Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ncdadam wrote: »
    You tell me....
    Do you want to answer the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Regardless of what they get it for DV, are you advocating the perks and entitlements some of our PS workers receive?
    ? Department of Jobs and Enterprise: a higher duty allowance awarded for temporarily carrying out the duties of a higher grade: €6,111 to €8,097 a year.
    ? Department of Justice: a weekly switchboard allowance of €33.
    ? Department of Defence: Border duty allowance of €96.23 a week and €112 to an officer. An election gratuity allowance of €201 at election time, and an explosive ordnance duty allowance of €92 a day to those who qualify.
    ? Department of the Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht: a 'tool' allowance of €844 a year and a shoe allowance of €60 a year.
    Also, an allowance of €1.71 a day for eating lunch at your desk.
    ? Department of Agriculture: an allowance of €3,087 a year to meat inspectors to compensate for the smell in meat factories and bone meal plants.
    ? Department of the Taoiseach: clothing allowance of €444 a year for staff in the protocol section, and government press officers receive an 'on call' allowance of five hours' overtime at double time every week.
    Also, in the same department, an allowance for franking post of €1,783 a year, and a paper keeper's allowance of €3,176 a year -- a 'historic payment' to the now defunct workers whose responsibilities had included filing, sorting post and record-keeping.
    ? Department of Transport: a railway safety commission on-call allowance of €4,074 a year.
    ? Department of Communications, and Department of Foreign Affairs: a keyholder allowance of €36 a week.
    ? Department of Environment: an eating on-site allowance of €988 a year where canteen facilities are not available.
    ? Department of Social Welfare: forklift allowance of €34.49 a week.
    ? Department of Finance: a seniority allowance, comprising one per cent of the salary paid to higher civil servants.

Austerity measures only applies to private workers i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Can't believe those allowances

Ghandee wrote: »
    Regardless of what they get it for DV, are you advocating the perks and entitlements some of our PS workers receive?
    No. They should all be looked at, many possibly scrapped; its hard to say if, for example, the eating lunch at the desk allowance is value for money or not. It might be of fantastic benefit to the state, so I wouldnt be calling for it to be scrapped blindly without knowing more.

Are you advocating scrapping them regardless of what they get them for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Ghandee wrote: »

Austerity measures only applies to private workers i think.

Ghandee, You are in Kildare like me.

Talking about allowances, wasn't there UPROAR over some person working for KCC given an allowance to attend a days racing at Punchestown? It may be rescinded by now, but man some of the perks are real eye-openers:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Ghandee, You are in Kildare like me.

Talking about allowances, wasn't there UPROAR over some person working for KCC given an allowance to attend a days racing at Punchestown? It may be rescinded by now, but man some of the perks are real eye-openers:eek:

Look, the PS up until last year I think were given paid time off to cash their pay cheques and a half a day paid leave to do their Christmas shopping!

That's the kind of sense of entitlement we're paying for.

dvpower wrote: »
    No. They should all be looked at, many possibly scrapped; its hard to say if, for example, the eating lunch at the desk allowance is value for money or not. It might be of fantastic benefit to the state, so I wouldnt be calling for it to be scrapped blindly without knowing more.

Are you advocating scrapping them regardless of what they get them for?

All allowances above the standard wage should be scrapped.
    If people aren't happy getting on average €300 more weekly than the same person in the private sector then they know where the dole office is.
    There's 450,000 people out there who'd gladly replace them.

If people aren't happy getting on average €300 more weekly than the same person in the private sector then they know where the dole office is.

Hear Hear NCDadam!!!

I was in construction until 2009, got retrenched, and had an opportunity to go work for myself after 3 months of collecting the dole.

I was on over €5,000/mth, now ( working for myself) on about 1/4 of that. I am living from day to day. If my van were to calf, that's me screwed. But what option do I have? I can't go back on the dole ( even though I pay PRSI ) so I just have to grin and bare it.

It really galls me that there are PS out there who have not got a fu**ing clue just how lucky they are. Of course they are being taught by their leaders....the government who have no idea how to lead by example.:mad::mad::mad:

So regardless of any value for money analysis, all non core pay allowances should be scrapped!!!

Luckily for the rest of us, reactionaries don't tend to get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The public sector is far smaller in terms of numbers employed than the private sector. The tens of thousands of minimum wage jobs in the likes of the retail sector, hotels, bars etc drag down the private sector average. Top level management wouldn't get out bed for the remuneration packages available in the public sector.

Ultimately, it's no surprise that a sector that employs doctors, teachers, judges etc has a higher average salary than one that takes in shelf stackers, cleaners and other traditionally poorly paid employees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Hear Hear NCDadam!!!

I was in construction until 2009, got retrenched, and had an opportunity to go work for myself after 3 months of collecting the dole.

I was on over €5,000/mth, now ( working for myself) on about 1/4 of that. I am living from day to day. If my van were to calf, that's me screwed. But what option do I have? I can't go back on the dole ( even though I pay PRSI ) so I just have to grin and bare it.

It really galls me that there are PS out there who have not got a fu**ing clue just how lucky they are. Of course they are being taught by their leaders....the government who have no idea how to lead by example.:mad::mad::mad:

The government don't lead anything - we have a permanent shadow government in this country regardless of whatever party is in power, the public service. Behind the scenes, mystery con men earning sums that would make private company execs (that actually contribute something to the economy) drool with envy.

All these quangos in this country sprung up overnight. Jobs for the boys. And none of them will be touched because it would be political suicide. Banana Republic.

So regardless of any value for money analysis, all non core pay allowances should be scrapped!!!

Luckily for the rest of us, reactionaries don't tend to get into power.

Luckily for 290,000 of you, yes.

Value for money?

You've definitely got the makings of a stand up show dv.

Funny.

Luckily for 290,000 of you, yes.

Value for money?

You've definitely got the makings of a stand up show dv.

Funny.
    Value for money analysis I said!
    Literacy levels are gone to the dogs. I blame the teachers.

Value for money analysis I said!
    Literacy levels are gone to the dogs. I blame the teachers.

Ha ha ha, your so funny. 3 in a row, me sides are splitting!! Stop, will ya!!:D

K3lso wrote: »
    The government don't lead anything - we have a permanent shadow government in this country regardless of whatever party is in power, the public service. Behind the scenes, mystery con men earning sums that would make private company execs (that actually contribute something to the economy) drool with envy.

All these quangos in this country sprung up overnight. Jobs for the boys. And none of them will be touched because it would be political suicide. Banana Republic.

And here's me thinking this government were going to have a cull on quangos, at least that's what they said when they were looking for votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

Look, the PS up until last year I think were given paid time off to cash their pay cheques and a half a day paid leave to do their Christmas shopping!

That's the kind of sense of entitlement we're paying for.

don't forget "the Kings Birthday" and "Empire Day" days off...
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1021881.shtml

...unbelievable !!.....why are the troika letting the govt. off with this expenditure?....because the govt. ,during their dirty secret little meetings with the troika, negotiated where they would cut and tax....looks like us ordinary workers have been shafted big time.....but we all knew that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

from the finfacts website..."Gardaí not only retire at the age of 50 with full pension rights, but are also allowed to choose the three base years which determine their final award - - good overtime years are the default choice."
    why are they allowed retire from 50?....I will have to wait until I'm 68, and it will probably be more than that by the time I reach that age.
    Why are they allowed choose which 3 years to determine the pension?.....many in the private sector who retired in the 3/4 years have seen their pensions decimated...and the govt. are currently "stealing" 0.6% of private pension funds until 2014.
    Is there not an equality issue here?....discrimination?....come on Alan Shatter, there is plenty of inequality for you to sort out in this banana republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    from the finfacts website..."Gardaí not only retire at the age of 50 with full pension rights, but are also allowed to choose the three base years which determine their final award - - good overtime years are the default choice."
    why are they allowed retire from 50?....I will have to wait until I'm 68, and it will probably be more than that by the time I reach that age.
    Why are they allowed choose which 3 years to determine the pension?.....many in the private sector who retired in the 3/4 years have seen their pensions decimated...and the govt. are currently "stealing" 0.6% of private pension funds until 2014.
    Is there not an equality issue here?....discrimination?....come on Alan Shatter, there is plenty of inequality for you to sort out in this banana republic.

I checked that out last year as it was on another thread. Apparently a Garda can retire at 50 if he has 30 years service. The vast majority of them do work on till 60 I believe. It is something to do with fitness, eyesight and mobility similar to the Army I was led to believe.

On another scandalous topic -- 600 million to be given to the bondholders tomorrow. That would sort out several hospitals.
    Couldn't find the original thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭Invincible

This is a barefaced lie.

Watch this space!
    I heard it from a reputable source, council in neighbouring county was where it originated.

I checked that out last year as it was on another thread. Apparently a Garda can retire at 50 if he has 30 years service. The vast majority of them do work on till 60 I believe. It is something to do with fitness, eyesight and mobility similar to the Army I was led to believe.

On another scandalous topic -- 600 million to be given to the bondholders tomorrow. That would sort out several hospitals.
    Couldn't find the original thread.

Nobody who is paid by the taxpayer, politicians, PS workers, CS workers, absolutely nobody should be entitled to a pension until the retirement age set by the government, which is 68.

• Advertisement

Nobody who is paid by the taxpayer, politicians, PS workers, CS workers, absolutely nobody should be entitled to a pension until the retirement age set by the government, which is 68.

The real losers in this ( yet another ill timed ) debacle is those reaching 65, expecting a pension, but have to live off thier own private ( if they have one) pension, as they won't be getting a state pension until next year when they reach 66.

Truly shocking state of affairs this!:mad:

The real losers in this ( yet another ill timed ) debacle is those reaching 65, expecting a pension, but have to live off thier own private ( if they have one) pension, as they won't be getting a state pension until next year when they reach 66.

Truly shocking state of affairs this!:mad:

Ahern, cowan and the rest of the rats that jumped off the sinking ship before the last election are getting their full pension though.
    Most of them aren't near retirement age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Has the discussion over the Household Charge ended?

I think after a few of the pro-taxers seen where their money was really headed, they maybe decided they would no longer fund these junkets either Bishop.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/health-minister-reilly-shafted-cabinet-backs-croke-perks-3216960.html

Hope not.

Watched the news tonight and the govt (? ) did a u-turn on aspects of the HSC reforms announced last week.

It was also announced today the gas price is increasing by MORE than BG wanted.

These bunch of clowns are really ending up with egg on their faces, hopefully, they'll do a u-turn on this HHC also! I have a feeling we are in for a winter of 'discontent'!

Where were ya Bishop ?

Hope not.

Watched the news tonight and the govt (? ) did a u-turn on aspects of the HSC reforms announced last week.

It was also announced today the gas price is increasing by MORE than BG wanted.

These bunch of clowns are really ending up with egg on their faces, hopefully, they'll do a u-turn on this HHC also! I have a feeling we are in for a winter of 'discontent'!

I'm delighted they reversed these cuts to PA's. What a cruel fcuking shower to even think of doing this to the most vulnerable people in society.
    They also allowed Bord Gais to raise the price of gas by 8.5% too. They should not have allowed that when everyone is struggling and us coming into another winter. They must want old people to die off.

Yeah - its been mostly about other stuff for months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Good article by Shane Ross in case anyone missed it

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/shane-ross/shane-ross-choke-property-tax-at-birth-3216851.html

This time it is the jackboot method. The taxman can cut off the family home tax at source. You will never have to send it to them because it will be snatched from your pay packet. They will do it this way because they know you cannot afford to pay the tax.

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Good article by Shane Ross in case anyone missed it

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/shane-ross/shane-ross-choke-property-tax-at-birth-3216851.html

This time it is the jackboot method. The taxman can cut off the family home tax at source. You will never have to send it to them because it will be snatched from your pay packet. They will do it this way because they know you cannot afford to pay the tax.

Interesting reading there alright.
    I particularly liked his closing words on culling quangos.
    Ain't gonna happen though I'm afraid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement