Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

lugha wrote: »

BTW: How if at all, would you tax the super rich, who are wealthy by virtue of extensive property, if no tax should be levied until they come to sell some of their property?

Yes, tax hard pressed families on their only property, their family home, as a way of getting the super rich to pay on their multiple properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I can just imagine Paul McSweeney doing an ad on tv: "Every time I click my fingers a street light goes out,just €100 of your money can help save a street light.Donate today & save our lights".

Feck off Paul you eejit.

The government are starting to sound like those bloody chuggers now,trying to guilt trip us into paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    Yet another Local Authority funded service you didn't know you were getting.

Not me, I'm not receiving any community run centre services, whatever they may be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    the govt. are getting desperate, the threats are coming thick and fast, 2013 is fast approaching !!....not a hope in hell they will have this sorted by January 2013. They have "expert" groups set up looking at everything from how to calculate the tax, how to collect it, legal implications etc...we are 4 months away from the start of the property tax and they have not even decided on how to calculate it !!!!!.....only in Ireland....well done our hard working efficient civil servants......you are all worth every penny of your excessive salary :):):)
    don't believe the govt. lies and threats.... they know they can not enforce this and if they did find a way to do it, it will take years.

can somebody here explain to me how a house is an asset?..... it costs me thousands, post tax ! to pay for and maintain every year....if anything I should be receiving a tax credit for providing my own home.....even if your home is not in negative equity it is still not an asset until you actually sell it and have the cash in the bank, until you sell your home it remains just a place to live......so having a place for you and your family to live in is now considered an asset in Ireland....great country we have here , long live equality !!

This supposed expert group has their report filed' phil hogan would of seen it by now-for some odd reason this report has being made available to the public as of yet-wonder why that it is-perhaps they know its not gonna be popular with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

This may have been covered already but has everyone who hasn't paid been sent a reminder?

We've had nothing here so far yet to read the newspaper reports they're saying the bailiffs are just round the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

Only thing for it Izzy is to move to a civilized country that does not have such backward notions about property tax! :pac: Send us a postcard will ya?

BTW: How if at all, would you tax the super rich, who are wealthy by virtue of extensive property, if no tax should be levied until they come to sell some of their property?

Where did I say we should tax the super rich ?.....where did I say we should tax them because they own many properties ?....I did not, I will put it this way, I don't care if someone is poor or very well off, neither should pay this property tax.

This may have been covered already but has everyone who hasn't paid been sent a reminder?

We've had nothing here so far yet to read the newspaper reports they're saying the bailiffs are just round the corner.

What newspaper had that article ? they will prob threaten is with the viper debt collection agency next .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

No. Reminders only went to about 100,000 people - multiple property owners.
    Am Chile wrote: »
    What newspaper had that article ?
    None. It was hyperbole.

Enough with this please.
    It is an asset.
    DV, it is not an asset, "expectation that it will provide future benefit. "....so they want to tax me on the possibility that i will sell my home at some time in the future?...."future benefit"...yeah, it will keep the rain off us tomorrow !

until it is paid for in full, another entity has a claim on my house, .... balance sheet item !!!.....are you for real ????....go away boy, and don't annoy me :mad:...

No. Reminders only went to about 100,000 people - multiple property owners.

None. It was hyperbole.

why didn't they say it was "multiple property owners" when they were sending out the first 100,000 imaginary letters, it is only an after thought isn't it ?...very handy....

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    I can just imagine Paul McSweeney doing an ad on tv: "Every time I click my fingers a street light goes out,just €100 of your money can help save a street light.Donate today & save our lights".

Feck off Paul you eejit.

The government are starting to sound like those bloody chuggers now,trying to guilt trip us into paying.

yeah, when they're desperate they will try anything...he he ....threatening us one week with the revenue inspectors, the next week they are appealing to people to pay, the following week it is back to threatening with court actions, then it's back to appealing by using street lights and community centres etc.!!.....next week is a threatening week I think ??:):)

DV, it is not an asset, "expectation that it will provide future benefit. "....so they want to tax me on the possibility that i will sell my home at some time in the future?...."future benefit"...yeah, it will keep the rain off us tomorrow !

until it is paid for in full, another entity has a claim on my house, .... balance sheet item !!!.....are you for real ????....go away boy, and don't annoy me :mad:...

It keeps the rain off you every day you live in it, no?

It keeps the rain off you every day you live in it, no?
    yes it does....your point please ?

Saw Paul mcsweeny on the nine o clock news threatening to bring people to court. found his profile on facebook earlier-
    but you can,t message him as he has the message option switched off.

http://www.facebook.com/paulmcsw

yes it does....your point please ?

... that's its an asset.

... that's its an asset.
    so is an umbrella....that keeps the rain off too....it's an asset....how about an umbrella ownership tax?....well ?

Saw Paul mcsweeny on the nine o clock news threatening to bring people to court. found his profile on facebook earlier-
    but you can,t message him as he has the message option switched off.

http://www.facebook.com/paulmcsw

he is a muppet of the highest order...good man Paul, keep up the threats...just remind me, who pays your wages ?

so is an umbrella....that keeps the rain off too....it's an asset..
    At last. The penny drops.

At last. The penny drops.
    great reply DV, it has exposed your level of intellect and your contempt for those who stand up for what they believe in ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Where did I say we should tax the super rich ?.....where did I say we should tax them because they own many properties ?....I did not, I will put it this way, I don't care if someone is poor or very well off, neither should pay this property tax.
    Fair enough. There are quite a few on the no side who think we can get out of the mess we are in by chasing the rich. If you are not in that crowd, fine and dandy.

And BTW, your home IS an asset, and a revenue generating one at that, even before you sell it. You can estimate the value of the revenue generated by determining what a similar house to yours in a similar location would cost to rent.

Or are you among the masses who think that because you are in effect, your own tenant, that the revenue generated by your property somehow doesn’t count?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

The threats have gotten even better- they re now even threatening to switch off street lights.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mcsweeney-pay-charge-or-street-lights-could-be-turned-off-563182.html

I'm ready. I have a dozen torches in the house.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

jasonb wrote: »
    Just a quick question. I didn't receive the 1st 'warning' letter, and now there's talk on Aertel of 2nd letters going out and the threat of Legal Proceedings. Did anyone else not get the 1st warning letter? Thanks...

J.

Hi JB

I didn't.

Fair enough. There are quite a few on the no side who think we can get out of the mess we are in by chasing the rich. If you are not in that crowd, fine and dandy.

And BTW, your home IS an asset, and a revenue generating one at that, even before you sell it. You can estimate the value of the revenue generated by determining what a similar house to yours in a similar location would cost to rent.

Or are you among the masses who think that because you are in effect, your own tenant, that the revenue generated by your property somehow doesn’t count?

Sorry Lugha, but that is a total pile of crap you are talking...I am paying more for my mortgage than I would be if I was renting so it is not "revenue generating" according to your definition...and don't bother with the line "after you pay off your mortgage you have a valuable asset in your home", if you use that line then what you are saying is that you should only be liable for the prop. tax when your mortgage is fully paid off !!....if that's the case then the govt. will have a wait !....PLUS, I will still need to pay insurance and any repairs and upkeep of my property regardless of my mortgage situation.

Your logic is seriously flawed .... how can you compare renting with a mortgage ?....what if I decided to live under a tent in the corner of a muck field, then by your logic, this would be considered an extremely valuable asset as it would be saving me thousands on renting or a mortgage ?...would my little tent be considered "revenue generating" !!! :):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

I'm very confused. Could you please explain to me how this works in the real world, where I am living, unfortunately.
    Let me give you the following example, which is 100% fact. I am paying €7,800 annually for my mortgage in a private estate. My Sister-in-Law, who lives in a similar build of a house in a county council estate, a mile away from me, pays €2,340 annually in rent.
    Could you just maybe do a few rough figures, say, multiply both of our respective outgoings by 20 years, to basically put a roof over our heads, if you get a chance, then tell me how the bloody hell that my house is possibly generating revenue. Also this saying "your own tenant", would'nt go dropping that in to the conversation down the pub.

Interesting Report about kildare council and household tax collection for the rest of the year.

Council has no hope of collecting unpaid
    household charges

KILDARE
    Co Council has no hope of collecting th

e remaining 45% of unpaid household
    charges within the next few months

because
    the council’s own database needs updating but the process of bringing it up to
    date will not be completed before the end of September – too late in terms of
    charges collection within the current year.

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/tabId/201/itemId/15702/Council-has-no-hope-of-collecting-unpaid-household.aspx

Two different reports in todays papers with threats for the second day in a row to switch off street lights along with threatening other areas too.

Street
    lights may have to be switched off and parks closed as "extreme measures" are
    taken by local authorities to balance budgets because of the non-payment of the
    household charge.

Roscommon
    mayor Tom Crosby said a number of grants and services are being suspended,
    including housing grants for elderly and disabled people. From tomorrow, all
    recycling sites will be closed and mobile libraries will stop. "The council has
    no alternative because the money is already stopped. We are in a very, very
    serious situation

Heres the Interesting part.

Cutting
    staff wages is not an option because they are protected under the Croke Park
    deal.

So in other words all the council managers who earn more then
    €100.000 per year their wages can,t be touched and reduced as of yet.
    COUNCILS
    may have to switch off street lights because of budget shortfalls linked to the
    non-payment of the household charge.

Councils
    must slash their spending by almost €70m before January 1, with mounting threats
    now being posed to libraries, parks, galleries and even street
    lighting.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/well-switch-off-street-lights-if-house-levy-isnt-paid-councils-3202379.html

So they re still €70 million off target meaning 700.000 properties still left to be registered or paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Two different reports in todays papers with threats for the second day in a row to switch off street lights along with threatening other areas too.

Heres the Interesting part.

So in other words all the council managers who earn more then
    €100.000 per year their wages can,t be touched and reduced as of yet.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/well-switch-off-street-lights-if-house-levy-isnt-paid-councils-3202379.html

So they re still €70 million off target meaning 700.000 properties still left to be registered or paid.

Unbelievable.

Lights will go off, parks, libaries and other services will be cut, they will take all these measures before the will slash the €100,000+ salaries of some of the bloated salaries of those at the top of the PS?

Reading pure greed and arrogance like that would churn your stomach tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

This made me LOL, and it's only 8.20am! How the hell can someone say that a house that a person lives in is a revenue generating asset? It has the POTENTIAL to generate revenue by renting it out (my car has a similar potential should I decide to become a taxi driver, but if I don't it's just a car that I drive from A to B) but how can anyone justify taxing a so-called asset on potential income that may be realised from it?

Also, if, as you say above is true and I am my own tennant (spurious statement but I'll play along) well then I pay myself precisely 0.00 Euro a year in rent. So let the government can tax me on this rental income any percentage that they feel fair, anything between 1 to 100% of this income. That comes to a grand total of 0 Euro that I am liable on this rental income. :D

As I've siad before on another thread, IMHO a primary home is an asset but one that only releases income (when not being rented mind) when it is sold. Of course we are back then to the argument about reliance on transactional taxes but that's a sperate argument for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ghandee wrote: »
    Unbelievable.

Lights will go off, parks, libaries and other services will be cut, they will take all these measures before the will slash the €100,000+ salaries of some of the bloated salaries of those at the top of the PS?

Reading pure greed and arrogance like that would churn your stomach tbh.

Sickening, isn't it?
    The services will be suspended but the people who roll out the services will still be paid, despite sitting on their arses doing nothing.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Sickening, isn't it?
    The services will be suspended but the people who roll out the services will still be paid, despite sitting on their arses doing nothing.
    It is sickening - services are being cut and those responsible, the tax evaders, are online trying to deflect responsibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement