Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

alastair wrote: »
    Nope - the interim tax that they were obliged to introduce while they ironed out the details of a fully fledged version.

"The Household Charge is an interim measure only"

Go again :pac:

Note that the government is in full compliance with the programme - the troika said as much.

The government are great boys aren't they. I heard they get top marks on their report cards and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

"The Household Charge is an interim measure only"

Sure - an interim tax. That we were obliged to introduce.

Sure - an interim tax. That we were obliged to introduce.

It clearly says "interim measure".

It clearly says "interim measure".

You want clarity?:
    The EU/IMF Programme of Financial Support for Ireland commits the Government to the introduction of a property tax for 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Library services.

But you're making the mistake of confusing a property tax that contributes to local authority services, with being the sole source of revenue for local authority services. Would you be happy with local authority services that are only available to wealthy tax payers - say making the library millionares-only on a Friday?

People in Local Authority housing pay taxes too.

That's not what I asked for.

I asked for a service I use that someone in an LA provided house doesn't use.

(incidentally I haven't used a library in over twenty years)

• Advertisement

You want clarity?:

"The EU/IMF Programme of Financial Support for Ireland commits the Government to the introduction of a property tax for 2012."

They sure do, now where exactly does it say that good boys in the government have done this? :pac:

Ghandee wrote: »

Well - you should get back in there.

No - there's no local authority services available to you that aren't available to people living in local authority housing. You do recognise that they pay taxes too, yep?

"The EU/IMF Programme of Financial Support for Ireland commits the Government to the introduction of a property tax for 2012."

They sure do, now where exactly does it say that good boys in the government have done this? :pac:

The troika have said that we're in full compliance with the terms of the programme - you don't believe them, as well as your own government?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is there any practical difference at all on whether it is labelled a tax or a charge?

The troika have said that we're in full compliance with the terms of the programme - you don't believe them, as well as your own government?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Is there any practical difference at all on whether it is labelled a tax or a charge?

Nope - see the USC for example. Both taxes, but called charges.

The word 'charge' offers tax evaders the opportunity to delude themselves there's a possible loophole they can take advantage of to avoid paying the tax. It's kinda like the sort of nonsense 'Freemen' apply to various laws - and just as effective.

Nope - see the USC for example. Both taxes, but called charges.

The word 'charge' offers tax evaders the opportunity to delude themselves there's a possible loophole they can take advantage of to avoid paying the tax. It's kinda like a watery version of the sort of nonsense 'Freemen' apply to various laws - and just as effective.

It's there in black & white for you anyway but you can choose to ignore it if you want. HHC is a charge, an interim measure until the introduction of a property tax.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

But is there any real practical difference between the two, other than the name?

It's there in black & white.

It sure is.
    The EU/IMF Programme of Financial Support for Ireland commits the Government to the introduction of a property tax for 2012.

But is there any real practical difference between the two, other than the name?

No. Unless you love red herrings. Taxes, charges, levies, rates - they're all terms the state and local government uses for mechanisms to generate revenue. None of these involve voluntary opt-in's or a requirement to sign up - unsurprisingly.

I'd say there's a difference between a charge and a tax alright. Sure UPC have a charge but I've never signed up for it and I don't avail of their service...haven't gone to jail over it yet.

I'd say there's a difference between a charge and a tax alright. Sure UPC have a charge but I've never signed up for it and I don't avail of their service...haven't gone to jail over it yet.

That works a treat for TV licence summons cases in front of the judge. I'd say it'll be equally successful here. :p

That works a treat for TV licence summons cases in front of the judge. I'd say it'll be equally successful here. :p

They've heard all the excuses before but I bet they haven't heard that one. :pac:

You mean the television company?

You mean the television company?

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Is there a legal obligation to pay anything to UPC?

OK.... So you're saying the difference between a tax and a charge is that private companies like UPC have a charge and because you're not a subscriber you don't have to pay that charge. Therefore you shouldn't have to pay the household charge?

Valetta wrote: »

He's just winding you up.

Is there a legal obligation to pay HHC?

Yep.

Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Ghandee wrote: »

Well - you should get back in there.

No - there's no local authority services available to you that aren't available to people living in local authority housing. You do recognise that they pay taxes too, yep?

are other taxes used to pay for local services? if yes then we will be paying twice for the servces. if not then they dont pay the hhc or property tax therefor they dont contribute to the funding for the services.

Of course.

Have any cases been brought before a court?

Hijpo wrote: »
    are other taxes used to pay for local services? if yes then we will be paying twice for the servces. if not then they dont pay the hhc or property tax therefor they dont contribute to the funding for the services.

Other taxes pay for additional revenue to support local authority spending. No-one's paying twice.

• Advertisement

Have any cases been brought before a court?

Not relevant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement