Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭veryangryman

donalg1 wrote: »
    Ah well in fairness it makes sense that the audience would be made up of those that havent paid, most of the people that have paid have forgotten about it at this stage.

Those most likely to be on TV moaning about it are those that havent paid as they are still livinig in the delusion that this charge may be scrapped.

Oh dont worry - i dont think it will be scrapped. Im just not paying it; simples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Ah well in fairness it makes sense that the audience would be made up of those that havent paid, most of the people that have paid have forgotten about it at this stage.

Those most likely to be on TV moaning about it are those that havent paid as they are still livinig in the delusion that this charge may be scrapped.

Maybe the pro taxers are afraid to show their faces now that they've found out how their €100 is being squandered.
    The embarrassment of it all.....
    At least people who haven't paid will stand up in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I've never been to a TV audience discussion such as the frontline before Donal, so admit I'm unfamiliar with the application process involved when applying for the show.
    I doubt very much though that the applicants for the show do be vetted before they're granted permission to appear on it.

A similar reaction, and display of anger was shown on an edition of the late late show earlier in the year, again, I seriously doubt the powers that be in Montrose interrogated the applicants for that edition of the show?

Let's be honest, on TV shows, radio talk shows, internet forums etc etc etc,the general reaction from the public always tends to be one of anger and uproar, these polls and discussion shows are something the govt can't put their own unique spin to, and mislead the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Ghandee wrote: »
    I've never been to a TV audience discussion such as the frontline before Donal, so admit I'm unfamiliar with the application process involved when applying for the show.
    I doubt very much though that the applicants for the show do be vetted before they're granted permission to appear on it.

A similar reaction, and display of anger was shown on an edition of the late late show earlier in the year, again, I seriously doubt the powers that be in Montrose interrogated the applicants for that edition of the show?

Let's be honest, on TV shows, radio talk shows, internet forums etc etc etc,the general reaction from the public always tends to be one of anger and uproar, these polls and discussion shows are something the govt can't put their own unique spin to, and mislead the public.

I never said they were being vetted or anything like that, I simply said that the people that go to these things are the ones with the axe to grind. Same as people leaving reviews on hotels and what not, generally people are more likely to go on and make a complaint rather than to post a positive story. Again most people wouldnt be bothered going on it as they have paid the charge and so have forgotten about it. The ones with the axe to grind are those hoping it gets scrapped, (which will never happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I never said they were being vetted or anything like that, I simply said that the people that go to these things are the ones with the axe to grind. Same as people leaving reviews on hotels and what not, generally people are more likely to go on and make a complaint rather than to post a positive story. Again most people wouldnt be bothered going on it as they have paid the charge and so have forgotten about it. The ones with the axe to grind are those hoping it gets scrapped, (which will never happen).

Maybe the people who take part in opinion polls which gave the Govt a 32% rating were like the RTE audience i.e. not representative of the population too :rolleyes: It's a mad world altogether.

• Advertisement

Maybe the people who take part in opinion polls which gave the Govt a 32% rating were like the RTE audience i.e. not representative of the population too :rolleyes: It's a mad world altogether.

Its not that mad really a small handful of people asked a question doesnt really give a good reflection of the answers 4million people would give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ncdadam wrote: »
    Maybe the pro taxers are afraid to show their faces now that they've found out how their €100 is being squandered.
    No they won't. The campaign has been based around hiding from the authorities, not facing them.
    Even when public protests are arranged, hardly anyone shows up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

dvpower wrote: »
    No they won't. The campaign has been based around hiding from the authorities, not facing them.
    Even when public protests are arranged, hardly anyone shows up.

Don't see too many bragging about the fact that they paid and looking down their nose at people who haven't.
    Yourself and a few more self righteous posters on here seem to be the ones that do that.
    Anyone I know who paid either works in the PS or paid out of fear, not one has called me a dodger/defaulter, in fact most of them now wish they hadn't paid.
    I suppose it's easy and brave to call someone a tax defaulter while hiding behind a computer screen, it's a different thing saying it to someones face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

No they won't. An overwhelming majority of those liable have have paid the charge, yet polls such as the one attached show people claiming they haven't.
    i for one have no problem admitting I paid and have ran the non pay scroungers from door.

Slurryface wrote: »
    No they won't. An overwhelming majority of those liable have have paid the charge, yet polls such as the one attached show people claiming they haven't.
    i for one have no problem admitting I paid and have ran the non pay scroungers from door.

Welcome back, ian64.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=516837

• Advertisement

I suppose it's easy and brave to call someone a tax defaulter while hiding behind a computer screen, it's a different thing saying it to someones face.
    Why? What would happen if one called a defaulter a defaulter to their face?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Why? What would happen if one called a defaulter a defaulter to their face?

Obviously the people who paid couldnt afford the trip to the studio where as the people who didnt pay are still rich and could well afford the trip, much like them donegal fans. Thats why the audience was so one sided. But it was all over shadowed by the dress code in the dail, they will now solve that problem buy giving an allowance to ministers for suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Check those figures. Fine Gael has 32% and Labour 14%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Slurryface wrote: »

Do you mean by that, that people that have not paid just keep coming up to you door, and for what purpose. Also, if any of your friends did'nt pay, are they now ex-friends.

Its not that mad really a small handful of people asked a question doesnt really give a good reflection of the answers 4million people would give.

A bit like an opinion poll really, when you put it like that.

The campaign has been based around hiding from the authorities, not facing them.

When exactly did they hide.

darkhorse wrote: »
    By not registering they are hiding.

If the campaign had any backbone, it would be a "Do Register, Don't Pay" campaign, but instead they went with an evade detection (i.e hide) strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As has been pointed out above, any organised protests for this have been dismally poor. It's almost as if the entire opposition movement is based around keeping your head down and hoping you don't get noticed.

Indeed, pretty much the basis of the entire campaign was that the register was only to compile a list of homes, and if you didn't register, then they could never make you pay. Even as an earlier post in this thread showed, some anti-HHC people are utterly paranoid about giving their details to anyone from a government body, lest they be "caught" and made pay the tax.

The tactics of those opposed the tax isn't to stand up and say, "I haven't paid and I'm not paying", instead it's to try and hide in crevices and hope that nobody comes knocking on their doors.

seamus wrote: »
    As has been pointed out above, any organised protests for this have been dismally poor. It's almost as if the entire opposition movement is based around keeping your head down and hoping you don't get noticed.

Indeed, pretty much the basis of the entire campaign was that the register was only to compile a list of homes, and if you didn't register, then they could never make you pay. Even as an earlier post in this thread showed, some anti-HHC people are utterly paranoid about giving their details to anyone from a government body, lest they be "caught" and made pay the tax.

The tactics of those opposed the tax isn't to stand up and say, "I haven't paid and I'm not paying", instead it's to try and hide in crevices and hope that nobody comes knocking on their doors.

The part in bold is exactly what their whole campaign is about, they believe that by not registering for the HHC that they will never have to pay it. Granted some will have started off maintaining the whole point of the campaign was to get it scrapped but they have since realised this is never going to happen, so instead they are hoping they dont get noticed. A lot are in the wait and see what happens camp too of course.

If the campaign had any backbone, it would be a "Do Register, Don't Pay" campaign, but instead they went with an evade detection (i.e hide) strategy.

The term 'Turkeys don't vote for Christmas' applies to homeowners as much as politicians.

Why volunteer your details in order to be screwed at a later date?

No lads, wilfully giving up your details makes it too easy.:cool:

• Advertisement

What are you on? Do ya mean that ya can register without paying.

The term 'Turkeys don't vote for Christmas' applies to homeowners as much as politicians.

No lads, wilfully giving up your details makes it too easy.:cool:

You are going to be screwed anyway, so not registering is completely pointless. Well in fact it wastes time and money.

You are going to be screwed anyway, so not registering is completely pointless. Well in fact it wastes time and money.

They'll have to catch up with me before they fall.

And, as I'm exempt until 2014, things aren't looking good for them.

They'll have to catch up with me before they fall.

And, as I'm exempt until 2014, things aren't looking good for them.

Sure you are grand then arent you, no need for you to register at all or even worry about the HHC. I was referring to the others that are liable and think that by not registering they wont have to pay this charge, you know those delusional few.

What are you on? Do ya mean that ya can register without paying.
    Of course

As I have pointed out in a post a few days ago, it is a form of protest not paying. Would you disagree with this statement.

Sure you are grand then arent you, no need for you to register at all or even worry about the HHC. I was referring to the others that are liable and think that by not registering they wont have to pay this charge, you know those delusional few.

I'm thinking ahead Donal

What's unfair is unfair.

I'll not be paying when I am liable, go back and read my post ref rates.

I'll gladly pay in order to receive something, gladly.
    I'll not pay to receive nothing.

No. Turkeys may try to run away, but in the end they get slaughtered.
    Exactly. There is no vision for success in the campaign, so its all around hiding away, because, as you say, if they get your details you're going to be screwed.

If they had organised a "Do Register, Don't Pay" campaign, then the actual strength of resistance would be known, both to the government and to the campaign itself. And people who are willing to stand up and be counted are much more less likely give up when the real pressure is applied.
    I'd have some respect for a campaign like that.

I'm thinking ahead Donal

What's unfair is unfair.

I'll not be paying when I am liable, go back and read my post ref rates.

I'll gladly pay in order to receive something, gladly.
    I'll not pay to receive nothing.

Ah well now I am sure you are receiving something, even the roads you drive on are something, so I guess you should gladly pay.

• Advertisement

Of course

Just as a matter of interest, would you point out on the HHC site where it says you can register without paying, if you are liable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement