Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

dvpower wrote: »
    Hijpo wrote: »
    The CSO figures are actual figures - definitive ones at that.

ah righ, i expect who ever wrote that piece i linked to has been sacked for making up stories and figures...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ah righ, i expect who ever wrote that piece i linked to has been sacked for making up stories and figures...

Why? Does that blog post contradict official government figures?

Why? Does that blog post contradict official government figures?

are they actual and definitive figures of wage caps being broken even though we are being told we have to raise exra millions for the LA?

Geuze wrote: »
    Govt exp eventually stopped rising.
    Well thats not true, theres enough money there to give there advisors 3k :confused:

are they actual and definitive figures of wage caps being broken even though we are being told we have to raise exra millions for the LA?

Talk about changing the goalposts. Maybe government spending on paperclips is up too, but that doesn't change the facts.

no its not changing goal posts. if your telling me that there is a cap on a salary, then you pay more than the cap while asking me to hand over more money and attribute it to services that directly effect me then im going to politely decline giving you any money.
    if the money is there to exceed caps then there is no need for extra funding from home owners, and only home owners.

paper clips indeed.

• Advertisement

no its not changing goal posts. if your telling me that there is a cap on a salary, then you pay more than the cap while asking me to hand over more money and attribute it to services that directly effect me then im going to politely decline giving you any money.
    if the money is there to exceed caps then there is no need for extra funding from home owners, and only home owners.

paper clips indeed.

Wait a second - you said it wasn't true that government spending had stopped rising and you were wrong. Obviously in certain areas government spending is up, but over all, it isn't.

I didn't bring up salary caps at all - which have been breached in a number of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Ok heres some actual figures for you

http://itsapoliticalworld.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/irish-government-special-advisers-the-list/

I have no apples in this hand, how many apples can i put in the other hand??? deficit in one hand still increasing expenditure to the other.

So not only do we pay huge salaries and pensions to the people who are supposed to know how to run the country, but were also bumping up the wages of the people who tell them how to run the country. Why not ditch the government all together and give the jobs to the advisors, there doing the work as it is.

J*zus, Is'nt some of them on fierce bad money altogether.

paper clips indeed.

Wait a second - you said it wasn't true that government spending had stopped rising and you were wrong. Obviously in certain areas government spending is up, but over all, it isn't.

I didn't bring up salary caps at all - which have been breached in a number of cases.

over all or just when it comes to providing for the average paye payer and home owner?? if the cso drew up a comparrison chart between public spending and officials salaries and pensions which way would the graphs differ?

over all or just when it comes to providing for the average paye payer and home owner?? if the cso drew up a comparrison chart between public spending and officials salaries and pensions which way would the graphs differ?
    Overall, spending on official's salaries and pensions is down - not nearly as much as it needs to be, but it is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

So a house that is costing money to run is NOT an asset --- I knew that.
    There is a bit of a fixation here with what does and does not constitute an asset. Some would say as asset necessarily must produce a net income. I would describe this as a performing asset and say that an asset is simply something that has an inherent value.

Well ultimately, it matters not a jot how you label things as long as we all understand what it meant. And the view of some on the anti-property tax side is that (property) tax should not be levied at homes at they are not assets (using their terminology), or non-performing assets (using mine and others).

To this I would say two things. First, owner-occupied properties are, IMO, performing assets on average. I make this assessment as follows (feel free to contradict my figures or analysis as you see fit, especially as alcohol has been consumed! :)).

There are about 760,000 home loan mortgages in play at the moment and the sum total of all mortgages is about €112 billion. Thus the average outstanding amount is less than €150,000. And as about one third of homes are mortgage free, the average across all homes is about €100 K. Taking a variable interest rate of about 3% would mean annual interest due on an outstanding amount of €100 K is €3,000 or about €250 per month. With average rent in the region of €800 - €900 per month and even allowing generously for maintenance costs, this would suggest to me that residential properties are on average performing assets, or just assets using the definition of some.

Of course average calculations are crude and a clearer picture might be obtained by more detailed calculations but I would be surprised if the majority of homes did not generate more revenue than they cost.

The second point is this. If you do insist that non-performing assets should not be taxed then this presents something of a conundrum.

Suppose an Irish version of the queen of England, bless her, dwelled amongst us with jaw-dropping wealth in the form of palaces, stately homes, vast estates, gardens, jewellery, art and all manner of gear, then on what basis would you tax this wealth as all of these goodies cost money (maintenance, security etc.) rather than generate any? And of course many who oppose the property tax insist that it is the wealthy and not the ordinary Joe and Jane who should do the heavy lifting. But this insistence that assets should perform seems to offer the ultra rich a fairly easy ride?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Why are people so willing to accept paying a tax which results in absolutely no benefit to them neways.
    Don't councils have to spend all their annual budget or else they get cut the following year.
    If the g**s**ts in the dail pulled the head out of their a*** and said maybe if we offer an incentive to councils to save money and pass the money on to the following years budget. It would make more sense.

I know around where im living the council seem to modify the town eg pull out perfectly good footpaths and replace them. Just pure waste.

Typical Irish sure it'll be grand keep forking over.
    Sure they need the money dont you know.................... ffs :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

1) Special Needs Assistants being cut 2) Hospitals being downgraded 3) Garda Stations being closed 4) About 100,000 people in mortgage arrears 5) 750,000 people in IRELAND on the verge of poverty

Minister for Justice Alan Shatter last night on TV compared figures of police in Ireland with the UK...so how about the following comparisons:

Population of UK = 62,641,000...Members of UK Parliament (MP's) =650 = 1 MP for 96,371 people Population of Germany = 81,726,000...M embers of Bundestag = 622 = 1 Bundestag representative for 131,393 people Population of the Rep. of Ireland = 4,487,000...TD's = 166 = 1 TD for 27,030 people.

SO IF WE REALLY WANT TO TALK ABOUT CUTS, HOW MANY TD's SHOULD WE HAVE IN IRELAND COMPARED TO :-

UK : We should have 47 TD's, Germany : We should have 34 TD's

REMEMBER, we have 166 TD's...argue that one Minister!

If we need cuts (and we do), surely we HAVE to start with these power crazed fat cats who got us into this mess in the first place

Start with curtailing their salaries, then reducing numbers.
    Turkeys don't vote for Christmas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ghandee wrote: »
    THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

1) Special Needs Assistants being cut 2) Hospitals being downgraded 3) Garda Stations being closed 4) About 100,000 people in mortgage arrears 5) 750,000 people in IRELAND on the verge of poverty

Minister for Justice Alan Shatter last night on TV compared figures of police in Ireland with the UK...so how about the following comparisons:

Population of UK = 62,641,000...Members of UK Parliament (MP's) =650 = 1 MP for 96,371 people Population of Germany = 81,726,000...M embers of Bundestag = 622 = 1 Bundestag representative for 131,393 people Population of the Rep. of Ireland = 4,487,000...TD's = 166 = 1 TD for 27,030 people.

SO IF WE REALLY WANT TO TALK ABOUT CUTS, HOW MANY TD's SHOULD WE HAVE IN IRELAND COMPARED TO :-

UK : We should have 47 TD's, Germany : We should have 34 TD's

REMEMBER, we have 166 TD's...argue that one Minister!

If we need cuts (and we do), surely we HAVE to start with these power crazed fat cats who got us into this mess in the first place

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas though.

Just to continue you're international comparison, when our new slimmed down legislature of 35 or whatever look around them to devise a system of taxation they would probably include in the mix a tax collected annually from the owners of private properties. Just like Germany and the UK and the rest of the developed world.

What does "on the verge of poverty" mean?

BTW were you including including in your UK figures the local parliaments in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland? They seem to be able to run a property tax in the North with even more politicians than we have pro rata.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/northern-ireland/192095-ten-our-mlas-claimed-just-under-1-000-000-expenses.html

It is a bit rich for someone who won’t pay all the taxes they are liable for to complaining about cut backs in important services, don’t you think? If everybody paid ALL their taxes then fewer cuts would be needed.

This is an old ploy when arguing against some necessary but unpopular measure such as funding cuts. Point out a more popular starting place where cuts might be made (and cutting politicians benefits sure would be popular) and insist that the cuts begin there (whether or not such an alternative cut makes much practical difference may be cheerfully ignored).

And of course you will always be able to find a cut in spending that you consider to be more morally justified than the one that effects you, so you will never reach a point where you have to dip your hand in your own pocket.

Alas, everyone can use this ploy; public sector workers to resist wages cuts / redundancies, all workers to resist new taxes, social welfare recipients to resist benefit cuts etc. which means that if you accept this ploy you cannot make the adjustments that have to be made (and they do, we have no choice).

So here’s an idea. Let’s not get to worried about where we start, let’s simply make a list of the adjustments that need to be made and an estimate of how much savings that would reduce our deficit of about €15,000 million.
    I’ll give you the honour of first place on the list. :) Bags I # 2.

1. Remove 120 TDs from the Dail! Benefit? About €30 million

2. Introduce a property tax of say €350 (modest compared to some speculations). Benefit? About €600 million!

Now I could brag that my measure has 20 times the benefit of yours! Alas, such a property tax would only take a 4% bite out of the apple pie that is our deficit (your measure would amount to swallowing half a clove!). So we need to add a lot more to our list.

And add in as many fat cats as you like, you will eventually have to start adding more measures like a property tax that will have a seriously impact on ordinary folk with modest incomes.

BTW Have we finally put to bed this notion that a residential property is not an asset? :)

lugha wrote: »
    It is a bit rich for someone who won’t pay all the taxes they are liable for to complaining about cut backs in important services, don’t you think? If everybody paid ALL their taxes then fewer cuts would be needed.

I think this will be the third time I;'ll have asked you this, and I have yet to get a reply.

What taxes do I not pay/have not paid?

BTW Have we finally put to bed this notion that a residential property is not an asset? :)

Nope, I thought that was covered on the cashflow/income v the expenditure/liabilty demonstration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

There has been cut backs going on for the past 4 year pre HHC,

If everyone paid the HHC there will still be cutbacks,

Take Roscommon cut back of 1.7 million, does that mean that 170,000 people in Roscommon have not paid the €100 ?

Stop the waste first, concentrate on reducing the debt burden, put some effort into it as promised / lied before before the election.

Just to continue you're international comparison, when our new slimmed down legislature of 35 or whatever look around them to devise a system of taxation they would probably include in the mix a tax collected annually from the owners of private properties. Just like Germany and the UK and the rest of the developed world.

What does "on the verge of poverty" mean?

BTW were you including including in your UK figures the local parliaments in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland? They seem to be able to run a property tax in the North with even more politicians than we have pro rata.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/northern-ireland/192095-ten-our-mlas-claimed-just-under-1-000-000-expenses.html

But they do not run a property tax in the North.
    They do however run domestic rates, something which I have stated numerous times I would quite happily pay for btw.

Just with ref to your point about the north having more politicians per rata than we do.

Seeing as how domestic rates in the north have a multitude of services attached to them once paid, perhaps it takes more politicians to ensure these services are all delivered in a timely and satisfactory manner?

Education minister probably spends a lot of his time sourcing best value books, negotiating school transportation costs, school meals etc etc etc.

Environment minister, constantly monitoring refuse collection services, recyclabe services, are these being run in an efficient manner? Cost saving measures are being put in place.

It makes sense that the more services you receive for your buck would need more people to provide said services.

Down here though, its more of a self service affair, pay for your service when you need it, and provide it to yourself when needed.

Now they want us to pay for it up front, whether or not its needed or used, and then pay for it once more on the day your using it.

Domestic rates are not a property tax Dxhound!
    6 months into these debates and your still trying to flog that dead horse.

I think this will be the third time I;'ll have asked you this, and I have yet to get a reply.

What taxes do I not pay/have not paid?
    Well I assume you did not pay the HHC? But if I am wrong, take a bow and go to the top of the class! :)
    Nope, I thought that was covered on the cashflow/income v the expenditure/liabilty demonstration?
    Presumably you dispute my figures which suggest that the average residential property DOES generate a net profit and thus constitutes an asset, even by the definition of the one guy on the internet you managed to find who is out of kilter with everyone else? Can we see your calculations?

Well I assume you did not pay the HHC? But if I am wrong, take a bow and go to the top of the class! :)

I am exempt from the HHC thanks to buider, who despite being 16million in the black has decided that he cant afford to finish my estate.

But to be clear, I would not have paid it regardless, nor will be paying any property tax anyone attempts to tell me I am liable for.
    Presumably you dispute my figures which suggest that the average residential property DOES generate a net profit and thus constitutes an asset, even by the definition of the one guy on the internet you managed to find who is out of kilter with everyone else? Can we see your calculations?

Its not a matter of disoputing your figures.

I'm simply telling you how it is as a fact!

I pay for a mortgage on a house that has lost prob 50% of its value since buying it in 2006.

My mortgage repayments plus the interest attached means that when I finally pay the last payment of it, I will prob have repaid 2-3 times of its resale value, if house prices continue to rise at the pitiful rates they have been in the last 5 years.

Am I whinging about the house? No, we obviously thought it was worth it
    when we bought it, so no point complaining now.

However, we were not to blame for the collapse of the economic boom, and the housing markets implosion.

But for the guys who created the mess, or at least partially created it, (and in the case of some European banks, helped fuel it) to now come along and place a rent on the property I was sold, just to keep them in the life style to which they have been accustomed is not going to happen I'm afraid.

I will fight any notion to tax the roof over my families head relentlessly.
    They can introduce a rates system by all means, and then start laying on some actual services I will use, like a refuse system, like free education, free school dinners, start to provide a health care system that is free to all (like they do in the all to often, comapred 'UK')

I work for a company in the North, I get paid into an account in the south, and pay all my taxes, PRSI etc here. I do this by choice.

I could quite easily (take me an hour tops) decide to get taxed via the North if I wished to.......

But they do not run a property tax in the North.
    They do however run domestic rates, something which I have stated numerous times I would quite happily pay for btw.

Just with ref to your point about the north having more politicians per rata than we do.

Seeing as how domestic rates in the north have a multitude of services attached to them once paid, perhaps it takes more politicians to ensure these services are all delivered in a timely and satisfactory manner?

Education minister probably spends a lot of his time sourcing best value books, negotiating school transportation costs, school meals etc etc etc.

Environment minister, constantly monitoring refuse collection services, recyclabe services, are these being run in an efficient manner? Cost saving measures are being put in place.

It makes sense that the more services you receive for your buck would need more people to provide said services.

Down here though, its more of a self service affair, pay for your service when you need it, and provide it to yourself when needed.

Now they want us to pay for it up front, whether or not its needed or used, and then pay for it once more on the day your using it.

Domestic rates are not a property tax Dxhound!
    6 months into these debates and your still trying to flog that dead horse.

Domestic rates in the North are a property tax. Who says so? The people who collect them. You keep confusing the existence of a property tax with how the proceeds are distributed and spent. This varies around the world but the common factor is that all other developed countries place an annual tax on the owners of private property and sometimes land.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/what-are-rates

What are rates?

Domestic rates are a property tax based on the valuation of your home and is used to fund both local and regional services in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

But to be clear, I would not have paid it regardless, nor will be paying any property tax anyone attempts to tell me I am liable for.

So you are not a good boy after all. Stand in the corner and face the wall! :)

Presumably if and when a property tax does come in, and you manage to avoid paying it you will at that point desist from complaining about cuts in important public services?
    I'm simply telling you .......

And you proceed to tell me all sort of things that have no bearing on what I asked you! (Mind, there are plenty of holes in what you did tell me!)

The question again, in case I was unclear, is: do you dispute that the average Irish residential property generates a net profit, and thus constitute an asset, even by the rather strange notion you have of an asset?

I am not asking about the merits of taxing or not taxing this income, simply whether you dispute if it is there or not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Generally speaking, the bigger the country, the smaller the number of MPs per capita. For example, if we adopted the same ratio as India, we'd have a Dail of 2 TDs.

When you compare us against countries with similar populations, like Norway or Finland, we are quite similar.

Domestic rates in the North are a property tax. Who says so? The people who collect them. You keep confusing the existence of a property tax with how the proceeds are distributed and spent. This varies around the world but the common factor is that all other developed countries place an annual tax on the owners of private property and sometimes land.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/what-are-rates

What are rates?

Domestic rates are a property tax based on the valuation of your home and is used to fund both local and regional services in Northern Ireland.

What do the good people of the north get when they pay for their rates though?
    Regional rate

The regional rate is set annually by the Northern Ireland Executive and is applied to each district council area in Northern Ireland. This pays for such services as:

education
    emergency services
    health
    housing
    roads
    water and sewerage
    District rate

The district rate is set annually by each of the district councils in Northern Ireland, and is used to fund services such as:

arts, events and recreation
    building control
    community centres
    environmental health
    leisure facilities
    tourism
    waste management

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/property-and-housing/rates/your-rate-bill/what-do-rates-pay-for.htm

We are being told that a property tax placed on our homes is also to pay for such services, however.....

We are still paying seperately (not even a price reduction ffs) on our Refuse collection, GP fees, Motor tax, Education fees and so on and so forth.

Ok, so we'll (for arguments sake) say that rates are a property tax.
    They're a property tax that gets you services though, once its paid you'll not have to shell out for anything ecxtra.

Can you compare what we're being offered to what they are in the North?

What do the good people of the north get when they pay for their rates though?

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/property-and-housing/rates/your-rate-bill/what-do-rates-pay-for.htm

We are being told that a property tax placed on our homes is also to pay for such services, however.....

We are still paying seperately (not even a price reduction ffs) on our Refuse collection, GP fees, Motor tax, Education fees and so on and so forth.

Ok, so we'll (for arguments sake) say that rates are a property tax.
    They're a property tax that gets you services though, once its paid you'll not have to shell out for anything ecxtra.

Can you compare what we're being offered to what they are in the North?

Like I said you are talking about how the tax is distributed and spent. If the party that is in power in the North comes to power here they could introduce that system. And you probably know that the property tax in the UK does not cover all local government expenditure, just like here they also have central government grants derived mostly from income tax.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/UKgovernment/Localgovernment/DG_073311

Local authorities have a wide range of powers and duties. National policy is set by central government, but local councils are responsible for all day-to-day services and local matters. They are funded by government grants, Council Tax and business rates.

I am exempt from the HHC thanks to buider, who despite being 16million in the black has decided that he cant afford to finish my estate.
    Did you register for your exemption? Because if you didn't then you are liable.

Did you register for your exemption? Because if you didn't then you are liable.

Lol....

Yeah, so the government can get this much sought after database set up.
    And probably add me to their exaggerated statistics?

Don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

There is a bit of a fixation here with what does and does not constitute an asset. Some would say as asset necessarily must produce a net income. I would describe this as a performing asset and say that an asset is simply something that has an inherent value.

To this I would say two things. First, owner-occupied properties are, IMO, performing assets on average. I make this assessment as follows (feel free to contradict my figures or analysis as you see fit, especially as alcohol has been consumed! :)).

There are about 760,000 home loan mortgages in play at the moment and the sum total of all mortgages is about €112 billion. Thus the average outstanding amount is less than €150,000. And as about one third of homes are mortgage free, the average across all homes is about €100 K. Taking a variable interest rate of about 3% would mean annual interest due on an outstanding amount of €100 K is €3,000 or about €250 per month. With average rent in the region of €800 - €900 per month and even allowing generously for maintenance costs, this would suggest to me that residential properties are on average performing assets, or just assets using the definition of some.

Of course average calculations are crude and a clearer picture might be obtained by more detailed calculations but I would be surprised if the majority of homes did not generate more revenue than they cost.
    QUOTE]

I have to say that I have some issue with your suggestion that there is anyone out their who is paying anything as low as €250 per month on a mortgage. I am definitly not going into my own personal circumstances and monthly mortgage payment again on this thread, but I would like to say that I, and I am sure many people reading above post, would be in a great financial position, if that's all we had to pay on a mortgage monthly.
    However, I would have great sympathy for anyone renting from you. Just as a matter of interest, the renters that you suggest are paying in the region of €800-€900 per month, while we know that they are not LA tenants, would they be on any sort of a subsidy from the govt., because I would find it very hard to believe that anyone, even on a good salary, would pay out what you seem to be suggesting in rent.
    Lastly, I would like to say that what you state above about the majority of homes, generating more revenue than they cost, well I think this is the biggest load of bull I've ever heard, unless, of course, you are a landlord, which, if you are, I think it very disingenuous of you to even compare a revenue making house(commercial entity) with a family home.

Lol....

Yeah, so the government can get this much sought after database set up.
    And probably add me to their exaggerated statistics?

Don't think so.
    Failure to apply for an exemption makes you liable, so it seems that you are a tax evader after all.

Failure to apply for an exemption makes you liable, so it seems that you are a tax evader after all.

Ah well, 800,000 beside me in the queue. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ah well, 800,000 beside me in the queue. :rolleyes:
    How pissed off are you going to be when up end up paying the €100 plus penalties when you needn't have paid anything at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement