Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

lugha wrote: »
    Are you aware that we have a budget deficit? Of an order that would require an additional tax contribution of about €10,000 per worker per year, were it to be eliminated by tax hikes alone?

yes, very aware.

Do you really think that government wastes and rediculous wages help with the deficit?
    they dont seem to give two f**ks aslong as they have the worker to tap for the extra few quid leaving themselfs alone.

Im paying enough for the services i use, now bugger off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

donalg1 wrote: »
    Where did I say its morally wrong? Is it not wrong to break the law?

The thing is, you come across as being a supporter of the people thats presently in power from the majority of your posts. Having said that, one would assume that you are in agreement with the present leader of the country when he said "morally wrong to tax a persons home"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,759 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

darkhorse wrote: »
    The thing is, you come across as being a supporter of the people thats presently in power from the majority of your posts. Having said that, one would assume that you are in agreement with the present leader of the country when he said "morally wrong to tax a persons home"

I was just going to post something similar to donal1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

No I never said I support FG and if this is what you infer from my posts, then I have to say you are wrong.

The only thing I know about that quote is it was said in 1994, which is irrelevant to today's situation as I have stated previously when someone posts that quote.

No I never said I support FG and if this is what you infer from my posts, then I have to say you are wrong.

The only thing I know about that quote is it was said in 1994, which is irrelevant to today's situation as I have stated previously when someone posts that quote.

Yeah, it's irrelevant now that they are no longer in opposition, like all their other quotes and promises.
    I did say, btw, that one would assume that you support e.k. & co. But if ya don't, no big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

YES, AND BONDHOLDERS.

Well it had been pointed out clearly, many times that this is simply not true so there is probably little point in saying it again …..

But I will. :) One more time, with feeling! Had there been no problems with banks, bond holders and the rest we would still be in almighty mess because boom time income streams collapsed leading to a massive deficit. Bondholders are only a small part of the problem. Do you actually dispute this?
    Hijpo wrote: »
    yes, very aware.
    Good.
    Do you really think that government wastes and rediculous wages help with the deficit?

Are you suggesting that if we eliminate waste and reduce excessive wages our problems will be solved? If so then I’m afraid you do not appreciate the depths of our problems.
    Im paying enough for the services i use, now bugger off.

I can certainly bugger off if it pleases you. But the deficit will not. Sooner or later reality will have to be faced.

Are you suggesting that if we eliminate waste and reduce excessive wages our problems will be solved? If so then I’m afraid you do not appreciate the depths of our problems

No, im sure there would still be a deficit but is the avarage private sector home owner the cause of most of it? i bloody well doubt it.

Well it had been pointed out clearly, many times that this is simply not true so there is probably little point in saying it again …..

But I will. :) One more time, with feeling! Had there been no problems with banks, bond holders and the rest we would still be in almighty mess because boom time income streams collapsed leading to a massive deficit. Bondholders are only a small part of the problem. Do you actually dispute this?

Good.

Are you suggesting that if we eliminate waste and reduce excessive wages our problems will be solved? If so then I’m afraid you do not appreciate the depths of our problems.

I can certainly bugger off if it pleases you. But the deficit will not. Sooner or later reality will have to be faced.

No, I cannot dispute it. Bondholders, like anybody else, are not going to turn around and refuse to take money. In fact, I have heard a few economists say in the past that the bondholders did'nt expect to get such a windfall from the Irish coffers. No, it was our leaders, one of which actually told us all on national television
    you know the rest.
    Well, the govt. had to get the money from somewhere to pay them. Yes, they are relatively a smaller part of the problem, but that being the case, why could they not have been paid at a future time, after we got out of this quagmire. When the govt. were looking for the submissions of ideas to try and get us out of this mess a bit quicker, my suggestion was to use the money to try get some employment going and some people back to work, instead of paying the bondholders so soon.
    I guess they did'nt think it was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

No, im sure there would still be a deficit but is the avarage private sector home owner the cause of most of it? i bloody well doubt it.
    This is simply the old chestnut that the people did not cause the problem so they should not have to pay for it.

That is fine, if exaggerated, as a moral argument. But at some point you have to face the reality that the people, in one form or another, will have to fix this problem as there is no other option.

You might as well use the argument that it wasn't your fault that a freak storm destroyed your house as an excuse not to deal with the desperate situation you would find yourself in. But sooner or later you will have to.

You might as well use the argument that it wasn't your fault that a freak storm destroyed your house as an excuse not to deal with the desperate situation you would find yourself in. But sooner or later you will have to.

I wouldnt expect you to allow me to kick back in your gaff and drag your financial situation (that im sure you were very careful with) into the gutter, while you went to work and paid for everything either.

i will pay my way when i feel i owe something to the government. 8 years im paying taxes and charges and levies and any other pie the government have there little fingers in for a few quid. I was out of work for 9 months during that 8 years, when i was let go. Im now on 3 month contracts here and there, if i get let go again i dont know where ill get work because waterford is a sh** bucket with no jobs that will provide me with enough money to, at the very keast, keep the wolves from the door. My job seekers allowance/benefit or whatever stupid grey area titled bo**ox they decide to put me on will eventually run out, on my partners wage alone there is not a hope in hell we will pay bills and raise our 2 kids.

So excuse me if id rather save for that rainy day by keeping my money in my own coffers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Where did I say its morally wrong? Is it not wrong to break the law?

If it were anyone else I might take this post seriously but then you realise it is coming from someone who broke the law in another jurisdiction. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

While it's true that we would have had a rising fiscal deficit and a rising debt without the banking crisis, I don't agree that the banking crisis and repaying the bank bondholders was "only a small part of the problem"

The banking crisis has cost us 62.8 bn, of which we borrowed approx 40bn, and paid for the rest with the NPRF.

Our fiscal debt is about 190bn this year, so the banking crisis has cost an awful lot.

But yes, even with no banking crisis, a property tax is necessary and a good idea anyways.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If it were anyone else I might take this post seriously but then you realise it is coming from someone who broke the law in another jurisdiction. LOL

I think you are mixing donal1 up with Alestair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Leave Donal alone, once his conscious-wrestling is over he is going to join us in the light for our galactic war against the Republic.

use the Force Donal.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Eh what are you actually talking about?

I think you should take my post seriously!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

Been following this thread since part 1 , great Craic,

I find it hard to believe that some people have actually passed there details on and paid 100e to do so,

It's not a tax, we the people were not consulted about it, I do not think its enforceable,

As for the services ?

If I pay the 100e plus paltry late fines, will I be able to leave my multiple bins out without expensive tickets on them for collection ?

Will a bus stop magically appear near my house with a regular service?

If fact will things be as **** as they are now?

And next year when it rises via the home owning idiot tax, and you drink poisonous fluoridated water tax, will the bins be collected free gratis and will the taxable life essential h2o be fluoride free, will I be able to catch a bus near my/used to be mine home to pay said taxes ?

Wake up and tell them to **** off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ghandee wrote: »
    Whats the story with all the quotes getting ballsed up this AM????

Only for people who don't pay / can't pay /actually can but are too miserable to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Good to be back from the holidays (thanks dv), refreshed and ready to go.
    Not a lot has happened here since I've been away, same old story from the pro-taxers with no other ideas.
    It's a bit like groundhog day.

Anyway, it's been a month and I still haven't registered, still haven't paid and won't pay a tax that discriminates against me.

I can't wait until the real battle starts soon when they try to bring in the property tax.

We've all seen the fcuk up they've made of the registration process, watching them try to bring in the tax proper will be a bundle of laughs altogether.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Leave Donal alone, once his conscious-wrestling is over he is going to join us in the light for our galactic war against the Republic.

use the Force Donal.;)

I have my eye on a "fatted calf" for donal1's homecoming. He's running around a field in Kilkenny at the moment but i have him in my sights. We'll roast him on a spit.

I have my eye on a "fatted calf" for donal1's homecoming. He's running around a field in Kilkenny at the moment but i have him in my sights. We'll roast him on a spit.

Donal's ok, he's a sensible guy.
    He'll join us eventually....

• Advertisement

How are you tayto? haven't heard from you in a while.;)

gerryo777 wrote: »
    How are you tayto? haven't heard from you in a while.;)

Grand thanks. Still got my 100e in my a*s* pocket.

Me too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hope there's a zip on that pocket or Donalg or Alastair will have that €100 away & give it to the government.

All this talk of paying for services yet the local council here is short staffed yet they piss away money hiring contractors at extortionate rates to half do jobs that the council themselves can do instead of employing a few men long term.

Plus the health service among others have taken to hiring people on FAS/CE schemes to do work at no cost to them,we the taxpayer are funding this through social welfare payments.An embargo on hiring staff yet no problems going to FAS looking for cheap labour,no sign of needing the €100 charge to fund that.

"Cut's to services" while they get cheap labour to carry out the work? Something is wrong with that picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Donal's ok, he's a sensible guy.
    He'll join us eventually....

Welcome back from the wild Gerry:D

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Welcome back from the wild Gerry:D

Thanks, bgrizz.
    Terrible when certain posters run to the mods all the time.

I'll have to mind my p's and q's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

View Poll Results: Did you pay the household charge?

Yes
    27.08%

This thread is very unrepresentative of the actual position.

Yes
    27.08%

of ireland or board members?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Been following this thread since part 1 , great Craic,

I find it hard to believe that some people have actually passed there details on and paid 100e to do so,

It's not a tax, we the people were not consulted about it, I do not think its enforceable,

As for the services ?

If I pay the 100e plus paltry late fines, will I be able to leave my multiple bins out without expensive tickets on them for collection ?

Will a bus stop magically appear near my house with a regular service?

If fact will things be as **** as they are now?

And next year when it rises via the home owning idiot tax, and you drink poisonous fluoridated water tax, will the bins be collected free gratis and will the taxable life essential h2o be fluoride free, will I be able to catch a bus near my/used to be mine home to pay said taxes ?

Wake up and tell them to **** off

Exactly, my place is rented out now but in a bit of a rural area. I've to pay a local service to maintain the estate. There's 4 buses a day. I've never seen any public work being carried out around the area, any services are privatised.

Let them go fúck themselves then fúck off indeed. Oh and yeah the water is a bit horrible to taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Yes
    27.08%

I wonder is the propaganda true. I found it very hard to believe the quick uptake given most people I know havent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement