Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Lorgach wrote: »
    Mass protests ??? . . . Streets overrun with angry protesters ???. . . I don't think so Ghandee. . . This is Ireland, the place where the spineless majority have always depended on the militant minority to achieve their required goals. . . . You only have to look at a little history to realise this.

You need something organised like Egypt's Twitter 'revolt to stir that up. and no

Twitter 'revolt going to happen in the population here, lets face it...! (And its not because of lack of broadband )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    the Fines Act would come into operation and ultimately the fines, penalties and interest could be attached against properties.

Looks like what they're saying is that fines etc would be attached to property?
    The Fines Act provides for a range of collection measures and also provides for imprisonment for failure to pay (s. 19).
    Failure to register and pay the HHC is dealt with under the Fines Act. The court can also order you to pay the charge it self and order costs against you. Failure to pay these would be a separate matter.

Make no mistake - refusal to pay can lead to imprisonment.
    Not going to jail for not paying the hhc, or any fines in relation to it should mean just that, if they didn't mean for it to be interpreted that way, they should come out and say so.
    They probably thought that people would apply some common sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

dvpower wrote: »
    In a thread with more than the average number of dumb posts, this is one of the dumbest.

There is nothing in the legislation that can send you to jail, but if you refuse to pay a fine or comply with a court order then you are in a whole different ballpark and committing a whole range of other offences, for which you most certainly can go to jail.
    The idea that the government could prevent the courts from sending someone to jail no matter how far they go in refusing to pay this charge displays a complete lack of understanding about how our system works.

Do you really believe this? The gullibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

The Fines Act provides for a range of collection measures and also provides for imprisonment for failure to pay (s. 19).
    Failure to register and pay the HHC is dealt with under the Fines Act. The court can also order you to pay the charge it self and order costs against you. Failure to pay these would be a separate matter.

Make no mistake - refusal to pay can lead to imprisonmet

then how come we have people with up to 150 convictions, some for serious crime getting a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

flutered wrote: »
    then how come we have people with up to 150 convictions, some for serious crime getting a slap on the wrist.

Because rape is one thing, but owing money to the government is absolutely unacceptable... unless your within government....

• Advertisement

The tax is not enforceable - just like VAT and the television license. They know that. They are relying on the do gooders that love new taxes and tax hikes, such as dvpower,to pay the tax out of a moral obligation.

Off with him I say. €100 HHC out of his pocket will make up for 1 year of the last 5 years I haven't paid my Television license. From the governments perspective, if we can't get €100 off of tunedout, then we'll just lump another 100€ onto dvpower's bill, problem sorted. I'm happy with that. And dvpower loves tax compliance and moral highground, so he's happy also. It's a win win for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Have all these great people in the dail paid their property tax?i'd love to see proof that they paid.if they expect us to pay then they should be setting an example.show us your receipts braindead enda, arrogant fat phil and svery other d!ck
    !O yeah,i forgot,apart from being heartless lying a$$holes they can just claim it back on expences anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tunedout wrote: »
    The tax is not enforceable - just like VAT and the television license. They know that. They are relying on the do gooders that love new taxes and tax hikes, such as dvpower,to pay the tax out of a moral obligation.

Off with him I say. €100 HHC out of his pocket will make up for 1 year of the last 5 years I haven't paid my Television license. From the governments perspective, if we can't get €100 off of tunedout, then we'll just lump another 100€ onto dvpower's bill, problem sorted. I'm happy with that. And dvpower loves tax compliance and moral highground, so he's happy also. It's a win win for everybody.

I'm interested to see how you're going to hide your house from the Revenue Commissioners.

Do you really believe this? The gullibility.
    Got your tinfoil hat on?
    flutered wrote: »
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In a thread with more than the average number of dumb posts, this is one of the dumbest.

There is nothing in the legislation that can send you to jail, but if you refuse to pay a fine or comply with a court order then you are in a whole different ballpark and committing a whole range of other offences, for which you most certainly can go to jail.
    The idea that the government could prevent the courts from sending someone to jail no matter how far they go in refusing to pay this charge displays a complete lack of understanding about how our system works.

That is hilarious.
    I know a man who lives up our road and he had 3,000e fines from driving offences in court which he didn't pay. The Gardai came and collected him one morning at 8a.m. and took him to Mountjoy. Rumour has it that he was home before them as they had no room for him. He had the slate wiped clean just for being there for 3 hours.
    Fines and jail me a*** and there are loads of instances of this occurring throughout the country.

• Advertisement

tiny timy wrote: »
    Have all these great people in the dail paid their property tax?i'd love to see proof that they paid.if they expect us to pay then they should be setting an example.show us your receipts braindead enda, arrogant fat phil and svery other d!ck
    !O yeah,i forgot,apart from being heartless lying a$$holes they can just claim it back on expences anyway.
    Some of them haven't and openly admit it. Some of them are even encouraging others to break the law.

I agree with you - they need to be made an example of.

That is hilarious.
    I know a man who lives up our road and he had 3,000e fines from driving offences in court which he didn't pay. The Gardai came and collected him one morning at 8a.m. and took him to Mountjoy. Rumour has it that he was home before them as they had no room for him. He had the slate wiped clean just for being there for 3 hours.
    Fines and jail me a*** and there are loads of instances of this occurring throughout the country.
    And there are other instances of people going to prison for not paying (fines resulting from failure to pay) their TV licence.
    All evidence that you can indeed go to jail for not paying fines.

As I said.

I'm interested to see how you're going to hide your house from the Revenue Commissioners.
    He's going to park it in my garden. Freeloader!

And there are other instances of people going to prison for not paying (fines resulting from failure to pay) their TV licence.
    All evidence that you can indeed go to jail for not paying fines.

As I said.

Yes BUT there is a difference between going to prison and being KEPT in prison. This should be obvious as the prisons are full and they have nowhere to put people. You go and they process you and you are sent home -- simple really. All fines are then deemed to be paid.
    Scaremongering does not work either.

Don't be silly. Hiding a house is practically impossible!

Got your tinfoil hat on?

you're the one going around trying to claim that the government can't impact the courts decision....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Yes BUT there is a difference between going to prison and being KEPT in prison. This should be obvious as the prisons are full and they have nowhere to put people. You go and they process you and you are sent home -- simple really. All fines are then deemed to be paid.

Personally it doesnt matter if I was going to go to prison for 3 hours it would be the thought of having a conviction against my name that would bother me the most. I know some people dont care and to them its a mark of coolness and they probably have competitions with their friends to see who can get the most convictions, but I wouldnt even want one.

True, they probably won't hold you for long - if you're lucky.

So I guess if you are willing to take that risk and you're happy to have it on your record that you have served a custodial sentence and all that that entails, by all means, go ahead and evade your €100 charge.

you're the one going around trying to claim that the government can't impact the courts decision....!
    Imagine:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

donalg1 wrote: »
    Personally it doesnt matter if I was going to go to prison for 3 hours it would be the thought of having a conviction against my name that would bother me the most. I know some people dont care and to them its a mark of coolness and they probably have competitions with their friends to see who can get the most convictions, but I wouldnt even want one.

James Reilly, FG minister = defaulter, currently defying a high court order.
    Fidelma Healy Eames,FG senator = car tax evader, train fare dodger.
    Michael Hegarty, the FG leader on Cork County Council = revenue defaulter., charged with drink driving.

Doesn't seem to bother some folk Donal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

They couldn't even cut their pay last year without holding a referendum. One of the few things you might be confident about the government having no real influence over is the judiciary (and rightly so)

How in your opinion would a government influence a judge?

donalg1 wrote: »

Michael Hegarty, the FG leader on Cork County Council = revenue defaulter., charged with drink driving.

I know and mentioned how some people don't care I for one do.

lugha wrote: »
    They couldn't even cut their pay last year without holding a referendum. One of the few things you might be confident about the government having no real influence over is the judiciary (and rightly so)

How in your opinion would a government influence a judge?

Judges are appointed by the Government and can only be sacked by them.
    I wonder now does that power influence some of them?

The Appointment of Judges

Judges are appointed by the President. However, the President performs this task in accordance with Article 13.9 of the Constitution “only on the advice of the Government”. Accordingly, the appointment of judges by the President is a purely formal function, which leaves no discretion to the President. To be eligible for appointment to the Supreme Court or High Court a person must be a practising barrister of at least 12 years standing. [Note, (EGH 2009). Solicitors became qualified for appointment to the High Court and Supreme Court pursuant to the Courts and Court Officers Act 2002.] In the Circuit Court the requisite period of practice for a barrister is10 years. [Note, (EGH 2009).The Courts and Court Officers Act 1995 allowed for the appointment of solicitors as judges of the Circuit Court.] In the District Court a barrister or solicitor must have the experience of 10 years practice before being considered eligible for appointment. Supreme and High Court judges must retire at 72, Circuit Court judges at 70 and District Court judges at 65.

A judge may be removed from office for stated misbehaviour or incapacity, but only after resolutions calling for his or her removal have been passed by the Dail and the Senate.1 There is provision for a judicial enquiry into the conduct of condition of health of a judge of the District Court. 1 The Chief Justice is authorised to exercise a disciplinary function over judges of the District Court where he is of the opinion that the conduct of a judge of the District Court has brought the administration of justice into disrepute. The Chief Justice may interview the justice in private and inform him or her of his opinion.

Its virtually impossible to get rid of a judge. We do have proper judicial separation in this country.

I don't know why people need to debate every nutjob post in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Judges are appointed by the Government and can only be sacked by them.
    Note quite. From what you cite yourself
    A judge may be removed from office for stated misbehaviour or incapacity, but only after resolutions calling for his or her removal have been passed by the Dail and the Senate

If you think sacking a judge is plain sailing I suggest you google Brian Curtin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

And the bould Mick from Wexford??

Le_Dieux wrote: »

And the bould Mick from Wexford??

Bould is far too nice a term for that lad.

lugha wrote: »
    Note quite. From what you cite yourself

If you think sacking a judge is plain sailing I suggest you google Brian Curtin!

I never said it was easy, just that there could POSSIBLY be political influence put to bear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

I see Clare CC might be breaking the law now.

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/20748774/?view=Standard

No legal right to stop people receiving grants according to Enda.
    Another prized **** Up by our prized PS workers.
    Ok donal and daddy come out now, tell me they never said they were witholding grants only prioritising people who paid the HHC.
    I suppose it was never their intention to give the impression that grants would be withheld either.........
    PS joke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    BTW, where is Big Fat Phil these days?

He is travelling around the country, to all the councils, at our expense, to brief them on the most effective methods to get in all the HHC charges from people, ie. withold student grants, disabled persons grants etc.:pac::pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement