Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

bgrizzley wrote: »
    it is up to the government, they can decide to not take people to court.
    The DPP decide who gets taken to court, not the Government.

From the front page of their website:
    DPP wrote:
    The Director makes decisions independently of all other bodies and institutions, including both the Government and the Garda Síochána, and decisions are taken free from political or other influence.

Obviously you can choose to believe that the government secretly make the DPPs decisions for them, but its hard to argue against conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

it is up to the government, they can decide to not take people to court.

Ah no. I don't want that, i want them to take loads to court as it will take people onto the streets and we can then rid ourselves of the gombeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dvpower wrote: »

Obviously you can choose to believe that the government secretly make the DPPs decisions for them, but its hard to argue against conspiracy theories.

Don't mention the Dowra affair then anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

ncdadam wrote: »
    As I've said before Hijpo, lugha's argument, if you could call it that is a bull****e argument scraped from the bottom of the barrel of bull****e arguments.
    Don't feed it.

Very true, point taken and ill know the next time ;)

Don't mention the Dowra affair then anyone.
    ... because it has no relevance to the independence of the DPP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Hijpo wrote: »
    the above quotes are you trying to catagories homes as business's. Not me.
    So you pick out a word in my posts, “business”, take away all the words around it, which clarifies the context and conveys the point I am making, add in your own words to assemble an argument that I am not making (your home should be treated as a business), and then you rebut that makey up argument instead of the one I made?? :eek:

Mad thing is, I think you are actually serious. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

how would the DPP know that John O' Doe from Mullinahone hadnt paid his HHC? do you think they have little secret cameras watching us all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

As I've said before Hijpo, lugha's argument, if you could call it that is a bull****e argument scraped from the bottom of the barrel of bull****e arguments.
    Don't feed it.

Moving along.

I didnt get to see VB tonight, what happend in the debate about the HHC?

Ah no. I don't want that, i want them to take loads to court as it will take people onto the streets and we can then rid ourselves of the gombeens.

i dont either Tayto, but i think the turkeys in the dail may want another term... jailing 600k people may hit their base;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Ouch!

Apart from the HHC.

What does HHC stand for again.

HOUSEHOLD CHARGE

Can ya see this, or will I enlarge it.:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Anyone watch Vincent Browne tonight ? the end segment where they discussed tomorrow mornings newspapers-theres gonna be a story in one of the papers tomorrow about Revenue being in charge of the household tax now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Jellicoe wrote: »
    Speaking of custodial sentences, when are we going to see Bertie, Seanie, Fitzie, Dunner, Paddy De Plasterer and other assorted cronies being dealt with ?

I would say around the same time they drag mr drumm back from america to answer a few questions, then again if he has nothing to hide, would'nt he come back and explain all.

There won't be - the campaign can't even get large numbers out on the streets for a rally, never mind for a campaign of intimidation.

Its not up to the government; its up to the judiciary (I know some people here aren't up up making the distinction).

15.000 marching to the fine gael conference earlier this year-hundreds of thousands still not paying-all it takes is a a spark to the light the match to get people out on the streets.

Am Chile wrote: »
    15.000 marching to the fine gael conference earlier this year-hundreds of thousands still not paying-all it takes is a a spark to the light the match to get people out on the streets.
    The official Garda figures for that protest was 5,000. Not even the organisers put the figure at 15,000.

You're an awful spoofer.

how would the DPP know that John O' Doe from Mullinahone hadnt paid his HHC? do you think they have little secret cameras watching us all?
    Maybe you think that the Local Authorities having started down the road of enforcement will decide not to bother and just take the hit, turning the whole thing into a voluntary tax.
    But you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that.

The official Garda figures for that protest was 5,000. Not even the organisers put the figure at 15,000.

You're an awful spoofer.

The organisers of the event put it at 15.00-over the years numbers at other protests were downplayed by Rte, the numbers at the protest marchs over the Irish ferries dispute in December 2005 were downplayed-the numbers who attended the anti Iraq war protest in march 2003 were downplayed-and the numbers who marched to the fine gael conference were also downplayed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

So far this week we have had 2 LA's, funded by the taxpayer, attempting to break the law and being slapped down by Enda, and now big phil is rowing back on his threat to cut LA funding due to non payment of the HHC.
    Good week for the anti HHC campaign I would have thought.

So far this week we have had 2 LA's, funded by the taxpayer, attempting to break the law and being slapped down by Enda, and now big phil is rowing back on his threat to cut LA funding due to non payment of the HHC.
    Victory is within your grasp:pac:

Maybe you think that the Local Authorities having started down the road of enforcement will decide not to bother and just take the hit, turning the whole thing into a voluntary tax.
    But you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that.

you think for one minute politicans will enforce any law that will jeopardise their seats, this is Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Victory is within your grasp:pac:

People are beginning to see exactly what's happening in this country.
    We seen howlin's 'attempt' to claw back on allowances fail completely and people are seeing how their money is being squandered.
    They won't put up with it for much longer.

• Advertisement

Saw the segment on prime time earlier-last month we all heard Paul Mcsweeny all over national airwaves saying they would have to turn off street lights, close libraries, close parks if more people didn,t pay, now big phil has seemed to have climbed down, so in other words if the remainging per % still don,t pay-the money is still there-complete utter fcuk up.

you think for one minute politicans will enforce any law that will jeopardise their seats, this is Ireland.

Correct, during the last anti water charges campaign a by election in October 1996 although the late Brian Lenihan was elected in that by election-the labour canditate who stood in the by election got an absolute hammering and very low % of the vote, Joe Higgins only missed out on a seat by 252 votes-two months after labour getting a hammering plus with the boycott campaign at that time-Brendan Howlin minister for the environment at that time abolished domestic water charges for the entire country-a lot of people recognized two reasons this happened the boycott campaign and labour knew if domestic water charges weren,t abolished anti water charges canditates were a threat to their dail seats.

Wonder who is gonna take over Environment...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

People are beginning to see exactly what's happening in this country.
    We seen howlin's 'attempt' to claw back on allowances fail completely and people are seeing how their money is being squandered.
    They won't put up with it for much longer.

Yes, we will. We'll bitch and moan, but do **** all about it. We'll continue to take it up the arse, regardless of how unjust it is.

It'll take something a lot more dramatic and controversial than retarded allowances to cause any kind of social change in this apathetic little country.

* Yes, I include myself in all this. And I hate myself for it.

Looks like anyone who thought that the HHC cheats would be left alone was seriously mistaken

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/taxman-told-to-hunt-down-household-charge-dodgers-3235817.html

Not such a good week after all.
    Legislation due after the Budget will hand control of household charge collection to the taxman.

Failure to pay will result in people facing penalties. It will also mean some householders will be unable to get tax clearance certificates.

Revenue will already be in charge of collecting the property tax when it is introduced next year.

But now the tax authorities will get powers to track down household charge dodgers too and collect the arrears.

The law will effectively put the household charge on the same footing as a normal tax.

Am Chile wrote: »
    The organisers of the event put it at 15.00.
    It was more than 15. But closer to 15 than it was to 15,000

Looks like anyone who thought that the HHC cheats would be left alone was seriously mistaken

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/taxman-told-to-hunt-down-household-charge-dodgers-3235817.html

looks like playing a last card to me. they dont use revenue to collect the tv licence so why so worried here?
    pure panic and too late. they look weak and tyrannical.
    revenue can take my TCC from me, FG still wont drive me on to the dole despite their best efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

So the govt admitted defeat? They were unable to introduce and collect it?

Paye workers rarely seek tax clarence certs.

How has this changed anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

For some of us it would be as revealing as a "Bear sh*ts in wood" finding, but for those who peddle the nonsense that our budget adjustments are all to bail out the banks .....
    ERSI wrote:
    A report on the economy has said that cuts must be made to the State budget regardless of any deal to reduce the burden of the bank bailouts.
    :
    :
    :
    It points out that even if there was no national debt to service, there would still be a large budget deficit to close.

Full report

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

lugha wrote: »
    For some of us it would be as revealing as a "Bear sh*ts in wood" finding, but for those who peddle the nonsense that our budget adjustments are all to bail out the banks .....

Full report

You see this large deficit?

It's down to ordinary hard working home owners I presume?

Hence why it's us they're asking to finance it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement