Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

mikom wrote: »
    TV licence styleeee...

a tv what ?????? ...he he!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    ...and 200 is a bit off of 800,000 who according to the gov. have paid.
    you say you know of 'a few' who haven't paid but intend to....well i know of many more who paid who are now regretting it, and will not pay next year.
    What percentage of those who have paid did so out of fear, under duress ?...i do not know but i would guess it is a large number....plus...it was 'only €100 or €2 a week' to quote big phil....what will be the reaction next year and how many would have paid this year if as you have said the amount was €700 ?????....go on, stick your head in the sand and ignore all this....the government are doing exactly that at their own peril

Where did I say it was €700. I was talking about claims that 700,000 arent going to pay and I just asked how someone could know this and was directed to the poll above.

Ignore all what exactly, what is it that I have ignored?

yeah, your right, it is an awful lot of money, 700,000 * 12 months = €8,400,000 or to put it another way that would cover 8 hours of our annual deficit !!!!!!...and i said deficit...not spending !!!!!!

Well at least we agree then it is an awful lot of money and I am sure the Govt would be happy to have €8.4m extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

mikom wrote: »
    Postman gone for another day........... and still no love letter from my beloved big Phil.

Got a letter from big Phil this morning. :mad:

See attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ghandee wrote: »
    Got a letter from big Phil this morning. :mad:

See attached.

I'd be more worried that he's hacked your Boards.ie account (probably with a bit of help from "No Sh!t" Sherlock)

• Advertisement

donalg1 wrote: »
    Where did I say it was €700. I was talking about claims that 700,000 arent going to pay and I just asked how someone could know this and was directed to the poll above.

ok, it could be €700 , or €500 or €1,000, who knows, but it will certainly be a multiple of €100.
    many of those who paid did so very begrudgingly, some paid out of fear, others gave in and paid due to the constant threats on our airwaves from fg/lab td's...and it was 'only €100' this year, if the gov. had not acted disgracefully like this, how many would have paid?....and if it had been €500 or €700 how many would (or could) have paid ?
    it is these facts that you are ignoring...you are living on another planet if you think more people will pay this next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Someone else let the mask slip last night and told us all it will be €700.
    I presume the 'I'm not paying the household charge because it's being used to bail out the banks' brigade are all busy filing their self assessment returns now?

I really hope the defaulters are stuffed with charges and penalties all the way (on top of their Eur700 charge next year).

The United Left Alliance representatives who led them astray will pay their dues out of their expenses claims. Hypocrites. Now we see who looks foolish

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79582163&postcount=4026

ok, it could be €700 , or €500 or €1,000, who knows, but it will certainly be a multiple of €100.
    many of those who paid did so very begrudgingly, some paid out of fear, others gave in and paid due to the constant threats on our airwaves from fg/lab td's...and it was 'only €100' this year, if the gov. had not acted disgracefully like this, how many would have paid?....and if it had been €500 or €700 how many would (or could) have paid ?
    it is these facts that you are ignoring...you are living on another planet if you think more people will pay this next year.

I am not ignoring anything, you brought it up in your last post and claimed I was ignoring it in the same post. :confused:

Most of the people that paid did it begrudgingly for one reason or another I wouldnt imagine there were too many that paid that were happy to have done so, I for one wasnt.

I do believe people will pay next year as the reasons for paying this year will be the same next year, the only thing that will have changed will be the amount they begrudgingly pay. I actually believe more will pay as they wont so easily avoid it.

Am Chile wrote: »
    Someone else let the mask slip last night and told us all it will be €700.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79582163&postcount=4026

So I didnt say it then.

So I didnt say it then.

I never said you did.

• Advertisement

I never said you did.

I know, sorry that wasnt a question it was me pointing out to someone else that I didnt say it. As another poster claimed I did but as of yet hasnt shown me where I did, but you seem to have confirmed it for him that I didnt say it. Cheers

Well at least we agree then it is an awful lot of money and I am sure the Govt would be happy to have €8.4m extra

Donal, €8.4m is a drop in the ocean, as i have said it will cover 8 hours of our yearly deficit.
    What the gov. should be doing is looking at why we have a deficit of €13.5b in the first place and tackling that. They are already collecting a lot more tax than a few years ago, and remember, they are collecting more tax from a smaller number of working people....blood from a stone etc.
    solution ?.....severely cut spending, pay, pensions etc, but do it in a way that minimises front line cuts as much as possible, it can be done, or at least, it can be done in a better way than the current situation.
    I am not certain what the current deficit is but I am saying €13.5b, so we are overspending by €260m A WEEK !!!! the longer this continues the further up the creek we paddle, this needs to stop NOW, increasing tax is not the answer, it is not even part of the answer. The Gov. are up to all sorts of tricks, remember the recent deferral of a promissory note payment of €3.1 that was due earlier this year, not due to start repaying until 2021, how the f*ck does that help us ? of course Inda and Big Phil etc. will have their guaranteed inflated pensions by then leaving us and the next generation in the sh*te for years to come...rant over...
    afternoon all.

I am not ignoring anything, you brought it up in your last post and claimed I was ignoring it in the same post. :confused:

Most of the people that paid did it begrudgingly for one reason or another I wouldnt imagine there were too many that paid that were happy to have done so, I for one wasnt.

I do believe people will pay next year as the reasons for paying this year will be the same next year, the only thing that will have changed will be the amount they begrudgingly pay. I actually believe more will pay as they wont so easily avoid it.

it's easy to avoid, just don't pay, sit back, relax and see lets see what they can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

it's easy to avoid, just don't pay, sit back, relax and see lets see what they can do about it.

Well there's a charge on your house anyway for starters and you're accruing interest by the month. I hope you don't have ambition!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So "Big Phil" is at it again...BLOWING MORE TAX PAYERS MONEY..:mad:

Or should I say.......blowing all the 100 euro household charge fees?.;)

Story taken from todays newspapers.

this shower of f*cks we call our gov. are priceless.
    They say they can't force the banks to pass on a mortgage rate cut....even though we the tax payers pay the gov.'s wages, we have bailed out the banks, we are being taxed to the hilt to pay their debts and best of all, we all but own them anyway !!!
    ....and yet they are able to force and threaten thousands of people into paying an immoral tax on the roof over their heads...
    we live in a very sick society.

They say they can't force the banks to pass on a mortgage rate cut....even though we the tax payers pay the gov.'s wages, we have bailed out the banks, we are being taxed to the hilt to pay their debts and best of all, we all but own them anyway !!!
    ....and yet they are able to force and threaten thousands of people into paying an immoral tax on the roof over their heads...

Ah man, you need to take a chill pill.

Do your bit and pay your household charge and your property tax next year. It's a few hundred euro, hardly the end of the world.

They can fine you and get more money than was necessary out of you for a start.

Donal, €8.4m is a drop in the ocean, as i have said it will cover 8 hours of our yearly deficit.
    What the gov. should be doing is looking at why we have a deficit of €13.5b in the first place and tackling that. They are already collecting a lot more tax than a few years ago, and remember, they are collecting more tax from a smaller number of working people....blood from a stone etc.
    solution ?.....severely cut spending, pay, pensions etc, but do it in a way that minimises front line cuts as much as possible, it can be done, or at least, it can be done in a better way than the current situation.
    I am not certain what the current deficit is but I am saying €13.5b, so we are overspending by €260m A WEEK !!!! the longer this continues the further up the creek we paddle, this needs to stop NOW, increasing tax is not the answer, it is not even part of the answer. The Gov. are up to all sorts of tricks, remember the recent deferral of a promissory note payment of €3.1 that was due earlier this year, not due to start repaying until 2021, how the f*ck does that help us ? of course Inda and Big Phil etc. will have their guaranteed inflated pensions by then leaving us and the next generation in the sh*te for years to come...rant over...
    afternoon all.

Yeah I agree with the above but what you are saying is there is no point in them collecting 8.5m then because they owe so much anyway so whats the point. Surely every cent counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

They can fine you and get more money than was necessary out of you for a start.
    Be afraid be very afraid.
    Izzy Skint wasn't he some comic character back in the 70's if I remember correctly?
    We will all be skint by the time this government will be finished with us.

• Advertisement

Be afraid be very afraid.
    Izzy Skint wasn't he some comic character back in the 70's if I remember correctly?

No idea way too young to remember that sure I wasnt born til the 80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

paddy147 wrote: »
    So "Big Phil" is at it again...BLOWING MORE TAX PAYERS MONEY..:mad:

Or should I say.......blowing all the 100 euro household charge fees?.;)

Story taken from todays newspapers.

Jesus Christ

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Jesus Christ

Well at least people will know where their money is going when they pay the HHC

Do your bit and pay your household charge and your property tax next year. It's a few hundred euro, hardly the end of the world.

Now you ve said it-It's a few hundred euro-type of money some people just don,t have.

Plus to add Alan Shatter wants couples to sell of their engagement rings also.
    JUSTICE Minister Alan Shatter has told couples to sell their engagement rings before seeking help with their debts.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/debt-problem-sell-off-your-rings-shatter-3160663.html

Dont, worry the status quo since the foundation of the state of Fianna fail/fine gael won,t last forever.

Bishop, many people simply do not have the money, people's priority is to keep the roof over their heads, feed their children, petrol in the car, domestic bills et. the list goes on and on. For many it is not just a question of whether they can afford to pay, it is the principle of the whole thing. Even those who can well afford to pay this but refuse to do so are doing the right thing....why should people who have worked hard, paid their taxes, were not a burden on the state and done all this for their families, why should those people now have to pay a tax on their homes, all because of the mess the banks and governments have made of this country ? we are already screwed in every way, medicine, gp visits, petrol, gas, electricity, education costs, tv licences, motor tax, vrt, usc, prsi etc. etc. ....enough is enough.

Tax and stamp duty bloated the public coffers during the 'boom' years (boom years, what a joke!) , as a result public spending increased rapidly. All of that extra income is now gone with the banking crisis / housing bubble, the gov. are now left with the good old fashioned paye, prsi etc. to run the country, they have increased taxes by reducing cut off points, usc charge, vat increase etc. they can not go any further with this, they MUST reduce the public spend to what it was before the 'celtic tiger' kicked in...but i'm afraid they do not have the guts to do this, many have become accustomed to their lavish public sector pay, pensions and perks and the gov. are not willing to take on the unions or be seen to cut social welfare etc. We are overpayed and inefficient in this country, there is no accountability, if you make a balls of something in public office you can always just retire and enjoy your lovely pension, the tax payer will sort out the mess that's left behind !!!
    This lack of guts by the gov. to tackle the root causes of our massive deficit is the main reason why i am so angry with them and why i can see this country heading for disaster in the near future. Tackle the deficit and we are well on our way, ignore it, act too slowly or tackle it from the wrong angle and you risk screwing up the country big time.

Plus to add Alan Shatter wants couples to sell of their engagement rings also.

http://www.herald.ie/news/debt-problem-sell-off-your-rings-shatter-3160663.html

Dont, worry the status quo since the foundation of the state of Fianna fail/fine gael won,t last forever.

unbelievable.
    Shatter should be more woried about keeping scumbags in prison for their full sentences, or else cutting the €80,000 a year it costs on average to keep one of them there.
    minister for 'justice, equality and law reform'....what a joke, if we had just one of those in this country i would be happy.
    Shatter, another was of space and money....useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

unbelievable.
    Shatter should be more woried about keeping scumbags in prison for their full sentences, or else cutting the €80,000 a year it costs on average to keep one of them there.
    minister for 'justice, equality and law reform'....what a joke, if we had just one of those in this country i would be happy.
    Shatter, another was of space and money....useless.

His Marie-Antoinette moment "Let them eat cake"
    The arrogance of this Govt will be their undoing.

Bishop, many people simply do not have the money, people's priority is to keep the roof over their heads, feed their children, petrol in the car, domestic bills et. the list goes on and on. For many it is not just a question of whether they can afford to pay, it is the principle of the whole thing. Even those who can well afford to pay this but refuse to do so are doing the right thing....why should people who have worked hard, paid their taxes, were not a burden on the state and done all this for their families, why should those people now have to pay a tax on their homes, all because of the mess the banks and governments have made of this country ? we are already screwed in every way, medicine, gp visits, petrol, gas, electricity, education costs, tv licences, motor tax, vrt, usc, prsi etc. etc. ....enough is enough.

Tax and stamp duty bloated the public coffers during the 'boom' years (boom years, what a joke!) , as a result public spending increased rapidly. All of that extra income is now gone with the banking crisis / housing bubble, the gov. are now left with the good old fashioned paye, prsi etc. to run the country, they have increased taxes by reducing cut off points, usc charge, vat increase etc. they can not go any further with this, they MUST reduce the public spend to what it was before the 'celtic tiger' kicked in...but i'm afraid they do not have the guts to do this, many have become accustomed to their lavish public sector pay, pensions and perks and the gov. are not willing to take on the unions or be seen to cut social welfare etc. We are overpayed and inefficient in this country, there is no accountability, if you make a balls of something in public office you can always just retire and enjoy your lovely pension, the tax payer will sort out the mess that's left behind !!!
    This lack of guts by the gov. to tackle the root causes of our massive deficit is the main reason why i am so angry with them and why i can see this country heading for disaster in the near future. Tackle the deficit and we are well on our way, ignore it, act too slowly or tackle it from the wrong angle and you risk screwing up the country big time.

And to be honest if the people around here argued the issue of affordability I'd have a lot more respect for them than the bullsh1t that went on for months on end.

I'm not paying cos it's my home, WAAAAAA
    I'm not paying cos the country bailed out the Banks, WAAAAA
    (and then the ring leaders are claiming expenses?!?!?!?!?! Assholes.

The consistent tone of this thread has been 'principle'. What a joke and about time people grew up. A hell of a lot of the 'I'm not paying it on principle...' group can afford it much more than a lot of people who did pay it.

Miserable gits believing somebody else should pay for them. Now the arguments are falling away. I presume sone other crap reason will be mooted.

Affordability can be measured. Lets get past 'principle'.

• Advertisement

Now you ve said it-It's a few hundred euro-type of money some people just don,t have.

They have it for the pub though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement