Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

darkhorse wrote: »
    He is travelling around the country, to all the councils, at our expense, to brief them on the most effective methods to get in all the HHC charges from people, ie. withold student grants, disabled persons grants etc.:pac::pac::pac:

Yes he's part of a bed-push or hospital trolley-push involving James Reilly. They are collecting buckets of money on the way instead of claiming mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I think we need a new poll to see how has and has not paid it, I have not paid it yet. Jeez I see Keith has closed his account too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I think we need a new poll to see how has and has not paid it, I have not paid it yet. Jeez I see Keith has closed his account too..
    We already have a real poll, that is the actual figures for compliance.

Anyway, apart from AH polls from being completely reliable, this particular one lumps the people who refused to pay in with those who aren't liable in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

darkhorse wrote: »
    He is travelling around the country, to all the councils, at our expense, to brief them on the most effective methods to get in all the HHC charges from people, ie. withold student grants, disabled persons grants etc.:pac::pac::pac:

He was busy with the tidy towns competition for the last few weeks. The HHC has really improved the look of a lot of our rural population centres.

He'll be busy for the next while getting ready for his promotion to the position of Ireland's next European Commissioner.

ncdadam wrote: »
    I see Clare CC might be breaking the law now.

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/20748774/?view=Standard

No legal right to stop people receiving grants according to Enda.
    Another prized **** Up by our prized PS workers.
    Ok donal and daddy come out now, tell me they never said they were witholding grants only prioritising people who paid the HHC.
    I suppose it was never their intention to give the impression that grants would be withheld either.........
    PS joke!

Kind of ironic all the same that they'd take account of the parents 'lack of means' in determining entitlement to grant, while at the same time not linking it to the parents obligation to contribute their fair share of taxes/charges!!

I suppose it might be fairer to just evaluate grant entitlement on the basis of the students income alone (and then every student in the country could get an equal grant of about 5 euro).

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    We already have a real poll, that is the actual figures for compliance.

Anyway, apart from AH polls from being completely reliable, this particular one lumps the people who refused to pay in with those who aren't liable in the first place.

Totally agree. Don't even see the relevance of the poll (other than to point out that the contributors to this forum are considerably more biased / left wing than the population at large).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

He was busy with the tidy towns competition for the last few weeks. The HHC has really improved the look of a lot of our rural population centres.

He'll be busy for the next while getting ready for his promotion to the position of Ireland's next European Commissioner.

He made a right balls up of the hhc, shambles from start to finish, passport scandal, refusal to take a wage cut (due to his personal circumstances), controversy over his soft mortgage terms with fingers, AND refused to pay hits service charge on his Vila but, despite all that, and in true PS/CS of Ireland fashion, he gets promoted?

Have the gov not embarrassed themselves with that imbecile enough without sending him over there to make a complete show of the nation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

-Corkie- wrote: »
    70% of people have paid. Listening to Tipp FM today, a claim by Mattie McGrath yesterday that a disabled man was refused payment of a grand because he hadn't paid his Household Charge were proved false. The bould Mattie jumped the gun and was left with egg on his face!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Kind of ironic all the same that they'd take account of the parents 'lack of means' in determining entitlement to grant, while at the same time not linking it to the parents obligation to contribute their fair share of taxes/charges!!

I suppose it might be fairer to just evaluate grant entitlement on the basis of the students income alone (and then every student in the country could get an equal grant of about 5 euro).

Kind of disgusting that a gang of overpaid PS muppets would attempt to break the law by trying to stop people getting their education!!

Ghandee wrote: »
    He made a right balls up of the hhc, shambles from start to finish, passport scandal, refusal to take a wage cut (due to his personal circumstances), controversy over his soft mortgage terms with fingers, AND refused to pay hits service charge on his Vila but, despite all that, and in true PS/CS of Ireland fashion, he gets promoted?

Have the gov not embarrassed themselves with that imbecile enough without sending him over there to make a complete show of the nation?

I don't disagree with you on any of that. Sometimes it's a handy way of getting rid of a fella you don't want around!!

Next he'll be on the Late Late Show telling us how expensive it is to run two houses (esp in light of the HHC) on this EU Comm salary!!

• Advertisement

Maggie 2 wrote: »
    70% of people have paid. Listening to Tipp FM today, a claim by Mattie McGrath yesterday that a disabled man was refused payment of a grand because he hadn't paid his Household Charge were proved false. The bould Mattie jumped the gun and was left with egg on his face!

Hi Maggie.

You've a source for your 70% claim i presume?
    Or are you jumping the gun too?

Sure didn't they sent that other genius from the dept of finance over there too, Remember Kevin Cardiff? He found €3.6 billion down the back of the couch!
    Over in europe now on €276,000.00 per year.

Kind of disgusting that a gang of overpaid PS muppets would attempt to break the law by trying to stop people getting their education!!

Isn't it amazing how righteous some people get when they think others are (even) attempting to break the law? Yet they have no difficulty advocating the same!!:D

Isn't it amazing how righteous some people get when they think others are (even) attempting to break the law? Yet they have no difficulty advocating the same!!:D

I'm not being paid by the state to do it, am I?:rolleyes:

Hi Ghandee, approx 70%. Depending on whose figures you believe! I go with the official ones.

I'm not being paid by the state to do it, am I?:rolleyes:

I don't believe I ever suggested you get 1 cent from the State?

Hi Ghandee, approx 70%. Depending on whose figures you believe! I go with the official ones.

Define official, and please post a link to the source.

The last i heard from 'official' sources just over a week ago was in and around 60%.

Thanks.

The last i heard from 'official' sources just over a week ago was in and around 60%.

Thanks.
    The last LGMA figures I saw was 62%, but that was over a month ago.

Are you now accepting the official figures?

The last LGMA figures I saw was 62%, but that was over a month ago.

Are you now accepting the official figures?

I've asked for the source, I can't seem to find a recent one.

To answer your question though.

Nope.

I don't believe I ever suggested you get 1 cent from the State?

Let me rephrase that, I am not a paid employee of the state attempting/threatening to break the law.
    All I get, rather my wife gets from this state is the children's allowance.
    I give a hell of a lot more than I take.

• Advertisement

I've asked for the source, I can't seem to find a recent one.

To answer your question though.

Nope.

Why would anyone go to the bother of providing you with information that you have already said you would disregard?

General Question: Does anyone know for certain if Revenue be tasked with following up the accrued arrears (HHC and penalties) when they take up collection responsibility for the new Property Tax? I have seen speculation that they will, but am not sure if this is possible. It would certainly help with compliance imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

lugha wrote: »
    we will be bequeathing an even bigger nightmare to our children / grandchildren than they are currently in line to receive. (Now that would be immoral!).

What would be immoral, in my opinion, would be taking the money one has left, after paying all current taxes and utilities, then paying that money to bondholders via the govt., instead of using said money for feeding one's family. After all, it is pointless even mentioning the fact that our children/grandchildren would have to take on this debt, if they could not work through malnourishment, in order to earn the money to help pay off the debt. In other words, family come first, and I mean first.

Why would anyone go to the bother of providing you with information that you have already said you would disregard?

For the benefit of other readers who may not disregard it?

Be a helpful poster DV.

Thanks.
    I heard it on a local radio programme today, while travelling, but I can't find which one! It was either Tipp FM or Kerry, but neither have it on their websites.

General Question: Does anyone know for certain if Revenue be tasked with following up the accrued arrears (HHC and penalties) when they take up collection responsibility for the new Property Tax? I have seen speculation that they will, but am not sure if this is possible. It would certainly help with compliance imo.

I'm sure more taxpayers money will be wasted chasing up a charge that by that time will no longer exist.
    I wonder how much over the supposed €160 million they were supposed to collect they have spent already.

I heard it on a local radio programme today, while travelling, but I can't find which one! It was either Tipp FM or Kerry, but neither have it on their websites.

They're not official sources though Maggie, let's be honest now are they?

I'm sure more taxpayers money will be wasted chasing up a charge that by that time will no longer exist.
    I wonder how much over the supposed €160 million they were supposed to collect they have spent already.

It's an investment for the future!!
    We'll get a decent sustainable tax base out of this (and it's capable of ultimately bridging at least 10% of our current budget deficit) assuming we can get it up to a reasonable level (say Eur1k per annum).

Also, I very much doubt they have spent anything like Eur100m (which is what has been collected so far). Just getting a little extra productivity out of all those useless PS staff for the same cost!!:D:D

They're not official sources though Maggie, let's be honest now are they?
    ... says the guy who doesn't accept official figures.

• Advertisement

It's an investment for the future!!
    We'll get a decent sustainable tax base out of this (and it's capable of ultimately bridging at least 10% of our current budget deficit) assuming we can get it up to a reasonable level (say Eur1k per annum).

Also, I very much doubt they have spent anything like Eur100m (which is what has been collected so far). Just getting a little extra productivity out of all those useless PS staff for the same cost!!:D:D

:pac::pac::pac:

Don't feed him lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement