Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

gurramok wrote: »
    It will go towards narrowing the deficit. This and other taxes will help. Cost of living is related to how much we earn, if what we earn goes down, cost of living will follow. All relative.

so it will go towards the deficit....not better public services as you had claimed in your previous post....am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

maybe he lives i cuckoo land.......the household tax in ireland, which is not a household tax ..it is a property....having property is nothing to do with services......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    so it will go towards the deficit....not better public services as you had claimed in your previous post....am I correct?

Both. As more money flows in, it will help reduce the deficit and at the same time improve public services. Of course the financial monster that is the HSE will have to be streamlined as the Troika instructed, it would help public confidence by doing so.

havent paid, and wont until i get a bill, in writing, addressed to me at my house.

bring it on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Do you not see the obvious linkages between both of these things?
    maybe he lives i cuckoo land.......the household tax in ireland, which is not a household tax ..it is a property....having property is nothing to do with services......
    Who pays a tax is not necessarily the same people as who benefit from a tax. Taxes are all about redistribution.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    havent paid, and wont until i get a bill, in writing, addressed to me at my house.

bring it on...
    Truly a person of conviction.

• Advertisement

Both. As more money flows in, it will help reduce the deficit and at the same time improve public services. Of course the financial monster that is the HSE will have to be streamlined as the Troika instructed, it would help public confidence by doing so.

as more money flows in it will be spent wasted by our govt. and I can guarantee you here and now that public services will not improve one bit. The govt. are continuing to pay increments to ps workers running into hundreds of millions each year....an already overpaid and inefficient ps when compared to our European neighbours, and all the while we continue to OVERSPEND by €300m - €400m PER WEEK !

dvpower wrote: »

Who pays a tax is not necessarily the same people as who benefit from a tax. Taxes are all about redistribution.

Truly a person of conviction.

DV, sorry mate but your posts are terrible, you are not making any valid points, your comebacks are without substance....and not very sarcastic either...sorry:(

Lets say the curent deficit is €15b.
    Lets say all of the 2 1.6 million liable pay €1,000 a year.
    That would close the deficit to €13.4b.....yeah, ye are right lads ...we would be well on our way to break even, and to think, our public services would greatly improve also !
    Just out of curiosity, do any of you pro tax / hhc guys work in the dept. of finance?.....did you have anything to do with that €3.6b "accounting error" ?....if the answer is yes to any of those questions then please do us all a huge favour and retire on your lavish ps pensions asap....please:)

It will go towards narrowing the deficit. This and other taxes will help.
    DV, sorry mate but your posts are terrible, you are not making any valid points, your comebacks are without substance....and not very sarcastic either...sorry:(

I'll take that as a No then.:rolleyes:

Lets say the curent deficit is €15b.
    Lets say all of the 2 1.6 million liable pay €1,000 a year.
    That would close the deficit to €13.4b.....yeah, ye are right lads ...we would be well on our way to break even, and to think, our public services would greatly improve also !
    Just out of curiosity, do any of you pro tax / hhc guys work in the dept. of finance?.....did you have anything to do with that €3.6b "accounting error" ?....if the answer is yes to any of those questions then please do us all a huge favour and retire on your lavish ps pensions asap....please:)

still no answers...i'll take that as a yes then

• Advertisement

What's the obsession around here with where people work?

haven't you noticed...people are sick of the public service getting away with recession free salaries......

well with 30% or so of govt. spending going towards ps pay and pensions, I'd say us hard pressed private sector tax payers have every right to question what our employees are paid and are we getting good value for money from those employees...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Cost of living is related to how much we earn, if what we earn goes down, cost of living will follow. All relative.

you kidding me? after all the levies we pay on things we need, after the extra USC charge brought in, after he VAT increases, the double taxation on heating, petrol price going up, motor tax going up, now a hhc is trying to be brought in and after that a property tax, water rates....
    seems to me the cost of living is going in only one direction, i went to centra the other day and got 2 cartons of milk and a large slice pan and i didnt have enough with a fiver, mortified puttin a carton back. just because our wages arnt being cut doesnt mean we have the same amount to spend.

well with 30% or so of govt. spending going towards ps pay and pensions, I'd say us hard pressed private sector tax payers have every right to question what our employees are paid and are we getting good value for money from those employees...
    Meh. As a hard pressed private sector tax payer, I don't feel the need to whinge about it.

haven't you noticed...people are sick of the public service getting away with recession free salaries......
    Yeah, but what's that got to do with the posters on this thread?

Meh. As a hard pressed private sector tax payer, I don't feel the need to whinge about it.
    DV, is that your reply to the valid points I have made ?..."you don't feel the need to whige about it".....very childish mate, i think others on here have given up replying to you because of this attitude and your utterly meaningless replies.....and now I think I will do the same...good night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

donalg1 wrote: »
    So you want the little guy to pay for everything while giving the top earners a break? I wonder what your salary is :rolleyes:

You want to promote economic activity by cutting the salaries of the average worker by 10% and then telling them to pay €1,000 of a property tax. I cant honestly see how that would promote economic activity.

And as for the property tax of €1k how would you work that bearing in mind ability to pay and fairness too, especially when coupled with your slashing of wages of the average worker.

You wonder what my salary is? I'll tell you what it is. It's academic.

The point that I am making is that you need broad based moves to get this country stabilised. Slapping another 10% on the marginal rate of tax for people who earn 200k plus or even 100k plus, will end up in reduced revenue for the state. Just look at Cameron and what happened when he pursued that policy. Higher Earners have taken the brunt of the adjustment so far, and at least the dept of finance seem to be clever enough to realise they have reached the point of diminishing returns. I would add to that by saying that everytime you force one higher earner out of the country, the burden for all others becomes greater.

Consequently, the only option left is for broad based adjustments along the lines I have advocated in earlier posts. I acknowledge that accepting an adjustment in standards of living for the majority of Irish people is damn difficult, but it is our only hope. If we can get things stabilised (and if people co-operate voluntarily rather than maintaining the policies of resistance that have been so prevalent since this discussion started) there will be better times ahead for everybody relatively soon.

The longer people resist, the longer the pain goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

kr7 wrote: »
    From what I've read. alastair didn't pay his poll tax / council tax in the UK because he thought it was unfair.

Try again - I was quite clear that I paid my council taxes / rates. I didn't pay my poll tax.

Ehh?

The HHC goes 100% to funding local services - as will the upcoming property tax. In that respect it's the closest thing to UK rates you'll find.

• Advertisement

Who's disputing that?

Now - back to the actual issue at hand - property taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

alastair wrote: »
    Try again - I was quite clear that I paid my council taxes. I didn't pay my poll tax.

And I pay all my other taxes but I won't pay this one.

What's the difference between you and me?

And I pay all my other taxes but I won't pay this one.

What's the difference between you and me?

1. I'm not conning myself that I can avoid paying for local services through direct taxation.
    2. The poll tax had a clear moral argument against it, which property taxation does not.
    3. I wasn't hoping that I could slip through the net by not showing up on a database.
    4. I don't repeatedly claim I'm not engaging in discussion, and then continue that discussion.

1. I'm not conning myself that I can avoid paying for local services through direct taxation.
    2. The poll tax had a clear moral argument against it, which property taxation does not.
    3. I wasn't hoping that I could slip through the net by not showing up on a database.

You must have left your morals in england so.

I'll leave you to it.

You must have left your morals in england so.

I'll leave you to it.

You're quite the serial run-away, aren't you?

You say your private sector but you could be anyone.

It's the beauty of boards.......anonymity.

You could be phil hogan's secret boyfriend for all we know:D

Ehh?

The HHC goes 100% to funding local services - as will the upcoming property tax. In that respect it's the closest thing to UK rates you'll find.

not nearly close......households in the uk pay council tax.....not property owners....

rates in the uk....apply to business's

not nearly close......households in the uk pay council tax.....not property owners....

rates in the uk....apply to business's

Depends what part of the UK you're in:

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/rates

But nice try.

Depends what part of the UK you're in:

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/rates

But nice try.

90 percent part......like the main part.......nice try.....

the truth always wins.....

• Advertisement

90 percent part......like the main part.......nice try.....

the truth always wins.....

Run along now - you're just digging a deeper hole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement