Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I predicted that a few days ago. It just goes to prove that they don't know who has or hasn't paid or how many there are.

It gets worse.
    Some of Phils big sacks caught on fire.
    Household charge office on fire

13:01, 29 June 2012 by Dick O'Brien

The office responsible for collecting the Household Charge have gone up in flames.

Eyewitnesses said the entire building on Dublin's Ormond Quay has been evacuated.

The fire began on the floor occupied by the section of the Local Government Management Agency responsible for collecting the Household Charge.

Several units of Dublin Fire Brigade are in attendance.

Flames have been seen coming from the office and firemen have broken several windows.
    http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Household+charge+office+on+fire/id/19410615-5218-4fed-9385-e1e2a3706442

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

surely there is a land registry, that they can refer to.....????

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

surely there is a land registry, that they can refer to.....????

Ah Jesus don't go there or people in Armagh and Fermanagh will be getting letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

They don't have a clue whose paid, or who owns what. Not a clue who to send letters to, or where to send them .

Not one iota, zero, nada.

Dv, bishop, Donal, etc, the current govt are incompetent, defending them repeatedly looks silly now.

They have consistently and continuously proven that they're not fit to run a chimps tea party. The sooner this farce gets scrapped the better!

You cannot defend the indefensible.

Ah Jesus don't go there or people in Armagh and Fermanagh will be getting letters.

cross border co-operation.....fantastic idea...

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    It gets worse.
    I can see it now...

"But! I posted it last week...maybe it's in that fire, you're after having! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mikom wrote: »
    It gets worse.

So thats why they all had to fcuk off over to Harvard University then???;):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Ghandee wrote: »
    They don't have a clue whose paid, or who owns what. Not a clue who to send letters to, or where to send them .

Not one iota, zero, nada.

Dv, bishop, Donal, etc, the current govt are incompetent, defending them repeatedly looks silly now.

They have consistently and continuously proven that they're not fit to run a chimps tea party. The sooner this farce gets scrapped the better!

You cannot defend the indefensible.

Em where have I ever defended them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

For everyone here who hasn't paid the household tax and has no intention either-they will be taking the dail holidays summer recess soon- court cases might prob happen late august/sometime in september- they might be on dail holidays doesn't mean we are on holidays also- I don't know how many on here are members or involved with local anti household tax groups in their areas-whats peoples thoughts when court cases start to happen- anyone in your area who might be a local fg or lab td groups should start to picket outside their homes in as big as numbers as possible- to put them under as much pressure as possible to scrap this tax and abandon any plans for any future property tax-anti household tax posters your thoughts on my suggestion ?

Am Chile wrote: »
    For everyone here who hasn't paid the household tax and has no intention either-they will be taking the dail holidays summer recess soon- court cases might prob happen late august/sometime in september- they might be on dail holidays doesn't mean we are on holidays also- I don't know how many on here are members or involved with local anti household tax groups in their areas-whats peoples thoughts when court cases start to happen- anyone in your area who might be a local fg or lab td groups should start to picket outside their homes in as big as numbers as possible- to put them under as much pressure as possible to scrap this tax and abandon any plans for any future property tax-anti household tax posters your thoughts on my suggestion ?

I haven't gone to any protests so far as i feel that to refuse to pay is protest enough. However if they jail anyone for non-payment then i would have no problem protesting outside their homes. If my home is not sacred then neither are their's.

• Advertisement

I haven't gone to any protests so far as i feel that to refuse to pay is protest enough. However if they jail anyone for non-payment then i would have no problem protesting outside their homes. If my home is not sacred then neither are their's.

Im in agreement if they jail anyone about picketing outside their homes-I wouldn't let get it as far putting pickets outside their homes if and when they might start jailing people-as soon as people are being brought to court Id think then is the time to start putting pickets outside their homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭RHarrow

I can't wait 'til the non-payers start getting punished.

Hopefully a few people being left with silent farts for life after a quick stint in the 'joy will have people paying their taxes like good citizens.

RHarrow wrote: »

Hopefully a few people being left with silent farts for life after a quick stint in the 'joy will have people paying their taxes like good citizens.

More drivel. More arrogance. F.G. to the core.

Being honest and straight up if I was to be jailed for not paying the household tax Id take it as a medal of honor for taking a stand be willing to go all way over it and Im sure there's others who would feel the same way.

My stance on the household charge doesn't really have anything to do with a particular party, does it?

It's more a case of realising that these charges and taxes have to be levied, along with cuts in expenditure, in order to get our books in order.

It's not 2007, FF aren't in power and we're not at a time where everyone can live basically tax free again. It's unfortunate that people who'll have paid tax when buying the house will now be paying tax on it again but that's FF's fault for spending every red cent that game through the door. It's a different time now, we're very low on money and unfortunately standardized things such as (effectively) rates have to be brought in, in line with most other developed countries, in order to get our tax intake up and the spending on service provision down.

Being honest and straight up if I was to be jailed for not paying the household tax Id take it as a medal of honor for taking a stand be willing to go all way over it and Im sure there's others who would feel the same way.
    If you're willing to go to prison over not paying a tax that most other countries have implemented then you're an idiot.

if it applied to all households, and wasn't just a property tax. would you pat it then ?

if it applied to all households, and wasn't just a property tax. would you pat it then ?

If the following was to be included with it-Id prob pay it then. see my post from the other night.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79585422&postcount=4040

If the following was to be included with it-Id prob pay it then. see my post from the other night.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79585422&postcount=4040

thanks for that, that would be like the uk council tax.....and it applies to all household that have a certain level of income.......

i agree to a certain extent, i believe a property tax is very unfair......

If you're willing to go to prison over not paying a tax that most other countries have implemented then you're an idiot.

Just because some other countries have a property tax doesn't mean its right for us to go the same way- some of these other countries that have a property tax aren't being asked to pay for some services separately like water bin collection like we are. plus you fail to mention property taxes can lead to evictions and foreclosure of family homes- hopefully this will never be Ireland in the future.

• Advertisement

this tax is an ill thought out move by a government who is desperately in need of advisor....

yes they need more taxes to balance the books.....but this is not the way.

this tax is an ill thought out move by a government who is desperately in need of advisor....

yes they need more taxes to balance the books.....but this is not the way.
    Let me guess, "tax de rich"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

They should hire one......... then breach the pay-cap to ensure he receives some big fuck-off wage.

BUT most other countries get services for their taxes. We won't. If they did what they do in N. Ireland and provide school buses, books, water, roads, bin collections etc for their 860 pounds then none of us would have any problems at all with it. They won't though because it's to pay bondholders, banks etc. Nothing at all to do with services. We pay private companies for our bins and if you saw the roads and street lighting where i live you would agree with me. We have been paying for non-existent services already and we know with these extras things will not improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

My stance on the household charge doesn't really have anything to do with a particular party, does it?

It's more a case of realising that these charges and taxes have to be levied, along with cuts in expenditure, in order to get our books in order.

It's not 2007, FF aren't in power and we're not at a time where everyone can live basically tax free again. It's unfortunate that people who'll have paid tax when buying the house will now be paying tax on it again but that's FF's fault for spending every red cent that game through the door. It's a different time now, we're very low on money and unfortunately standardized things such as (effectively) rates have to be brought in, in line with most other developed countries, in order to get our tax intake up and the spending on service provision down.

You say the country is low on money yet you see time after time the wreckless spending by the goverment, when that stops ill pay the hhc. Not only are they doing it but they are doing it so blatantly as if nothing is wrong.

We all realise that the country is in need of extra income, but not before they cut there spending, salaries, pensions, golden hand hakes and expenses to coincide with the economy of today that like you said is so different to the FF days of 2007.

Do you know what is one of the most effective ways to hurt the government legally?

Simple!

Stop working and don't buy anything that has VAT added to it!

You'll collapse the system within days!

Crazy! yes but it would work!

BUT most other countries get services for their taxes. We won't. If they did what they do in N. Ireland and provide school buses, books, water, roads, bin collections etc for their 860 pounds then none of us would have any problems at all with it. They won't though because it's to pay bondholders, banks etc. Nothing at all to do with services. We pay private companies for our bins and if you saw the roads and street lighting where i live you would agree with me. We have been paying for non-existent services already and we know with these extras things will not improve.

IM in agreement about the services in N Ireland if they were to apply I wouldn't take an issue paying rates them- if a rates type of tax system were to be applied with the same services as N Ireland- whats people thoughts on who should pay and who shouldn't pay- Il offer my own thoughts feel free to agree or disagree- one I think such a tax system should be linked to someones circumstances/ability and means to pay- I think one of the two options should be considered- excemptions should follow for people unemployed people/people on single parents allowance/people on disability allowance/ pensioners on low income/ people on mortgage Interest supplement/ or provide a discount up to certain % for people unemployed/ on low incomes- who should pay if a N Ireland rates system were to Implemented it shouldn't be just property owners who would avail of the services- council tenants should pay too' for those who in private rented accommodation my Id recommend tenant renting/tenants renting pay half/landlord pays half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Do you know absolutely anything about the 1916 rising and also the proclamation????

What did those people (my great grandfather is on the wall of rememberence in Arbour Hill) fight and die for????

Our right to exist independently and to choose for OURSELVES.

Now shut up with these idiotic "Phil,esque" outbursts and go back into that hole that you crawled out of.

The only idiot here is YOU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Plus to add Alan Shatter wants couples to sell of their engagement rings also.

http://www.herald.ie/news/debt-problem-sell-off-your-rings-shatter-3160663.html

Dont, worry the status quo since the foundation of the state of Fianna fail/fine gael won,t last forever.

Hi Everyone,

I've been away for a few days and am catching up on the many posts. I was really shocked when I got this far. I read the story in the herald and I just found it hard to believe that a minister, of all people, would come out with the suggestion that a woman should sell her engagement ring. I am lost for words, which is rare for me, apart from to say shame on him.

• Advertisement

Let me guess, "tax de rich"?

you certainly got me wrong......the "rich" in a recession are needed more that ever.....they must not be frightened away.....

no, i presume there are many ways of doing it....but a property tax is not the way.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement