Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I did dispute it, it is misleading. So misleading even you have no clue what most people will actually be playing. At least it's good to see you admit defeat. ;)

I do have a clue, from what we've been told, it will be a grand (on average) why wont that sink in?

You dispute the law of averages?

Go chucky!:D

I admit defeat, Chucky 1, Ghandee 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Would the Councils be so underhand as to send out people to get information on house owners for them? I have a habit of sending out my daughter to the door to say there is nobody in and to not answer any questions from any caller.

If there was an upcoming election I wouldn't of being suspicious of someone calling am I registered to vote-then again surely they know full well whos registered to vote and who isn't registered to vote so why the need to send someone door to door with a clipboard asking homeowners how many is living in the house, are they all registered to vote-def a Intel gathering exercise by the local council for next years property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

bgrizzley wrote: »

This is classic, bgrizzley. Well done for digging this one up. I had completely forgotten about this until I seen it just now.:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bad news alert!
    Revenue Commissioners to collect property tax
    The Government decided today at its last cabinet meeting before the Summer break to give the Revenue Commissioners the power to collect the new property tax.
    The decision follows the difficulties with collecting the €100 household charge this year.
    A Government spokesman said handing over the responsibility to Revenue was “deemed the most efficient way to collect it”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

snubbleste wrote: »
    Bad news alert!
    That's really good news. Them boys really know how to collect taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This is not going to end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Well it won't end well for those that think they can avoid paying it anyway.

dvpower wrote: »
    That's really good news. Them boys really know how to collect taxes.

Dv shows signs of giddiness at prospect of paying more tax shocker.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Well it won't end well for those that think they can avoid paying it anyway.

What can the revenue do to the general population that the govt can't?
    Right so, it was there or there abouts half the population wouldn't/couldn't pay one hundred euro, but when you multiply that by ten (on average) to one thousand, how many will refuse to play ball then?

I for one am certainly not phased by the news one iota, they'll get the same answer the govt will get if either call looking it from me.

Its high time these ponces realised who works for who.

Bad news alert!

Regardless whos in charge of collecting it-Id rather serve time in jail before I pay a cent in property taxes-Im sure there's prob others on here too who feel the same.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Am Chile wrote: »
    Regardless whos in charge of collecting it-Id rather serve time in jail before I pay a cent in property taxes-Im sure there's prob others on here too who feel the same.

Earlier this year, it was hinted at by Phil Hogan that the household charge/property tax could be taken from your wages if you're a paye employee. Well guess what happened today..

Earlier this year, it was hinted at by Phil Hogan that the household charge/property tax could be taken from your wages if you're a paye employee. Well guess what happened today..

Which is why I said...... "This is not going to end well. "

The unions will get involved now........ so prepare for disruption.

Earlier this year unions warned that any attempt to deduct property tax or the hhc at source would result in strikes.

The country will grind to a halt.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Earlier this year unions warned that any attempt to deduct property tax or the hhc at source would result in strikes.

The country will grind to a halt.
    iirc it was a single branch of a single union.

The country will not be grinding to a halt.

And it wasn't either the CPSU or the PSEU, the two main players in Revenue.

In all the articles today about revenue collecting it-none of them said its being taken at source-but if it is-prepare for some Industrial action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Am Chile wrote: »

In all the articles today about revenue collecting it-none of them said its being taken at source-but if it is-prepare for some Industrial action.

dont you have to sign on the line and give them permission to take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I must pick up a stack of household charge forms and fill them in with fake addresses in Irish on islands that might not even exist. Just to waste their time a bit. Might do a few online ones as well and claim waivers

Hijpo wrote: »

If it happens to be taken at source-permission won't be required-the USC permission isn't required for that.

Don't think so tbh.

I mean, I never sanctioned the usc charge.

eth0 wrote: »
    I must pick up a stack of household charge forms and fill them in with fake addresses in Irish on islands that might not even exist. Just to waste their time a bit. Might do a few online ones as well and claim waivers

I had a conversation with some people earlier this year about registering fake names/fake addresses might sound like a good idea-but its not-they will just say a futher number of people have registered for the household tax bumping up their numbers.

• Advertisement

Don't think so tbh.

I mean, I never sanctioned the usc charge.

but wasnt that just replacing a charge and not adding and extra charge?

but wasnt that just replacing a charge and not adding and extra charge?

Not sure on the legality issues on deduction at source. Besides, if it is against the law, they'll change the law to suit themselves.

As you do in a democratically elected govt. ;)

Not sure on the legality issues on deduction at source. Besides, if it is against the law, they'll change the law to suit themselves.

As you do in a democratically elected govt. ;)
    What? Our democratically elected legislators might pass some legislation?

The ordinary decent tax evader just can't catch a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,759 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If they start that then they will just force even more people into the black economy. People will turn against the Govt even more and eventually they will topple in the same way that F.F. did. Dead men walking.

The only reason I can see them asking the Revenue to get involved is so they can deduct it from source needed, it would save them the hassle of bringing people to court and wasting money. The anti-brigade are all about stopping government waste yet are the very ones intent on causing the Govt to waste money, seems a tad hypocritical imo.

It just shows that the Govt are going to collect it one way or another, which yes it is political suicide but also refreshing to see a Govt putting the Countries best interests (in thier opinion) ahead of their own election campaign. FF spent years ignoring the real problems and instead put all their time and energy into winning the next election.

donalg1 wrote: »
    The only reason I can see them asking the Revenue to get involved is so they can deduct it from source needed, it would save them the hassle of bringing people to court and wasting money. The anti-brigade are all about stopping government waste yet are the very ones intent on causing the Govt to waste money, seems a tad hypocritical imo.

It just shows that the Govt are going to collect it one way or another, which yes it is political suicide but also refreshing to see a Govt putting the Countries best interests (in thier opinion) ahead of their own election campaign. FF spent years ignoring the real problems and instead put all their time and energy into winning the next election.

It goes to show the government were twarted by the plain people of Ireland and now are scrambling around for another option.

Seems this new tax amounts to a further income tax seeing as revenue will be involved.
    A rise in income tax was something the coalition said they were not going for.............. another broken promise?

This is gonna escalate.
    Plus I see the black economy booming because of the revenue involvement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sorry all, I'm renting and therefoe have little interest in the situation at the moment.

Let me get this straight...so if you havent paid the household charge by now, you have to pay a whopping 15 euro extra (115)? Also, if you do not pay my Dcember, you will have to pay only 151 in total?

Do the government actually think that these penalties are going to make people pay? Surely I'm missing something here?

mikom wrote: »
    It goes to show the government were twarted by the plain people of Ireland and now are scrambling around for another option.

Seems this new tax amounts to a further income tax seeing as revenue will be involved.
    A rise in income tax was something the coalition said they were not going for.............. another broken promise?

This is gonna escalate.
    Plus I see the black economy booming because of the revenue involvement.

Were twarted by the plain people of Ireland, How so?

Was the HHC scrapped, was the property tax scrapped overnight? Seems to me the cahwt are the ones being twarted as you say.

Self registration was never going to work the anti-brigade loved it now the Govt are saying well if you dont want to play ball with us we will just use other means at our disposal to collect what you owe us. Its very simple really.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Sorry all, I'm renting and therefoe have little interest in the situation at the moment.

Let me get this straight...so if you havent paid the household charge by now, you have to pay a whopping 15 euro extra (115)? Also, if you do not pay my Dcember, you will have to pay only 151 in total?

Do the government actually think that these penalties are going to make people pay? Surely I'm missing something here?

Yes for some silly reason the Govt thought the penalties would encourage people to pay, which they obviously were never going to do.

Either that or they knew people would hold off for a few months and pay the extra few quid thereby raising more money than would be raised if everyone paid the €100 straight off.

• Advertisement

how many does that leave that will be made to pay?

Council houses (that cost the LA more than a private house, yet private houses are the only ones expected to pay there way) are exempt, anyone on the dole wont have a wage to hit.

This has the "shortfall" excuse writen all over it when the tax goes up and up and up each year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement