Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

my favourite bit is...

'ALL that has been decided," protested the Minister for Finance Michael Noonan dismissively last week, "is that there will be a property tax on family homes and that property tax will be collected by the Revenue Commissioners."

this guy is supposed to be budgeting for the coming year and he doesnt have any figures yet.

registering to pay this tax is akin to walking into a car showroom and handing a dodgy salesman 20k and hoping for the best he doesnt give you out an 88' opel corsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

bgrizzley wrote: »

Prepare for unrest in Dublin town.
    Do not be fooled by whispers of waivers. Do not be deceived by the looming public relations charade: a big spin is on the way. Watch out for the monstrous red herring that trophy houses will be hit hardest. And indeed they will. But the Taoiseach has determined that the nation needs €500m from this tax in the Budget. You do not raise €500m from trophy houses. Certainly not from waivers. You raise it from semi-detached houses in middle-class Dublin housing estates.
    Dubliners will be worst hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Quote:
    Do not be fooled by whispers of waivers. Do not be deceived by the looming public relations charade: a big spin is on the way. Watch out for the monstrous red herring that trophy houses will be hit hardest. And indeed they will. But the Taoiseach has determined that the nation needs €500m from this tax in the Budget. You do not raise €500m from trophy houses. Certainly not from waivers. You raise it from semi-detached houses in middle-class Dublin housing estates.
    Dubliners will be worst hit.
    Today 11:21

Man doesn't know what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What annoyed me this week was the hyprocrisy of Enda and co. in congratulating the Special Olympics athletes while sneakily slashing the assistance paid to the disabled. How low is that?
    At the same time they are handing over 600 million to unguaranteed bondholders. Have I seen anything about it on the R.T.E. News? No as I believe their mouthpiece T.V. station has been again muzzled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

What annoyed me this week was the hyprocrisy of Enda and co. in congratulating the Special Olympics athletes while sneakily slashing the assistance paid to the disabled. How low is that?
    At the same time they are handing over 600 million to unguaranteed bondholders. Have I seen anything about it on the R.T.E. News? No as I believe their mouthpiece T.V. station has been again muzzled.

They'e not the Special Olympics athletes.

And do you think he should not have congratulated the Paralympians?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

At the same time they are handing over 600 million to unguaranteed bondholders.

Which bondholder repayment are you talking about?

Valetta wrote: »
    They'e not the Special Olympics athletes.

And do you think he should not have congratulated the Paralympians?

1. I do think he should congratulate the athletes.
    2. I don't think he should have cut their PA allowances.

No 2 is hypocritical after doing No1 in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

You are totally missing the point. The Special olympics are not on. It is the para olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Did he cut PA allowances to some of the Olympians?

You are totally missing the point. The Special olympics are not on. It is the para olympics.

The point still stands.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Reckon the outstanding HHC will be quietly forgotten about once they try to bring in the Property tax.
    That'll be another massive **** up too, this shower couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery!

newtabhttp//www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/fergus-finlay/why-we-should-march-in-support-of-disabled-people-over-10m-cutbacks-206293

newtabhttp//www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/fergus-finlay/why-we-should-march-in-support-of-disabled-people-over-10m-cutbacks-206293

Link not working, taytolover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

, 600million euro to Anglo unsecured on 3rd of Sept past.
    One billion to AIB unsecured bond holders due Oct 1st (1. 6billion = 10 years of hhc payments in less than 30 days)

More to come, lots more.....
    http://bondwatchireland.blogspot.ie/2012/09/the-dirty-dozen-we-sep-9th-2012.html?m=1

ncdadam wrote: »
    Link not working, taytolover.

Can't seem to get it to work but here's some of it --

Why we should march in support of disabled people over €10m cutbacks
    By Fergus Finlay
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012
    THERE’LL be a protest outside the Dáil this afternoon.
    I hope it’s massive, that thousands of people turn up to show solidarity and support. And more than that, to make their anger clear.

Perhaps the protest, and the anger, should be about the €600 million we paid out yesterday to the bond-holders in Anglo-Irish Bank, who gambled heavily and will get all their money back. But it won’t be. It will be about €10m instead.

The protest will be led by people for whom protesting is usually very difficult. Getting there will involve overcoming a lot of barriers. But for many of them, that’s what daily life involves anyway. Getting over barriers. A lot of the barriers and obstacles they have to overcome are put there by the rest of us — physical barriers sometimes, but attitudinal ones more often.

They are people with physical disabilities. You know them, or some of them anyway, because we’re all hoarse from cheering them on in the Paralympics. We admire them enormously when they overcome their disabilities to bring honour and respect to their country. We marvel at their strength and grace and courage. And then we cut off the supports that mean the difference between life and death for them.

They are people who can’t rise and wash and dress without support, who can’t leave their homes without support, who can’t hold down a job without support. It’s not, in any case, because of a lack of ability. It’s because of a disability.

Ghandee wrote: »
    One billion to AIB unsecured bond holders due Oct 1st (1. 6billion = 10 years of hhc payments in less than 30 days)

More to come, lots more.....
    http://bondwatchireland.blogspot.ie/2012/09/the-dirty-dozen-we-sep-9th-2012.html?m=1

And Ghandee, the word there is 'unsecured'.
    We are being royally screwed by europe and why wouldn't we be, they know we have a servile leader who prides himself on the fact that he has never asked for, nor never will ask for a write down of our debt.

'Fighting Irish'? more like 'Spineless Irish'.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's not unsecured. That's covered bonds.

That makes it ok so!

Covered by whom?

Did Anglo need bailed out?

What about the billion for AIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

the country needs to borrow money.........they have to show that they can be trusted by paying money back......otherwise they will not get loans....at reasonable rates

• Advertisement

the country needs to borrow money.........they have to show that they can be trusted by paying money back......otherwise they will not get loans....at reasonable rates

If you took an unsecured loan out from AIB.
    One year later and you couldn't pay back loan, because your employer went bust, AIB come knocking looking to seize your house against value of the loan.

Would you hand it over?

That makes it ok so!

Do you know what a covered bond is?

Is it when you put a mesh over it to stop the cats getting at your fish ? :D

Who has 'covered' the bond?

Who has 'covered' the bond?

More like what has covered the bond, i.e. the assets used to secure it.

I presume you mean secured bond.

That's not what I asked though.

The bonds were covered by whom?

I don't think they were covered by the Irish state (but I'm guessing here) yet that's who repaid it....... (ie, us)

IBRC's assets?

E
    IBRC's assets?

A name change is all....

• Advertisement

I presume you mean secured bond.

Covered bonds are a type of secured bond.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement