Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

10000 have registered and presumably paid since the letters were sent out. That amounts to an extra €140,000 paid over by people who could have kept that money for themselves by paying on time. The target set by the government was €161 million equating to 1.61 million properties not 1.61 million people. They already knew that people with two properties or more had paid the NPPR for 339,000 of these in 2011.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0719/1224320381158.html

It was reported a few weeks ago landlord and people with second properties would be targeted first-its understandable and a bit easy for landlords to register now-afterall they will just up the rent on their tenants to cover the household tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Am Chile wrote: »

A shameful attack on free speech and further proof the goverment are losing when they have to resort restricting free speech for views they don't agree with-whenever this girl may be brought to court for defending free speech I hope the wicklow campaign respond by putting pickets outside councilers homes that support this attack on free speech.

http://www.facebook.com/wicklownohouseholdtax

FG/Lab are currently in plans to start manufacturing badges that must be worn by all members of the public, and at all times, to help identify payers against non payers of the HHC.

A blue house, complete a roof should be worn by all who complied.

A green house without a roof must be worn by all who have failed to comply.

Read this post carefully as i will write it only once

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    my reply....
    I wanted you to answer yes or no !

Ah well - You'll just have to cope.

..... tax is NOT higher in UK than here, the tax bands are wider in the UK.....

Taxation is higher in the UK than here - refer to any ranking of EU taxation and you'll see it's true. The tax bands are wider in the UK, but the tax credits are lower, higher PRSI/National Insurance, and then you need to account for Council taxes.
    a second hand car has the vrt costs already 'built in'.....

We've got the cheapest secondhand car prices in Europe. Seriously good bargains to be had.

I will vote for political change but I feel this country needs a lot more fundamental changes than just a change of government......

When you become dictator that'll mean something, otherwise you'll have to utiise the democratic process like the rest of us.
    I haven't avoiding paying my taxes, I just didn't pay my household charge, it's not a tax until next year :

You're a tax evader. Plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Under 400 ? up a 1000 was there-our media playing down numbers at protests once again
    Well - I suppose I did predict that the Irish Times estimates would be rubbished by the conspiracy nuts.
    Also its a bit easy for certain town councils to ban posters advertising the protest march-doubt the same council banned yes campaign posters for the recent referendum or youth defence billboards.

The CAHWT could have bought billboard space and advertised if they wanted to, but they wanted to use, for free, council provided lampposts to encourage people not to pay towards the same lampposts.

It seems that the shortfall is going to result in cuts to council subventions this year, for anyone who doubted that the money was ringfenced for local services.
    rte wrote:
    Local authorities will receive a reduction of between 5% and 15% in their
    expected third quarter payment.

In a statement, the department said that the final quarter payment will be
    revisited in light of the Household Charge compliance level at that time.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0719/local-authorities-household-charge.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

**** ATTENTION ALL PRO HHC / PROP. TAX POSTERS *****

ie. DV, ALASTAIR, DOESNOTCOMPUTE, SOULGUY, VLADAMIR and a few others.
    please answer the following questions YES or NO.... just list 1 - 10 and your answer , hope that is not too confusing ......this is my second time posting them !

1. are Irish politicians / public sector workers paid more than in the UK ?
    2. are Irish public sector pensions higher than those in the UK ?
    3. do Irish workers pay higher rates of tax than those in the UK ?
    4. is the general cost of living in Ireland higher than in the UK ?
    5. is the VAT rate in Ireland higher than the UK ?
    6. are public services in UK better than in Ireland ?
    7. are childcare costs in Ireland higher than in the UK ?
    8. is VRT applied to cars in the UK ?
    9. are welfare payments, rent allowances etc. higher in Ireland than in the UK ?
    10. do you think there is more political / public accountability in the UK than Ireland?

I am making these comparisons just to highlight how much we are being totally and utterly screwed in this banana republic, we are getting the sh*t end of the stick in every way in this country, as I have said, if we had all or even just some of what they have in UK in this country, eg. lower cost of living, then maybe many more would pay this tax...but not when we are getting f*cked from every angle ....considering the above list I think the government need their f*cking heads examined if they think they can impose further taxes and charges on people..... do they think we will all just bend over and take it because we have ' a deal with the troika' ?...or because other countries have a property tax so we must ?.....bullsh*t I say.

ALASTAIR, you sort of replied with the following ...
    "You do know that you aren't obliged to get involved with VRT at all? You can buy a car from an Irish dealer, or just buy second-hand?

You might also consider that taxes are higher in the UK than here, and that council taxes are generally higher than the mooted property tax bands that we'll be getting soon enough.

Finally - if you don't like the levels of pay, pensions, welfare, etc applicable in this state - then vote for a candidate that intends to change them - that's what representational democracy is about. Avoiding paying your taxes isn't the mechanism for broad brushstroke societal whinging."

my reply....
    I wanted you to answer yes or no ! ..... tax is NOT higher in UK than here, the tax bands are wider in the UK.....if we had the same cost of living as in the UK we could all easily pay the property tax, what I could save with a lower cost of living would probably pay any property tax many times over...you have to pay VRT if you buy a new car, a second hand car has the vrt costs already 'built in'.....I will vote for political change but I feel this country needs a lot more fundamental changes than just a change of government...... I haven't avoiding paying my taxes, I just didn't pay my household charge, it's not a tax until next year :)....there you go saying 'whinging' again, grow up mate, is that the best you can counteract my queries with ????

Sounds to me like someone wants to live in the UK.

I have forgotten by now what the aim of the cahwt is, I thought originally it was to have the HHC scrapped can anyone tell me how they got on with this? Has it been scrapped yet?

When and where was the last protest? And how many bothered turning up to it?

Looking to the future what is the revised aim of the cahwt?

Seems to me the aim of the cahwt was and is to actually collect more money for the Govt a sort of shadowy Govt campaign if you will, "Dont pay the HHC now wait a few months and pay more, that way the Govt will take more money in from this charge than they could have hoped for".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

dvpower wrote: »
    Democracy and the rule of law?

Threatening old people in their homes.

I hope your never old.

kr7 wrote: »

I hope your never old.

Thats a bit harsh now,

If they paid their taxes they wouldnt have to worry about any possible legal action. And its not just old people either that they will go after it will be everyone that hasnt paid, which I am guessing the majoirty of whom arent that old as the elderly tend to pay their bills as they dont like owing anyone anything.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh now,

If they paid their taxes they wouldnt have to worry about any possible legal action. And its not just old people either that they will go after it will be everyone that hasnt paid, which I am guessing the majoirty of whom arent that old as the elderly tend to pay their bills as they dont like owing anyone anything.

Not harsh at all.

Our country could do without people with that kind of attitude.

Putting fear and threatening the elderly people in our society is wrong on so many levels.

But that what the pro taxers want to do, attack the vulnerable in the country because their the easiest targets.

dv should be very proud of that, but then again I suspect he is.

I'm beginning to wish I didn't vote against FF in the last election.

Feel free to report that post if it upsets you.

• Advertisement

Not harsh at all.

Our country could do without people with that kind of attitude.

Putting fear and threatening the elderly people in our society is wrong on so many levels.

But that what the pro taxers want to do, attack the vulnerable in the country because their the easiest targets.

dv should be very proud of that, but then again I suspect he is.

I'm beginning to wish I didn't vote against FF in the last election.

Feel free to report that post if it upsets you.

Well hoping someone doesnt grow old is far worse than saying those who dont pay their taxes should be pursued for evading said taxes.

Its very straight forward, people were told to pay this charge and are aware of the consequences for not doing so. Using age as an excuse to avoid the consequences isnt exactly a strong argument.

Are you saying that only those under a certain age should be held accountable for tax evasion?

Well hoping someone doesnt grow old is far worse than saying those who dont pay their taxes should be pursued for evading said taxes.

Its very straight forward, people were told to pay this charge and are aware of the consequences for not doing so. Using age as an excuse to avoid the consequences isnt exactly a strong argument.

Are you saying that only those under a certain age should be held accountable for tax evasion?

NO.

I'm saying that anyone that agrees with threatening the oldest and most vunerable in our society has a sick mind and does not deserve to live in this country.
    People with that kind of attitude we could do without.

dv could do with learning how to have a bit of respect.

NO.

I'm saying that anyone that agrees with threatening the oldest and most vunerable in our society has a sick mind and does not deserve to live in this country.
    People with that kind of attitude we could do without.

dv could do with learning how to have a bit of respect.

Fair enough, obviously threatening someone is not a good idea or a good attitude and condoning this behaviour is just as bad.

However, if someone doesnt pay their taxes they should be aware of the consequences for not doing so and cant complain when asked to face those consequences.

Complete straw man argument in any case.

Who exactly has been threatening the elderly with anything? The HHC leaflets went out to all ages, and there was sod all threatening about them.

I hope your never old.
    Ouch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I hope your never old.

What possible reason could there be for the elderly to be exempt from prosecution for breaking the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

alastair wrote: »
    Complete straw man argument in any case.

Who exactly has been threatening the elderly with anything? The HHC leaflets went out to all ages, and there was sod all threatening about them.

The elderly were the first to toddle off to the Post Office & pay this charge,I know this first hand as they were afraid they'd have their names in the papers like tax defaulters.There was enough fear instilled into them to force them to comply & pay while many didn't even know what the charge was for or who it actually is going to benefit.

zerks wrote: »
    The elderly were the first to toddle off to the Post Office & pay this charge,I know this first hand as they were afraid they'd have their names in the papers like tax defaulters.There was enough fear instilled into them to force them to comply & pay while many didn't even know what the charge was for or who it actually is going to benefit.

Again:
    Who exactly has been threatening the elderly with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

**** ATTENTION ALL PRO HHC / PROP. TAX POSTERS *****

TL,DR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

TL,DR

sorry guys, I speak english....what is tl , dr all about ?....enough of the phone text lingo please...:)

• Advertisement

sorry guys, I speak english....what is tl , dr all about ?....enough of the phone text lingo please...:)

It means too long, didn't read

Sounds to me like someone wants to live in the UK.

sounds to me that some don't want to respond to my posts....remember just answer YES or NO...thank you
    where I want to live is irrelevant to the discussion.

It means too long, didn't read

thanks donal, did not know that, in fairness though it would only take about a minute to read....

sounds to me that some don't want to respond to my posts....remember just answer YES or NO...thank you
    where I want to live is irrelevant to the discussion.

Honestly I read the first two sentences and didnt go any further, scanned down through it and saw alot if references to the UK so gave up then.

Ah well - You'll just have to cope.

Taxation is higher in the UK than here - refer to any ranking of EU taxation and you'll see it's true. The tax bands are wider in the UK, but the tax credits are lower, higher PRSI/National Insurance, and then you need to account for Council taxes.

We've got the cheapest secondhand car prices in Europe. Seriously good bargains to be had.

When you become dictator that'll mean something, otherwise you'll have to utiise the democratic process like the rest of us.

You're a tax evader. Plain and simple.

Alastair, take a look at the following and tell me if you still think those in the UK pay more tax than us here.
    http://www.agn-europe.org/servlet/p_rec_select

also, I did not know you were involved in the motor trade, when you say great bargains to be had I think what you mean is that second hand cars are a little cheaper than the normal rip off prices in Ireland.

'when i become dictator'...you mean when I replace the current dictator ?

I am not a tax evader, I did not pay a household charge...next year it will be a tax...i will be a tax evader NEXT YEAR:)

Alastair, take a look at the following and tell me if you still think those in the UK pay more tax than us here.
    http://www.agn-europe.org/servlet/p_rec_select]

I didn't realise that VAT was the sole measure of total taxation applied. :rolleyes:
    also, I did not know you were involved in the motor trade, when you say great bargains to be had I think what you mean is that second hand cars are a little cheaper than the normal rip off prices in Ireland.]

Nope - secondhand car prices here are cheaper than anywhere in europe.
    'when i become dictator'...you mean when I replace the current dictator ?]

Let me check if we live in a dictatorship...

Nope.
    I am not a tax evader, I did not pay a household charge...next year it will be a tax...i will be a tax evader NEXT YEAR:)

You're currently a tax evader. I don't doubt you'll have paid up by next year - so you probably won't be one then.

ALASTAIR, this is aimed specifically at you...
    are you going to answer YES or NO to each of these ?...your failure / refusal to do so will speak volumes in itself...and I will keep posting it until you do !!
    If you want I could debate the finer points of each, no problem.
    Be grateful, I could easily add many more to the list to highlight how Irish tax payers are ripped off in every way by our wasteful government, but for the moment I will leave it at just these...

9. are welfare payments, rent allowances etc. higher in Ireland than in the UK ?
    10. do you think there is more political / public accountability in the UK than Ireland?

we are all eagerly awaiting your replies...:D:D:D

are you going to answer YES or NO to each of these ?

no.

no.

can I ask why not ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

are you going to answer YES or NO to each of these ?...your failure / refusal to do so will speak volumes in itself...and I will keep posting it until you do !!
    If you want I could debate the finer points of each, no problem.
    Be grateful, I could easily add many more to the list to highlight how Irish tax payers are ripped off in every way by our wasteful government, but for the moment I will leave it at just these...

we are all eagerly awaiting your replies...:D:D:D

i don't get what the uk has to do with paying tax in ireland......

a completely different ball game.....the uk has not even started on it's efforts to reduce the countries debt......so comparisons are irrevelent.....at this time......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement