Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

darkhorse wrote: »
    Why would they give you a grant to insulate your house? I know they exist, cause I know a lot of people who availed of them.

They gave grants to the elderly to insulate their houses as this was a nice thing to do.

I wanted to know why they would now decide to give people grants to replumb their house in order to save money on water charges. Especially when you consider how little money the LA's have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

So in the long run its a money grabbing exercise. If it was an environmental decision, which it should be, they could apply to europe for funding on those grounds.

When i said replumb, i meant implement a system such as you suggested not completely replumb the entire house.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donalg1 wrote: »
    The Council are saying to the parents you give us €100 and we will pay €2000 or more for your childs third level education, I fail to see what the problem is here. The alternative is for the parents to say "no we arent paying the HHC and will therefore pay for our child to go to college", its very straight forward.

So someone who genuinely cannot afford the 100e HHC will also be punished by being denied the Education Grant too?
    Great country we live in now if that's the case. That kind of logic is breathtaking.

The Council are saying to the parents you give us €100 and we wi ll pay €2000 or more for your childs third level education, I fail to see what the problem is here. The alternative is for the parents to say "no we arent paying the HHC and will therefore pay for our child to go to college", its very straight forward.

So someone who genuinely cannot afford the 100e HHC will also be punished by being denied the Education Grant too?
    Great country we live in now if that's the case. That kind of logic is breathtaking.

No they aren't being denied the grant they are being told they will get the grant quicker if they pay the hhc. Or in other words they are saying they will process the applications of those that have paid the hhc before those that haven't paid it perfectly fair imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

ncdadam wrote: »
    Absolute bullsh1te.
    In fact I've never heard such a load of tripe in all my life.
    The scrapings from the bottom of the barrel of bullsh1te arguments.
    Alas you are not alone. There are plenty here who are completely unable to see what is blindingly obvious. And surely is it blindingly obvious that one of the obvious advantages about having a house, whether you bought it, were bequeathed one by a relative, were given the use of us free by the state or whatever, is that you benefit to the tune of what you would otherwise have to pay in rent. One wonders why you bought a home if you do not see this clear monetary advantage to having one?
    I do not depend on nobody else and if I dont have the money to maintain it, I have to borrow the money, and pay it back on top of my mortgage, not instead of it.

It is for this reason that I think it immoral and unjust for me to have to pay a tax on my home.
    Yes it is immoral. This is another charge, which the govt. brought in 2009, in my opinion to add to the pot for to pay bondholders. Otherwise, why was it not brought in decades ago.

Well these are two very different reasons why taxing your home (or any house) is immoral. And both are different from the earlier one you gave (i.e. you already paid tax via stamp duty).

So the first thing I would have to say is that is your are citing three completely different arguments as THE reason why it is immoral it gives the impression that you are not to convinced yourself about the whole immoral line. ;)

Anyway, to the two reasons above:

The first (because you pay yourself to maintain your home). Well you would pay yourself to maintain a car. So why is it not equally immoral (as opposed to unfair, which is how most would describe it) to tax this? What sets your home apart?

The second (because the tax will be used to bail out bondholders). Leaving aside the fact that only a small portion will be used in this way, could you not equally argue that every other austere measure, including the USC, the various cuts to SW and any new taxes we will be asked to pay (and we will) are equally immoral as they too will, in part, pay off banking debts? So once again, what sets your home apart?

Maybe its time you all admitted that Enda Kenny was talking through his hat a bit when he said that taxing the home was immoral! You are jumping from one flimsy and feeble argument to another. If you or anyone else really could argue that it was immoral you would present a solid, stand up, irrefutable F*** off argument. But nobody has yet made one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

I would assume some savvy plumbers will be training and figuring out ways to divert rain water to toilets so this is used to flush them rather than fresh water people pay for, I for one have already been thinking of ways to collect rain water and use it to flush my toilets and I am not a plumber.

I had an idea. Do ya know that deal that you're talking about, where someone gives you 100, then you give them 2000. Well, with the 100 that you have, just buy bottled water and put it in the cistern. That way, ya would'nt have to touch the plumbing, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Received my 3rd and final bully letter from south dublin county council telling me for to pay up or else ''the legislation also allows for the pursuance of this charge through a legal process,please note that legal proceedings will be initiated if payment is not received within 10 days from the date of this letter.these proceedings could ultimately lead to conviction,for which you will be liable to pay all associated costs and expenses''. Heavy stuff.anyone else receive a letter like this and if so, what is your plan?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

tiny timy wrote: »
    Received my 3rd and final bully letter from south dublin county council telling me for to pay up or else ''the legislation also allows for the pursuance of this charge through a legal process,please note that legal proceedings will be initiated if payment is not received within 10 days from the date of this letter.these proceedings could ultimately lead to conviction,for which you will be liable to pay all associated costs and expenses''. Heavy stuff.anyone else receive a letter like this and if so, what is your plan?
    Thanks

Did you receive the first invoice, or just reminder letters?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Did you receive the first invoice, or just reminder letters?[/Quote]

Just two previous reminder letters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

bamboozle wrote: »

its just a shock to the system for some people in our society who have gone through life with their hand out expecting the state to fork out for everything, now for a change have to put their hands in their pockets and make a contribution themselves.

You mean like a good percentage of LA renters and people in private rented houses on the RAS scheme and people qualified for rental allowance?
    Oh wait, they don't have to pay for their local services...
    Maybe you'd be better off keeping your trollish posts to yourself.

• Advertisement

Do ya not know that you are talking to a clever person there nc. Sure, anyone who thinks that you can invest €100 for a return of €2000, I would be behind an astute business brain like him. Far behind him, in this case.

With a business brain like that he must work in the PS, it's the reason every department in the country gets its sums wrong.

I

I havent as yet thought about the possibility of the Government giving me money towards this though, maybe I just dont have the sense of entitlement others seem to have.

Are these mystery water grants only available to PS workers?

They gave grants to the elderly to insulate their houses as this was a nice thing to do.

I wanted to know why they would now decide to give people grants to replumb their house in order to save money on water charges. Especially when you consider how little money the LA's have.

They give grants to anyone who wants to insulate their home, thus saving on the use of fossil fules and making for a cleaner environment.
    There is also grants for upgrading your boiler and heating controls for the same reason.

They being SEAI, funded by EU structural funding and not the local authorities.

Get your facts right.

lugha wrote: »
    Alas you are not alone. There are plenty here who are completely unable to see what is blindingly obvious. And surely is it blindingly obvious that one of the obvious advantages about having a house, whether you bought it, were bequeathed one by a relative, were given the use of us free by the state or whatever, is that you benefit to the tune of what you would otherwise have to pay in rent. One wonders why you bought a home if you do not see this clear monetary advantage to having one?

Its a trollish argument lugha, I thought you were better than that.
    Big difference between being in negative equity and having a mortgage to pay, than being left a house or bumming off the state for your housing needs.

I havent as yet thought about the possibility of the Government giving me money towards this though, maybe I just dont have the sense of entitlement others seem to have.

This sense of entitlement that you are talking about, is that the thing that most politicians have where their annual expenses exceed by far what a lot of average paid workers, who have f**k all of a disposable income, get as remuneration. Lead by example.

This sense of entitlement that you are talking about, is that the thing that most politicians have where their annual expenses exceed by far what a lot of average paid workers, who have f**k all of a disposable income, get as remuneration. Lead by example.

Politicians do lead by example, the Hulk Hogan is a charge dodger too.
    Wallace and that other FG chap are tax dodgers and then the Healy Eames's, well they refuse to pay the tradesmen contracted to do a job and then hire another lad and pay him in cash!
    Oh yea, then there is the matter of having her car impounded for non payment of motor tax and there was the train fare episode as well.
    We could go on about Reilly being in breach of a high court order too but what's the point, to the PT crowd these are shining examples.

I don't think that my thirty something and forty something neighbours would like you refering to them as "the elderly".

I see they've made great inroads to cut the farcical allowances in the PS/CS.

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/20746769/?view=Standard

They give grants to anyone who wants to insulate their home, thus saving on the use of fossil fules and making for a cleaner environment.
    There is also grants for upgrading your boiler and heating controls for the same reason.

They being SEAI, funded by EU structural funding and not the local authorities.

Get your facts right.

Ha ha seriously you want to start with me again really. Read my post I said gave as in past tense which they did do at one stage. So leave it out oh and get your facts right.

I don't think that my thirty something and forty something neighbours would like you refering to them as "the elderly".

I don't think your neighbours got their grant from the council though as these were for over 60's only or maybe 65's can't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Big difference between being in negative equity and having a mortgage to pay, than being left a house or bumming off the state for your housing needs.
    Neither of which has anything to do with whether you house generates income or not.

If you still insist your house does not, perhaps you would vacate it and give it to me? I'm pretty sure I could get it to generate a few quid for me? :pac:

(Weren't you in the building game? I'd say you have a seriously fine pad! :P)

Ha ha seriously you want to start with me again really. Read my post I said gave as in past tense which they did do at one stage. So leave it out oh and get your facts right.

Ah donal, daddy dv must be so proud!
    It'd bring a tear to a stone to see a father and son on boards together.
    Ha ha ha!

I

Are these mystery water grants only available to PS workers?

What grants are they then?

Neither of which has anything to do with whether you house generates income or not.

If you still insist your house does not, perhaps you would vacate it and give it to me? I'm pretty sure I could get it to generate a few quid for me? :pac:

(Weren't you in the building game? I'd say you have a seriously fine pad! :P)

Stop trolling will ya.

Ah donal, daddy dv must be so proud!
    It'd bring a tear to a stone to see a father and son on boards together.
    Ha ha ha!

Laugh all you want there but again you are the one getting your facts wrong and looking ridiculous as usual. You do make things too easy for me. Now I think you should leave the proper discussions here to the adults and stop trolling.

What grants are they then?

The ones for people with a sense of entitlement.

Laugh all you want there but again you are the one getting your facts wrong and looking ridiculous as usual. You do make things too easy for me. Now I think you should leave the proper discussions here to the adults and stop trolling.

Adult? YOU? Stop will you, my sides are splitting!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ghandee wrote: »
    Just two previous reminder letters

Stick them in the bin.

If it goes to court (which i doubt) worry about it then.
    Worse case scenario, pay up with late fees.[/QUOTE]

What happened to "Don't Register, Don't Pay" and "All you have to do is do nothing"?

Well these are two very different reasons why taxing your home (or any house) is immoral. And both are different from the earlier one you gave (i.e. you already paid tax via stamp duty).

So the first thing I would have to say is that is your are citing three completely different arguments as THE reason why it is immoral it gives the impression that you are not to convinced yourself about the whole immoral line. ;)

Anyway, to the two reasons above:

The first (because you pay yourself to maintain your home). Well you would pay yourself to maintain a car. So why is it not equally immoral (as opposed to unfair, which is how most would describe it) to tax this? What sets your home apart?

The second (because the tax will be used to bail out bondholders). Leaving aside the fact that only a small portion will be used in this way, could you not equally argue that every other austere measure, including the USC, the various cuts to SW and any new taxes we will be asked to pay (and we will) are equally immoral as they too will, in part, pay off banking debts? So once again, what sets your home apart?

Maybe its time you all admitted that Enda Kenny was talking through his hat a bit when he said that taxing the home was immoral! You are jumping from one flimsy and feeble argument to another. If you or anyone else really could argue that it was immoral you would present a solid, stand up, irrefutable F*** off argument. But nobody has yet made one.

As I said to you before, READ MY POSTS, before you construct a reply.

• Advertisement

Adult? YOU? Stop will you, my sides are splitting!:D:D:D

Shhh now there's a good lad quite clearly you are upset.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement