Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

alastair wrote: »
    You'll continue to receive the regular range of local authority services. Have you a favourite you'd like me to namecheck?

No just one would be ok, I can decide then if I use it but someone in LA housing ( whose exempt from the charge) does'nt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

dvpower wrote: »
    Maybe not so soon, but eventually we would have gotten around to introducing a property tax again.

Do you not think it would have been better to wait until the country was back on it's feet?

All the uncertainty about this tax, water charges, septic tank charges, cuts and increases is crippling the local economy.

Nobody has the confidence to commit to anything with things the way they are, everyone is saving as much as they can and as a result the local economy is dead on it's feet.

We need to halt this decline because it's a vicious circle.

Ghandee wrote: »
    He's certainly not in negative equity I'd imagine.

I'd say he still lives with mammy and daddy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Do you have inside knowledge or something?

Yes, I have inside knowledge of publicly available information.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

No just one would be ok, I can decide then if I use it but someone in LA housing ( whose exempt from the charge) does'nt.

Library services.

But you're making the mistake of confusing a property tax that contributes to local authority services, with being the sole source of revenue for local authority services. Would you be happy with local authority services that are only available to wealthy tax payers - say making the library millionares-only on a Friday?

People in Local Authority housing pay taxes too.

• Advertisement

kr7 wrote: »
    Do you not think it would have been better to wait until the country was back on it's feet?

All the uncertainty about this tax, water charges, septic tank charges, cuts and increases is crippling the local economy.

Nobody has the confidence to commit to anything with things the way they are, everyone is saving as much as they can and as a result the local economy is dead on it's feet.

Spare me the burden of the septic tank charge nonsense - what is it - a one-off €15 or something?

People in LA housing don't use library services?
    That statement says a lot.

And once again in a reply to one of my posts, completely ignores the substantive point raised.

People in LA housing don't use library services?
    That statement says a lot.

What are you on about? :rolleyes:

And once again in a reply to one of my posts, completely ignores the substantive point raised.

There was substance in there? I thought it was comedy venting.

If the question really is 'should we raise taxation after it's needed', then, eh, no. Happy?

When people are blinded by anger and 'moral outrage' there's no point in trying to have a discussion. The minds are closed to any other way of thinking.

It's on both sides here and I can't see much point in really continuing but I'll plod on for another while.

It would be helpful if other ideas/thoughts were considered and not dismissed out of hand.

Maybe that's for another thread.....

• Advertisement

When people are blinded by anger and 'moral outrage' there's no point in trying to have a discussion. The minds are closed to any other way of thinking.

It's on both sides here and I can't see much point in really continuing but I'll plod on for another while.

It would be helpful if other ideas/thoughts were considered and not dismissed out of hand.

Maybe that's for another thread.....

I'm intrigued with your proposal for pixies to carry the welfare state overhead - can you elaborate?

To post 4750.

No country will tax it's way out of recession.

And I've told that poster already, I will not engage with him so stop asking me questions.

Thank you.

To post 4750.

No country will tax it's way out of recession.

Ah - but with the pixie contribution - everything changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

I got up at 6am this morning. Wasn't bad, bit cloudy. Poured myself a nice tall glass of water which I will soon be charged for. All is good with the world I thought. Even went for a jog. Fantastic stuff.

I felt unusually easy, stress free if you will. I pondered why and of course I realised pretty quickly why...I haven't paid the household charge, the lolz I got from that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Its part of the plan to get the country back on its feet. It was mandated by the trioka.
    We need a sustainable tax base.

I felt unusually easy, stress free if you will. I pondered why and of course I realised pretty quickly why...I haven't paid the household charge, the lolz I got from that. :pac:

Heh. That feeling might get a bit deflated when the day come's round you have to pay that bit more for the delay in payment. Or maybe you'll feel great that day too - who knows?

dvpower wrote: »
    Its part of the plan to get the country back on its feet. It was mandated by the trioka.

We need a sustainable tax base.

If the unemployment rate continues rising as it is and the local economy can't reverse it's decline, we will never have a sustainable tax base.

Heh. That feeling might get a bit deflated when the day come's round you have to pay that bit more for the delay in payment. Or maybe you'll feel great that day too - who knows?

The lolz when I thought of that too but I realised I'll never actually have to pay since I didn't sign up for it :pac: Life's great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

If the unemployment rate continues rising as it is and the local economy can't reverse it's decline, we will never have a sustainable tax base.
    So lets shift the taxation burden onto areas that don't impact job creation as much as Income Tax does.

The lolz when I thought of that too but I realised I'll never actually have to pay since I didn't sign up for it :pac: Life's great

Did you sign up for the USC then?

• Advertisement

Did you sign up for the USC then?

Do you know the difference between a tax and a charge then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

So to sum it all up, only home owners have to cough up extra money to pay for everyone to use the services.

Do you know the difference between a tax and a charge then?

There's none - HHC, USC - both taxes, despite the 'C's.

Hijpo wrote: »
    So to sum it all up, only home owners have to cough up extra money to pay for everyone to use the services.

Just as only car owners have to cough up extra money to pay for everyone to use state services.

It's terrible, isn't it?

There's none - HHC, USC - both taxes, despite the 'C's.

I don't really have time for this but...

"The Universal Social Charge is a tax payable on gross income, including notional pay, after any relief for certain capital allowances, but before pension contributions."

from http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/usc/index.html

and

"The Household Charge is an annual charge introduced by the Local Government (Household Charge) Act 2011 which is payable by owners of residential property. It is a matter for owners of residential properties to register and pay the Household Charge on or after the 1st of January 2012."

from https://www.householdcharge.ie/default.aspx

Thanks for your time.

I don't really have time for this but...

"The Universal Social Charge is a tax payable on gross income, including notional pay, after any relief for certain capital allowances, but before pension contributions."

from http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/usc/index.html

and

"The Household Charge is an annual charge introduced by the Local Government (Household Charge) Act 2011 which is payable by owners of residential property. It is a matter for owners of residential properties to register and pay the Household Charge on or after the 1st of January 2012."

from https://www.householdcharge.ie/default.aspx

Thanks for your time.

Yep - as I said - both are taxes.

I'm guessing you didn't sign up to pay your USC then?

Yep - as I said - both are taxes.

Where exactly does it say that the HHC is a tax....:confused:

Where exactly does it say that the HHC is a tax....:confused:

On the page you linked to. https://www.householdcharge.ie/default.aspx

What? You didn't read it?

A property tax, requiring a comprehensive property valuation system, would take time to introduce and accordingly
    , to meet the requirements in the EU/IMF Programme, the Government has decided to introduce a Household Charge in 2012.The Household Charge is an interim measure only and a comprehensive and equitable valuation-based property tax will be introduced as soon as possible.

You mean this? The tax that has not been introduced yet. Oh right :D

• Advertisement

A property tax, requiring a comprehensive property valuation system, would take time to introduce and accordingly
    , to meet the requirements in the EU/IMF Programme, the Government has decided to introduce a Household Charge in 2012.The Household Charge is an interim measure only and a comprehensive and equitable valuation-based property tax will be introduced as soon as possible.

You mean this? The tax that has not been introduced yet. Oh right :D

Nope - the interim tax that they were obliged to introduce while they ironed out the details of a fully fledged version.
    The EU/IMF Programme of Financial Support for Ireland commits the Government to the introduction of a property tax for 2012.

Note that the government is in full compliance with the programme - the troika said as much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement