Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

donalg1 wrote: »
    The green area in the estate doesn't belong to the council though that's why they don't and won't cut it.

Thats fine. Thats what I needed to know. Thank you.

I have paid my house hold charge in Ireland.

Good stuff outa you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    January 2013 is looking less and less likely:)...tick bloody tock :D

Peter Matthews wants the Property Tax deferred for a year as it's not properly thought-out at all. He says it's not a fair tax. Can't blame him but he will probably endure the wrath of his party for it. He doesn't really suit F.G. as he's too honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Fintan O'Toole show, (standing in for Vincent Brown) made very interesting viewing.

Four members on the panel, three were against the property tax (including Peter Matthews, FG TD) who remarkably suggests wealth taxes, and also wished to see corporation tax increased to 15%.
    He clearly said that corporation tax raised to 15% would raise 400 million euro more than a property tax per year.

The only one in favour of the property tax was Ronan Lyons, but he went on to suggest the fact the govt have not factored peoples individual circumstances (ability to pay) as ludicrous.

12 weeks away from the property tax it's supposed to get off the ground yet no one has details, no database has been set up, i think the whole panel, everyone on it agreed that it has been a shambles from start to finish.

I don't see it getting off the ground tbh.

I have paid my house hold charge in Ireland. In the UK property taxes are a lot more expensive than in Ireland. Paying property tax is just normal. I think it is unfair on the majority who have paid when they see some not paying. You will have to pay some day all the arrears and penalties so why put it off? Cutting the nose to spite one's face comes to mind.

Go back and pay your Poll Tax now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

darkhorse wrote: »
    Or perhaps I am.

EDUCATION MINISTER RUAIRÍ Quinn has admitted that the breaching of salary caps for some ministerial advisers was a mistake but has said it is unlikely that salaries for those advisers will be revisited.
    Quinn was responding to reports that the issue of breaching of salary caps was one of the main talking points on the doorstep during the referendum campaign telling RTÉ Radio that it was “a mistake on our part”.
    It was disclosed late last year that the Taoiseach had breached the salary cap set by his own government of €92,000 in requesting that his former advisor Ciaran Conlon be paid €127,000 while working for the Enterprise Minister Richard Bruton.
    I think he means that it was a mistake in that it was politically damaging, which it certainly was, rather than an actual violation of the guidelines.

But much in politics in about perception rather than reality and the broad perception was that they did break the rules. The fact that the total “advisors” bill from the previous administration was dramatically reduced was largely ignored as was the fact that this particular advisor could and would have made much more in the private sector.

Regrettably, our propensity for begrudgery in this country is never far from the surface and often obscures the bigger, more important picture. But we digress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

One comment by Ronan Lyons during the discussion, we know who owns what property and where because of the land register, we send them a notice asking them to get their property valued for a property tax- what planet are these people on at all I wonder, if they actually think the vast majority of people will pay to have home valued for a property tax, they re gonna be in for some shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Am Chile wrote: »
    Are we listening to what FF have to say again? I didn't get the memo! :P

On affordability, perhaps you could address something I alluded to earlier. Were interest rates to rise by even 0.25% many mortgage holders would face additional costs of the order of a typically speculated property tax of several hundred euro or more per year.

Rates have gone up in the past, and by a lot more than 0.25%, and I cannot recall any intervention by any government to come to the aid of those who could not pay? Perhaps for many, it is the case that they, understandably, don't want to pay as opposed to being absolutely unable to pay?

One comment by Ronan Lyons during the discussion, we know who owns what property and where because of the land register, we send them a notice asking them to get their property valued for a property tax- what planet are these people on at all I wonder, if they actually think the vast majority of people will pay to have home valued for a property tax, they re gonna be in for some shock.

Ronan reminds me in a man that might benefit financially in some shape or form from his comments tonight.

Wonder who Ronan would suggest 'valuing' the land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

lugha wrote: »
    I think he means that it was a mistake in that it was politically damaging, which it certainly was, rather than an actual violation of the guidelines.

But much in politics in about perception rather than reality and the broad perception was that they did break the rules. The fact that the total “advisors” bill from the previous administration was dramatically reduced was largely ignored as was the fact that this particular advisor could and would have made much more in the private sector.

Regrettably, our propensity for begrudgery in this country is never far from the surface and often obscures the bigger, more important picture. But we digress.

Advisors did a lot of good for the country before this government, maybe we could do without them altogether and vote in a shower that are actually qualified for their job :eek: . Just an idea...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

re the land registry, if it was that simple why did they not do that months ago ?.....all of a sudden it is now so simple...?

lets assume that they do manage to get a system in place.... 3 major stumbling blocks will always remain, public co-operation, collection, enforcement...bring it on I say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Advisors did a lot of good for the country before this government, maybe we could do without them altogether and vote in a shower that are actually qualified for their job :eek: . Just an idea...
    bgrizzley, that is one radical idea man, not sure the country is ready for such a big change:)....perhaps we should employ another expert group to look into this and report back their findings in say, a years time ?...:D

lugha wrote: »

Begrudgery? How coud anyone begrudge a person a raise on an already fantastic salary, in this climate, where there are people queuing outside soup kitchens. Good work if you can get it, I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Mach Lei

January 2013 is looking less and less likely:)...tick bloody tock :D

It seems now its the middle of next year the property tax is supposed to be in place,if the report is true its set to be delayed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0828/1224323098284.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Not so peaceful when the workers collecting the charge get all sorts of abuse and even a shotgun cartridge in the post.

http://www.herald.ie/news/housetax-collector-sent-a-bullet-in-post-3205092.html

I didn't know this, and condemn it in the strongest terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

darkhorse wrote: »
    Thats fine. Thats what I needed to know. Thank you.

Who does own it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Who does own it then?

Same person that owns the rest of the estate I would imagine, not too sure tbh. I do know that the CC will never be responsible for it.

Mach Lei wrote: »
    It seems now its the middle of next year the property tax is supposed to be in place,if the report is true its set to be delayed.

First cracks appear....

Honesty would do them the world of good at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Not so peaceful when the workers collecting the charge get all sorts of abuse and even a shotgun cartridge in the post.

http://www.herald.ie/news/housetax-collector-sent-a-bullet-in-post-3205092.html

noonan should be getting them in the post not the workers.

crazygeryy wrote: »

noonan should be getting them in the post not the workers.

No one should be getting 'them' in the post.

Let's not give the pro side any excuse to paint us in a thuggish manner for not wanting a ground rent placed over the family home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

What in that report suggested any delay?

I thought the funniest bit was this:
    Fianna Fáil environment spokesman Barry Cowen accused the Government of
    sleepwalking into another “fiasco” along the lines of the household charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I read from this mornings indo that the property tax is to be stopped from your wages. So when will we all find out how much we will have to pay, will there be a chance to say that thes no way my house is worth that or do we have to abide by their estimate? What about household income, number of dependents in the house, how much mortgage is outstanding etc. too many variables, no fecking answers.

In my case, I'd say if I did manage to sell the place today, and clear the mortgage, I'd have enough left to buy a tent.......maybe. Of course I could be deluding myself and I'm already in negative equity. I could add that I paid €32,000 I stamp duty when I bought this place but who gives a toss, certainly not the government. I could also add that 55% of my net monthly income already goes on the mortgage (used to be 25% but wage cuts, increased taxes, wife not working now has pushed that % waaaaaay up) but again they don't give a toss.

What the hell am I supposed to live on if they take even more of my pay? I haven't had a holiday in five years, haven't been in a restaurant or pub in over a year, I go from home to work and home again as I can't afford to go anywhere else. That's my fecking "life" Noonan you ba$tard.

Must calm down, must calm down.............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I read from this mornings indo that the property tax is to be stopped from your wages. So when will we all find out how much we will have to pay, will there be a chance to say that thes no way my house is worth that or do we have to abide by their estimate? What about household income, number of dependents in the house, how much mortgage is outstanding etc. too many variables, no fecking answers.

In my case, I'd say if I did manage to sell the place today, and clear the mortgage, I'd have enough left to buy a tent.......maybe. Of course I could be deluding myself and I'm already in negative equity. I could add that I paid €32,000 I stamp duty when I bought this place but who gives a toss, certainly not the government. I could also add that 55% of my net monthly income already goes on the mortgage (used to be 25% but wage cuts, increased taxes, wife not working now has pushed that % waaaaaay up) but again they don't give a toss.

What the hell am I supposed to live on if they take even more of my pay? I haven't had a holiday in five years, haven't been in a restaurant or pub in over a year, I go from home to work and home again as I can't afford to go anywhere else. That's my fecking "life" Noonan you ba$tard.

Must calm down, must calm down.............

soon we will be like some factories in china where they live in work for months and only come home on holidays

The problem is that you have too many clowns in the same circus each wanting to be top-dog.
    I'm betting they will make a complete balls of it when they do introduce it. They don't know what they're trying to do obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Hijpo wrote: »
    soon we will be like some factories in china where they live in work for months and only come home on holidays

Mate, that scenario is already here. My brother couldn't afford the petrol for his daily commute from his house to work and back (100 miles) and so he ended up kipping in my mothers house for the week and so he didn't see his kids from Sunday night until the following Friday night. He was made redundant a while back and he's never been happier tbh. He sees his kids every day, he hasn't the stress of being separated from his family, he now gets almost as much on the dole, and he probably won't have to pay the property tax.

Why the fcuk would any of us continue working is a question that I find harder and harder to answer. Btw, I've worked all my life since I left school and never been on the dole but it's looking very attractive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

re the land registry, if it was that simple why did they not do that months ago ?.....all of a sudden it is now so simple...?

lets assume that they do manage to get a system in place.... 3 major stumbling blocks will always remain, public co-operation, collection, enforcement...bring it on I say :D

shame they didnt do that for the second house tax where , because their system doesnt allow registration under two names i have waste time writing to the council to explain that the charge is already paid, to get then to write off a bill for 2240 euro.

what are they going to do with the houshold charge from payment and my partner have a joint account where joint bills are paid from how are they going to split the houshold charge

honestly there should be one databse gives the owners, is it a second house , does it have septic, mains water etc etc. honestly a more incompetant way of bringing in charges i cant think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Mate, that scenario is already here. My brother couldn't afford the petrol for his daily commute from his house to work and back (100 miles) and so he ended up kipping in my mothers house for the week and so he didn't see his kids from Sunday night until the following Friday night. He was made redundant a while back and he's never been happier tbh. He sees his kids every day, he hasn't the stress of being separated from his family, he now gets almost as much on the dole, and he probably won't have to pay the property tax.

Why the fcuk would any of us continue working is a question that I find harder and harder to answer. Btw, I've worked all my life since I left school and never been on the dole but it's looking very attractive these days.

Unless he is renting your brother is liable for the HHC - as for the property tax, who the hell knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dvpower wrote: »
    What in that report suggested any delay?

I thought the funniest bit was this:

Varadker said it on Radio 1 this morning as well............ middle of next year he said.

mikom wrote: »
    Varadker said it on Radio 1 this morning as well............ middle of next year he said.

Did he mention anything about the €600,000,000 Anglo bondholder payout that is due to be paid on sept 3rd?
    Or the €1000,000,000 AIB bondholder payout due on Oct first by any chance?

Not another red cent.

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    Did he mention anything about the €600,000,000 Anglo bondholder payout that is due to be paid on sept 3rd?
    Or the €1000,000,000 AIB bondholder payout due on Oct first by any chance?

Not another red cent.

We have another 5 Billion to pay over to Bondholders apparently.
    How many HHC's is that?
    I am still not going to pay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement