Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭kulareggae

Im in social housing so i was exempt from the charge but dont agree with it at all

The government are a joke We have natural resources like gas and oil and if we manage them properly we could get out of recession and help the people of ireland I am tired of one law for the government and other for us

I really really wish we could look to Iceland's example default on euro and be self sufficient on our resources.

Ah well one can dream :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

darkhorse wrote: »
    If I may, I would just like to add to his amusement and to anyone that may think this is amusing.

In order to facilate the upcoming levy's/charges/taxes, I had to cancel a standing order today, in which I had been contributing €5 a month to a charity, which I had in place for the last 6 years, in order to try and claw back some money and to try juggle my finances. I also cancelled a life assurance policy, for which I was paying €26 a month. If my calculations are correct, this money, in addition to the disposable income that I presently have, should just about be enough to pay the property tax next year, if I can manage to hold on to it.
    I felt a bit guilty at first, having to cancel a s.o. for a p*xy €5, but then I thought to myself, well, that the govt. is still involved in charitable donations, albeit the money is all borrowed, but I am still paying it through my tax, so I dont feel so guilty now.
    I hope they find this amuseing.

maybe we should ask Lugha....Lugha, should the govt. stop all donations to third world contries ?....possibly €500m -€700m a year....that's the property tax for next year....would it be "immoral" to do this ?....you did say recently that in the present economic situation, immoral and unjust actions may need to be taken ?....just curious on your opinion....nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    Golden, very well put, nice and simple, the pro taxers have no answer to this, they will reply with "it's a revenue raising problem" !!!....can you believe how f-ing stupid that logic is !....does not surprise me in the least.

Sure we'el just tax our way out of this and----oh, I forgot, thats what we are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

DV, answer me one question please....why can't we cut our spending back to 2002/2003 levels....why?.....i will wait your answer before I make any further points....
    I'd hate to miss out on any further points you have stored up ready to go so...

We could reduce spending back to 2002/03 levels over time, but to do it all at once would cause a massive shock.
    That's why we have signed up to a correction over a number of years, that is mostly spending cuts and also some tax increases.
    When the property tax is implemented fully I don't expect it to raise as much as property related transaction taxes used to raise for us back in 2002/03.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

kulareggae wrote: »
    Im in social housing so i was exempt from the charge but dont agree with it at all

The government are a joke We have natural resources like gas and oil and if we manage them properly we could get out of recession and help the people of ireland I am tired of one law for the government and other for us

I really really wish we could look to Iceland's example default on euro and be self sufficient on our resources.

Discussing our natural resources on Vincent Browne now. Govt not doing enough to protect them on behalf of the Irish people.
    With the discovery of two new oil fields it is important that we don't mess this up as it could solve much of our problems. Govt not being proactive on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

right again DV !!...you're making a bit of a habit of this !
    I don't trust ANY politicians or political partys..they all want tax increases, but they differ on who they would hit with these....I think they are all wrong, we need spending cuts, big spending cuts.....when spending is brought back to 2002 / 2003 levels, then you can start raising taxes to make up any deficit.
    DV, answer me one question please....why can't we cut our spending back to 2002/2003 levels....why?.....i will wait your answer before I make any further points....

Can we bring the population back to 2002/2003 levels as well? For every three children extra that's €5100 Child Benefit per year tax free to whoever has them and there are a lot of extra children. Thats just an example of what an increase in population of probably more that half a million since then entails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Can we bring the population back to 2002/2003 levels as well? For every three children extra that's €5100 Child Benefit per year tax free to whoever has them and there are a lot of extra children. Thats just an example of what an increase in population of probably more that half a million since then entails.

How on earth does a man with (presumably from post history) has obviously no children, even know such information?

I don't know what benefits a farmer gets per head of cattle, I've no cattle, and so never thought to look that up?

What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

"Sick patients to be sent home at weekends"
    Cuts in Home Care services.
    Reilly missing again.
    Minister claims 5k mileage for one month.

Tomorrows newspaper headlines.

Same ole, same ole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

darkhorse wrote: »
    If I may, I would just like to add to his amusement and to anyone that may think this is amusing.

In order to facilate the upcoming levy's/charges/taxes, I had to cancel a standing order today, in which I had been contributing €5 a month to a charity, which I had in place for the last 6 years, in order to try and claw back some money and to try juggle my finances. I also cancelled a life assurance policy, for which I was paying €26 a month. If my calculations are correct, this money, in addition to the disposable income that I presently have, should just about be enough to pay the property tax next year, if I can manage to hold on to it.
    I felt a bit guilty at first, having to cancel a s.o. for a p*xy €5, but then I thought to myself, well, that the govt. is still involved in charitable donations, albeit the money is all borrowed, but I am still paying it through my tax, so I dont feel so guilty now.
    I hope they find this amuseing.

Sorry DH, didnt mean to sound callous but if I didn't laugh, I'd cry.
    don't feel one but guilty about having to save E5, if we had more fiscally prudent people like you in government we wouldn't have the problems we do.

dvpower wrote: »
    I'd hate to miss out on any further points you have stored up ready to go so...

We could reduce spending back to 2002/03 levels over time, but to do it all at once would cause a massive shock.
    That's why we have signed up to a correction over a number of years, that is mostly spending cuts and also some tax increases.
    When the property tax is implemented fully I don't expect it to raise as much as property related transaction taxes used to raise for us back in 2002/03.
    cause a massive shock?....it would save us billions in borrowings and interest payments....this would greatly soften the shock !....
    Workers have endured a massive shock over the past 3 years with pay cuts, pay freezes, unemployment, cost of living increases etc......

"mostly spending cuts" ....what spending cuts?...we are spending as much as in 2010....we are still paying increases to ps workers!
    The govt. are factoring in (more like praying for) growth in the economy to get us out of this mess over the coming years....how will massive tax / cost of living increases to a struggling population promote growth in the economy ?....the US , UK and Europe, on whom we rely massively for investment, are on very shaky ground at the moment.
    How can we achieve growth without getting more people back to work?...how can we get people back to work when they are better off on the dole?...how can people spend what they don't have?....where will the growth come from?....enlighten me please DV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

give up lugha, you are getting slaughtered....
    :) Ha ha. Don’t worry Izzy if the discussion is completely over your head, I assure you that you are not the alone in the “won’t pay” camp in this respect.
    should the govt. stop all donations to third world contries ?....possibly €500m -€700m a year....that's the property tax for next year....would it be "immoral" to do this ?....

First let me congratulate you on your consistency, not an especially common trait on the “won’t pay” side. Cutting this funding is certainly in keeping with your “F*ck everyone but Izzy” philosophy! :)

Not only are you willing to cut loose former private workers, now redundant, with a 50% cut in welfare, but you are now contemplating hitting people who are immeasurably worse off than us (and we can quickly forget that we are, for now (!), still better off that many places)

So once again the Izzy manifesto is: those better of that Izzy (public sector workers) take a hit, those worse off than Izzy (redundant workers and now, the most impoverished people on earth) take a hit, but Izzy, well Izzy ain’t takin’ no hittin’! But as I say, you are at least consistent.

As to whether this is moral or not? I’m not sure if I would describe the cutting of this aid as necessary immoral, though I would certainly cut plenty of other public spending before cutting this. But if it comes to it, we may well have to cut it.

And strategically, it may not be a bad plan to continue in the role of generous benefactor for a little while longer. In 10-15 years, with the way things are going, we might ourselves be hoping that a few rich countries push a few charitable bob our way. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

kulareggae wrote: »

You might be excempt from the current household tax,but there are Indications and hints people in council and social housing will be asked to pay next years property tax.

Today
    Fine Gael TD for Wicklow Andrew Doyle has told Declan Meehan’s Morning Show
    on
    East
    Coast FM
    that it will be extended to people
    renting from local authorities despite the fact that they do not own their own
    homes.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/news/fg-td-suggests-property-tax-will-be-extended-to-renters/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Not sure what you're on about. Overtime, promotions and bonuses aren't limited to the PS.

Not paid for with borrowed money the taxpayer has to pay back with interest though!

maybe we should ask Lugha....Lugha, should the govt. stop all donations to third world contries ?....possibly €500m -€700m a year....that's the property tax for next year....would it be "immoral" to do this ?....you did say recently that in the present economic situation, immoral and unjust actions may need to be taken ?....just curious on your opinion....nothing more.

Well, this is Ireland and this is FG so other countries interests will always come first.

And how many have emigrated since 2008?

ncdadam wrote: »
    Not paid for with borrowed money the taxpayer has to pay back with interest though!
    Not sure what tangent you're attempting to go down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

how did you set up the text alerts on your phone to wake you as soon as anyone posts in this thread?

Hijpo wrote: »
    how did you set up the text alerts on your phone to wake you as soon as anyone posts in this thread?
    Same way you did it I suppose.

Don't try and compare the private sector, wealth generating and tax paying with the public sector, paid for by the above mentioned and state borrowings.

Don't try and compare the private sector, wealth generating and tax paying with the public sector, paid for by the above mentioned and state borrowings.
    I was pointing out that overtime, promotions and bonuses are available in both the public and private sectors - an undeniable fact.
    I don't know what point, if any, you are trying to make.

• Advertisement

I was pointing out that overtime, promotions and bonuses are available in both the public and private sectors - an undeniable fact.
    I don't know what point, if any, you are trying to make.

I think you do, but anyway.

We're borrowing money not just to pay for our PS but also to give PS employees pay increases at a time when the country is running a massive deficit.

Do you think that this is the right thing to be doing right now?

Would a freeze on PS increments not be more suitable until we're out of this mess?

In such a short time on here I can only surmise that you either work in the PS or are connected in some way to the PS.

lugha wrote: »
    :) Ha ha. Don’t worry Izzy if the discussion is completely over your head, I assure you that you are not the alone in the “won’t pay” camp in this respect.

First let me congratulate you on your consistency, not an especially common trait on the “won’t pay” side. Cutting this funding is certainly in keeping with your “F*ck everyone but Izzy” philosophy! :)

Not only are you willing to cut loose former private workers, now redundant, with a 50% cut in welfare, but you are now contemplating hitting people who are immeasurably worse off than us (and we can quickly forget that we are, for now (!), still better off that many places)

So once again the Izzy manifesto is: those better of that Izzy (public sector workers) take a hit, those worse off than Izzy (redundant workers and now, the most impoverished people on earth) take a hit, but Izzy, well Izzy ain’t takin’ no hittin’! But as I say, you are at least consistent.

As to whether this is moral or not? I’m not sure if I would describe the cutting of this aid as necessary immoral, though I would certainly cut plenty of other public spending before cutting this. But if it comes to it, we may well have to cut it.

And strategically, it may not be a bad plan to continue in the role of generous benefactor for a little while longer. In 10-15 years, with the way things are going, we might ourselves be hoping that a few rich countries push a few charitable bob our way. ;)

Lugha, what the hell are you on about "discussion way over my head " ?....I know exactly what I am talking about, my way would save this country, your way is going to give us a slow painful death....it is economic lunacy. It is the pro taxers who conveniently avoid answering uncomfortable questions....afraid of the truth are ye guys?...it's not nice out there in the real world is it?...people emmigrating, loosing their jobs, their homes, their dignity, depression etc.....and all for what?...to support the most wasteful, overpaid system on the planet? to keep european gamblers happy? to save the banks ?....time you guys woke up!!

Please show me where I said “F*ck everyone but Izzy”....I have taken a big hit in take home pay, I am not the problem, the problem and solution lies with you guys and excessive govt. spending, every other household in the country has had to adjust its spending in these recessionary times, why should the state not do the same?....they need to do it to a much greater degree and do it fast....but most importantly, they need to do it BEFORE they start screwing the people, they need to lead by example. Don't worry though, no need for ye to panic, these cuts will never happen to the degree I want them to....so apologies if I appear a bit p!ssed off with the govt. and apologies if I feel I have been screwed enough by them.

Let's sort this out for you once and for all......go back and read my posts properly.....now, can you show me where I said we should have a "50% cut in welfare" or that we should cut foreign aid ?....I mentioned these "options" to get your opinion on whether you considered those options to be unjust / immoral.....do you understand now?.....or is it "way over your head" ?:D.....many people on this thread stated they considered a property tax to be unjust and immoral, you replied that in the present economic situation we don't have a choice and may need to implement unjust / immoral policies...so every option is on the table?...how do we pick and choose what is unjust / immoral? who decides?.

"Izzy manifesto"...?.....is there a "Lugha manifesto" ?....one that states we should ALL take more pain to protect a priviledged, over paid, wasteful, inefficient group of workers from the worst effects of the recession, eventhough it is with them that the greatest spending cuts can be achieved?

"Izzy ain’t takin’ no hittin’!"....well Izzy ain't got a guaranteed job, Izzy ain't got a guaranteed pension, Izzy is paid less than the average ps wage, Izzy ain't costing the state anything, Izzy supports his own family, izzy got a mortgage, Izzy would be better off on the dole .....see my point ?....by trying to introduce this property tax, the govt. have actually given the public a voice......and I am shouting NO MORE !!.

Finally, good to see that you at least accept that we will still be f*cked in 10-15 years time, the way the govt. are going, you could double that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Hijpo wrote: »
    Same way you did it I suppose.

i was just having a look at the other forums i subscribe to after finishing a night shift of overtime to get money to send my son to preschool. so like so many others my OT is to pay for education or the little bit more to pay there mortgage etc etc not to have a piss up or have a good time.

Lugha, what the hell are you on about "discussion way over my head " ?....I know exactly what I am talking about, my way would save this country ….
    But the discussion you waded into was not about how we might save the country, it was about whether there is a particular moral argument against taxing a home that does not apply to other taxes such as income tax. I say there is not.
    your way is going to give us a slow painful death....it is economic lunacy.
    “My way” as you call it, a mix of extensive cuts (though you repeatedly and wrongly imply that I oppose cuts) coupled with some new taxes , is pretty much the solution everyone except you suggests. The debate is about what do you cut and what do you tax, in what proportions and when. Your “no taxes” stance is very much a minority view.

And BTW, in addition to the increase in public spending during the boom years there was also assorted tax cuts. If you are arguing that we should reverse what happened during the boom years ……

And BTW 2, if our current plan is economic lunacy, why is it being endorsed by the Troika? Don’t you think those lads might be half hoping to get their money back?
    Izzy ain't costing the state anything

But was this always the case? Did you receive a private funded education? Did you parents waive your children’s allowance and other benefits when you were growing up, just so Izzy could proclaim that he didn’t cost the state anything? And if you were unfortunate enough to lose your job, would you on principle refuse to accept social welfare? Presumably if you get sick you would not go (on (public roads!) to a public hospital?

You can of course argue that in the here and now, that you are a net contributor to the state. But then, eaten bread is soon forgotten.

And BTW 2, if our current plan is economic lunacy, why is it being endorsed by the Troika? Don’t you think those lads might be half hoping to get their money back?

That, right there, just about sums it up in a nutshell.

No need for any debate about why or how, this latest tax is solely about getting the people to pay back the troika the money we borrowed to fund the excesses in the PS and the banking system.

Ireland, be proud!

That, right there, just about sums it up in a nutshell.

No need for any debate about why or how, this latest tax is solely about getting the people to pay back the troika the money we borrowed to fund the excesses in the PS and the banking system.

Ireland, be proud!
    I think you rather missed the point there. But never mind, I'm beginning to get used to it? :)

I think you rather missed the point there. But never mind, I'm beginning to get used to it? :)

It's hard to follow your points sometimes, your posts seem to meander on a bit.

Some more concise posting might be of benefit.

No offence intended.

But the discussion you waded into was not about how we might save the country, it was about whether there is a particular moral argument against taxing a home that does not apply to other taxes such as income tax. I say there is not.

“My way” as you call it, a mix of extensive cuts (though you repeatedly and wrongly imply that I oppose cuts) coupled with some new taxes , is pretty much the solution everyone except you suggests. The debate is about what do you cut and what do you tax, in what proportions and when. Your “no taxes” stance is very much a minority view.

And BTW, in addition to the increase in public spending during the boom years there was also assorted tax cuts. If you are arguing that we should reverse what happened during the boom years ……

But was this always the case? Did you receive a private funded education? Did you parents waive your children’s allowance and other benefits when you were growing up, just so Izzy could proclaim that he didn’t cost the state anything? And if you were unfortunate enough to lose your job, would you on principle refuse to accept social welfare? Presumably if you get sick you would not go (on (public roads!) to a public hospital?

You can of course argue that in the here and now, that you are a net contributor to the state. But then, eaten bread is soon forgotten.

you say there is no moral arguement against taxing a home, I say there is, my hard work pays your wages, I say you need a pay cut...end of.

I could guarantee you, if you asked the troika would they prefer a mixture of spending cuts / tax increases or just spending cuts they would say just spending cuts....I could guarantee it, however the govt. negotiates with them on these points and the troika agrees, they would get their money back a lot faster my way....fact. My view of "no taxes" is a minority view, does that make it wrong?.....it is a minority view because there is not a hope in hell it would happen, especially given our govt's track record of cutting spending.

There were tax cuts during the boom years, these have all been reversed, very sneakily in many cases, ask people how their take home pay has changed over the past 4 years, and what about the costs of mortgages, transport and living costs?....
    I went to public school, at one point there was over 50 kids in the classroom but most years it was in the high forties!!....how's that for pupil - teacher ratio?
    I do not know what childrens allowance my mother received but back then it was a pittance, besides, back then a big family could survive on the average wage....these days not a hope!
    I have paid a lot more tax, vat duty etc. to the state than my parents or my own family will ever receive from the state, and that is a fact, I pay my excessive motor tax to drive on crap roads,why shouldn't I use the roads? I pay prsi, so why would i not sign on if I was made redundant....where did I say I wouldn't?....I may even like it...who knows?...you have made some very silly points and you loose on all counts.

going to a wedding today, catch up with all you guys tomorrow......

you say there is no moral arguement against taxing a home, I say there is, my hard work pays your wages, I say you need a pay cut...end of.

I could guarantee you, if you asked the troika would they prefer a mixture of spending cuts / tax increases or just spending cuts they would say just spending cuts....I could guarantee it, however the govt. negotiates with them on these points and the troika agrees, they would get their money back a lot faster my way....fact. My view of "no taxes" is a minority view, does that make it wrong?.....it is a minority view because there is not a hope in hell it would happen, especially given our govt's track record of cutting spending.

There were tax cuts during the boom years, these have all been reversed, very sneakily in many cases, ask people how their take home pay has changed over the past 4 years, and what about the costs of mortgages, transport and living costs?....
    I went to public school, at one point there was over 50 kids in the classroom but most years it was in the high forties!!....how's that for pupil - teacher ratio?
    I do not know what childrens allowance my mother received but back then it was a pittance, besides, back then a big family could survive on the average wage....these days not a hope!
    I have paid a lot more tax, vat duty etc. to the state than my parents or my own family will ever receive from the state, and that is a fact, I pay my excessive motor tax to drive on crap roads,why shouldn't I use the roads? I pay prsi, so why would i not sign on if I was made redundant....where did I say I wouldn't?....I may even like it...who knows?...you have made some very silly points and you loose on all counts.

going to a wedding today, catch up with all you guys tomorrow......

Going to a wedding myself Izzy in about an hour.
    Eat, drink and be merry.
    Forget about the ****e on here for a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

You should be.

You've not made much of a point in any of your post this last day or two.

Moral arguments/economic arguments. Both arguments made, dismissed because they didn't suit you (not because they were wrong).

Head firmly buried in the sand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement