Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Hijpo wrote: »
    them

Sorry - by any measure 5 grand is a greater amount than your property tax. They're also paying income tax etc - so the differential is down to the amount of that property tax compared to their rent.

mikom wrote: »
    They pay less.
    Our taxes subsidise their housing......... a local authority service.

Your line of thinking is very confused.

Our and their taxes subsidise their housing - but who's paying more to the council - them with their rent, or you with your property charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

alastair wrote: »
    Sorry - by any measure 5 grand is a greater amount than your property tax. They're also paying income tax etc - so the differential is down to the amount of that property tax comapred to their rent.

5 grand would not even begin to cover their housing and services.
    It's a loss making situation buoyed up by other taxpayers.

I find it hard to believe you are serious with this line of thinking, or maybe it's desperate you are.

5 grand would not even begin to cover their housing and services.
    It's a loss making situation.
    Didn't say otherwise - that's why it's subsidised.
    I find it hard to believe you are serious with this line of thinking, or maybe it's desperate you are.
    So - not prepared to admit they may pay more to the LA than you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Our and their taxes subsidise their housing - but who's paying more to the council - them with their rent, or you with your property charge?
    They are getting accommodation for their rent. A private renter will pay more plus get the charge added on by his landlord.

• Advertisement

Didn't say otherwise - that's why it's subsidised.

So - not prepared to admit they may pay more to the LA than you?

"Didn't say otherwise"............. wordplay............ very politician like

You are talking absolute jazz.

You are talking absolute jazz.

In your world 5 grand might be less than 100 euro, or even a grand, but not mine. The council tenant in that situation pays more to the council than you do.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    They are getting accommodation for their rent. A private renter will pay more plus get the charge added on by his landlord.

True - but that's not the case Hijpo made, is it?
    people in LA housing avail of more services and pay less, on the flip side people who already pay for there house availe of less LA services yet have to pay more.

Talking Jazz.

You probably don't even believe it yourself............ but if you do then you've shown yourself up.

Talking Jazz.

You probably don't even believe it yourself............ but if you do then you've shown yourself up.

Enlighten me.

• Advertisement

im lost, are you saying mikom should pay 5g extra a year for a house he doesnt live in? or are you just saying that technically the LA renter gives more to the council for the extra service he recieves (accomodation)?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

In your world 5 grand might be less than 100 euro, or even a grand, but not mine. The council tenant in that situation pays more to the council than you do.

So by that logic the 5 grand rent goes only towards local services (as opposed to the measly 100 Euro HHC private property owners pay) therefore the LA "tenant" is actually living in the house for free? The rent they pay isn't actually for the roof over their head and continued maintenance of the property?:confused:

Enlighten me.

You're a waste of time a Mhac.
    See if you can find another willing volunteer for your wordplay.

people in LA housing avail of more services and pay less, on the flip side people who already pay for there house availe of less LA services yet have to pay more.

yea they get a subsidised house on top of these services of which you speak, are you saying it should be zero cost to them altogether?

im lost, are you saying mikom should pay 5g extra a year for a house he doesnt live in? or are you just saying that technically the LA renter gives more to the council for the extra service he recieves (accomodation)?

The LA renter pays more for LA services than the private householder does. The LA renter obviously gets more benefit, but they (generally) don't pay less for it - they pay more.

people in LA housing avail of more services
    In cost terms - yes - typically
    and pay less,
    No - typically not.
    on the flip side people who already pay for there house availe of less LA services
    yet have to pay more.
    No - they pay less

Typical LA rent > property tax

phil1nj wrote: »
    So by that logic the 5 grand rent goes only towards local services (as opposed to the measly 100 Euro HHC private property owners pay) therefore the LA "tenant" is actually living in the house for free? The rent they pay isn't actually for the roof over their head and continued maintenance of the property?:confused:

That 5 grand does indeed go solely for local authority services. It's certainly not free though - it costs 5 grand!

yea they get a subsidised house on top of these services of which you speak, are you saying it should be zero cost to them altogether?

No. I'm not. The house isn't 'on top' of services though - it's part of the services provided.

That 5 grand does indeed go solely for local authority services. It's certainly not free though - it costs 5 grand!

Right, would these local authority services include their continued living in the house provided for them and its continued upkeep? These are services which I, a private property owner, will never avail of. You see in this case a LA "tenant" can't really complain about this deal as I'm guessing that the majority of the 5 grand is spent keeping them housed for 12 months of the year. Seems only right they should pay more as they appear to be getting a good deal more from the LA than private householders. No free lunch right.

No. I'm not. The house isn't 'on top' of services though - it's part of the services provided.

so i can sell my house pay off my mortgage and insist on one?
    everyone can? why didnt anyone tell us this?

Right, would these local authority services include their continued living in the house provided for them and its continued upkeep? These are services which I, a private property owner, will never avail of.
    You might - who knows what the future holds?
    You see in this case a LA "tenant" can't really complain about this deal as I'm guessing that the majority of the 5 grand is spent keeping them housed for 12 months of the year.
    Why the scare quotes on tenant? Are they complaining? Yep - it certainly would be.
    Seems only right they should pay more as they appear to be getting a good deal more from the LA than private householders. No free lunch right.
    5 grand isn't free. And it's still more than any property tax figure I've seen mooted.

• Advertisement

so i can sell my house pay off my mortgage and insist on one?
    everyone can? why didnt anyone tell us this?

You can give it a shot - I suspect no-one would have much sympathy for your case.

Why the scare quotes on tenant?

The quotes were around the word tenants because a tenant is someone who rents, pays rent for the use of a property. You have adopted the line that it is not rent they are paying but a higher payment for local authority services. Which is it? Rent or a LA service fee? Or is the rent actually a LA service fee?

You can give it a shot - I suspect no-one would have much sympathy for your case.

why not? if i sold my house i reckon i'd still be in debt to the tune of 50k. i wouldnt be able to afford to repay that, plus rent. one or the other.
    with the exception of this E100 ive paid my taxes up to now. im surely entitled to these services. im already paying for them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

A friend of mine has a 2 bed apartment leased to his LA on the RAS scheme.

The LA has asked him to give the tenants an evicition notice because they haven't paid their portion of the rent. €45 per week, €180.00 per month.

He has to pay the service charge on the apartment €1,300 per year which covers their bin collection, car parking, maintenance etc etc.

He also has the NPPR and will be expected to pay the property tax when it comes in.

€45 per week to have all your services paid for and they are €2,700 in arrears.

That's the attitude of some renters.

If the council wen't after the rent arrears people like these owe them it would fit them better.

The quotes were around the word tenants because a tenant is someone who rents, pays rent for the use of a property. You have adopted the line that it is not rent they are paying but a higher payment for local authority services. Which is it? Rent or a LA service fee? Or is the rent actually a LA service fee?

It's a rent - that goes to the local authority. The housing is a service that the local authority provide.

Let's take Tayto's golf example. I don't play golf. I'm paying for the provision of golf courses in my local authority taxation - but don't make use of that service myself. Let's say there's a realy avid golfer who made use of one of those courses on a weekly basis - paying the council a grand for his golfing entertainment over the tear. Who has paid the council more in that year - me or him? Does he get more for his outlay on the golf front? Yes he does. Am I bothered? No I am not.

why not? if i sold my house i reckon i'd still be in debt to the tune of 50k. i wouldnt be able to afford to repay that, plus rent. one or the other.
    with the exception of this E100 ive paid my taxes up to now. im surely entitled to these services. im already paying for them....

Give it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

The LA renter pays more for LA services than the private householder does. The LA renter obviously gets more benefit, but they (generally) don't pay less for it - they pay more.

No - typically not.

No - they pay less

Typical LA rent > property tax

Delusional ramblings.

kr7 wrote: »
    Delusional ramblings.

But enough about you.

• Advertisement