Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

darkhorse wrote: »
    dvpower wrote: »
    You want government ticket inspectors installed at the gates of St. Stephen Green.

Well, as a matter of fact, YEAH, if its good enough for me to pay an extra tax on our family home, which I am already paying a hefty mortgage on.:mad::mad:

maybe the homeless could pay the tax......it is an asset to not have a mortgage.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

maybe the homeless could pay the tax......it is an asset to not have a mortgage.....

Yeah, you're right there. Apparently, it is also a streaming income generator to have a house, even if you're paying a huge mortage on it, but I have to say that I feel better than I did before I received this information. Oh, btw, the homeless are getting away with murder too, not having to fork out for anything. Surprised they were not hit for any sort of taxes, especially as they are using the benches that the councils have supplied.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

:eek:

And the druggies and flashers, their assets could be taxed at source,

The muggers can remain in the dail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

You want government ticket inspectors installed at the gates of St. Stephen Green.

You are the gift that keeps giving.:pac:

And you want government ticket inspectors installed at the gates of every home / asset owner in the republic, ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Good letter in yesterdays Irish examiner questioning the numbers being spun.

I am trying to find out how many local authority tenants registered for the household charge so they could be exempted from the charge?

I have good reason to believe these figures are being used as fact and added to the numbers that have ‘registered and paid’ when they have only just registered.

How many multiple properties under the one landlord are being counted as individual households when in fact they have only one owner? We all know how spin, confusion and misuse of facts are used to make a compelling argument.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/letters/stating-facts-on-household-charge-204396.html#.UC5ScLsGXm8.facebook

First point in the letter about local authority tenants, as some people in council estates have bought their homes they would have to pay-the people renting via local authority wouldn,t have to pay but they would still need to register to claim their waiver/excemption, there would be a signifigant amount of local authority tenants rob kitchen put the number at 129,033 in his report on the numbers- if most local authority tenants registered for a waiver, their registrations for the waiver would be Included in the household charge numbers that,s being spun.

http://irelandafternama.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/what-are-the-real-household-charge-numbers/

Second point in the letter about landlords with multiple properties-see my post the other day on it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80251084&postcount=2642

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

^^ Local Authority tenants (in common with any other tenants) don't have to register for exemption.
    So that number would be Zero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

This could be what saves the County. You are saving on rent and also saving on a mortgage by being homeless. This leaves you with substantial potential wealth savings.
    Throw a tax on this , call it the non residential potential asset charge NRPAC.
    Ze blueshirts could be on a winner

^^ Local Authority tenants (in common with any other tenants) don't have to register for exemption.
    So that number would be Zero

Not the information I was told when I rang my local council last december-I rang to enquire what waivers/excemptions apply regarding the household tax I was told by the council receptionist waivers/excemtions apply with the following council/local authority tenants, ghost estates,mortgage Interest relief, those with shared ownership,voluntary housing,and small few other categorys excemptions/waivers.

Am Chile wrote: »
    Not the information I was told when I rang my local council last december-I rang to enquire what waivers/excemptions apply regarding the household tax I was told by the council receptionist waivers/excemtions apply with the following council/local authority tenants, ghost estates,mortgage Interest relief, those with shared ownership,voluntary housing,and small few other categorys excemptions/waivers.

There are two possibilities:
    A. They gave you incorrect information.
    B. You misunderstood the information you were getting.

Most likely B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Ah dv, do you just sit waiting for someone on the no side to post so as you can insult them in your typical passive/aggressive way?

I suppose it's a different tact from you, normally it's deflection and answering a question posed with a series of questions.

LOL.

• Advertisement

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Ah dv, do you just sit waiting for someone on the no side to post so as you can insult them in your typical passive/aggressive way?

I suppose it's a different tact from you, normally it's deflection and answering a question posed with a series of questions.

LOL.
    Back from your most recent ban I see.

I predict that you won't last more than a couple of weeks before the next one. Maybe you can contain yourself this time from posting abuse on my profile page.

Back from your most recent ban I see.

I predict that you won't last more than a couple of weeks before the next one. Maybe you can contain yourself this time from posting abuse on my profile page.

Boo Hoo Hoo,
    I don't know how your still on here without getting a ban.
    Maybe it's because you keep running to the mods crying and getting others banned.

Being banned from boards.ie makes no difference to my life, reckon yours would be empty without it though.

Report that!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Mach Lei

vinb Alison O’Connor Mon 20/8/2012: Local government cuts & household charge

Tonight with Alison O’Connor

Panel line up as following.

Tom Crosby, Independent Cllr and Mayor Roscommon CC Roscommon County Council - Councillor Tom Crosby
    Marcella Corcoran Kennedy, FG TD Laois Offalyhttps://twitter.com/corcorankennedy
    Eoin Ó Broin, SF Ard Comhairle member, Activist ublin Mid Westhttps://twitter.com/EOBroin
    Brid Smith, People Before Profit Cllr Dublin Ballyfermot Drimnagh https://twitter.com/bridsmith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

we have lost our lovely little country to greed and ignorance

Mach Lei wrote: »
    vinb Alison O’Connor Mon 20/8/2012: Local government cuts & household charge

Tonight with Alison O’Connor

Panel line up as following.

Tom Crosby, Independent Cllr and Mayor Roscommon CC Roscommon County Council - Councillor Tom Crosby
    Marcella Corcoran Kennedy, FG TD Laois Offalyhttps://twitter.com/corcorankennedy
    Eoin Ó Broin, SF Ard Comhairle member, Activist ublin Mid Westhttps://twitter.com/EOBroin
    Brid Smith, People Before Profit Cllr Dublin Ballyfermot Drimnagh https://twitter.com/bridsmith

Well I think all we learned from tonight's show is that yer wan kennedy is as arrogant and cocky as the rest of the FG party.

It reminds me of FF when they were in power and making a balls of it while they were there.

They got their answer at the ballot box and FG would do well to remember that.

They're only there because there was no other option in the last election, 5 years can change a lot of things.

Enjoy the power trip while you can FG, it'll be 15 or 20 years before you get another shot at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,759 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I always though the double-barreled name thing was showy and arrogant. That one on Vincent Browne and Fidelma Healy Eames just proved it. Arrogance personified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Mach Lei

Marcella Corcoran Kennedy got most of the speaking time tonight on the show,Alison kept butting in when Brid Smith was talking, the sinn fein guy got very little speaking time, unfair and unbalanced show tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Valetta wrote: »
    Technically, or any other way, they don't own your house.

You own it.

Interesting enough im currently changing insurer for my house insurance and my current insurer, being the bank we have our mortgage with, sent out a letter stating the following

"As we have not yet recieved details of your current buildings insurance policy we have noted that your property is NOT insured. We hereby put you on notice that you may lose your home in the event of a fire or other insurable risk occuring while you remain uninsured"

Does this mean that the bank takes my house, that im supposed to own, if its damaged or that i lose the ability to live in my home if its damaged???

Yet another recent report yesterday about a landlord with multiple properties paying the household tax on them all.

ONE
    landlord has paid a staggering €120,000 in property taxes on
    400 houses and
    apartments they own, the Irish Independent has learned.

And
    new figures show such payments are not unique as top payers with multiple
    properties fork out on the double.

Seven
    landlords who each own more than 200 individual
    properties
    have stumped up €300 on each unit.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/one-landlord-pays-120000-in-property-tax-bill-for-400-homes-3203878.html

This is what the campaign and Rob Kitchen Director of the
    National Institute of Regional and Spatial Analysis and expert demographer of NUI Maynooth - have explained all along - A property does not equal a person - as not all properties are individually owned-as some people own mass amounts of property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

But it's great for spinning figures. Sure if they couldn't count multiples they.d be a laughing stock altogether...

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »
    But it's great for spinning figures. Sure if they couldn't count multiples they.d be a laughing stock altogether...

That's why this 'government' can't get anything right, they're dizzy from all the spinning.

Anyone see the guy on the other thread saying taxpayers get their water supply for free?

Spin, spin and more spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Hijpo wrote: »
    Valetta wrote: »
    Technically, or any other way, they don't own your house.

You own it.

Interesting enough im currently changing insurer for my house insurance and my current insurer, being the bank we have our mortgage with, sent out a letter stating the following

"As we have not yet recieved details of your current buildings insurance policy we have noted that your property is NOT insured. We hereby put you on notice that you may lose YOUR home in the event of a fire or other insurable risk occuring while you remain uninsured"

Does this mean that the bank takes my house, that im supposed to own, if its damaged or that i lose the ability to live in my home if its damaged???

Yes, because you would be in breach of your mortgage contract.

Note they said you may lose " your " home.

More spin regarding household tax figures.
    PRESS
    STATEMENT:

INDEPENDENT
    COUNCILLOR JOHN CAMPBELL

21/08/2012.

087-6574885
    ‘Figures
    for Household Charge Compliance Rate out by around 20% - Cllr.
    Campbell’

‘It’s
    a farce yet again, the figures Council officials are using over estimate
    registration by around 20% at least, they have based the compliance rate on dud
    figures produced by Minister Hogan’s office’ claims Cllr. John
    Campbell

The
    Mo

untcharles based Independent Councillor maintains that
    the council’s estimates of those liable to pay the household charge are
    intentionally flawed, claiming that upwards of 59% of people in Donegal still
    have not paid.
    ‘It’s just another part of this government’s ongoing campaign
    of intimidation; they’re trying to bully people into paying. If this inaccuracy
    has been repeated in every county then the majority of people across Ireland
    still have not paid, despite what the LGMA propagandist Paul McSweeney has been
    saying on radio all last week’ blasted Campbell.
    ‘Using the census the LGMA
    are counting all vacant properties, apart from holiday homes in the county as
    being exempt from the charge, but this doesn’t match the legislation or their
    own website. Their figure for exemptions is out by nearly 12,000’ explained
    Campbell.
    He continued saying, ‘this is more than just a simple error or
    oversight; it’s deliberately false. There are seven categories of properties
    listed on the website as being exempt, using CSO and Census data available on
    the Department’s own website I have come up with a more accurate figure without
    much hassle. This is proof if proof was needed that we can’t trust this
    government and that people have nothing to fear from the threatening letters
    being sent out. They are grossly incompetent.’
    Ind. Cllr. Campbell finished
    by issuing a challenge to Paul McSweeney of the LGMA to come on local radio and
    debate the figures with him.

ENDS

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=394500880605863&id=241201669269119

lets hope Lgma mouthpiece paul mcsweeny takes up the challenge and debates the figures with John on radio,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hijpo wrote: »

"As we have not yet recieved details of your current buildings insurance policy we have noted that your property is NOT insured. We hereby put you on notice that you may lose your home in the event of a fire or other insurable risk occuring while you remain uninsured"

It just means you wont have a house if it burns down, and the bank knows an owner wont have much interest in paying for a destroyed house.

So even if a person has no mortgage, and is uninsured, they may lose their house if a fire occured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

watching "tonight with Vincent Browne"......never heard so much b*llsh!t.....all the usual punchlines....my conclusion, we are f*cked !.....as if we didn't already know that !

Well I think all we learned from tonight's show is that yer wan kennedy is as arrogant and cocky as the rest of the FG party.

It reminds me of FF when they were in power and making a balls of it while they were there.

They're only there because there was no other option in the last election, 5 years can change a lot of things.

Enjoy the power trip while you can FG, it'll be 15 or 20 years before you get another shot at it!
    I always though the double-barreled name thing was showy and arrogant. That one on Vincent Browne and Fidelma Healy Eames just proved it. Arrogance personified.
    Marcella Corcoran Kennedy got most of the speaking time tonight on the show,Alison kept butting in when Brid Smith was talking, the sinn fein guy got very little speaking time, unfair and unbalanced show tonight.
    Izzy Skint wrote: »
    watching "tonight with Vincent Browne"......never heard so much b*llsh!t.....all the usual punchlines....my conclusion, we are f*cked !.....as if we didn't already know that !

Didn't see it, but by the sour grapes, it seems that the government side came out on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

Didn't see it, but by the sour grapes, it seems that the government side came out on top.
    YOUR side you mean ....

Having watched the vincent browne show last night-the fg representive Marcella contradicted herself on one hand she was speaking in support of household/property taxes ,then on the other hand in the second half of the show when talking about means testing via farmland and college grants, Marcella stated she was against such a system because someone could be asset rich but income poor- well duh the very same logic applies to single Individual homeowners someone could be asset rich but income poor, people might have paid off their off their mortgage be on low incomes or be on a pension have a house and not have sufficient income to pay a value based property tax.

I just seen this letter the roscommon council is sending out to people-it still seems they haven,t quite worked out whos paid who hasn,t paid-the letter below as follows.
    Re:The Household Charge

Dear Householder

We have decided to send this circular letter to each Householder in the County, in order to appeal to those Householders who have not yet registered for the Household Charge, to do so as a matter of urgency.We also wish to acknowledge that in excess of 14,000 Householders have already registered, and if you are one such Household, we would like to thank you.

All owners of residential property in Ireland are liable for the household charge on each residential property they own,as at 1st January 2012, with specific exceptions.
    We are to date, relying on Householders to self register.As you will be aware, payments made after 31st March last will incur penalties and late payment fees. The Household Charge Fund is critical to fund essential local services like,libraries,open spaces, leisure amenities, planning and development, fire and emergency services, maintenance and
    cleaning of streets, community supports and street lighting.These are all facilities that benefit our local communities.

Due to the low compliance levels of 56% in County Roscommon, your Council’s annual state grant has been potentially reduced by €1,744,995 for the year. As a consequence, we were obliged to cut back spending on a range of services,from housing maintenance to local roads, community grants, library services,amenities, litter control, the arts
    and land drainage. Further cutbacks are inevitable unless compliance dramatically improves. At a Special Meeting of Roscommon County Council held on the 8th August, the Elected Members passed a resolution calling on Householders to pay the Household Charge.

If it is the case that you have not registered for the Household Charge to date, we are requesting that you do so now in order to avoid further cuts to community services.

Payment can be made
    Online at: www.householdcharge.ie by credit/debit card.
    By Post: Forms available at www.householdcharge.ie or by emailing
    support@householdcharge.ie or from your local County Council Office.
    Euro Cheque/Bank Draft made payable to 'Household Charge' and post with form to:
    Household Charge, P.O. Box 12168, Dublin 1.
    http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Finance/Household_Charge_Letter/Household_Charge_Letter_15_August_2012.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Izzy Skint wrote: »

You really do love the government don't you??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement