Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Ghandee wrote: »
    They might say if people didn't run with their pants down to pay a charge this year, without knowing what they'd be charged next year almost immediately when the govt asked, Instead of standing together, refusing to cooperate, at least until the problems we already have (overspending, wastage, ineffective overpaid workers, bloated multi-pension entitlements, vrt, etc etc) had been tackled, and fixed, deserve to pay twice.

Not having a go at you Donal, but only by standing together and demanding the system gets fixed, instead of fueling a broken one would have been the sensible thing to do.

I would love to hear one of them telling someone not to pay it, I could see them at a protest they organise telling the 3 people there not to pay the HHC but that by not doing so they will probably have to pay more income tax next year provided the 3 are employed of course.

So basically the tax compliant and law abiding deserve to pay twice for the people that break the laws of the country. Or in other words crime does pay in this place.

Hijpo wrote: »
    CAHWT would more than likely be on your side and campaign against them making people pay twice. If there was, would you campaign against increased income tax in order to collect payments?

the government has not done anything that warrants CAHWT reacting to it. The topic of HHC as a whole has become quiet dormant.

No I wouldnt campaign against it, however I would campaign against those that havent paid it if one such campaign was started.

I do agree with the HHC becoming dormant, the whole anti campaign has collapsed miserably, they seem to have given up or have just stopped caring or maybe just become lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

donalg1 wrote: »
    No I wouldnt campaign against it, however I would campaign against those that havent paid it if one such campaign was started.

I do agree with the HHC becoming dormant, the whole anti campaign has collapsed miserably, they seem to have given up or have just stopped caring or maybe just become lazy.

Lack of registering and paying is protesting enough for lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

CAHWT would more than likely be on your side and campaign against them making people pay twice. If there was, would you campaign against increased income tax in order to collect payments?

the government has not done anything that warrants CAHWT reacting to it. The topic of HHC as a whole has become quiet dormant.

until everyone has paid, the campaign is still taking action. In contrast to what the government has to do to get people to register and pay and what people have to do to avaoid it makes the campaign pretty easy to uphold.

and now you have citizens offering to campain against citizens. this country is rightly f**ked.
    i can just see big phil now
    "pass me another plate of lobster meat and a pint of champagne enda, this is going to get good"

"but you dont eat lobster and hate champagne phil"

"so? im not paying for it enda hahahah"

while your there shoveling your money into the boiler on the gravey train.

Lack of registering and paying is protesting enough for lots.

Thats just a lazy protest though and doesnt have any chance of succeeding.

• Advertisement

Thats just a lazy protest though and doesnt have any chance of succeeding.

It has succeeded Donal.

Just over 50% have registered (if you believe the govt)
    Hence why they're looking at alternative ways of collecting the money.

until everyone has paid, the campaign is still taking action. In contrast to what the government has to do to get people to register and pay and what people have to do to avaoid it makes the campaign pretty easy to uphold.

and now you have citizens offering to campain against citizens. this country is rightly f**ked.
    i can just see big phil now
    "pass me another plate of lobster meat and a pint of champagne enda, this is going to get good"

"but you dont eat lobster and hate champagne phil"

"so? im not paying for it enda hahahah"

while your there shoveling your money into the boiler on the gravey train.

Yeah I am shovelling money in to the boiler to pay for those that break the law basically covering the money that others wont pay despite the fact they are most likely better off than me.

Most people wont have supported the HHC and wont have liked paying it, however if they are going to be asked to pay more because others have refused to pay it, they wont be at all happy about it, but it wont be the governments fault that they are paying more, so they would only really have those that havent paid it to blame for them paying more.

It has succeeded Donal.

Just over 50% have registered (if you believe the govt)
    Hence why they're looking at alternative ways of collecting the money.

It has succeeded has it? I thought the purpose of the campaign was to get the HHC scrapped, so are you telling me that the HHC has been scrapped then?

So your pissed of because other people refused to make a rash decision like you did?? :confused:

You are told daily of all the things they do wrong with the running of the country, all the things wrong that tax payers money is funding but some people make a stand and refuse to give €100 more and you think they are the ones to blame? :confused:

If you are to think along those lines, neither side has been successful but when you factor in the variables and time frame the government has alot more to loose in the next year or two than the CAHWT campaign

So your pissed of because other people refused to make a rash decision like you did?? :confused:

You are told daily of all the things they do wrong with the running of the country, all the things wrong that tax payers money is funding but some people make a stand and refuse to give €100 more and you think they are the ones to blame? :confused:

If you are to think along those lines, neither side has been successful but when you factor in the variables and time frame the government has alot more to loose in the next year or two than the CAHWT campaign

Well the cahwt campaign have already lost though, the charge hasnt been scrapped.

I wouldnt think it was a rash decision either I had more than three months to consider it.

Of course they are the ones to blame. The Govt will now raise income tax to cover the money that those havent paid, so obviously those that havent paid are to blame.

• Advertisement

Well the cahwt campaign have already lost though, the charge hasnt been scrapped.

I wouldnt think it was a rash decision either I had more than three months to consider it.

Of course they are the ones to blame. The Govt will now raise income tax to cover the money that those havent paid, so obviously those that havent paid are to blame.

So has the government, a hell of a lot of people still havent paid and we are well past the deadline. Like others have said, when people see how much all the charges for water and property taxes will amount to you will see a huge turn around.

lol, lets be honest you took three months to see what others were doing and decided to follow them ;)

the income tax was going up in the budget anyway. Do you think they would leave income tax alone if everyone paid?

Why should you, a home owner that costs the LA pittance in comparison to a welfare fraudster, fork out more money to the LA so the chap in his council house can have his house painted and repaired at no additional cost to him. Where as if you had to do it everything would have to be paid for with your own earnings.

The people that paid are there own worst enemy. If the government had any thought for the people that did pay, they wouldnt be trying to hit you twice for it. Just goes to show what they think of you for being honest and doing your good deed. The more you give the more they want.

So has the government, a hell of a lot of people still havent paid and we are well past the deadline. Like others have said, when people see how much all the charges for water and property taxes will amount to you will see a huge turn around.

lol, lets be honest you took three months to see what others were doing and decided to follow them ;)

the income tax was going up in the budget anyway. Do you think they would leave income tax alone if everyone paid?

Why should you, a home owner that costs the LA pittance in comparison to a welfare fraudster, fork out more money to the LA so the chap in his council house can have his house painted and repaired at no additional cost to him. Where as if you had to do it everything would have to be paid for with your own earnings.

The people that paid are there own worst enemy. If the government had any thought for the people that did pay, they wouldnt be trying to hit you twice for it. Just goes to show what they think of you for being honest and doing your good deed. The more you give the more they want.

I never waited to see what others were doing before I paid, I waited until I had the €100 together and paid it then, what others did had no bearing on what I did or ever do. I make decisions for me and me alone.

The whole welfare system is a load of crap and yes it annoys me that people get pretty much everything for free and still turn around and ask what else they can have. This is unfair I agree with you there but again this has nothing to do with my decisions regarding what I do or dont do. .

Of course I would love to see those in LA housing pay a similiar charge as those that have bought their own house and have never relied on the state for anything, but I dont think that is ever going to happen. At best they may have all the benefits they receive from the CWO stopped such as grants for paint and flooring to kit out their LA houses but again I am probably dreaming that this would happen and will never see it come true.

so you just pay up and get on with it, even though all that bothers you?

so you just pay up and get on with it, even though all that bothers you?

Exactly sure it is the law after all and I can't be selective about which ones I do or don't obey

• Registered Users Posts: 51,759 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Exactly sure it is the law after all and I can't be selective about which ones I do or don't obey
    A very cowardly thing to do. Stand up for what you believe in. You will feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

Hi, if you haven't payed the household charge yet, did you recieve your threatening letter. Seems nobody I talk to did- and a hell of a lot of people I ask did not pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

hiram wrote: »
    Hi, if you haven't payed the household charge yet, did you recieve your threatening letter. Seems nobody I talk to did- and a hell of a lot of people I ask did not pay...

How many is a hell of a lot? Nearly a million had paid a week ago so statistically your little private poll should have been 50/50 60/40 territory.

14000 paid in the first three weeks of July following the first batch of letters being issued.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0723/1224320625512.html

How many is a hell of a lot? Nearly a million had paid a week ago so statistically your little private poll should have been 50/50 60/40 territory.

14000 paid in the first three weeks of July following the first batch of letters being issued.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0723/1224320625512.html

So 103,000 letters were sent out and 14,000 paid.
    89,000 people who received letters didn't pay despite the threats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

So 103,000 letters were sent out and 14,000 paid.
    89,000 people who received letters didn't pay despite the threats.
    Em, no. 14000 paid within a week

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    Em, no. 14000 paid within a week

And there was I thinking that the s*** was scared out of everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

hiram wrote: »

No.......... and this makes me doubt the figures released by the government.

mikom wrote: »
    No.......... and this makes me doubt the figures released by the government.

Doubt what exactly?

Figures that have 'paid'
    Amount of letters sent out?
    Morally wrong to tax a persons home.

All of the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Doubt what exactly?

Figures that have 'paid'
    Amount of letters sent out?

Both.

Morally wrong to tax a persons home.

Shur even Edna Kenny knows that...

A very cowardly thing to do. Stand up for what you believe in. You will feel better.

So abiding by laws is cowardly now is it? And what is breaking the law, is that brave and cool?

I will feel better by spending more money than I need to, eh I dont think so. :rolleyes:

I suppose the government are always spending more and claiming more for them selfs than they need to, the only problem is its costing me and you extra for them to have there perks and laughs.

Time to say enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I suppose the government are always spending more and claiming more for them selfs than they need to, the only problem is its costing me and you extra for them to have there perks and laughs.

Time to say enough is enough.
    Are you aware that we have a budget deficit? Of an order that would require an additional tax contribution of about €10,000 per worker per year, were it to be eliminated by tax hikes alone?

Do you really think these austere measures of the last 4 years are solely about enhancing the gravy train for politicians?

So abiding by laws is cowardly now is it? And what is breaking the law, is that brave and cool?

I will feel better by spending more money than I need to, eh I dont think so. :rolleyes:

No. BUT abiding by something you know is morally wrong and have misgivings about is not very brave at all. It's like being a reluctant witness i.e. " I saw him break the window but i'm afraid of him and I don't want to tell the owner in case it gets me in trouble with that big bully".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

lugha wrote: »
    Are you aware that we have a budget deficit? Of an order that would require an additional tax contribution of about €10,000 per worker per year, were it to be eliminated by tax hikes alone?

Do you really think these austere measures of the last 4 years are solely about enhancing the gravy train for politicians?[/QUOTE]

YES, AND BONDHOLDERS.:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

No. BUT abiding by something you know is morally wrong and have misgivings about is not very brave at all. It's like being a reluctant witness i.e. " I saw him break the window but i'm afraid of him and I don't want to tell the owner in case it gets me in trouble with that big bully".

Where did I say its morally wrong? Is it not wrong to break the law?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement