Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Go for it so.

If I had the choice between a modest salary and owning my own home, and unemployment and local authority housing, I know what I'd pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

kr7 wrote: »
    Personally, I try not to be a burden on the state.

But according to some on this thread, because I refuse to pay this immoral charge on my family home, I'm classed as a tax defaulter and a freeloader.

Maybe your right, I should sell my family home, screw the banks, declare myself bankrupt and apply for a council house and the dole.

Quid's in!

yes, you should do that.....you would get more respect.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

What amazes me is the bend over and ram it up my hole attitude a lot of people have, some don't even know for certain what they're paying others don't seem to mind paying for the same thing over and over or they don't seem to care about the squandering of funds, just take my money please so goes the gospel according to hogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

dvpower wrote: »
    So you think they should be made to pay income tax?

Edit: Alistair is correct - unemployment benefits are taxable.

Jobseekers benefit isn't though.
    Why did you leave that out of your quote?

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=is%20jobseekers%20allowance%20taxable&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CFgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.revenue.ie%2Fen%2Ftax%2Fit%2Fleaflets%2Fit24.html&ei=ZqMFUL25M4XDhAeOz6nTBw&usg=AFQjCNFBuYxahDR6trDq1J0oogFAqMuYUg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

What amazes me is the bend over and ram it up my hole attitude a lot of people have, some don't even know for certain what they're paying others don't seem to mind paying for the same thing over and over or they don't seem to care about the squandering of funds, just take my money please so goes the gospel according to hogan.

Well - I'm not the one opting to bend over and pay big Phil a bonus penalty on my HHC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

alastair wrote: »
    Well - I'm not the one opting to bend over and pay big Phil a bonus penalty on my HHC.

Oh god, lol.

yes, you should do that.....you would get more respect.....

And cash, and a medical card, and clothing allowance and a house for €30 or €40 a week etc etc.

We should respect the underclasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Jobseekers Benefit is taxable
    Jobseekers Benefit (formerly known as Unemployment Benefit) is a taxable source of income. However the child dependant element and the first €13 per week of benefit are exempt from tax.

Jobseeksers allowance isn't.

Job seekers benefit is liable to income tax.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it24.html

Maybe you meant short-term worker's Job seekers benefit - where their other income is taxed?

Nice.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    Jobseekers Benefit is taxable

Jobseeksers allowance isn't.

Out of interest, how much income tax would you reckon the average long term dole recipient with three kids in his subsidised LA house pays a year?

Just to clarify for yer man alastair, I was referring to people on the dole who've never worked a day in their lives and suck the state dry for as long as they've drawn breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

And cash, and a medical card, and clothing allowance and a house for €30 or €40 a week etc etc.

you should rerspect everybody.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Out of interest, how much income tax would you reckon the average long term dole recipient with three kids in his subsidised LA house pays a year?
    A long term dole recipient would be on non taxable Jobseekers Allowance, so they wouldn't pay any Income tax if it was their only income.

Jobseekers Allowance is means tested, so it makes no sense to tax it - it would just need to be increased to allow for the reduced means due to the tax.

proportionally - about the same as a household with an income of 40K.

http://www.ronanlyons.com/2012/04/10/paying-tax-in-ireland-where-the-richest-and-poorest-pay/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Who's better off? The man with one house or the man with no house?

I would think many out there would prefer to have no home ownership, than the position they are in now, due to owning one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Ghandee wrote: »
    The real property tax introduction is when the real trouble will arise.

How many of the pensioners, low earners etc that were scared into paying this years hundred euro sign up and be shafted fee will stand up next year and say they will refuse/cant afford ro pay the reported/suggested 700 next year?

JNext year is when the real fun will begin.......

Yes. It will be the same as an additional Eur50 a month (or Eur12.50 a week) adjustment to their Social Welfare entitlement or Personal Tax Credit.

If that's all they have to worry about, they're lucky (But in reality it's only the start of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,766 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did anyone get a reminder letter yet?
    Don't know of anyone who did.
    I hear Reilly's mansion in Offaly is exempt too. Why should anyone pay if he's not?
    Still not paying it myself anyway.

I hear Reilly's mansion in Offaly is exempt too. Why should anyone pay if he's not?

It's not - but why bring it up if you're evading your tax regardless?

Did anyone get a reminder letter yet?
    Don't know of anyone who did.

Everyone I know paid the charge when it fell due, so unlikely I will know anyone who will receive such a letter.

Everyone I know paid the charge when it fell due, so unlikely I will know anyone who will receive such a letter.

That's amazing 'cos I don't know anyone who paid.

• Advertisement

I suppose it's about who you hang out with!

My buddies have ambition and will want to trade up to better houses in due course. They won't want an accrued liability with associated interest and penalties sitting as an encumbrance on their sale proceeds. They need to be ready to execute close to the bottom of the market (especially after the full property tax has been introduced).

It's not - but why bring it up if you're evading your tax regardless?

Well if he's getting tax-breaks with the help of his friends in politics to maintain his property then it's reasonable to assume that he's also getting this free too.
    They look after each other you know. Didn't Fingers look after his buddy Hogan too. Two interest only loans with very little paperwork. There was me wondering why Fingers was not repaying the million he promises to put back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

i doubt bishop knows many people, they probaby avoid him like the plague judging by his character on here.

havent got a reminder meself. fact of the matter is, people in LA housing are reaping more than they sow.

Hijpo wrote: »
    i doubt bishop knows many people, they probaby avoid him like the plague judging by his character on here.

havent got a reminder meself. fact of the matter is, people in LA housing are reaping more than they sow.

:D:D:D:D

I've been accused of trolling, of being a tax defaulter and now of being a loner in the last few days - All because I advocate compliance with the law to help deal with 1% of the deficit problem of this country!!

I think the Don't Register; Don't Pay campaign are struggling!!!! Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I suppose it's about who you hang out with!
    Something like this is it? "No, you cant be my buddy, you didnt pay your hhc"
    Or is it that you just go where all the big knobs hang out?
    My buddies have ambition and will want to trade up to better houses in due course. They won't want an accrued liability with associated interest and penalties sitting as an encumbrance on their sale proceeds. They need to be ready to execute close to the bottom of the market (especially after the full property tax has been introduced).

Sounds like made up stuff there.

Will their own houses they are all intending selling, be at some advantage compared to the ones they are buying, in terms of being at the bottom of their market value?

:D:D:D:D

I've been accused of trolling, of being a tax defaulter and now of being a loner in the last few days - All because I advocate compliance with the law to help deal with 1% of the deficit problem of this country!!

I think the Don't Register; Don't Pay campaign are struggling!!!! Love it.

Well i'm not struggling at all and neither are my buddies. We are all quite comfortable and happy thank you. Not complying with unjust, unfair and immoral taxes which would only be handed to bondholders and bankers makes us very happy indeed.

You're classed as a tax evader, because you're evading paying your taxes. It's not a subjective issue.

Is that what you were classed as in England?

Well if he's getting tax-breaks with the help of his friends in politics to maintain his property then it's reasonable to assume that he's also getting this free too.
    They look after each other you know. Didn't Fingers look after his buddy Hogan too. Two interest only loans with very little paperwork. There was me wondering why Fingers was not repaying the million he promises to put back too.

Or, to cut to the chase - the house is liable.

Is that what you were classed as in England?

Yep. I didn't wriggle and whinge about it though.

• Advertisement

proportionally - about the same as a household with an earned income of 40K.

http://www.ronanlyons.com/2012/04/10/paying-tax-in-ireland-where-the-richest-and-poorest-pay/

FYP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement