Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm absolutely livid at the moment :mad:

I paid my household charge back in March before the deadline. In July, I received a reminder letter asking me to pay up, I rang up and I explained that I'd paid, they looked up their system and confirm I've paid and apologise for the reminder letter.

In August, I received a second reminder, I rang up again and I received another apology and assurances that I wouldn't receive any further reminder/warning letters.

This morning, I received by third reminder with a threat of legal proceedings within ten days if I don't pay up. I ring up again and request to speak to a manager and he tells me not to worry that thousands of those letters are going out to people who have already paid.

I raise concerns at the amount of money being wasted on needless correspondence as well as the worry that their reminder letters could generate (particularly amongst the elderly etc.) he didn't seem in the slightest bit bothered.

I beginning to regret giving these muppets my money. Sometimes, this country drives me f**king nuts :mad::mad::mad:

At least you know how your €100 is being wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Am Chile wrote: »
    If they went this route I would have no problem-I can see why they won,t as if they fix and repair the leaks-it sort of kills off their spin water charges are for water conservation.

There is another thread about water but anyway. The interviewer on Morning Ireland asked four times how much a flat rate charge would be in the absences of meters. The man said he didn't know four times but eventually said that in other countries the charge is typically between €100 and €400. Of course that then gets reported as water charge in Ireland €400. A useful comparison would be England where people pay for water separately from their Council Tax and it is not metered. Listen between 4:20 and 5:40.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0924/iwb-ups-estimate-of-water-metre-installation-time.html?view=print?view=print

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

donalg1 wrote: »
    Well in fairness our Govt give a lot of the above already to those on Social Welfare, cheap prescriptions, kids lunches, free primary education, clothing and footwear allowances, medical cards. And all that is before we even get into the amount of money people get on Social Welfare here.

Agreed. What if one is not on social welfare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I paid my household charge back in March before the deadline. In July, I received a reminder letter asking me to pay up, I rang up and I explained that I'd paid, they looked up their system and confirm I've paid and apologise for the reminder letter.

In August, I received a second reminder, I rang up again and I received another apology and assurances that I wouldn't receive any further reminder/warning letters.

This morning, I received by third reminder with a threat of legal proceedings within ten days if I don't pay up. I ring up again and request to speak to a manager and he tells me not to worry that thousands of those letters are going out to people who have already paid.

I raise concerns at the amount of money being wasted on needless correspondence as well as the worry that their reminder letters could generate (particularly amongst the elderly etc.) he didn't seem in the slightest bit bothered.

I beginning to regret giving these muppets my money. Sometimes, this country drives me f**king nuts :mad::mad::mad:

Mrs D...

Failte:-)

You get reminders after paying. I haven't paid, and haven't got ANY reminder so far.

They waste money sending You reminders...Oh what's the point? They just want to waste money.

We have (what I would call ) a fair transport system, with good equipment moving people all over the country. Now, the numbers have dropped, causing a drop in revenue. What do they do? UP the cost of a ticket, driving more people away from the mode of transport. I cannot get my head around this line of thinking. Surely try something initiative - DROP the cost of a ticket and ( TRY )generate more people oto a bus/train/luas etc. I remember back in the 80's the transport company of Stockholm starting undergrounds. The people boycotted the trams as the cost of a ticket was too much, the authority halved the price of the ticket, they had to eventually buy more carriages.

But no, not here, make the effing ticket more expensive....Basil Fawlty couldn't make this up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

darkhorse wrote: »
    Well in fairness our Govt give a lot of the above already to those on Social Welfare, cheap prescriptions, kids lunches, free primary education, clothing and footwear allowances, medical cards. And all that is before we even get into the amount of money people get on Social Welfare here.

Agreed. What if one is not on social welfare?

Well unless you are a high earner you are pretty much fcuked. I mean the low to middle earners are the ones paying for our ridiculous welfare system after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's nothing. A few months ago they started sending payments back to people because they had arrived a few days late. And then demanded repayment of the original charge plus a tiny penalty fee. It would have cost more to do that than just accept the late payments.

They really haven't a clue and don't care. Sure it's not their money being pissed away

ilovesleep wrote: »
    It's reported that water charges could be up to 400 euro a year:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/196765-bord-gais-charges-water-could-reach-400-year.html

It's so steep in conjunction with everything else and more on the way.

Hey, ils, did ya get that dude the posted the following on the other site:

Seemsquite reasonable as it is just over €1 per day.

How much do you spend on milk per day?

Broke my heart laughing. Is he giving a choice between the two. Really can't stop laughing.:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

To Be honest this doesn,t surprise me one bit-anyone who has registered is now on a database -with hundreds of thousands still not registered the only people they can so far confirm as the the actual owner of a property is those who registered for the household tax,and those registered with the NPPR-since it appears they still haven,t worked out who hasn,t paid and registered it comes as no surprise some people who paid are getting letters -although it remains to be seen how they plan to collect next year whether by source or sending people invoices-anyone who has registered they now know who to send invoices to and whose wages/salary to deduct from.

Broke my heart laughing. Is he giving a choice between the two. Really can't stop laughing.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Was it dx who posted that?

Tune into the frontline later on tonight-property tax will be a subject of discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

If they cared about the €100 and what it is supposedly for then they would be conscious not to fuel the fire that is waste. The fact that they are sending reminders willy nilly shows they really couldnt give a **** about the petty charge leaving us with the registration and proves it was all simply an information gathering exercise. Worse still, even when they have names in there database they still dont know how/choose not to use it to filter out who has paid, dopes.

Congrats to those that paid, you gave them the info they needed not only that but you also paid them to screw you. Ye were fore warned and chose to ignore the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ncdadam wrote: »

Not me. But I certainly won't be paying any heed to Can't Pay bleatings coming out of Donegal now. We're wild poor up in here in Donegal so we are we can't afford anything. They are throwing money round like confetti all year.

ncdadam wrote: »

No, it was on another site. One of the posters here was just using it as a link to some thing someone said about the water charge.

Not me. But I certainly won't be paying any heed to Can't Pay bleatings coming out of Donegal now. We're wild poor up in here in Donegal so we are we can't afford anything. They are throwing money round like confetti all year.

Fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Ghandee, who You got collecting Your refuse? We have AES and their annual charge is €264...afair

On the water charges, heard some more disturbng news on the radio today: The meters will only be installed come 2016/17, BUT in the meantime they are going to charge a flat rate from 2014. I wonder will this go as smoothly as the HHC?:rolleyes:

Hi Le_Dieux,

I was with AES from 07-2011, eventually gave them the boot though when I discovered they were charging me a service charge only (paid per lift on top of that) that was more than my neighbour was paying them per year as a flat rate (all in) :eek:

When I called to cancel, they were all apologetic, and someone should have called to give you that special offer blah blah blah, I was paying something like 260 service charge, then 6 euro per lift on top, the girl living next door to me paid 250 per year, that was all in charge.

Changed last year to Oxygen, and you'd never guess what, only my years contract with then is up now in Oct. (380 per year)
    I've been on to AES since, they now want 378 per year.

Cheapest I've found so far would have to be Ballymore bins, they are looking 23 per month, but they lift the bins weekly (as opposed to fortnight with the rest)

I've been considering just taking my refuse sacks with me to work and availing of the numerous skips in my various customers yards lol :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I note that you are probably from Co. Clare too juding by the forum you mod.
    Clare Co. Co......... the very fuckers who were illegally aiming to block education grants to the children of those who refused to bend to the household charge.

This household charge will be pissed away, so I'll continue to avoid paying it.
    I'm not going to be their enabler.......

Ghandee wrote: »
    Hi Le_Dieux,

I was with AES from 07-2011, eventually gave them the boot though when I discovered they were charging me a service charge only (paid per lift on top of that) that was more than my neighbour was paying them per year as a flat rate (all in) :eek:

When I called to cancel, they were all apologetic, and someone should have called to give you that special offer blah blah blah, I was paying something like 260 service charge, then 6 euro per lift on top, the girl living next door to me paid 250 per year, that was all in charge.

Changed last year to Oxygen, and you'd never guess what, only my years contract with then is up now in Oct. (380 per year)
    I've been on to AES since, they now want 378 per year.

Cheapest I've found so far would have to be Ballymore bins, they are looking 23 per month, but they lift the bins weekly (as opposed to fortnight with the rest)

I've been considering just taking my refuse sacks with me to work and availing of the numerous skips in my various customers yards lol :pac:

apologies all, not really part of the thread...

You surely mean TWO hundred and 78 E's Ghandee???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    apologies all, not really part of the thread...

You surely mean TWO hundred and 78 E's Ghandee???

No definitely not, called them last Wednesday afternoon to be precise.

Even spoofed that oxygen would do them for two fifty per year all in, but they said they couldn't even come close. :mad:

You might get a shock when you go to renew this year mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Hello,

I read that too and it made me laugh. As if you wash yourself or brush your teeth in milk. I didn't agrue with him. I don't post over there at all. But I'm a big reader of p.ie. The forums and the users and the replies can be so so so funny.

Ghandee wrote: »
    No definitely not, called them last Wednesday afternoon to be precise.

Even spoofed that oxygen would do them for two fifty per year all in, but they said they couldn't even come close. :mad:

You might get a shock when you go to renew this year mate.

Thanks for the heads up Ghandee.

Can see a big pow-wow in January with AES...happens every year anyhow;)

• Advertisement

I have only seen the following in one report-I hope its only rumour-if its true all phil hogan is gonna do is make people resent fine gael even more.

Donegal fans will have to produce household charge receipts to attend their team’s homecoming celebrations this evening.

Officials from Donegal County Council will be inspecting the receipts before allowing access to the Diamond in Donegal town centre.

“Phil Hogan made us do it,” a spokesman for the council said. “He couldn’t care less if Jimmy’s winning matches, he just wants Jimmy paying taxes.”

“This is not on and that there,” local Sinn Féin TD Pearse Doherty said.

http://www.themire.net/household-tax-receipts-required-to-attend-donegal-homecoming/

Well unless you are a high earner you are pretty much fcuked. I mean the low to middle earners are the ones paying for our ridiculous welfare system after all.

So, does the government care one iota that a lot of people in the country is pretty much fcuked. No, they just want us to keep paying, over and over. I really despair for this country.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I have only seen the following in one report-I hope its only rumour-if its true all phil hogan is gonna do is make people resent fine gael even more.

Donegal fans will have to produce household charge receipts to attend their team’s homecoming celebrations this evening.

Officials from Donegal County Council will be inspecting the receipts before allowing access to the Diamond in Donegal town centre.

“Phil Hogan made us do it,” a spokesman for the council said. “He couldn’t care less if Jimmy’s winning matches, he just wants Jimmy paying taxes.”

“This is not on and that there,” local Sinn Féin TD Pearse Doherty said.

http://www.themire.net/household-tax-receipts-required-to-attend-donegal-homecoming/

Hardly true now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ffs - that's a satirical blog.

Did I not tell you only three day's ago that they had 20 years to save up the money. Jebus, what's the point in me posting replies if you are not going to read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Frontline is now on RTE 1 and is about the Property Tax. Let's all watch it.

So, does the government care one iota that a lot of people in the country is pretty much fcuked. No, they just want us to keep paying, over and over. I really despair for this country.:(

I.was reading about property taxes in the US. The federal government are dogs. The taxes are very regressive and they've only went up, up, up. Taxes of 5000 euro a year. 10,000 a year. If you can't pay, you're out from your own home.

God, I can see a reason for a property tax here in Ireland but its something I don't want to see. Governments are dogs. Not just in our country. Everywhere.

Its not like a car tax. If you can't afford it, you can take the car of the road. What are you going to do with a property tax? Move out from your home and camp on the ditch outside your house.

Richard is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Richard is hot.
    Nothing like a posh lad with a social conscience ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

" When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes a duty" -- Good woman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement