Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

kr7 wrote: »
    Yup deadly serious.

Considering the severe over crowding I can't see jail time being viable but fines or community service or take away benifits, absolutely.

Do you think someone who won't pay a €100 or even a €1000 tax on the roof over their head will then just pay a hefty fine?

You haven't thought this through, have you?

Move on to reducing / cutting their benifits / community service or whatever other penalty you choose.

Bottom line is they can't just get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Where did I say that'll make the problems disappear?

It would be a start.

As would that annual property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Move on to reducing / cutting their benifits / community service or whatever other penalty you choose.

What benefits are you talking about?
    People who own their homes and are unemployed?
    Yea, sure take the few quid they have and then what?
    Let them be thrown out of their homes and then the local council can house them....

Put your shovel down and stop digging....

alastair wrote: »
    As would that annual property tax.

Reading through this thread, it seems to be a characteristic of the posters in favour of extra taxes, not to read or even acknowledge the other ways of raising money for the exchequer suggested by people against this tax.

Is that a state of mind of those in favour of a property tax?

What benefits are you talking about?
    People who own their homes and are unemployed?
    Yea, sure take the few quid they have and then what?
    Let them be thrown out of their homes and then the local council can house them....

Put your shovel down and stop digging....

You can't choose what tax to pay.

Nah don't like this not going to bother with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't like a Home Tax. Bought and paid for my home myself. Paid Stamp Duty and every other tax connected with decorating it, furnishing it, heating it etc etc.

Nah don't like this tax and not going to bother with it.

Reading through this thread, it seems to be a characteristic of the posters in favour of extra taxes, not to read or even acknowledge the other ways of raising money for the exchequer suggested by people against this tax.

Is that a state of mind of those in favour of a property tax?

I'm simply responding to the inferance you made that the removal of the, eh, 'gravy train' would solve all our problems - unlike the paltry contribution that the introduction of a property tax might -
    The problems in this country won't disappear if everyone pays €100 or even €1000 either.

Sort out the waste and the massive pay, pensions & perks that those driving the gravy train receive.

I don't like a Home Tax. Bought and paid for my home myself. Paid Stamp Duty and every other tax connected with decorating it, furnishing it, heating it etc etc.

I'm guessing you paid taxes when you bought your car too?

Oh wait...

I'm simply responding to the inferance you made that the removal of the, eh, 'gravy train' would solve all our problems - unlike the paltry contribution that the introduction of a property tax might -

Show me where I said that the 'removal of the gravy train would solve all our problems'.

Show me please, or stop misquoting / part posting my posts ok!

I'm guessing you paid taxes when you bought your car too?

Oh wait...

Yes and again my car uses the roads that my taxes pay, my house stays where it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Show me where I said that the 'removal of the gravy train would solve all our problems'.

Gravy train you say............ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056700153

You stay classy FG.

Great if that's the way it works I don't like income tax so I'm not paying that?!

Btw I'm in the same boat as you with negative equity etc to boot but I paid as between this and every other measure introduced reduced cut etc we might eventually get out of this mess. You elect a goverment to make decisons. We may not like them but that's life.

Great if that's the way it works I don't like income tax so I'm not paying that?!

Btw I'm in the same boat as you with negative equity etc to boot but I paid as between this and every other measure introduced reduced cut etc we might eventually get out of this mess. You elect a goverment to make decisons. We may not like them but that's life.

We elected a government on their promises made before the election.
    We didn't think we were just putting FF with a different name back in.

Show me please, or stop misquoting / part posting my posts ok!

That's your entire post there - here it is again for posterity:
    The problems in this country won't disappear if everyone pays €100 or even €1000 either.

Sort out the waste and the massive pay, pensions & perks that those driving the gravy train receive.

Yes and again my car uses the roads that my taxes pay, my house stays where it is.

There's no such thing as road tax. You pay motor tax - an ongoing tax on the car that you've already bought and paid for - taxes included.

mikom wrote: »
    Gravy train you say............ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056700153

You stay classy FG.

Very classy bit of work that one alright. More F.G. arrogance.

Funny how all their decisions seem to favour themselves. Like Reilly and Hogan's decisions on property and tax breaks.

There's no such thing as road tax. You pay motor tax - an ongoing tax on the car that you've already bought and paid for - taxes included.

Not paying that anymore either then.

We elected a government on their promises made before the election.
    We didn't think we were just putting FF with a different name back in.

Ah now seriously pull the other one. Anyone who didn't think we'd get FF v2 was severely deluded and if you believed pre election bull**** promises then your an even bigger fool. The only reason I and I would assume most of the country voted FG this time was to get FF out. They'd be in waaaaay too long. The problem is we have no alternative. What's worse is its only a matter if time before SF get a go and that's when you'll really see promises backed out of. It'll be pure comedy.

That's your entire post there - here it is again for posterity:

Are you having problems reading?

Where did I say it would sort out all our problems?

Just admit your mistake, apologise and we'll move on ok.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Not paying that anymore either then.

Best of luck with that.

I'd suggest you bone up on what taxes you do pay, and what they're for - nothing wrong with being informed.

Are you having problems reading?

Where did I say it would sort out all our problems?

Just admit your mistake, apologise and we'll move on ok.

Thank you.

I'm not the one with comprehension issues - you do understand what an inference is yes? And a misquote?

I'm not the one with comprehension issues - you do understand what an inference is yes? And a misquote?

If you took that out of what I said then I reckon its yourself who has comprehension issues.

Conversation over.

Next.........

If you took that out of what I said then I reckon its yourself who has comprehension issues.

Conversation over.

Next.........

Toddle on with your gravy train, 'misquote' boy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I dont like income tax. I got through the interview process and was subsequently made permanent in my job myself. I negotiated my current salary by myself with my manager. I pay VAT on just about every item I buy income and on my work clothes, tax on the petrol for my car getting to and from work, etc. etc.

Also, with regards to the comparison between what paying the rates in Northern Ireland get you against what the property tax in Ireland would do, it should also be beared in mind that Northern Ireland receives a subsidy in the region of (correct me if Im wrong) about £8B (around €10B) a year from the taxpayers in the UK mainland. Roughly a €6,000 subsidy for every man, woman and child in NI. Would rates still provide all those services people keep listing if the GB taxpayer wasnt there to bridge the deficit for NI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    DV, affordability should not enter the equation, it is not workable going down that road, besides it looks as if the govt. have decided on going a different route with this, fairness will not play any part in any system they decide to use because there is simply no fair system.
    Fairness is subjective. No matter what taxes are brought in or how they are structured, someone will think them unfair.
    Case in point - you think it unfair to ask a multi millionaire owner of a 7000 sq ft property to pay a property tax.
    This tax will never be fair.

Scrap it and increase income tax if revenue is needed.
    So raising income taxes is fairer than asking wealthy owners of 7000 sq ft properties to pay a property tax!
    Reduce welfare by the same percentage.
    I'm at a loss to understand why the % rate of welfare cuts would be the same as the % increase in income tax:confused:. That would leave welfare recipients comparatively much more disadvantaged.
    You're just pulling these proposals out of the air, aren't you?

dvpower wrote: »
    Fairness is subjective. No matter what taxes are brought in or how they are structured, someone will think them unfair.
    Case in point - you think it unfair to ask a multi millionaire owner of a 7000 sq ft property to pay a property tax.

So raising income taxes is fairer than asking wealthy owners of 7000 sq ft properties to pay a property tax!

I'm at a loss to understand why the % rate of welfare cuts would be the same as the % increase in income tax:confused:. That would leave welfare recipients comparatively much more disadvantaged.
    You're just pulling these proposals out of the air, aren't you?

Yes, yes I am. Well done you.

So, by my reckoning, a 5% reduction across the board in welfare payments would save €1 billion or thereabouts.

2011 income tax take was 13.798 billion.
    5% on this would equate to around €700 million.

That's a fair chunk of money right there.

Now take away the extra payments to the PS and that's another €500 million or so.

It's beginning to add up..

But no, no way, it'll never work.

We'll just keep screwing people who worked to own their home and aren't on a council housing list, getting RAS payments, getting rent allowance etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

No, it's road tax.

Here's a hint. You don't have to pay it if you don't use a vehicle on public roads (it's perfectly legal to own a car, never pay road tax, and only use it on your own property for instance).

Road tax. To pay for roads (ostensibly).

• Advertisement

No, it's road tax.

Here's a hint. You don't have to pay it if you don't use a vehicle on public roads (it's perfectly legal to own a car, never pay road tax, and only use it on your own property for instance).

Road tax. To pay for roads (ostensibly).

Here's another clue - there's no such thing as road tax. Motor tax isn't earmarked for roads, or any specific area of spending - no more than income tax, VAT etc. Motor tax is levied on your car, not the road, the car's impact on the road, or any other variable. A static car isn't a car anymore, but lawn furniture - which isn't liable to motor tax.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement