Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Donalg1 sounds like someone in an abusive relationship.
    "I know the Govt keeps hitting me but its probably my fault for not paying enough attention to them"
    FFS there is still ample money enough in the state if we can afford to pay councillors €200,000. Blaming cash strapped individuals who cannot or will not on principal support this gravy train is farking stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Are you wired to the moon?

No but maybe you are wired to the Govt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Donalg1 sounds like someone in an abusive relationship.
    "I know the Govt keeps hitting me but its probably my fault for not paying enough attention to them"
    FFS there is still ample money enough in the state if we can afford to pay councillors €200,000. Blaming cash strapped individuals who cannot or will not on principal support this gravy train is farking stupid.

Yes there is ample money but guess what the gravy train will rumble on regardless. Using the fact they get paid so much as an excuse is just another one in a long list people have used to not pay the HHC.

Again the salaries of these lads will be paid regardless of collection rates of the HHC whereas the budgets of LA's will be cut as a result of the collection rates of the HHC.

Saying you are not paying because the Mayor of Cork earns x amount is a load of crap really, you are not paying because you can avoid it and think you will get away with it simple as that.

You must think that by not paying it the Govt will say "hang on here lads, people arent paying the HHC so there wont be as much money to go around next year as we had hoped so we should take a pay cut", and believing this is either very very stupid or very very naive. Does anyone here actually believe that by not paying the HHC the Govt will be forced to take a pay cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

donalg1 wrote: »
    Yes there is ample money but guess what the gravy train will rumble on regardless.

When you are stoking it with coal it will anyway.......

Yes there is ample money but guess what the gravy train will rumble on regardless.

Because you and your kind just grin and bare it.
    You were asked before if you are on the gravy train...well?

• Advertisement

Because you and your kind just grin and bare it.
    You were asked before if you are on the gravy train...well?

And what is my kind exactly, oh let me guess sheep!! Or do you mean by my kind a law abiding citizen, or to put it another way not a criminal.

Oh and no I am not on the gravy train, if I was I would be sitting in a 5 star hotel somewhere having a few beers and a nice meal.

mikom wrote: »
    When you are stoking it with coal it will anyway.......

My €100 will have no affect on TD's Salaries and expenses, they would be getting this regardless. My €100 will have an affect on Housing Grants for the Disabled though.

And what is my kind exactly, oh let me guess sheep!! Or do you mean by my kind a law abiding citizen, or to put it another way not a criminal.

Oh and no I am not on the gravy train, if I was I would be sitting in a 5 star hotel somewhere having a few beers and a nice meal.

Your kind are the hand wringers who say "Sure what can we do!!!!! Think of the children!!!!!! Dont rock the boat!!!!

This thing about it being law is tiresome. Would you comply with absolutely anything so long as it was labeled 'the law"?
    This is what your basic argument boils down to.
    So if it is law tomorrow that you have to sell your Granny to slavers ......?

This thing about it being law is tiresome. Would you comply with absolutely anything so long as it was labeled 'the law"?

Well I dont make a habit of breaking the law if thats what you mean. I do my best to abide by the laws of this country as I would not deem it to be acceptable behaviour to break the laws. Is it tiresome to you because the law gets in the way of you doing what you want when you want and because sometimes the laws of this country cost you money?

Well I dont make a habit of breaking the law if thats what you mean. I do my best to abide by the laws of this country as I would not deem it to be acceptable behaviour to break the laws. Is it tiresome to you because the law gets in the way of you doing what you want when you want and because sometimes the laws of this country cost you money?

Me neither except when the law is seen to be an ass, to be unfair and to be self serving to an elite minority. I have principles you, (Sorry) are a sheep.

• Advertisement

Me neither except when the law is seen to be an ass, to be unfair and to be self serving to an elite minority. I have principles you, (Sorry) are a sheep.

Wow a sheep well done, how long did it take you to come up with that one. :rolleyes:

I prefer the expression law abiding. I prefer it to tax evader anyway, or I prefer it to criminal and I definitely prefer it to being known as one of the people directly responsible for someone having to do without a grant for alterations to their house after they have been in an accident and need disabled access to their home.

Wow a sheep well done, how long did it take you to come up with that one. :rolleyes:

I prefer the expression law abiding. I prefer it to tax evader anyway, or I prefer it to criminal and I definitely prefer it to being known as one of the people directly responsible for someone having to do without a grant for alterations to their house after they have been in an accident and need disabled access to their home.

Not to be melodramatic but you are using labels. Mandela and Ghandee were technically terrorists and subversive (Not a great comparison but you get my drift). I may be technically breaking the law but I do so for a good reason. You take your line because ....you.....are ....a....sheep....... who is propping up the shepherd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

a citizen would be quite within their rights to refuse to pay a tax that was recommended on the basis that when introduced it would be on par with other countries....

when the tax was being introduced by an executive that pays itself and it's administrators far above the par level of those other countries....

the constitution would not allow such treatment of the private individual........imo...

Not to be melodramatic but you are using labels. Mandela and Ghandee were technically terrorists and subversive (Not a great comparison but you get my drift). I may be technically breaking the law but I do so for a good reason. You take your line because ....you.....are ....a....sheep....... who is propping up the shepherd.

Labels? And by labels do you mean calling someone a sheep because they pay their taxes? Well I guess we are all sheep then as we all pay taxes. So by that reasoning you too are a sheep.

You break the law for a good reason and what pray tell is that reason I would love a bit of a laugh. (i already know the reason why you are breaking the law its because you dont want to pay €100 and think you can get away with it);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

:eek:

Ghandee wrote: »
    :eek:

I thought that was a bit harsh on you too Ghandee

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Have you ever gone to the cinema in Northern Ireland on a Sunday?
    Because according to http://www.propertypal.com/property-news/crazy-irish-laws-past-and-present you have broken the law :)

In relation to the charge, I know of at least 10 people who have never gotten any communication whatsoever about it, not even the first information sheet that got shoved through the letter box, what is going to happen to them when they get dragged to court for non payment and the prosecution cant prove that they were notified or received any notice to pay at all?

jimoc wrote: »
    Because according to http://www.propertypal.com/property-news/crazy-irish-laws-past-and-present you have broken the law :)

In relation to the charge, I know of at least 10 people who have never gotten any communication whatsoever about it, not even the first information sheet that got shoved through the letter box, what is going to happen to them when they get dragged to court for non payment and the prosecution cant prove that they were notified or received any notice to pay at all?

No I have never gone to the Cinema in Northern Ireland on a Sunday or any day for that matter.

They wont be dragged to court for not paying.

jimoc wrote: »

Already asked this.

According to one prolific poster on here, ignorance of the law is no excuse lol.

I compared it to being brought to court, let's say for non payment of a speeding ticket you didn't know you got (let's say an automatic speeding camera), you were unaware you had been issued a ticket, it certainly wasn't posted to your address, and no one has any record of the ticket getting issued or sent out.

A summons to court for non payment of something you knew nothing about would legally (IMO) have to be thrown out of court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I would not deem it to be acceptable behaviour to break the laws

This its the law argument is a bit tiring-as if to say all laws or taxes are just and should be followed no matter what-Throughout history to the present day people have fought and resisted unjust laws-Lech Wałęsa resisted unjust laws under soviet rule-women have fought against unjust laws denying them the right in vote-Manal Al-Sharif presently in Saudi Arabia is fighting against unjust laws denying women the right to drive-Gandhi resisted unjust laws under British rule,In Boliva in the late 90s the state passed laws making it Illegal to collect rainwater for use the people fought back and resisted that unjust law,Rosa Parks fought against unjust laws when she refused to give up her seat on a bus for a white person,Il move onto unjust taxes, a lot of people have prob never heard of the Jizyah Tax, as explained.

Jizyah or jizya (جزْي) is the extra tax imposed on
    non-Muslims

who live under Muslim rule

the
    ruler can impose a taxation on those non-Muslims who will not convert to
    Islam.

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Jizyah_(Tax)

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=276371

I could go further on about unjust laws/taxes-but Im sure you get the picture.
    I would not deem it to be acceptable behaviour to break the laws

I finish by asking you the following questions- If the Irish government were to pass new laws making it Illegal to collect rainwater, denying women the right to drive,for a black person to give up a seat on a bus for a white person, If the Irish government were to bring in a new tax equivalent to a Jizyah Tax on people to try persuade people to convert to a certain religion, do you think people should blinding obey such laws and pay such taxes without question ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Good article in the journal today about dissent in the labour ranks-I think some of them know if there,s not a change in direction labour will get a hammering in the next local and national elections.
    Secondly, we believe that public finances should be repaired by taxation on high income groups.
    Finally, we are calling for the suspension of all promissory note payments and negotiation of a new deal based on a complete write-down of bank debt.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-were-labour-members-but-were-not-happy-with-the-party-592582-Sep2012/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Labels? And by labels do you mean calling someone a sheep because they pay their taxes? Well I guess we are all sheep then as we all pay taxes. So by that reasoning you too are a sheep.

You break the law for a good reason and what pray tell is that reason I would love a bit of a laugh. (i already know the reason why you are breaking the law its because you dont want to pay €100 and think you can get away with it);)
    I just know thyat you are the type who sat throught the end of Dead poets Society 'tut tutting' at those naughty boys standing on their school desks and being bold...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Already asked this.

According to one prolific poster on here, ignorance of the law is no excuse lol.

I compared it to being brought to court, let's say for non payment of a speeding ticket you didn't know you got (let's say an automatic speeding camera), you were unaware you had been issued a ticket, it certainly wasn't posted to your address, and no one has any record of the ticket getting issued or sent out.

A summons to court for non payment of something you knew nothing about would legally (IMO) have to be thrown out of court.
    Other than TV, radio and boards i have had no notice of this tax. The Tv also tells me to eat at McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Other than TV, radio and boards i have had no notice of this tax. The Tv also tells me to eat at McDonalds.
    Other than massive and sustained media coverage over the last year, I've never heard of this new charge :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Highlighted above for you there ncdadam. Personally I dont think it is funny that people with disabilities are losing out on services because people wont pay their HHC.

You've obviously never heard of sarcasm.
    The LMAO was aimed at your immature posts blaming the 600,000 personally who won't pay the HHC on cuts to the disabled grants budget.
    If your so sure this is the case then show me a source or some facts to back this up.
    If you can't, stop digging.

dvpower wrote: »
    Other than massive and sustained media coverage over the last year, I've never heard of this new charge :)

I've no internet, no TV, no radio, and i can't read your honour.;)

ncdadam wrote: »
    You've obviously never heard of sarcasm.
    The LMAO was aimed at your immature posts blaming the 600,000 personally who won't pay the HHC on cuts to the disabled grants budget.
    If your so sure this is the case then show me a source or some facts to back this up.
    If you can't, stop digging.
    He also knows posters REAL motives for not paying this tax. He knows things...he just does....

I've no internet, no TV, no radio, and i can't read your honour.;)
    The media also said that we would receive written notification.....several times.... You cant believe anything...:D

Ghandee is a terrorist?
    He's one of the best posters on this thread.
    Shocked:eek:

• Advertisement

He also knows posters REAL motives for not paying this tax. He knows things...he just does....

But he can sleep at night full of the wonderful knowledge that he's done his bit and we're directly responsible for invalids not getting their grants.
    Mind you, it wasn't us who had disabled people outside Leinster house all night last week in the cold fighting for their lives.
    No, that was the HSE and their proposed cuts, brought about because the minister can't touch pay in the HSE because of the CPA.
    Maybe a few of the PS crowd on here bleating about the HHC not being paid should have a good look at themselves first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement