Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

lugha wrote: »
    It is daft to expect people to pay a tax for owning property if they don't own property.

Should people who don't own motors pay motor tax?

renters will pay this tax even though they dont own property(and i agree with you that is daft)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

But we are not considering a council tax, we are lookong at a property tax. If you want to argue that it should be the former then fine. But I suspect you would still have a load that wouldn't pay that either.

And for many, a car is every bit as optional, or not, as a house. You don't have to own either in theory. The reality is rather different.
    Which contradicts your earlier suggestion that a family didn't have the option to take a fl car of the road when you likened car tax and house tax earlier in the year?
    I'm sure you know what I am going to say!:)

A house generates income, actual or notional.

If I gave you the choice of a 200k work of art or a 200k house as a present, which would you take?

Of course if you simply sold it on it wouldn't matter.

But if you decided to keep my generous present then the house you could put to work making money for you, which would be taxed.

If you kept the art though, well all you could do is look at it! You couldn't make money from it. So I don't see the rational for asking you to pay tax?

I'll have the painting please.

In ten years time, the painting may/may not have gone up in value.
    However over a ten year period I seriously doubt I'll have spent the thousands upon thousands of maintenance on the painting as the house.

Silly example tbh.
    Le_Dieux wrote: »
    No disrespect Ghandee, but I can't agree here. I'm not blaming every student, but when 4 of them go p1ssing on a poor homeless man in Stephen's Green, I have absolutly no time for this. I would prefer that students stay away from booze if it is going to end up twith this result.

No disrespect taken.

It's disgusting that students would do that to another human being
    However, my response was merely replying to dx's idiotic suggestion That students buying alcohol should cease doing so, and hand the money over to the govt to pay a 'tax'.

For such a well read man on all things revenue related, I'd have expected him to know that alcohol in Ireland is among the highest taxed alcohol in all of Europe?

So, even by drinking alcohol, the govt are collecting excise duty from these students regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Spokesman for the people back again.

The people are buyin food, normal enough. But then the people are not eating some of that food. They are throwing it away, hundreds of euros worth ever year in the average household. Very strange when the people have no money.

Hi, Spokesman for the people(Is that rich people or poor people)and, it seems, professor of demography. I just cant see people throwing away food, unless, of course, those throwing it away, have a good enough degree of affordability, so, by process of elimination, we are talking about people with plenty of money to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The new poll here is not very encouraging for the Yes side. And the political poll on AH gave Sinn Fein 37% making them the largest party in the country. Meanwhile in the real world.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/poll-fine-gael-support-at-32-567908.html

A new opinion poll shows support for the two government parties is holding up, though Labour is now clearly behind both Sinn Féin and Fianna Fáil.

According to the Sunday Business Post/Red C survey, Fine Gael is still the country's most popular party on 32%, while support for its coalition colleagues Labour, has dropped by one point and now are on 14%.

The two main opposition parties - Fianna Fáil and Sinn Féin - both have 18% support.

We are not likely to get a very balanced discussion here but then we never have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

It was good to see one pro tax poster being honest earlier.
    Lugha, take a bow.
    At least he admits that the property tax has nothing to do with funding LA's and is purely a revenue raising exercise to help reduce the deficit.
    None of this 'poor disabled people/poor old people not getting grants' bu11****e, he called it as it is.

• Advertisement

darkhorse wrote: »
    Hi, Spokesman for the people(Is that rich people or poor people)and, it seems, professor of demography. I just cant see people throwing away food, unless, of course, those throwing it away, have a good enough degree of affordability, so, by process of elimination, we are talking about people with plenty of money to spare.

Hey, darkhorse!
    I'm the spokesman for the people, not dx, he gave me my title earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The new poll here is not very encouraging for the Yes side. And the political poll on AH gave Sinn Fein 37% making them the largest party in the country. Meanwhile in the real world.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/poll-fine-gael-support-at-32-567908.html

A new opinion poll shows support for the two government parties is holding up, though Labour is now clearly behind both Sinn Féin and Fianna Fáil.

According to the Sunday Business Post/Red C survey, Fine Gael is still the country's most popular party on 32%, while support for its coalition colleagues Labour, has dropped by one point and now are on 14%.

The two main opposition parties - Fianna Fáil and Sinn Féin - both have 18% support.

We are not likely to get a very balanced discussion here but then we never have.

So 68% of the voters would not vote for Fine Gael !! Shocking.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    renters will pay this tax even though they dont own property(and i agree with you that is daft)

LA renters?
    RAS renters?
    Rent supplement renters?
    Don't think so.
    They should though, if it's for 'local services' as some here say.

ncdadam wrote: »
    It was good to see one pro tax poster being honest earlier.
    Lugha, take a bow.
    At least he admits that the property tax has nothing to do with funding LA's and is purely a revenue raising exercise to help reduce the deficit.
    None of this 'poor disabled people/poor old people not getting grants' bu11****e, he called it as it is.

Freudian slip I think.

Enda has probably text him by now asking him to remove said comment.

The same as a fishing rod then ha ha :D
    Will they tax fishing rods next.

sorry tayto they already did, they already have two taxes on rods, vat on the purchase and a rod licence to use it for fishing.
    They'll be taxing the ride next.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

sorry tayto they already did, they already have two taxes on rods, vat on the purchase and a rod licence to use it for fishing.

only for certain species.

darkhorse wrote: »

http://www.stopfoodwaste.ie/index.php?id=59&menu=

How much money is this costing?
    Well that depends on how much money you spend on food and whether you waste a lot or not. For some households it can cost well over €1000 each year but the average is closer to €700. But this is only for the actual cost of food and doesn’t take into account the cost of waste disposal or the extra traveling that you have to do.

I said it was very strange. I only appointed myself spokesman for the people to keep company with all the other self appointed spokespersons here who keep telling us what the people will do or not do.

They'd make a fortune off me with that:D:D:D

http://www.stopfoodwaste.ie/index.php?id=59&menu=

How much money is this costing?
    Well that depends on how much money you spend on food and whether you waste a lot or not. For some households it can cost well over €1000 each year but the average is closer to €700. But this is only for the actual cost of food and doesn’t take into account the cost of waste disposal or the extra traveling that you have to do.

I said it was very strange. I only appointed myself spokesman for the people to keep company with all the other self appointed spokespersons here who keep telling us what the people will do or not do.

That's my title, you gave it to me so go and get your own:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Well thats me safe then.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Well thats me safe then.

:D:D:D:D

I think dx has finally lost it.

He doesn't want us buying food, alcohol, phones, going to gaa matches, using the central heating in the house.

He doesn't wasn't us to any of the above things to pay a sham tax, that the dogs oh the street know is going to pay off a debt that isn't ours.

I can't understand why he hasn't been banned for trolling a long time ago tbh.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Strange over the years-I never once had someone try to stop me in the street to ask me my thoughts on what I thought of how political parties are performing for a new survey/poll-nor I have ever had any phone calls or emails sent to me neither asking me my thoughts either-I asked most people I know if they were ever asked to take part in such surveys/polls, turns out no one I know has ever being asked to part in surveys regarding political parties-so as to where these surveys are done or carried out Im at a loss-hands up everyone here, have you ever being asked to part in any survey regarding how political parties are performing ?

LA renters?
    RAS renters?
    Rent supplement renters?
    Don't think so.
    They should though, if it's for 'local services' as some here say.

no, I was just refering to the private sector, ncdadam. the people who work, pay their taxes, dont own any wealth assets and who will have to pay this wealthy landlords tax for him. (and to top it all off they dont get anything for it:eek:)

smash wrote: »
    only for certain species.

theres only a property tax for certain species too, lol

• Advertisement

Am Chile wrote: »
    Strange over the years-I never once had someone try to stop me in the street to ask me my thoughts on what I thought of how political parties are performing for a new survey/poll-nor I have ever had any phone calls or emails sent to me neither asking me my thoughts either-I asked most people I know if they were ever asked to take part in such surveys/polls, turns out no one I know has ever being asked to part in surveys regarding political parties-so as to where these surveys are done or carried out Im at a loss-hands up everyone here, have you ever being asked to part in any survey regarding how political parties are performing ?

I never have either but then again there are people on here who have only ever met four or five people who paid the HHC. It is all very random apparently.

The only people I know who paid are employed* by the PS or semi state companies, oh yea and the mother in law, a pensioner who was afraid of what might happen if she didn't pay.

*I was going to say 'worked' there but I would have been using the term quite loosely.

There's a lot of Enda's friends up for the match. Good time to have a poll for FG. I'm still amazed they only got 32% though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

The only people I know who paid are employed* by the PS or semi state companies, oh yea and the mother in law, a pensioner who was afraid of what might happen if she didn't pay.

*I was going to say 'worked' there but I would have been using the term quite loosely.

Some old age pensioners I know only paid after hearing in the media if people didn,t pay the tax could be deducted from their source of income via their pension-Id say a lot of people paid believing if they didn,t pay the tax would taken at source-which so far to date hasn,t happened to most people who have boycotted this tax-some other people I know in the PS working for the local council were all told if they didn,t pay they would all be put on short time for a period of time-another Idle threat that came to nothing.

Well it turned out some of them are working to process thousands of euros of taxpayers money to pay over to students. Including to households who won't hand over €100 HHC but they know their rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Prob your only post Il prob ever agree with it-some on here who haven,t paid have admitted they haven,t being at any protest marches as of yet-if all the rumours about the next budget come to be true-which Im hoping they will-that will force people to act.

AC, I must hold my hands up and admit I have never been on a protest march in my life ( I am 56yo ).

This bunch of thieving bast*rds masquerading as a government have changed my mind though, I'll be top of the march after the next budget.

Well it turned out some of them are working to process thousands of euros of taxpayers money to pay over to students. Including to households who won't hand over €100 HHC but they know their rights.

Very few students would have been liable for the hhc.

They would however be entitled to the grants.

I see no problem here :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Nope! Nor do I know of anyone ever who was asked to be part of a survey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Aah DV, welcome back.

Now, perhaps I can refresh Your mind and ask You to answer the questions I asked in my post # 8374.
    What was the question?
    I'm not in favour of cronyism if thats what you're asking.

• Advertisement

AC, I must hold my hands up and admit I have never been on a protest march in my life ( I am 56yo ).

This bunch of thieving bast*rds masquerading as a government have changed my mind though, I'll be top of the march after the next budget.

There are a lot of very miserable people on this thread. I like to look on the bright side myself or at least recognise how much worse it could be and how much worse it was in the past.

On average I would say the people of this country are among the top 5% of people in the world in terms of economic wellbeing.
    I just made that figure up but since we are only 5 million out of 6 billion it could be pretty accurate looking at the conditions round the world in which other people live.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement