Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

The carlow council it seems to threatening to curtail street cleaning now.

THERE
    are imminent fears that residents of Carlow town could find themselves wading
    through filth because the local authority cannot afford to keep cleaning the
    streets.

It
    is understood that Carlow Local Authority has been warned by minister for the
    environment Phil Hogan that its budget will be cut by almost €1 million because
    of the low level of household charge payments in the county.

A
    source has told The Nationalist that street cleaning was stopped last weekend
    following the government’s threat to slash the council’s budget, but town
    engineer Brian O’Donovan has denied that plans are in place to stop street
    cleaning on Saturday and Sunday mornings on an ongoing basis.

“No
    specific decision has been made,” insisted Mr O’Donovan.

“Any
    changes have to be agreed at council level. It would be inevitable that street
    cleaning will be affected – it is one of the larger spend areas.”
    I think in the longer term Hogans tactic of trying to create a divide among people by cutting funds to councils is gonna backfire-the people who have paid the household tax are probaly wondering to themselves why the f,u,c,k did I bother paying if there,s gonna be s,h,i,t,e services-one person who paid the household tax in carlow had this to say.

One
    regular library user who has paid his household charge fumed: “As someone who
    has paid, I am not amused that I, and people like me, are being doubly
    penalised.”

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/369/itemId/15874/Hogan-threatens-1m-cut-to-council-budget.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Am Chile wrote: »
    The carlow council it seems to threatening to curtail street cleaning now.

-I think in the longer term Hoagns tactic of trying to create a divide among people by cutting funds to councils is gonna backfire-the people who have paid the household tax are probaly wondering to themselves why the f,u,c,k did I bother paying if there,s gonna be s,h,i,t,e services-one person who paid the household tax in carlow had this to say.
    Say what yez like about Bertie, but at least he would came out and told us straight......"Listen, wor in the sh1t, we need yez all to givez a digout, til we get our country back".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

i lived in a private housing estate for 14 years and not once have i ever seen anyone pushing a cart picking up litter or a road sweeper driving passed the entrance of the estate. Yesterday i saw a chap with a bag and a gripper picking up litter. The councils are only now showing us what services we should be getting so they can now turn around and say pay the HHC or you'll loose them. Too little too late lads in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

dvpower wrote: »
    Didn't see it, but by the sour grapes, it seems that the government side came out on top.

It's worse your getting!

You probably would have been proud of the ignorance of the FG muppet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    Didn't see it, but by the sour grapes, it seems that the government side came out on top.

Definitely not DV.

Eoin Ó Broin in particular tied Marcella Corcoran Kennedy in knots.

Made her look quite silly tbh. Add to this, she used the exact phrase 'asset rich, but income poor' when defending means testing farmers.

That phrase has been used in objection to the hhc repeatedly here by those opposed to the tax on boards, and repeatedly shot down by those in defence of it.

If i was enda, I'd send someone else next time to fight his corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Ghandee wrote: »
    Definitely not DV.

Eoin Ó Broin in particular tied Marcella Corcoran Kennedy in knots.

Made her look quite silly tbh. Add to this, she used the exact phrase 'asset rich, but income poor' when defending means testing farmers.

That phrase has been used in objection to the hhc repeatedly here by those opposed to the tax on boards, and repeatedly shot down by those in defence of it.

If i was enda, I'd send someone else next time to fight his corner.
    Not one of the four posters that DV quoted addressed any argument on property tax made by the FG representative, the best they could do was point out that she had a double barrelled name! A subsequent poster did make a valid point about inconsistencies in her position and you have regurgitated that here (no doubt the gang of 4 will jump on this as well).

But based on their original points, or non-points rather, anyone who didn’t see the show (I was one) might reasonably conclude that the no side got a good going over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Hijpo wrote: »
    i lived in a private housing estate for 14 years and not once have i ever seen anyone pushing a cart picking up litter or a road sweeper driving passed the entrance of the estate. Yesterday i saw a chap with a bag and a gripper picking up litter. The councils are only now showing us what services we should be getting so they can now turn around and say pay the HHC or you'll loose them. Too little too late lads in fairness.

The town I grew up in used to have a cc worker there who actually cleaned up around until about the same time. since then, it has been fas workers and locals that keep the place looking some way tidy, same in most towns and villages I pass through every day.
    That same Town is raising money at the moment for a playground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

lugha wrote: »
    Not one of the four posters that DV quoted addressed any argument on property tax made by the FG representative, the best they could do was point out that she had a double barrelled name! A subsequent poster did make a valid point about inconsistencies in her position and you have regurgitated that here (no doubt the gang of 4 will jump on this as well).

But based on their original points, or non-points rather, anyone who didn’t see the show (I was one) might reasonably conclude that the no side got a good going over.

Quite a few alternative revenue raising exercises were proposed lugha.
    Including taxing the rich, a 0.01 % charge on all financial transactions going through the Irish ifsc (which would apparently easily raise 500m per year without really hurting anyone) and also a small reduction on county managers salaries.

She dismissed them all, conveniently enough.

You should watch the show, its on tv3 player.

Lot to be learnt by it tbh.

Including taxing the rich, a 0.01 % charge on all financial transactions going through the Irish ifsc (which would apparently easily raise 500m per year without really hurting anyone) and also a small reduction on county managers salaries.

That's a staggering figure. In that case 0.1% would raise 5 billion and that still seems a tiny charge

I think Peter Matthews let the cat out of the bag last night, and it's a good idea he proposed too.

His figures seem to state that a third rate of tax (5% extra on anyone earning over €120k) would bring in around €500 million.

Some sense from FG at last?

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »
    That's a staggering figure. In that case 0.1% would raise 5 billion and that still seems a tiny charge

A financial transactions tax will probably be europe wide soon enough anyway.
    We should try and get a head start on it and use it for our benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

gerryo777 wrote: »
    A financial transactions tax will probably be europe wide soon enough anyway.
    We should try and get a head start on it for our benefit.

Hi kr thought you were off?

donalg1 wrote: »
    Hi kr thought you were off?

:confused:

Ha brilliant.:D

Ha brilliant.:D

Have you anything to add to this thread?

Look at other hhc thread gerry

Have you anything to add to this thread?

I have plenty to add to it, only half as much as you though. ;)

Look at other hhc thread gerry

Yea, had a look at the last couple of pages of it.

Some strange thought processes going on there ok.

They must be getting really desperate now, mind you I see donal is the one saying we got free water services for years, not paid for by the taxpayer.

That's what your dealing with.:rolleyes:

Yea, had a look at the last couple of pages of it.

Some strange thought processes going on there ok.

They must be getting really desperate now, mind you I see donal is the one saying we got free water services for years, not paid for by the taxpayer.

That's what your dealing with.:rolleyes:

Ha ha. This gets better look kr I have said that some of the tax paid by the taxpayer probably ends up going towards LA services. I have also said there is no way of knowing if this portion of the tax paid actually goes towards water services or some other element of the LA's.

So as far as I am concerned the LA's have been providing me with free water. When I pay the water charges then it will no longer be free.

I am sure that the small percentage of my taxes that may have gone to the LA will not be anywhere near the amount required to run the treatment plant, make sure the water is safe to drink, and maintain and provide the pipes to my house. If you think the taxes you pay cover this and all the other services provided not just by the LA's because I am sure you are aware your taxes dont go solely to LA's, well thats up to you to think that.

Ok kr, and that is the last I will say on the matter as I cant be possibly have a discussion with someone who is into reregging.

I am sure that the small percentage of my taxes that may have gone to the LA will not be anywhere near the amount required to run the treatment plant, make sure the water is safe to drink, and maintain and provide the pipes to my house. If you think the taxes you pay cover this and all the other services provided not just by the LA's because I am sure you are aware your taxes dont go solely to LA's, well thats up to you to think that.

Even if you follow this thought process donal, any money that government or Las bring in independently ,belongs to us. Taxing of multinationals is our money, parking ticket fines our money. It's not the governments who are kindly doling out freebies to us.

• Advertisement

Even if you follow this thought process donal, any money that government or Las bring in independently ,belongs to us. Taxing of multinationals is our money, parking ticket fines our money. It's not the governments who are kindly doling out freebies to us.

Its not our taxes though is it, as in we dont pay for it, I for one cant say I have paid for the water I received this year, again maybe 1% of the taxes I paid made it to the water services department of my LA but who knows.

PS can you make sure the quotes are opened and closed as above, it makes it easier to see where my post ends and yours begins.

Its not our taxes though is it, as in we dont pay for it, I for one cant say I have paid for the water I received this year, again maybe 1% of the taxes I paid made it to the water services department of my LA but who knows.

PS can you make sure the quotes are opened and closed as above, it makes it easier to see where my post ends and yours begins.

They use our taxes to hire traffic wardens and the wardens create revenue. It's a return on our taxes. revenue from mineral resources, our money. Ireland belongs to you and me. Any money created as result of the decisions of our employees ie fg labour is our money. They might like to think they are our Masters handing out free sh1t, but they are wrong.
    We pay a very high price for all their decisions, good and bad

Sorry on phone and nightmare to type

Sorry on phone and nightmare to type

I know that feeling

They use our taxes to hire traffic wardens and the wardens create revenue. It's a return on our taxes. revenue from mineral resources, our money. Ireland belongs to you and me. Any money created as result of the decisions of our employees ie fg labour is our money. They might like to think they are our Masters handing out free sh1t, but they are wrong.
    We pay a very high price for all their decisions, good and bad

It's about time FG were shown that we the people are their employers.
    Roll on the local elections, can't wait until they call to my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

FG called to our door before the last election, three times they were asked "will there be any new taxes?", three times they said "There will be no new taxes".
    Are there any new taxes???????

(by new taxes I mean taxes that were not in place when they came into power)

I know who I shall be voting for next time around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

So who you going to vote in next time? FF? The fools that created this mess in the first place? No matter who is in power we still are going to have to take the pain for the mess that has occurred - the alternative is the Greek method and I for one would not want to be going down that road!

Huggles wrote: »
    So who you going to vote in next time? FF? The fools that created this mess in the first place? No matter who is in power we still are going to have to take the pain for the mess that has occurred - the alternative is the Greek method and I for one would not want to be going down that road!

To be fair we've lost our independence and we'll never regain it fully.
    The Germans will run europe and we'll elect glorified pen pushers to do what they tell us.
    Collins must have turned in his grave listening to kenny on Sunday.

Huggles wrote: »

Voting it's a waste of time. The 700k people who didn't pay this charge have done more about waste in one peaceful protest than all the votes cast in the last 30 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

We have all prob heard this Idle threat to switch off street lights all over the media, national radio/local radio these past few days-I call BS when I see it.

There would probaly be legal consequences if they actually did turn off street lights-for example lets say for someone who paid the household tax say (DV Power) was out driving at night, driving down a street with no street lights on and crashed the car and got seriously injured or worse even died from the car accident, surely DVS family could put in a claim and sue the local council for compensation, reasoning the household tax was paid by DV and then street lights were turned off resulting in a car accident, if they acually do turn off street lights a scenario like that is just waiting to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement