Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

Fools and gbo****es all of them. I'm 58 and won't pay one red cent. I will march too and so will my friends, some of whom are older than me. We won't pay a tax on our own homes no matter what the consequences. It's time to stand up and fight this unjust tax. I would rather burn my home than pay for it a second time.
    That is pitifully dumb thing to say, particularly since after you got out of jail for arson you would still owe the tax you are trying to criminally evade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Slurryface wrote: »
    That is pitifully dumb thing to say, particularly since after you got out of jail for arson you would still owe the tax you are trying to criminally evade.

Not to mention the emergency services call out charge too (which the hhc supposedly goes towards) ;)

Ghandee wrote: »
    Not to mention the emergency services call out charge too (which the hhc supposedly goes towards) ;)
    Kwy words there are "goes towards" as opposed to completlely covers.;)

Kwy words there are "goes towards" as opposed to completlely covers.;)

"goes towards" yet the bill remains the same?

Rates in the north 'go towards' a vast array of services, yet the end user does not get a separate bill.

Ala,
    refuse collection
    Emergency services
    Health care
    Education.

To name but a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Rates in the north 'go towards' a vast array of services, yet the end user does not get a separate bill.

Ala,
    refuse collection
    Emergency services
    Health care
    Education.

To name but a few.

Would you pay a couple of grand each year for this though, personally I would rather source the above myself

• Advertisement

Ala,
    refuse collection
    Emergency services
    Health care
    Education.

To name but a few.
    Yea, and the North is such a paradise!
    Do you want their dole rates of payment too? And their endemic sectarianism? Not to metion their crippling rates of corporate taxation.
    Maybe you arte that in love with the UK that you would have us rejoin it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Do you want their dole rates of payment too? And their endemic sectarianism? Not to metion their crippling rates of corporate taxation.

jesus lads, if we get the same stuff for the charge as NI well end up with sactarian violence aswell.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Would you pay a couple of grand each year for this though, personally I would rather source the above myself

Couple of grand? No.
    A grand? Yeah.

I've stated on this thread I'd quite happily pay up to a grand if we got the same services included as the north, at the same standard.

Kids education, kids transportation costs to school, kids lunches (school dinners) all covered in the north.
    Refuse collection, between €300-500 per year here (free in north)
    Doctor and A&E/Hospital appointments, all free.
    Prescriptions from pharmacist, average about three pound.
    No toll bridges to contend with, much cheaper road tax.
    (i know is not here yet, but its coming) water unmetered (free)
    No call out bill from emergency services (€500 here)

Add up what you spend in a year with all those separate bills, with a property tax top, and I'm guessing the bargain to be had is in the north.

So, comparing a property tax to the north only suits some of the posters on this thread when they compare how much is paid on one, not what you get for paying it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Couple of grand? No.
    A grand? Yeah.

I've stated on this thread I'd quite happily pay up to a grand if we got the same services included as the north, at the same standard.

Kids education, kids transportation costs to school, kids lunches (school dinners) all covered in the north.

Add up what you spend in a year with all those separate bills, with a property tax top, and I'm guessing the bargain to be had is in the north.

Well in fairness our Govt give a lot of the above already to those on Social Welfare, cheap prescriptions, kids lunches, free primary education, clothing and footwear allowances, medical cards. And all that is before we even get into the amount of money people get on Social Welfare here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ah Jaysus Ali I was in great form last night after a day in Dublin. Sure what's wrong with a good auld "house-warming" every now and again anyway !!
    You should have seen the face on Enda, he was like death warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Note that healthcare in the UK is covered by tax and 11% NI (PRSI), and is not linked to Council Tax.

Our PRSI is 4%.

Geuze wrote: »
    Note that healthcare in the UK is covered by tax and 11% NI (PRSI), and is not linked to Council Tax.

Our PRSI is 4%.
    Yea but they dont have the USC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I got a notice in the post this morning- wasn,t related to the household tax-but a leaflet about the €5 septic tank registration fee which expires on friday-after friday its €50 registration fee-the leaflet protect our water register your septic tank before friday at €5 fee-meanwhile I don,t even have a septic tank as I live in an urban area-more waste of money printing up these leaflets and getting them dropped with peoples post in areas where they don,t even have septic tanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

It's reported that water charges could be up to 400 euro a year:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/196765-bord-gais-charges-water-could-reach-400-year.html

It's so steep in conjunction with everything else and more on the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Yes. I'm only home from Croke Park but that has nothing to do with it. I own my home -- not the Government. Not paying to live in something I provided myself.

By the way I was cheering for Donegal. Also saw the long face on Enda afterwards too.

Your going to have dx on your back now.
    The cheek of you going to Croker and not paying your HHC.
    I hope you weren't drinking and wasting food too........

Am Chile wrote: »
    I got a notice in the post this morning- wasn,t related to the household tax-but a leaflet about the €5 septic tank registration fee which expires on friday-after friday its €50 registration fee-the leaflet protect our water register your septic tank before friday at €5 fee-meanwhile I don,t even have a septic tank as I live in an urban area-more waste of money printing up these leaflets and getting them dropped with peoples post in areas where they don,t even have septic tanks.

That's why the PS get the big money and perks.
    Great at their job altogether, money well spent.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    It's reported that water charges could be up to 400 euro a year:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/196765-bord-gais-charges-water-could-reach-400-year.html

It's so steep in conjunction with everything else and more on the way.

Water is already being paid for from central taxation. It was never 'free- when they try to charge. Just like the household tax, people should just refuse to pay it. All kinds of threats will come no doubt,even threats of cut offs. As soon as it happens the supply will be turned on again just like the last time they tried to bring in water taxes-one Incident during the last anti water charges campaign a private water crew tried to turn off residents water supply-their van was surrounded by angry mobs of people and they trapped for hours -

The only real purpose in setting up Irish Water is to pave the way for the eventual privatisation of water - a bonanza to be handed over to a private operator to profiteer from a vital resource. Otherwise, the government would leave water in control of local authorities.

Thousands of jobs could be created to fix all the leaks in the current water infrastructure using EU structural funding.
    Not happening though, don't know why.

Water is already being paid for from central taxation. It was never 'free- when they try to charge. Just like the household tax, people should just refuse to pay it. All kinds of threats will come no doubt,even threats of cut offs. As soon as it happens the supply will be turned on again just like the last time they tried to bring in water taxes-one Incident during the last anti water charges campaign a private water crew tried to turn off residents water supply-their van was surrounded by angry mobs of people and they trapped for hours -

The only real purpose in setting up Irish Water is to pave the way for the eventual privatisation of water - a bonanza to be handed over to a private operator to profiteer from a vital resource. Otherwise, the government would leave water in control of local authorities.

This is Ireland though, you have to pay for a service with your income tax, PRSI, USC etc etc and then you have to pay again through a HHC and water charges.
    We have to have enough money to pay for peoples LA housing and all the extra's these people get and we have to have enough money to pay a bloated
    PS their inflated wages and pay rises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Couple of grand? No.
    A grand? Yeah.

Ghandee, who You got collecting Your refuse? We have AES and their annual charge is €264...afair

On the water charges, heard some more disturbng news on the radio today: The meters will only be installed come 2016/17, BUT in the meantime they are going to charge a flat rate from 2014. I wonder will this go as smoothly as the HHC?:rolleyes:

I completely concur with this line of thought AC. But is the water already not gone semi-private? Hasn't it been given to BG to 'manage'?

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I completely concur with this line of thought AC. But is the water already not gone semi-private? Hasn't it been given to BG to 'manage'?

Water hasn,t gone semi private yet-as water services is still in control of local authories for the time being.

Water hasn,t gone semi private yet-as water services is still in control of local authories for the time being.

Not disputing what You say AC, but I did hear something on 'Morning Ireland' about Bord Gais taking over the administration of the water.

I could be wrong, and still suffering from the victory at Anfield yesterday;-))

Ghandee, who You got collecting Your refuse? We have AES and their annual charge is €264...afair

On the water charges, heard some more disturbng news on the radio today: The meters will only be installed come 2016/17, BUT in the meantime they are going to charge a flat rate from 2014. I wonder will this go as smoothly as the HHC?:rolleyes:

I don,t think its gonna go so smoothly as everyone in rented accomdation to council housing will be asked to pay water charges-then we have the issue of transferring water services to semi private company which mightn,t go as smoothly as they would like.

Cork
    homes and businesses could be left without water after council workers voted in
    favour of going on strike.
    Some 2,500 Siptu members in water departments
    acro

ss
    the country have voted 92% in favour of strike action.
    Cork City Council and
    Cork County Council staff voted overwhelmingly in support of taking the severest
    form of industrial action, in line with colleagues around the country.

Con
    Casey, Siptu representative, said such an action amounts to a “full withdrawal
    of labour”.

There
    are 54 people employed in City Hall in Water Services and even more in County
    Hall.
    They are responsible for the operation and maintenance of all water
    supplies and sewerage schemes. Their work includes operating treatment plants,
    including the Lee and Inniscarra Waterworks, cleaning and monitoring drains and
    gullies and fixing broken pipes. The ballot was taken due to concerns over the
    Government’s plan to transfer control of the water services from local
    authorities to a new company, Irish Water, which has been set up as a subsidiary
    of Bord Gáis.
    Mr Casey said members were disappointed that the decision to
    set up Irish Water had been taken without any consultation or engagement with
    staff. He said union members were concerned about the future supply of water as
    under the new set-up as it would be controlled by a commercial semi-State
    company instead of being under public ownership.
    Some members fear the
    service could be fully privatised down the line. Workers Party councillor Ted
    Tynan said he was 100% behind the action being taken by workers.

“We
    have seen the great work done by water services staff time and again, but the
    fear is we won’t get the same service under the new Irish Water company as their
    focus will be on making a profit.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/07/19/drought-fear-as-water-workers-vote-for-strike/?fb_action_ids=404418526284567&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=246965925417366

Not disputing what You say AC, but I did hear something on 'Morning Ireland' about Bord Gais taking over the administration of the water.

I could be wrong, and still suffering from the victory at Anfield yesterday;-))

From what I gather their plans for Irish water is that it would be semi private state owned company-for a while that is-until they attempt to fully privatise water services.

ncdadam wrote: »
    Thousands of jobs could be created to fix all the leaks in the current water infrastructure using EU structural funding.
    Not happening though, don't know why.

If they went this route I would have no problem-I can see why they won,t as if they fix and repair the leaks-it sort of kills off their spin water charges are for water conservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

donalg1 wrote: »
    Well in fairness our Govt give a lot of the above already to those on Social Welfare, cheap prescriptions, kids lunches, free primary education, clothing and footwear allowances, medical cards. And all that is before we even get into the amount of money people get on Social Welfare here.

What about those "unfortunate" ones not to be on Social Welfare? Those who struggle to pay a mortgage, doctor visits and expensive medicine, etc? Who's taking care of those ones?

I'm afraid to think of what will happen if I get sick and cannot work for 2-3 weeks as the mortgage will not be paid and for sure nobody will be there for me to give me a hand with it. I sometimes wonder if it's not easier to hand the keys of the house to the bank and live off Social Welfare as it seems that soon enough we won't earn enough cash to pay all the taxes the government want us to pay.

Meantime...................

Public transport prices are to rise - why?

Because fewer people are using the transport and revenues have declined and fuel prices are also a factor.

FFS....................What kind mentality is behind this thinking?? This line of thought is utter crazy. Oh too few people use the bus, do we do something to get them back onto the bus? Or put up the fares to allay the loss of revenue?

This country is going backwards, AND FAST!!!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0924/transport-increase.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm absolutely livid at the moment :mad:

I paid my household charge back in March before the deadline. In July, I received a reminder letter asking me to pay up, I rang up and I explained that I'd paid, they looked up their system and confirm I've paid and apologise for the reminder letter.

In August, I received a second reminder, I rang up again and I received another apology and assurances that I wouldn't receive any further reminder/warning letters.

This morning, I received by third reminder with a threat of legal proceedings within ten days if I don't pay up. I ring up again and request to speak to a manager and he tells me not to worry that thousands of those letters are going out to people who have already paid.

I raise concerns at the amount of money being wasted on needless correspondence as well as the worry that their reminder letters could generate (particularly amongst the elderly etc.) he didn't seem in the slightest bit bothered.

I beginning to regret giving these muppets my money. Sometimes, this country drives me f**king nuts :mad::mad::mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement