wrote: »
    I will go postal if they try to take anything else out of my measly wages. My disposible income I have left every week in €12.82

That will do nicely, (SWIPE) thanks!
    Seanie is supposed to be struggling to survive on his dole of 188e per week yet is partying in an exclusive hotel in Poland at the European Championships.

Didn't see any sign of the old black VW golf out at the K-club for the recent family wedding either. Harsh times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement