Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bgrizzley wrote: »
    You'll get the list a lot faster than you'll get the services tayto....;)

We are already paying for non-existent services already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

They have a 25e charge to play them. So when you play you pay for that service there and then. Those courses are only in Dublin too and not much good to someone in Kerry or Donegal.
    You are scraping the barrel with that one.
    They do charge a fee to go towards the cost; a concept not greatly understood around here apparently.

dvpower wrote: »
    They do charge a fee to go towards the cost; a concept not greatly understood around here apparently.

They are probably making money by screwing the public with the 25e charge. I can play many private clubs for less.
    Big favour that alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

They are probably making money by screwing the public with the 25e charge. I can play many private clubs for less.
    Big favour that alright.

dunno know a lot about golf, so let me get this straight.
    1 the council provide a golf course, that you pay for via your taxes
    2 they then charge you more than a private club would, to play there
    3 you are expected to pay for it a 3rd time via HHC

hmmm something doesnt add up there.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I know what it is. The HHC pays for the roads, so people with no cars can use them:)

• Advertisement

Tayto must know where to go for incredibly cheap golf; check out how much it really costs.

http://www.dublinevents.com/dublin-golf/Clubs-courses.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

There's a handy list of golf clubs for us now:confused:

Here's a list of parks/gardens and walkways.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dublin.ie%2Fdisp_list.aspx%3Fcatid%3D68&ei=giMLUMmGFYiJhQf4-IGDCg&usg=AFQjCNEWJb8yQvts-nf3XqkZKrqYxpTdAw&sig2=4ACsbCFYFL7hyxMh2ZvgYQ

A new game for us all, lets see how many lists we can put up here.

you wont play much this year tayto with the E100 you saved but you can spend a nice bit of time on course with the E700 you save next year(estimate).......

Tayto must know where to go for incredibly cheap golf; check out how much it really costs.

http://www.dublinevents.com/dublin-golf/Clubs-courses.php

Dublin is a complete rip-off for golf. Try these particularly with a member or during Open Weeks -- great bargains and all a max half-hour drive from me.

http://www.golfinginireland.ie/fairway.ie/site/Down/Warren4.htm

http://www.chestnuttholidayparks.com/pages/index.asp?title=Kilkeel_Golf_Club

http://www.gogolfing.ie/Down/Mayobr4.htm

Dublin is a complete rip-off for golf.

I know. If only someone would provide an affordable service to make golf accessible to all.

Oh wait...

• Advertisement

I know. If only someone would provide an affordable service to make golf accessible to all.

Oh wait...

Still waiting .... because our crowd haven't. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

alastair wrote: »
    You're getting a service for your property tax too - continued local authority service. You're already paying towards local authority services regardless - but, just as with motor tax - it's an additional revenue stream that's required to ensure there's enough to cover the overhead. We've a shortfall of tax revenue at the moment - despite cutting public expenditure and bumping up other taxes - the only question therefore is where to tax and where to cut.

you said "We've a shortfall of tax revenue at the moment ...WRONG ALASTAIR !!!!!!!!!
    what we actually have is an excess in spending......do you understand the difference ?.....how about if i put it like this... "we are spending more than we collect in taxes"....now do you understand the difference...

This is a spending issue, not a tax revenue issue.
    Perhaps we should start with an ANTI - BENCHMARKING campaign ?????

MASSIVE CUTS IN GOVERNMENT SPENDING ARE NEEDED NOW !!!!!......there is no other way :)

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    Perhaps we should start with an ANTI - BENCHMARKING campaign ?????
    You won't get the CAHWT people to lead that campaign.

ALASTAIR, Lugha, DV, DX et al.....HAVE A READ OF THIS....
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0722/1224301110527.html

take off your blinkers and comment on that article...I would love to hear what you have to say :D:D:D

These are the reasons why we have a massive deficit, and why the government wants us to pay a property tax :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.....I like these quotes best...

"This State’s fiscal history over the past decade has been eventful. In the 2000-08 period, there was a massive and unprecedented increase in spending."

"In 2008 the Irish State spent €77 billion. This was 144 per cent up on 2000 and exceeded the EU aggregate 41 per cent increase by a factor of 3.5."

"In the current fraught European political context it may also be worth noting that Irish public spending grew by more than eight times the rate of the country with the smallest increase over the period - Germany."

"In the 2000-08 period, public spending growth in Ireland was the fourth highest among the 27 members of the EU. Two of the three countries registering higher growth – Romania and Latvia – have, like Ireland, been bailed out. The third, Estonia, suffered a depression- sized crash, but mananged to struggle through unaided, in part by cutting spending more drastically than Ireland has done to date."

"Despite the warning lights that flashed ever more urgently as the boom reached its peak, the previous government not only continued to allow expenditure to match economic growth, it ramped up spending even more rapidly than the rate at which the credit- fuelled economy was expanding"

"By the first half of 2008 the economy was already in full-blown recession. Despite this, expenditure growth remained in double digits for full-year 2008, with the government only waking up to the scale of the crisis in the second half of that year."

"spending on social welfare grew more rapidly than any of the three other major spending items, tripling over a decade."

"If good can come from the current crisis, it will be the instituting of a more rigorous and thoughtful approach to the use of taxpayers’ money to replace the if-I-have-it-I’ll-spend-it idiocy of boom-era administrations."

"Politicians almost always slash investment spending more than other areas of spending when they run into budgetary problems. This is so because it is politically easier to stop building roads than to cut public pay and welfare."

Not only do measures like the hhc / property tax brigade not solve the deficit problem, they actually f*ck the country up even more, they do not address the root of the problem, they will only prolong the pain of the Irish people.
    People of Ireland, your country needs YOU, do your civic duty....DON'T PAY THE HHC !
    Time for the pro tax brigade to face up to reality....THIS IS NOT A TAX ISSUE , IT IS A SPENDING ISSUE !!....

You won't get the CAHWT people to lead that campaign.

what ???????...explain please

Besides our politicians lumping of gambling debts on to the Irish people, and then their very noble commitment to "pay back every single cent", I am convinced that our useless politicians have sold out the Irish people in yet another way !

I am convinced, that the during their dirty secret little meetings with the IMF, the govt. diluted down the IMF demands for cuts in public spending, the govt. then compensated with commitments to introduce higher taxes, property and water charges etc....

I can't believe for one second that the IMF, after looking at all the numbers ie. our spending versus tax revenue, our mortgage debt levels, our personal debt levels etc., agreed to such minimal cuts in public spending.

I remember quotes from German officials along the lines of "we are bailing them out, and they are still paying themselves more than us"....think about it...

It all points to our govt. bargaining and offering more tax raising measures to lessen spending cuts.... yes, the govt. gave a commitment to the IMF to introduce a property tax, but what they are not telling us is that it was THEIR idea !!!
    where is my proof ?.....where is the proof that I am wrong?
    I do not believe one word from the government, they are playing us for fools....well some of us at least...not me though :D... as I am not paying the hhc !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Dublin is a complete rip-off for golf. Try these particularly with a member or during Open Weeks -- great bargains and all a max half-hour drive from me.

Ah - so you're either subsidised by a member or freeloading - that'd work out pretty competitive compared to public courses alright.

I do not believe one word from the government, they are playing us for fools....well some of us at least...not me though :D... as I am not paying the hhc !

Quality paranoid rant there. One request - the crazy-man formatting of most of your posts just highlights the lack of any substance to your position - but it's also ugly as sin. Could you tone it down for the sake of the visual environment?
    how about if i put it like this... "we are spending more than we collect in taxes"

That's not a shortfall in tax revenue? kaay.

Thanks Alastair, i rest my case.......

You do recognise that there's a shortfall in funding for services - and that paying towards something doesn't imply that it's fully funded?

kr7 wrote: »
    We all pay through our taxes for the LA services, everyone, and I've always said that.

Anyone else for the last of the bleeding obvious!

This is just screwing taxing home owners,

FYP

who have cost the LA nothing to house,

They haven't? Aren't services supplied to all those householders? Do those services come for free?

to pay for others.

And themselves of course.

In the long run it will discourage people from buying a house and increase the numbers on the LA housing lists.

The lunatics really have taken over the asylum.

Being on a list isn't much of a burden to anyone. Property taxation doesn't boost local authority housing numbers elsewhere - don't see why it would here.

• Advertisement

Still waiting .... because our crowd haven't. :D

100 local authority courses in the country - and none near you? That's rather unfortunate, and implausible.

Tayto should probably look up that list himself. He's the only one who can truly answer that question.

He's remarkably unwilling to look at the services his council provides, isn't he? You'd almost suspect he'd rather not know.

what ???????...explain please
    The CAWHT people would never support your ^radical^ spending cut proposals.
    I doubt you would find a single serving TD that would. I'm afraid you are an isolated island of sanity.

Or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Quality paranoid rant there. One request - the crazy-man formatting of most of your posts just highlights the lack of any substance to your position - but it's also ugly as sin. Could you tone it down for the sake of the visual environment?
    how about if i put it like this... "we are spending more than we collect in taxes"

That's not a shortfall in tax revenue? kaay.

lol is that it? thats your reply?

complete deflection to valid points posed

stinks of politician

Hijpo wrote: »
    complete deflection to valid points posed

I'm not seeing much that's valid in there tbh.
    Colonel Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
    Capt. Benjamin Willard: I don't see any method at all sir.

He's remarkably unwilling to look at the services his council provides, isn't he? You'd almost suspect he'd rather not know.
    I guess that a central argument against the HHC is that local authorities aren't providing services in the first place, so the blinkers need to remain on.

One if the positive things about a property tax is that people will start questioning the value for money they are getting. Eventually I'd like to see every tax payer getting an annual statement from their council outlining what portion of their tax went on each service. Then we would see, for example, how much was spent on, say, parks and recreation, what proportion was central government funding and how much was my funding. Then people will be in a much better position to access value for money.

heres another one from that, Alastair.......

Kurtz: Have you ever considered any real freedoms? Freedoms from the
    opinion of others... even the opinions of yourself?

heres another one from that Alastair.......

Kurtz: Have you ever considered any real freedoms? Freedoms from the
    opinion of others... even the opinions of yourself?

Your point? Kurtz was a nutjob - prone to poorly considered rationalisation.

Your point? Kurtz was a nutjob - prone to poorly considered rationalisation.

are'nt we all? lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

One if the positive things about a property tax is that people will start questioning the value for money they are getting. Eventually I'd like to see every tax payer getting an annual statement from their council outlining what portion of their tax went on each service. Then we would see, for example, how much was spent on, say, parks and recreation, what proportion was central government funding and how much was my funding. Then people will be in a much better position to access value for money.

I would agree with all of this. I'd also like to see the local authority structures overhauled. Basing our local governance on county boundaries is a rather anachronistic way of doing things. There is definitely money to be saved.

I don't support the notion that you can simply decide you don't want to pay a tax and then not pay it. And then try to rationalise that as not being tax evasion. Or that we have to wait for some arbitrary amount of savings before tax increases can even be considered.
    Ghandee wrote: »
    The unions will have a field day, and the country will grind to a halt.

Let them. Let's see how far public sympathy (and the union's wallets) stretches.
    It will get seven times more people, seven times angrier than this year.

These "people" will ultimately comply. There is simply no choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement