Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    can I ask why not ?

Because it has sod all to do with whether you should pay your taxes or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

i don't get what the uk has to do with paying tax in ireland......

a completely different ball game.....the uk has not even started on it's efforts to reduce the countries debt......so comparisons are irrevelent.....at this time......

But in the UK they do this and that so maybe we should too, even if it is done in completely different circumstances over there we should just do it too because in the UK thats what they do!!;)

ALASTAIR, this is aimed specifically at you...
    are you going to answer YES or NO to each of these ?...your failure / refusal to do so will speak volumes in itself...and I will keep posting it until you do !!
    If you want I could debate the finer points of each, no problem.
    Be grateful, I could easily add many more to the list to highlight how Irish tax payers are ripped off in every way by our wasteful government, but for the moment I will leave it at just these...

1. are Irish politicians / public sector workers paid more than in the UK ?
    2. are Irish public sector pensions higher than those in the UK ?
    3. do Irish workers pay higher rates of tax than those in the UK ?
    4. is the general cost of living in Ireland higher than in the UK ?
    5. is the VAT rate in Ireland higher than the UK ?
    6. are public services in UK better than in Ireland ?
    7. are childcare costs in Ireland higher than in the UK ?
    8. is VRT applied to cars in the UK ?
    9. are welfare payments, rent allowances etc. higher in Ireland than in the UK ?
    10. do you think there is more political / public accountability in the UK than Ireland?

we are all eagerly awaiting your replies...:D:D:D

I'm not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

donalg1 wrote: »
    But in the UK they do this and that so maybe we should too, even if it is done in completely different circumstances over there we should just do it too because in the UK thats what they do!!;)

But Donal, one of your arguments was that property tax systems worked in almost every other country in the world.

What's the problem with comparing here with there so?

On my phone, can't be bothered to trawl through posts, but I will if I have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Ghandee wrote: »
    But Donal, one of your arguments was that property tax systems worked in almost every other country in the world.

All the pro taxers do is compare the bit that suits their agenda, what people pay in the UK.

They don't want to compare the level of service because it blows their argument all the way out of the water.

Nothing new, nothing changes with these people, you know the old expression about a fool and their money being easily parted!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

For anybody looking for overall tax levels across the EU, here is the most recent data from Eurostat:

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_OFFPUB/KS-SF-12-002/EN/KS-SF-12-002-EN.PDF

This is data on overall Govt finances:

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_OFFPUB/KS-SF-12-027/EN/KS-SF-12-027-EN.PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 20,966 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

kr7 wrote: »
    All the pro taxers do is compare the bit that suits their agenda, what people pay in the UK.

They don't want to compare the level of service because it blows their argument all the way out of the water.

Nothing new, nothing changes with these people, you know the old expression about a fool and their money being easily parted!!!

The same rules do not apply in all of the UK. For instance in England and Wales people have to pay for water separately over and above their Council Tax. Not happening in the North yet but it will.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/cut-water-bills

Most analysts agree that too heavy taxes on labour are a bad idea, so it's better to rebalance the tax system towards taxes that have less negative distortions.

One of the many advantages of an annual PT is its lack of negative incentives or distortions.

We want to change your behaviour with plastic bags, so we tax them - good idea. Indeed, if this tax is very successful, the tax yield will be less.

But we don't want you to work less, so we shouldn't tax work too hard, so 52% marginal income tax rates are crazy for average workers.

You have to live in a house, a PT won't change that, so in that sense a PT provides a steady stream of revenue for the LA.

Tax in Ireland was 29.8% of national income in 2010, and 37.4% in the UK.

The lower tax in Ireland is mainly due to low social insurance, no property tax, low income taxes.

(Anecdote: I know a retired couple on 1,000 pw paying less than 10% income tax - where else would taxes be so low??)

Of course, if we adjust Irish national income to GNP, then our level of taxes would come in not far below the UK levels.

The same rules do not apply in all of the UK. For instance in England and Wales people have to pay for water separately over and above their Council Tax. Not happening in the North yet but it will.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/cut-water-bills

And so it should.

I've never said we shouldn't pay for our water.

I have said that our water infrastructure should be fixed first.

For the people on here who keep comparing a house to a car:confused: might understand it this way.

If you were buying a car for a certain price and it had a leak in the fuel line wouldn't you be sure the fuel line was fixed before you handed over your money?

• Advertisement

And so it should.

I've never said we shouldn't pay for our water.

I have said that our water infrastructure should be fixed first.

For the people on here who keep comparing a house to a car:confused: might understand it this way.

If you were buying a car for a certain price and it had a leak in the fuel line wouldn't you be sure the fuel line was fixed before you handed over your money?

And I pointed out how ridiculous this statement was, which you have chosen to ignore.

Ok please do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Geuze wrote: »
    Most analysts agree that too heavy taxes on labour are a bad idea, so it's better to rebalance the tax system towards taxes that have less negative distortions.

One of the many advantages of an annual PT is its lack of negative incentives or distortions.

We want to change your behaviour with plastic bags, so we tax them - good idea. Indeed, if this tax is very successful, the tax yield will be less.

But we don't want you to work less, so we shouldn't tax work too hard, so 52% marginal income tax rates are crazy for average workers.

You have to live in a house, a PT won't change that, so in that sense a PT provides a steady stream of revenue for the LA.

Down with this sort of sensible, logical thought process.

It's not wanted around these parts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

alastair wrote: »
    Because it has sod all to do with whether you should pay your taxes or not.
    It has everything to do with what we pay here in Ireland.
    It is exposing the level of waste in this country, the terrible public services, the exorbitant cost of living here, the highest pay and pensions for public sector in the EU and the list goes on and on.
    People need to open their eyes to what is going on in this country, the govt. need to call a halt to the runaway cycle of tax increases to fund spending.
    Sort out your own problems before you try to screw the tax payer for anymore...it's simple really.

ALASTAIR, I am still waiting for my YES / NO answers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

Geuze wrote: »
    Tax in Ireland was 29.8% of national income in 2010, and 37.4% in the UK.

The lower tax in Ireland is mainly due to low social insurance, no property tax, low income taxes.

(Anecdote: I know a retired couple on 1,000 pw paying less than 10% income tax - where else would taxes be so low??)

Of course, if we adjust Irish national income to GNP, then our level of taxes would come in not far below the UK levels.

I know of an ex politician who is on a pension of €150,000 a year, a politician who presided over a property boom , which led to a credit boom, which led to massive increases in government revenue, which led to massive increases in government spending and waste, which has now led us to a massive deficit.....so lets start with cutting his pension and reversing those spending increases of the past...

It has everything to do with what we pay here in Ireland.
    It is exposing the level of waste in this country, the terrible public services, the exorbitant cost of living here, the highest pay and pensions for public sector in the EU and the list goes on and on.
    People need to open their eyes to what is going on in this country, the govt. need to call a halt to the runaway cycle of tax increases to fund spending.
    Sort out your own problems before you try to screw the tax payer for anymore...it's simple really.

ALASTAIR, I am still waiting for my YES / NO answers....

I thought we dealt with this - no.

Whatever waste you believe is at play here, and regardless of whether we live beside a veritable utopia or not, we still return to the reality that we have a large deficit, lower taxation than said utopia, no chance of resolving our deficit on the back of revisiting whatever red herring issues you point to (pension/benefit levels etc), so building a sustainable taxation system is the only real solution to hand. The universal reality is that property taxation is a core element of sustainable taxation systems - and the same dynamic applies in this little state - a fact that we recognised until the seventies.

And finally - it's just a handy flag of convenience for whinging on your part. If you actually believed this guff - you'd be paying no taxes whatsoever. The supposed principle doesn't relate to property tax - it relates to all taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

But that what the pro taxers want to do, attack the vulnerable in the country because their the easiest targets.

Any law that is passed for any purpose is generally accompanied by resources to detect /enforce adherence (e.g. traffic wardens / corp, inspectors for TV license / safety / food / tax etc. etc.) and sanctions for those that disobey (when all else fails, the courts of law). It is simply daft to devise any law if you are not intent on enforcing it. But the “bullying” line was wheeled out early and often by the no side, to such an extent that there are now some who actually do believe that enforcing a law passed by parliament constitutes bullying! :confused:

Granted it is effective, but it is silly. If you deliberately flaunt the laws of the land you can’t have grounds for complaint if you are taken to task for it.

But what had level of service got to do with mode of payment, which is all that the HCC is really about? If the no side do succeed in defeating this charge then we will likely revert back to the previous indirect funding model for services, which of course is the taxpayer (there is a remarkable failure by some on the no side to appreciate that the tax payer WILL pay for local services one way or another, only the mode of payment is up for discussion). And that begs the question: where was the great concern for waste / poor value for money etc. etc. from all on the no side before the HHC was proposed?
    For the people on here who keep comparing a house to a car might understand it this way.

I think you (and quite a few others) miss the point of the car & motor tax comparison. No one is arguing that a car is the same as a house.

Two of the strongest arguments put for the no side for not paying are
    1. it is an unfair charge and
    2. they already have paid tax on the purchase of their house (or the transaction if you want to split hairs).

But both of these objections apply to motor tax, a tax BTW like the HHC that you have the option of declining to pay on principle.

Yet I have heard no one on the no side say they do not pay motor tax in principle. And that somewhat calls in to doubt that the reasons above that they cite are genuine. If they were, would they not be consistent in their attitude to all taxes/charges? This is the point of the comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

lugha wrote: »
    But what had level of service got to do with mode of payment, which is all that the HCC is really about? If the no side do succeed in defeating this charge then we will likely revert back to the previous indirect funding model for services, which of course is the taxpayer (there is a remarkable failure by some on the no side to appreciate that the tax payer WILL pay for local services one way or another, only the mode of payment is up for discussion). And that begs the question: where was the great concern for waste / poor value for money etc. etc. from all on the no side before the HHC was proposed?

No one on here has disagreed with taxes needing to paid, plenty have disagreed with placing a tax over the family home though.
    lugha wrote: »
    Yet I have heard no one on the no side say they do not pay motor tax in principle.

If the budget is a bit tight, anyone can opt to take the car off the road for half the year/altogether.

Try that trick with your house.....

I dont think throwing a huge camouflaged netting over it, and telling the Govt that 'I've taken it off the land for a wee while' will wash with them.

Is that a fair argument?

I know of an ex politician who is on a pension of €150,000 a year, a politician who presided over a property boom , which led to a credit boom, which led to massive increases in government revenue, which led to massive increases in government spending and waste, which has now led us to a massive deficit.....so lets start with cutting his pension and reversing those spending increases of the past...

I fully agree - the cuts to PS pensions have been too small, I think all PS pensions should be cut by more.

No one on here has disagreed with taxes needing to paid

They haven't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

dvpower wrote: »
    It seems that the shortfall is going to result in cuts to council subventions this year, for anyone who doubted that the money was ringfenced for local services.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0719/local-authorities-household-charge.html

I know some people who are council workers they have faced cutbacks anyway in the last few years-none of them paid their household tax-they were even threatened with being put on short time unless they paid it-a union person sorted out that threat for them and the threat was dropped-this is nothing more then an attempt to divide people and try to make them feel guily for not paying-
    WE already pay for our local services in taxes, the shortfall in funding they talk about it due to your money being thrown away at bond holders. That is NOT the peoples debt or my debt.

While Im at it-its Ironic they re talking about cutting services-but not a word about cutting Saleries of the overpaid council managers and directors.

Carlow
    County manager (Tom Barry): €132,511
    5 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Vet inspector: €94,392
    3 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    Chief fire officer: €81,232
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,103,986

Cavan
    County manager (Jack Keyes): €132,511
    4 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    5 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €995,696

Clare
    County manager (Tom Coughlan): €142,469
    Chief veterinary inspector: €93,436 to €109,927
    2 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    Chief fire officer: €73,223 to €87,117
    Senior executive officer: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,025,383

Cork City
    City manager (Tim Lucey): €153,260
    Assistant city manager: €90,453 to €106,900
    3 heads of function: €90,453 to €106,900
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,115,360

Cork County
    County manager (Martin Riordan): €162,062
    3 divisional managers: €125,885
    Chief vet officer: €93,436 to €111,177
    10 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    1 county engineer: €81,077 to €98,379
    4 vet inspectors: €60,555 to €94,392
    19 senior professionals (engineer/architect/planner/solicitor/scientist): €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,185,394

Donegal
    County manager (Seamus Neely): €142,469
    4 senior engineers: €74,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,025,437

Dublin City
    City manager (John Tierney): €189,301
    City engineer/director of traffic: €142,469
    Assistant city manager: €132,511
    Head of finance: €132,511
    Personnel officer: €132,511
    Executive manager: €90,453 to €106,900
    Dublin city librarian: €90,453 to €106,900
    Financial accountant: €90,453 to €106,900
    ICT manager: €90,453 to €106,900
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,263,803

Dún Laoighre-Rathdown
    County manager (Owen Keegan): €153,260
    8 directors of services: €106,900
    County law agent: €95,540
    County architect: €95,540
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,104,000

Fingal
    County manager (David O’Connor): €162,062
    6 directors of services: €106,900
    County architect: €95,540
    Law agent: €95,540
    5 senior engineers (five of them on the top point of the scale): €73,223 to €87,117
    3 senior planners: €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,081,714

Galway city
    City manager (Joe O’Neill, acting): €132,511
    3 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Head of finance and ICT: €90,453 to €106,900
    Senior planner: €73,223 to €87,117
    2 management accountants: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €992,615

Galway county
    County manager (Martina Moloney): €142,469
    5 directors of service: €90,453 to €106,900
    2 veterinary inspectors:€60,555 to €94,392
    Chief fire officer €76,884 to €91,472
    6 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,044,342

Kerry
    County manager (Tom Curran): €142,469
    6 directors of services: €106,900 (one not in place; seconded to Limerick Regeneration Agency)
    Law agent: €95,540
    Veterinary inspector: €94,392
    Head of finance: €90,453
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,064,254

Kildare
    County manger (Michael Malone): €153,260
    6 directors of service: €86,408 to €106,900
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,056,011

Kilkenny
    County manager (Joe Crockett): €142,469
    3 directors of service: €90,453 to €106,900
    Head of finance €90,453 to €106,900
    Veterinary officer: €60,555 to €94,392
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,012,989

Laois
    County manager (Peter Carey): €132,511
    2 director of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Head of finance: €90,453 to €106,900
    Financial management accountant: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €888,796

Leitrim
    County manager (Jackie Maguire): €132,511
    4 director of services: €90,453 to €106,900 Head of finance: €90,453 to €106,900
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,022,754

Limerick city
    City manager (Tom Mackey): €142,469
    4 directors of service: €98,677 to €106,900
    3 senior engineers: €81,886 to €87,117
    Senior executive officer: €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,006, 258

Limerick county
    County manager (Gerry Behan, acting): €142,469
    Veterinary officer: €60,555 to €94,393
    5 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    Regional waste co-ordinator: €73,223 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,052,496

Longford
    County manager (Tim Caffrey): €132,511
    2 directors of services (plus one acting director of services): €90,453 to €106,900
    Senior resident engineer: €80,076
    2 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    4 senior executive officer: €64,426 to €84,036
    8 senior executive engineers: €62,276 to €78,501
    Veterinary inspector: €60,555 to €94,392
    2 resident engineers: €59,680 to €68,030
    Site technician: €48,147 to €52,363
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,066,529

Louth
    County manager (Conn Murray) €142,469
    11 in senior executive officer/financial management accountant/senior social worker/county librarian/head of IT posts: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,025,437

Mayo
    County manager (Peter Hynes): €142,469
    County engineer: €90,453 to €106,900
    Project resident engineer: €88,698
    Vet inspector: €60,555 to €94,392
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,054,076

Meath
    County Manager (Tom Dowling) €153,260
    Head of finance: €90,453 €106,900
    County Vet: €88,898 to €98,945
    Project resident engineer: €88,698
    4 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,049,637

Monaghan
    County manager (David Fallon): €132,511
    2 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Acting director of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Senior executive officer: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €999,890

North Tipp
    County manager (Joe MacGrath): €132,511
    3 directors of service: €90,453 to €106,900
    4 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,002,971

Offaly
    County manager (Pat Gallagher): €132,511
    * What the top 10 earn: €995,696

Roscommon
    County manager (Frank Dawson): €132,511
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,002,971

Sligo County
    County manager (Hubert Kearns): €136,509
    3 directors of services: €99,970 to €109,268
    Senior executive officer: €104,885
    Project engineer: €96,167
    2 senior engineers: €86,818 to €92,919
    Veterinary inspector: €91,336
    Chief librarian: €86,573
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,012,872

Sligo Borough
    Acting director of services: €102,787
    Senior executive officer: €81,234
    4 senior executive engineers: €71,824 to €76,118
    Executive engineer and acting senior executive engineers: €64,373
    Executive engineer: €62,374
    3 administrative officers: €59,324 to €61,420
    * What the top 10 earn: €653,182

South Dublin
    County manager (Philomena Poole, acting): €162,062
    8 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Project engineer (construction): €87,117
    County architect: €78,368 to €95,540
    Law agent: €78,368 to €95,540
    15 in senior engineer/senior architect/senior planner/parks superintendent/solicitor/health and safety adviser posts: €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,104,379

South Tipp
    County manager (Billy McEvoy): €142,469
    4 veterinary inspectors: €60,555 to €94,393
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,054,541

Waterford City Council
    City manager (Michael Walsh): €132,511
    Senior engineer: €73,223 to €87,117
    Senior architect: €73,223 to €87,117
    City librarian: €64,426 to €84,036
    Head of information systems: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €989,534

Waterford County Council
    County manager (Denis McCarthy): €132,511
    County librarian: €68,496
    4 senior executive officer: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €973,994

Westmeath
    County manager (Danny McLoughlin) €142,469
    2 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    County librarian: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €990,065

Wexford
    County manager (Eddie Breen): €142,469
    3 directors of services: €102,787 to €106,900
    Head of finance: €94,565
    County veterinary officer: €94,392
    2 senior engineers: €87,117
    Chief fire officer: €84,500
    Senior engineer: €84,500
    * What the top 10 earn: €991,247

Wicklow
    County manager (Eddie Sheehy): €142,469
    6 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Law agent: €78,368 to €95,540
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,080,701

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/organisations-are-top-heavy-with-high-earners-189877.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Am Chile wrote: »
    I know some people who are council workers they have faced cutbacks anyway in the last few years-none of them paid their household tax-they were even threatened with being put on short time unless they paid it-a union person sorted out that threat for them and the threat was dropped-this is nothing more then an attempt to divide people and try to make them feel guily for not paying
    I seriously doubt that this is true.

WE already pay for our local services in taxes, the shortfall in funding they talk about it due to your money being thrown away at bond holders.
    This has been addressed over and over again (and ignored over and over again). The tax base in this country has suffered a major collapse - we are no longer raising the property based transaction taxes that used to go towards services.

WE already pay for our local services in taxes, the shortfall in funding they talk about it due to your money being thrown away at bond holders. That is NOT the peoples debt or my debt.

Eh - the actual breakdown of where your taxes are going: http://www.ronanlyons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Monthly-tax-bill.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

No one on here has disagreed with taxes needing to paid, plenty have disagreed with placing a tax over the family home though.
    I don’t think anyone had provided a compelling reason why not (“because it’s my home FFS is not a compelling reason” :)) And if there is some compelling reason for it then why so many other countries have no difficulty with it? (Which is not to argue BTW that we should simply ape what other countries do).
    If the budget is a bit tight, anyone can opt to take the car off the road for half the year/altogether.

A great many people in practice can not. Suggesting people can do without their car is no more sensible that suggesting people sell their house to avoid property tax. In theory they can do both, the reality is very different.

Anyway all of this missed my point. Those who refuse to pay the HHC on the grounds that it is unfair should, if they are to be consistent, also refuse to pay motor tax, rather than stop using their car.

donalg1 wrote: »
    And I pointed out how ridiculous this statement was, which you have chosen to ignore.

It would be ridiculous to borrow that €500 million, use it to fix the leaks by employing X amount of people, taking them off the dole and having them then spend their wages in the local economy?
    The €500 million could then be paid back by the householder over a 20 year timescale.

Ridiculous?

Maybe that's why since your shower got their feet under the table the unemployment rate rising month on month, year on year.

Tax tax tax, that's the answer.
    A strategy that's working so well.

The laughing stock of europe, dumb paddy's, pay back all the unsecured bondholders and screw your own economy.

It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Your young donal, maybe when you have another few years behind you and you've grown up a bit more you'll understand.

The laughing stock of europe, dumb paddy's, pay back all the unsecured bondholders and screw your own economy.

Anything to substantiate this statement?

Or is it just more waffle?

Valetta wrote: »
    Anything to substantiate this statement?

Or is it just more waffle?

Cop on to yourself!

alastair wrote: »
    Eh - the actual breakdown of where your taxes are going: http://www.ronanlyons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Monthly-tax-bill.png

What's your point?

When we get out of this mess the unemployment figure will drop, the rest will keep rising.

It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

You seem to forget that we've been running the country on loans for a number of years now - and that one requirement of those lenders was that we, yep, pay off those unsecured bondholders. We had the option of saying no of course, but that €85 billion rescue, plus whatever amount the ECB were propping us up by in previous state bond issues, might have been need over the past three years. I doubt anyone is laughing at us - we had no real options.

• Advertisement

Cop on to yourself!

Wonderful response.

I haven't seen any evidence that we are the laughing stock of Europe, and I suspect you haven't either.

I am very copped on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement