Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

Am Chile wrote: »
    Hogan threatens to raise Income tax if people continue to refuse to pay the household tax.
    Workers will have to pay more tax next year if 600,000 homeowners persist with their refusal to pay the household charge, Environment Minister Phil Hogan has warned

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/income-tax-hikes-to-pay-for-household-levy-shortfall-202040.html
    Does hogan ever stop threatening people?....who pays your excessive salary hogan? ...the people you are constantly threatening do...bully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    Does hogan ever stop threatening people?....who pays your excessive salary hogan? ...the people you are constantly threatening do...bully

I dont think the anti-brigade can talk about being bullied as they are the ones that havent paid, surely they are bullying the Govt into making the tax compliant pay more for the services the anti-brigade also use.

donalg1 wrote: »
    phil1nj wrote: »
    You are right, it is a wonderful country. Didn't Noonan threaten the same thing with regard to the last EU referendum? Saying that if people voted no, income tax would most likely have to be raised.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0501/breaking19.html

Looks like FG will be hanging this over the electorate until everything (no more how odious and unfair it may be) gets brought it. The laughable thing is that most likley income tax will have to be rasied regardless of all of these threats. These are bully-boy tactics from a government that is out of it's depth and bankrupt of ideas of how to turn things around IMHO.

I agree that Income tax was always going to have to be raised but now it looks like they are doing it in this budget and saying it is as a result of the poor collection rate of the HHC.

Firstly their penalties are laughable and offer no incentive to pay so the Govt are at fault for the lack of collection.

Secondly there are those that refuse to pay as a result of these stupid penalties, meaning everyone that has paid gets screwed twice by the Govt and the non payers.

I just hope someone from the anti-brigade calls to my door or stops me in the street.
    I just hope i meet uncle phil in the street..

I dont think the anti-brigade can talk about being bullied as they are the ones that havent paid, surely they are bullying the Govt into making the tax compliant pay more for the services the anti-brigade also use.
    That is some imagination you have there donal....besides, they started it! .....later all...must go now

That is some imagination you have there donal....besides, they started it! .....later all...must go now

Either that or its true, no surprise to see the anti-brigade skulking off, I know their whole campaign has been dead in the water for a while now, but really what answers could they possible come up with now for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,759 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I laughed when I heard Hulk Hogan on the News this morning saying that the cuts and redundancies in the Councils would be caused by people not paying their HHC. The hypocrite. I wonder who the poor old cleaners and gardeners in his apartment block in Portugal are blaming.

I laughed when I heard Hulk Hogan on the News this morning saying that the cuts and redundancies in the Councils would be caused by people not paying their HHC. The hypocrite. I wonder who the poor old cleaners and gardeners in his apartment block in Portugal are blaming.

So you say Phyl is wrong for doing it over in Portugal yet you are happy to do the same thing here, and you call him a hypocrite. Or are you saying you are wrong for doing the same thing here?

Either both are wrong or none are.

So you say Phyl is wrong for doing it over in Portugal yet you are happy to do the same thing here, and you call him a hypocrite. Or are you saying you are wrong for doing the same thing here?

Either both are wrong or none are.

I am not demanding that he pay his, nor am I threatening him, nor am I making speeches telling him what I'll do next to catch him for it.
    I'm in the "leave the family home alone" camp. He's the hypocrite, plain and simple.

I am not demanding that he pay his, nor am I threatening him, nor am I making speeches telling him what I'll do next to catch him for it.
    I'm in the "leave the family home alone" camp. He's the hypocrite, plain and simple.

Its not about demands or speeches or telling people what to do. You are saying he is wrong for not paying his charge or tax in Portugal arent you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Nice so those that have paid the HHC will be penalised because others didnt pay it, what a wonderful country we live in, let those that break the law away with it and let those that abide by the law pay for the law breakers.

Youv always been getting f***ed over by law breakers. Look at the woman living in her council house claming benefits to beat the band saying shes a single parent but the boyfriend is living with her.

Im sick of being f***ed over by cheats and liars. no more of my money is going to fund this sh**e.
    Its not about demands or speeches or telling people what to do. You are saying he is wrong for not paying his charge or tax in Portugal arent you?
    Hes wrong to not pay his charge and then come over here and tell us to pay, its completely ilogical to think that he could get away with it.

• Advertisement

Hijpo wrote: »
    Youv always been getting f***ed over by law breakers. Look at the woman living in her council house claming benefits to beat the band saying shes a single parent but the boyfriend is living with her.

Im sick of being f***ed over by cheats and liars. no more of my money is going to fund this sh**e.

So if you cant beat them join them then?

Hes wrong to not pay his charge and then come over here and tell us to pay, its completely ilogical to think that he could get away with it.

Of course he is wrong not to pay it, just as its wrong for people here not to pay it, but when these same people call him a hypocrite well thats just hypocritical of them.

The only people that can really give out about him not paying his charges are those that have paid their charges here. Everyone else would be deemed to be a hypocrite.

Isnt it also illogical for someone to say he is wrong for not paying his charges but its right for me not to pay mine?

Of course he is wrong not to pay it, just as its wrong for people here not to pay it, but when these same people call him a hypocrite well thats just hypocritical of them.

The only people that can really give out about him not paying his charges are those that have paid their charges here. Everyone else would be deemed to be a hypocrite.

Isnt it also illogical for someone to say he is wrong for not paying his charges but its right for me not to pay mine?

Its never right for anyone not to pay charges, if the circumstances of the charge are legitimate and fair and if the people asking you to pay it also pay there own. He said hes not happy with his services, neither are we. Whats good for the goose.
    So if you cant beat them join them then?

Its on a completely different scale in fairness. Im not lying my way to an easier living, i simply cannot see any point in supplying the government with more money to keep a broken system running.

Its never right for anyone not to pay charges, if the circumstances of the charge are legitimate and fair and if the people asking you to pay it also pay there own. He said hes not happy with his services, neither are we. Whats good for the goose.

So people that havent paid their HHC cant really complain about Phil not paying his own, they are in fact just as bad as one another. So those that say he is this or that are actually saying they are this and that...
    Its on a completely different scale in fairness. Im not lying my way to an easier living, i simply cannot see any point in supplying the government with more money to keep a broken system running.

Its not really that different one is defrauding the government and the other is deliberately not paying their taxes, a crime is still a crime regardless of the amount of money involved. Or to put it another way its ok for me to break the law if it costs the government €100 because your one down the road is breaking it too but costing them €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Unfortunately those that have leeched everything do get everything for nothing or for the bare minimum, however if you gave me the option to be a leech or to work for what I have I will choose to work for what I have.

Granted I may not have as much as the leech or as much disposable income as the leech but at least I will be happy that what I have done is the right thing to do, plus I will always assume the leech is less well off than me despite the fact they may have more money at the end of the week. Plus if I ever have kids they will end up better off having seen me making my own way in the world instead of doing nothing but living on handouts.

It does p1ss me off to see people do nothing and get everything but I just realise that I prefer doing things my way than that way.

Just hold the phone a minute. Come back to me with the attitude that you have now, whenever you do have a few kids, and I will pay everything in the way of charges that they throw at me.

So people that havent paid their HHC cant really complain about Phil not paying his own, they are in fact just as bad as one another. So those that say he is this or that are actually saying they are this and that...

We wouldnt be complaining if he didnt come to ireland threatening people to pay a charge that he refuses to pay, it doesnt matter what country it is in the principles are the same. He wont pay because hes not happy with the services, we (well i anyway) are not paying because we are not happy with the services provided and were not happy about whos being charged for the services.

Its not really that different one is defrauding the government and the other is deliberately not paying their taxes, a crime is still a crime regardless of the amount of money involved. Or to put it another way its ok for me to break the law if it costs the government €100 because your one down the road is breaking it too but costing them €200.

It would be only right that i speak for myself in this respect. I have a valid case for not paying this charge, all other taxes and charges that i am liabel for i pay. the others have no case for defrauding the government just as the quinns had no case in hidding there assets. Now my more of my income is being taken to deal with the up keep of council houses on one side and the government trying to bail out there bank executive buddies on the other.
    When do i stop taking the hit? When i refuse to give them more money. Sort out the excessive spending.

We wouldnt be complaining if he didnt come to ireland threatening people to pay a charge that he refuses to pay, it doesnt matter what country it is in the principles are the same. He wont pay because hes not happy with the services, we (well i anyway) are not paying because we are not happy with the services provided and were not happy about whos being charged for the services.

It would be only right that i speak for myself in this respect. I have a valid case for not paying this charge, all other taxes and charges that i am liabel for i pay. the others have no case for defrauding the government just as the quinns had no case in hidding there assets. Now my more of my income is being taken to deal with the up keep of council houses on one side and the government trying to bail out there bank executive buddies on the other.
    When do i stop taking the hit? When i refuse to give them more money. Sort out the excessive spending.

My point is that people can't complain about him not paying his charges when they don't pay theirs.

Do you think its fair to ask people that have paid the hhc to pay more now for those that didn't bother their hole paying it.

Nobody has a valid case for not paying this charge especially now that those that paid it are going to be penalized because others haven't.

darkhorse wrote: »
    Unfortunately those that have leeched everything do get everything for nothing or for the bare minimum, however if you gave me the option to be a leech or to work for what I have I will choose to work for what I have.

Granted I may not have as much as the leech or as much disposable income as the leech but at least I will be happy that what I have done is the right thing to do, plus I will always assume the leech is less well off than me despite the fact they may have more money at the end of the week. Plus if I ever have kids they will end up better off having seen me making my own way in the world instead of doing nothing but living on handouts.

It does p1ss me off to see people do nothing and get everything but I just realise that I prefer doing things my way than that way.

Just hold the phone a minute. Come back to me with the attitude that you have now, whenever you do have a few kids, and I will pay everything in the way of charges that they throw at me.

Of course you will.

absolutly not, i dont think you should be penalised for paying because others didnt pay. But i also think people shouldnt have rushed into registering and handover 100 quid just because some shadey characters that lied there way to the top say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

dvpower wrote: »
    Yeah....cut spending to year 2000 levels...

Question....how will revenue collect this?....how will they compile a list of who owns what....they will still need us to co-operate and supply info....and IF they do ever manage to get this up and running, will they also be deducting it at source from social welfare payments? ...We can all see where this is going....nowhere fast!
    Hogan said in Donegal yesterday the plan along was for revenue to collect the property tax, which means it will be taken at source from peoples wages/welfare- there's only one problem there- there's still hundreds of thousands not registered-they might go through esb bills data to get peoples names at different addresses-but someones name on a esb won't prove someone owns a property-so as to how they Intend to get proof of property ownership for hundreds of thousands not registered I don't know. Im imagine the details for everyone that registered will be passed onto revenue so it will def be deducted at source from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

They keep changing their threats. Front line Council services in Galway will be affected because of the short fall in the collection of house hold charge. God that will leave some void where I live. No potholes filled in, hedges not cut , have to get private company to collect my bins and another one to empty my septic tank. Hang on !! this is what has been happening where I live all along. How will I adjust oh god the end is nigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

Just in relation to LA housing. I was chatting to a single mother there a couple of months back, early 20's, doesn't work, 2 kids, no father on the scene although he's paying maintenance. She was given a nice house in a very nice part of the country. Of course wouldn't be liable for this charge, however, as we were talking she told me about the €3,000 she spent on presents for her family and friends that Christmas :eek: If they've that kind of money lying around the place, there's something very wrong and could well afford to pay this charge as well.

No. Not exactly wrong for not paying his charges or taxes. BUT he is guilty of demanding that people with similar reasons to his pay theirs. That's just hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Just in relation to LA housing. I was chatting to a single mother there a couple of months back, early 20's, doesn't work, 2 kids, no father on the scene although he's paying maintenance. She was given a nice house in a very nice part of the country. Of course wouldn't be liable for this charge, however, as we were talking she told me about the €3,000 she spent on presents for her family and friends that Christmas :eek: If they've that kind of money lying around the place, there's something very wrong and could well afford to pay this charge as well.

that's the FF/FG way, those in the middle do all the work, while those at the top and the bottom reap the rewards.

My point is that people can't complain about him not paying his charges when they don't pay theirs.

Do you think its fair to ask people that have paid the hhc to pay more now for those that didn't bother their hole paying it.

Nobody has a valid case for not paying this charge especially now that those that paid it are going to be penalized because others haven't.

were people not advised by others here to boycott this hhc ?....anybody who registered / paid the hhc have only themselves to blame, I have no sympathy, There is not a hope in hell that this will be extended to everyone by the start of 2013, only those who have registered.
    Obviously, all who paid can afford a property tax but more importantly they believed all the lies and threats and by registering they have now given their consent to the gubberment to tax them accordingly....local services my arse !....not a nice feeling when somebody else is paying for everything is it guys ?....... this feeling of being supported could grow on me...hmmmmm..... I may even decide to go all the way, sell the car, pack in the job, go on the dole, LA housing, rent allowance, mecical card etc and have more money in my pocket at the end of the week than I currently do ?.....wasn't this our arguement all along to the pro tax brigade ?

that's the FF/FG way, those in the middle do all the work, while those at the top and the bottom reap the rewards.
    EQUALITY....Irish style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

EQUALITY....Irish style
    They even it out with the whinging.

dvpower wrote: »
    They even it out with the whinging.
    are you calling the government whingers ? lol...very childish comment DV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Has anyone gotten any letters as of yet relating to non payment ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Am Chile wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten any letters as of yet relating to non payment ?

Still nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement